Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Retirement: Do we need to be on the same page?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 97
Retirement: Do we need to be on the same page?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I think it matters, I plan on retiring shortly, I want to be able to snowbird and spend my winters somewhere warm, maybe do some traveling, I definately don't want to spend my years with someone that is constrained to a job and a time table.
 TruthGrower
Msg: 98
Retirement: Do we need to be on the same page?
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:10:17 PM
My feeling is that many women just pass on me when they see that I'm an early retiree. Oh well. By the time I get tired of spending a few months a year alone in tropical locales, it will be time to measure me for a box. I can't worry about it. I'm here, and if women want to contact me, I'll say HI back. It is 2012, and it is up to the woman to choose the man, apparently.

Judge me if you want. Overlook me if you want. Decide that I'm 'not your type' without talking to me. I don't care.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:19:17 PM
I think it is important that if the relationship is a serious one that the people involved discuss their retirement plans and be on the same page financially. As for screening, I have never excluded anyone retired but then I never was asked out by anyone who was.
 turnitover1959
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/5/2013 12:11:36 PM
No. No. N/A. Yes. No
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 101
Posted: 6/21/2013 2:42:09 PM
I'm in shock because I just received a fedex package containing approval of my self-nomination for an early retirement incentive offered at my place of work.

Trying to wrap my head around it all. Kind of weird to picture myself at the early bird diner.

It's earlier than I had planned, but it was an offer I can't refuse.
Anyway, I have some personal business to which I must attend, so that gives me some time to regroup.
I guess I'd be more interested in someone with the flexibility to work remotely/ part time or for a few months a year/ contract labor.
I have not decided whether to go back to work in my field, but I know it would most likely be on a reduced basis.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/21/2013 6:32:56 PM
I eliminate retired people because they will have too much time on their hands and I am the opposite very busy with job and kids.
 Proteaus
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/22/2013 7:17:40 AM
If I got involved with some one still in the workforce and we lived together , Because I am retired when they got home ,place would be clean and dinner cooking ,laundry done, yard work done etc . Been single long enough I had to choose , TV dinners or learn to cook .I learned to cook .
 JerseyTea
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/22/2013 8:33:31 PM
I think we would have to be on the same page.... I'm not retired, therefore, I can not just take off somewhere on the spur of the moment... I still have to plan grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc for after work, so some weekends are for catching up on routine stuff, I won't always be available for fun outings, etc. PLUS I'd be as jealous as hell of someone who had all that free time! :)
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/22/2013 9:00:58 PM
I don't mind if someone is retired as long as they realize that I have to work and support myself and can't take off whenever I like.

I've read many profiles of retirees that do state that they want to pick up and travel at a moment's notice, and I tend to click on past those, as I won't be retiring for many years. (sigh)
 andover1111
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2013 2:01:26 PM

I'm in shock because I just received a fedex package containing approval of my self-nomination for an early retirement incentive offered at my place of work.

Congrats, DS, I'm green with envy, I don't think my day will ever come.

I think I could make it work with a retiree, as long as he's willing to get all the house chores done in all that extra time he has. :)
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2013 7:09:51 PM
When I was far away from retirement, only retired men wanted to date me.
Now that I am very, very close to retirement, I only meet men who will be working for a long time.

Oh, well....I guess me and the cat will continue to hang out as we always have done....
 TOaks91360
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/12/2013 1:32:24 PM
Interesting subject I've often thought about. Retirement typically means less income then your working years. I would definitely consider the possibility that an older partner will stop working at some point and their income would be decrease as well.

Retirement adds a whole other dimension to dating...

I've heard women complain that they don't want an older guy who is going to retire before they do. In other words, they don't want to be working while he's fishing:)

A 5-10 year age difference could become an issue when retirement is around the corner.

The few single male coworkers I have in their 50's are stubborn tight wads that have given up on 'dating' because they don't want to share the pot of gold they have. They jokingly tell me that I don't need a serious relationship, I just need a 'companion'. Yeah, right, some woman's gonna be ok watching Netflix and drinking cheap wine at my place so I can save my money for retirement. These are the guys that keep hand lotion and magazines on their night stands....

Ooops, I'm rambling again
 professora
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Retirement and the worker bee
Posted: 7/20/2015 6:39:03 AM
I work full time and love it (teaching nursing)

This seems to be a barrier to finding a mate.

I am passionate about working, am good at what I do and love it but would like to share my life with someone.

Any suggestions?
 rearguard*2
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 6:57:50 AM
Whether you work or not is not likely to be a barrier to finding someone. Its more of how you react to the opportunities that present themselves. If you happen to meet someone you can always retire if you really want to be with them all the time.

Go out more. Take an interest in who you run into.
 ohenryx
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 8:23:05 AM

professora

I am passionate about working, am good at what I do and love it but would like to share my life with someone.

Any suggestions?

If you were only closer, I would have some definite suggestions!

Big sigh...
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/20/2015 9:32:20 AM

professora,
I'm just guessing here, but after peeking at your profile, I suspect, many of the men in your vicinity, are the former men from my vicinity. LOL
It was not uncommon for men my age and older, to BE retired, or be close to retirement. Most often they were looking to move south (Florida) from the north, (Michigan) . ASAP!

When I was looking/searching for a gentleman to date/SO/BF, the BIG reason I set my incoming mail setting to my age and no more than 10 years younger, had EVERYTHING to do retirement.

Where to live when I retire and family ties.
More times than I can remember in a man's profile, older than me, he would state, "Looking forward to retirement, / I AM retired, AND moving south!"
I have nooooo desire to live in Florida (again) AND my family ties are Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana.

LOL, Suggestions? Move up north! Look for a younger man who is still working, and together you can retire, and move back to Florida???? (Just kidding!)
 ohenryx
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 5:50:37 PM
Professora is 69 (and quite attractive), so I’m going to agree with LadyInRed – go younger. Three years ago, I dated a lady who was 71, and she absolutely wore me out. When I last ran into her, a few months back, she was with her new live in boyfriend, who looked to be about 45. And I might add he was looking a little “peaked”. Made me wonder how long he could stand the pace.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 8:10:14 PM
I don't think one retired and one working is a good mix.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Retirement: Do we need to be on the same page?