Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Are British Columbians friendlier      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DameWrite
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Are British Columbians friendlierPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
East Van/Commercial does have character and characters, I gravitate towards it when over there.
What is changing? Are people losing patience? Tolerance? Heart? Is greed or poverty reeking havoc? Have people stopped looking out for one another? I hope not, community is important.
Glad you are doing your part to maintain the authenticity.

Maybe a community pride afternoon picnic is over due?
 Rome_D
Msg: 36
Are British Columbians friendlier
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:52:27 AM
I have lived in BC for 7yrs now, moved from Ontario to escape the snow.
I still can't get to five when I count the number of GOOD friends I can say I have.
It's soooo difficult to break through some of these cliques if a) you didn't go to school here, b) don't make six figures a year c) are a visible minority with a smaller community
Sometimes I really need to remind myself that I still live in Canada.
Of course, Ontario and more specifically Toronto has their fair share of issues but meeting people to hang out with isn't one of them.
I am super friendly, randomly talk to strangers, hold doors, lift strollers down stairs etc.
Initially I can see the tension when I make first contact (uh oh, is my purse and belongings safe? Will this man rape me in broad daylight right in the middle of Cambie?
I'm not making this a racial thing either because I don't think it is that most of the time.

What I do find interesting is the seniors actually engage me in conversation. Where are you from? I love your tattoos...great weather today huh?
Men/women my age who I would assume would be more open to different cultures and perspectives because Canada has certainly become more multi-cultural in the past two decades shun me; shift their gaze as if we didn't just make eye contact and I gave a gracious smile.

Older women always assume I clean up in this city. Sadly, quite the opposite.

Men aren't much better. Unless it's the boyfriend of a friend of a girl I'm dating, hanging out with another guy just isn't happening.
I wen to Trout Lake community centre to play basketball at the public court two days ago by myself, sick of waiting around for the phone to ring.
About 15mins in a much older black man walks up and asks if he can get some shots up.
We shoot around for an hour with no conversation. After the workout he tells me his story:
Moved out here in the 70's from Montreal, loved it at first.
Folks were friendly and he had some of his best years.
In the mid/late 80's, things started to change.
Now he hates it. Has no solid friends/connections after all those years.
I saw myself in 15 years. SCARY. Thinking about moving back to Toronto every other hour since. That really shook me.
 jonabella
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:39:22 AM
East coast>so friendly..West coast we talk..I think we are a big mix of ppl now so on the island ..you meet ppl from elsewhere ...you just never know
 boninibaby
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:47:10 AM
People are as friendly as you are to them...... like attracts like.
Sometimes it just takes time.
As is with anything time tells the story, but you have to be willing to spend the time to open the book.
 pageforyou
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/17/2012 1:50:17 PM
People have agendas and are not always friendly when you are friendly to them! I speak from a fair bit of experience. I don't let that stop me, I just keep on being friendly! : P

My quick answer to this question is in smaller towns in BC they are very warm and friendly. Victoria and Vancouver, unless you are a single guy of ANY age, not so much!
 CharminC
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/18/2012 6:06:30 AM

My quick answer to this question is in smaller towns in BC they are very warm and friendly

Which is why I am highly considering a move to one. Where.. that's the question. (shrugs shoulders)
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/18/2012 8:37:43 AM
I agree with you Page and Charmin smaller towns tend to be friendlier than the big city. I also agree with those that said East Coasters ( and I have found that whether I met them in all over B.C., in northern Alberta, in northern Ontario or on the East Coast ) are a friendlier bunch than people from Ontario, Quebec, Alberta or B.C..

I lives in the Toronto area for 16 yrs I coming from small town England and I did not find Toronto and vicinity to be at all warm and Friendly - then again I don't like big cities. I have found Vancouver to have lost it charm for me over the last 32 years it has gotten to be just another big city in my view.

Personally I have found places like Smithers, Nelson, Rossland and Kimberly to be friendlier than Kamloops, Vernon, Revelstoke, Penticton, Whistler, Squamish or Kelowna when it comes to smaller centers in B.C. Having said that sometimes the perception of how friendly a place is depends on how long it takes you to break into a clique that is suitable for you.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/18/2012 10:35:01 PM
There is a story on the CBC today that deals with this very question,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/06/18/bc-vancouver-friendliness-survey.html
 Kekun
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:26:00 AM
Ah the ugly truth that everybody not coming from a shithole knows way too well. And yet time and time and again we're friendly reminded to just STFU...
 Sherlock121
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:39:52 PM
Wow...

“We found that one in four people are finding it difficult to make friends in Vancouver and one in three people are lonely,” Vancouver Foundation CEO Faye Wightman said Monday.

I guess this is why I see so many pictures in profiles with pets....

Hope you don't mind AddHomonym I put the link in my profile...
 AddHomonym
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/21/2012 1:12:01 AM
I was reading an old journal entry from when I first moved back to Van. I noted that the nurses I saw seemed to behave as though they expected to hear something offensive coming out of my mouth or that I might take offense to something they might have said.

I think this might be a part of the problem and reflects what this province is becoming. Everyone seems so preoccupied with other people's business, it's like the new national pastime out here.
 CharminC
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:10:08 AM
From now on, I am going to make a point to smile and say hello to more and more people just to show I really am not a stereotypical BC biotch.

There's my good deed contribution ya'll
(slurps tea)
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:04:09 AM
Nice to see some new pics Charmin - here I had you pegged as only a coffee drinker.

Anytime you go somewhere and think to yourself " Wow people here a friendly... a little too friendly"... it can serve as a reminder that you have become comfortable in the anonymity that living in a community that is guarded brings.

There is friendly and then there is everyone needs to no everyone's business friendly.

People are as friendly as you are to them...... like attracts like

There is plenty of truth in that if you walk around with a big ol smile on your face and a spring in your step you are bound to get some positive responses - much like a dog approaching you wagging his tail madly - too bad it wasn't that easy for me to get someone to rub my back and scratch me behind the ears.
 Doc_Sage
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/21/2012 4:33:50 PM
The issue is not exclusive to British Columbia. Ever since we entered into the NAFTA, our society has been driven to a cash/work mentality. We have lost the joy of living, we are to busy surviving.

Our leader sold us out.

Doc Sage
 JHFan
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/1/2012 6:40:11 PM
I grew up and spent most of my life in Ontario, specifically Toronto and the surrounding area. From age 6 to 30.

Now I'm in BC again and I was told by my father that BC is a 'friendlier' place but since I've had no real contact with anyone here, I wouldn't know if people are nicer or not compared to in Toronto and the east. My instinct is to stay away from people because of how unfriendly most I've encountered have been throughout many years in the GTA, so I don't know if that's something I should either hold on to, or try to let go of if this is indeed a nicer, friendlier place.

That I'm here on this site is to find out, I suppose. I don't know anyone, so I'm trying to make a friend or two.
 Sillyworld
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2012 10:42:25 AM
Here's a little experiment you can all try. I've already done this.
Go for a walk around the Seawall. Smile and politely say hi or hello to people as you pass by them. Watch their reactions.
Most will flat out refuse to make any resemblance of eye contact.
Of those that do; some will not acknowledge your existence, some will look with confusion as if they are not quite certain what to do, others will look at you with an expression that is clearly saying f**k off, and then there are a few, not many who will return your smile and say hello back. Not many though.
Go ahead, try it.
 JHFan
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/5/2012 8:20:55 PM
I get enough of that kind of thing without having to speak to strangers.

That's why I'm here, which realistically is pointless. It's foolish to think friends can be made online. That's always been my experience yet I'm here anyway. No surprise what that makes me. Better than not trying at all, even though this feels like it's not that far removed from that.
 Sherlock121
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:01:59 AM
Maybe Canadians just don't kiss enough. These results are a bit staggering...

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/88-per-cent-canadians-wish-partner-kissed-them-204709615.html
 pageforyou
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/12/2012 6:40:15 AM
CharminC ~ Nelson or Haida Gwaii(sp sorry!) are my first choices. It depends if you are self employed or in a trade that hasn't and is likely not to go under there, if you can pull it off. There are many incredible small communities in BC that are at least accessible to bigger centers where people tend to look out for each other and be more inclusive to newcomers. As it should be everywhere, in my humble hippy opinion! lol
 Doc_Sage
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/12/2012 5:27:20 PM
+1 for Nelson. Visited Nelson last summer and I could move there tomorrow.

To summarize, we need to smile more, talk to anyone who happen to be in the neighbourhood and kiss much more.

I like that,
Doc Sage
 Asus999
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:02:16 PM
From my own personal experience, I think people in BC are very friendly. I lived in Vancouver (close to UBC) for 2.5 years, before moving to the US. If the job situation (in my line of work) was better, I'd still be there.

The thing that sticks in my head, is when I used to go for walks. People would say hello and some would even stop to chat briefly. Here in LA, everyone pretty much ignores each other. But saying that, LA is a huge city and people drive everywhere. I've heard about the Seattle freeze and how in LA, people only talk to you, if you can get them into the "business".

I also liked the calm and open minded nature of BC'ers. Maybe it's all that *ahem weed.

But saying that, the LA Kings did win the Stanley Cup this year and we did beat the Vancouver Canucks ;)

PS, is that beer "Granville Island Honey Beer" still available there?
 OriginalCityKitty
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/25/2012 9:16:14 PM
I see an awful lot of Toronto-bashing going on in this thread. I don't think that's very fair- you don't go over to the Ontario forums and see a whole bunch of people dissing Vancouver. As I'm sure you can already tell, I'm from Toronto. Born and raised. For the people who said that all they encountered in Toronto was snobby, rude, greedy people- you were probably hanging out in the wrong neighbourhood. I have lived all over the GTA and I know, it is harder to try to get people to talk to you in the downtown core- probably because that's where the white-collar types are, working in their skyscrapers and living in their fancy condos, driving ridiculously expensive cars, etc. If you go to the suburbs, like Scarborough or Etobicoke, it's easier to get to know people. Especially if you live outside Toronto proper, in Pickering/Ajax or Mississauga.

I think it's easier for people with kids to make friends, because you automatically have something in common and it's an instant ice-breaker to sit down on a bench at a playground and watch your kids interact with theirs. People with dogs also have an instant conversation starter.

Unfortunately, I have none of these things. I have to rely on my stunning good looks and charming personality. ;) But seriously, I am probably one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. So far though, my luck with trying to make connections in BC via POF, has been somewhat disappointing.

I am not the type of person to go out and do things by myself a lot. I would never go sit down at a nice restaurant by myself and have dinner, or go to a movie by myself, or even go to a pub and have a drink by myself (I think that one is just asking for trouble). That's why I come on here, to try to meet people in a way that I feel safe, and I can get a feel for who they are and what they're all about, before I put myself in a situation where either I can get hurt, or I just plain waste my time. But it seems like what used to be a great place to meet people and make friends, has become a cesspool of sharks and bottom feeders, looking for a one night stand (or threesomes with their spouses- as I have been propositioned a few times this week).

I think that there are good and bad people no matter where you go. I hope that I will find people in BC warm and friendly, and ready and willing to accept a newcomer- even one from TORONTO. :P

PS- Asus999- probably not a good idea to bring up the Stanley Cup game... Look what they did to the police cars, lol...
 Asus999
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/26/2012 7:59:46 AM

I see an awful lot of Toronto-bashing going on in this thread.

I saw that when I lived in BC also (the TO/Vancouver bashing). A bit like the westside/eastside thing going on out here. Yes, it's still there after all these years.

TO reminded me of London. A huge city, where people are just trying to get from point A to point B. It was such a large city. It was the bitterly cold winters that really turned me off TO, than anything else. I just couldn't cope with the cold climate.

PS- Asus999- probably not a good idea to bring up the Stanley Cup game... Look what they did to the police cars, lol...

No way, were there riots after the LA Kings/Canucks games? News from Canada, rarely makes it down here. Saying that, we've had the odd riot here in LA, when the Lakers win a game.
 Walts
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/26/2012 5:00:46 PM

+1 for Nelson. Visited Nelson last summer and I could move there tomorrow.

One of the places I'm thinking of myself. Don't know why, but I'm really attracted to "those type" of people!!!! ;)
 Ed Bear
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2012 9:28:00 AM
Yeah, but just check out housing costs in Nelson. Then start searching again.
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Are British Columbians friendlier