Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 4
view profile
History
How does your garden grow?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
have you tried gardening at_a_loss?
 Jinley
Msg: 5
How does your garden grow?
Posted: 4/6/2007 1:57:57 PM
Growing seagulls.... Man, I hope you can find some little plastic ones...LMAO!

I planted some basil, cilantro, and stargazer lillies. The herbs are popping up, but I'm not sure if the lillies will show up or not, maybe it's too early for them ?
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/6/2007 2:12:13 PM
My garden grows with bluebelles,****eshells, and one damn weed!!
 summerbout
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/6/2007 3:24:05 PM
I had a vegetable garden for a few years, it was alot of fun. Not only to put those little plants in and watch them grow and bare fruit, but also the tending and caring of the garden as they grew. It was also realy convenient and a good feeling to go out and pick my own produce. There is a real sense of satisfaction and accomplishment to see the plants grow and the blossoms come out, and then for that plant to bare fruit for your labors.

But in the last couple years I have mostly stuck to my flower gardens. I still get all the pleasure and satisfaction in the planting and growing, I just do not have the ready ingredients for my tossed salad.

I have a mixture of perrenials and annuals in my yards every year. And each year I add some more. I love the flowers and the colors. It is peaceful to sit out in the yard among the flowers and watch them grow.

Happy Gardening, I cant wait for the warmer temps, so I can get to work.
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/6/2007 9:06:05 PM
When I was about 9, my dad hung some plastic grapes, an apple, an orange, and a banana from a tree in our backyard. Everyone who saw it said in astonishment "What kind of tree is that?" We'd tell them it was a "special" fruit tree. They'd always feel the fruit and get mad because they were punked. Yep, got a many a laugh out of that one.
 jimi77
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/6/2007 10:37:24 PM
lawn is my thing.. but i also like to grow roses and flowers around the house just to add color ..

try this..
1 cup of liquid dish soap
1 cup of ammonia
1 cup of disinfectant mouth wash
Mixed in a 20 gal hose end sprayer spray the lawn and flowers and watch them grow!

You might also add 1 can of beer & regular soda (not diet) to clear up thatch.

Stuff works like a charm!
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:24:27 AM
Did that recipe come from Paul James, The Gardening Guy for HGTV? He also has a lovely aromatic recipe for Manure Tea, can't remember all that's in it except the poop.
 junipermoon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 11:43:13 AM
many garden centers now have sections offering indigenous varieties. this has a broad range of benefits as it has less negative environmental impact, and ultimately, less labor for the gardener.

people have a tough time converting their land to native varieties, for some reason. i find that gardeners hesitate to relinquish the european cultivars that we typically see in the n. american gardens.

however, once you realize how much appeal the natives really have, you'll wonder what you ever saw in the old world plants.
 jimi77
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/7/2007 11:52:22 AM

Did that recipe come from Paul James, The Gardening Guy

No it came from jerry baker.. he has tons of them and books on all kinds of home made stuff.. I've been using it for 4 years and it works Awesome.. people even coment on my lawn..
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/7/2007 1:54:50 PM
Ahh, yes, Jerry Baker, famed hawker of the Garden Weasel, lol. Our lawn looks terrible, but at least the weeds are green. I think I'm just planting some Beefsteak 'maters this year, gotta have my home grown maters. Food of the gods.
 Duckman_2
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/17/2007 11:09:51 AM
My garden grows awesome with the proper ventilation and the manipulation of the lights to increase production. It also increases the potency, but all the tripping of the shoots gets to be real time consuming.

And those hologen lamps sure suck up the electricity..
 rsx11s
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/17/2007 5:24:00 PM
There's a call in garden show on CBC radio and one day some silver haired old dear called in and asked about her rhododenron. The guy answered that it needed food badly and upon her asking "what's the best thing I can feed it, he said "a cat". Apparantly nothing beats a dead cat buried under a rhododendron for iron, nitrogen, phoshourous, potassium etc.

I remind my own two errant felines of this every time they create the disaster du jour. They just don't seem to get it though.
 swtcarolinej
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2007 4:10:11 PM
Byrd where ARE YOU..DANG I need a man like you..I love to garden but live in an apartment My deck is always got flowers I love impatients,because I am LOL I have a sad looking tomato plant and some herbs this year.. I love spearmint to put in my sun tea..I wish I lived on a farm... I love to watch things grow, my houseplants do very well...I cant imagine not loving plants and did you ever go to a persons home who doesnt have anything alive growing!? It feels strange,I know it just cant be me can it?!?Take care this thread made me smile Thanks!!!
 yna6
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/27/2007 2:22:19 PM
Peppers are doing ok they have small ones on them...tomatoes are up 18 inches....hopefully they will be fine. Stuck a couple geraniums that were inside all winter...they are going nuts! Cucumbers are wriggling all over....training them to go one way, and not the other!

Should have started earlier this year, but hey...can only do so much when broke!
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:00:54 AM
I have an onion in a glass of water in my kitchen, and plan to grow some sprouts in cotton wool soon.
 Chrisb377
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/18/2009 12:24:34 AM
I Have Some Pots Full of Jalapenos and Igrow Aloe For Cuts and Stuff
 junipermoon
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:43:26 AM
i get no sunlight here. so that limits my choices for growing.

has anyone ever grown enchanter's nightshade? i thought it would make a good option since it can take lots of shade, but i've never tried cultivating it. i know where i can get some good (and legal) starts, but how well will it take hold?
 Steel Phoenix
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:00:02 PM
Well, now that it seems the weather will finally cooperate, I have several plants going in over the next few days. Last year because of the cold spring we had, I didn't get everything I wanted to grow, but I still attracted a lot of butterflies, which is what I wanted. This year I am using more mature plants instead of seeds/seedlings and a couple annuals that bloom all summer as well as rose verbenas which bloom from spring to the first frost here as my "anchor" plants, so when some of my others have completed or not begun their blooming periods, there will still be plenty of food for my winged friends and their little ones.

Also later in the summer I can look forward to some 12-foot-tall sunflowers.

Even last year I still managed to attract all sorts of swallowtails, monarchs (got some milkweed en route for them), and sulphurs. Looking forward to this year.
 Bigrockinguy
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/18/2009 5:52:52 PM
With pretty maids all in a row,.....
but then if i had pretty maids to look at who would give a **** about the garden
 junipermoon
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 4:59:05 AM
well, i put in some hepatica, virginia cowslip, jacob's ladder, trout lily and southern blue flag. but something (slugs, possibly) has started eating them. i put a saucer of beer nearby, since everyone claims that will kill slugs. but it hasn't made much of a difference. a neighbor suggested broken glass, but we have so many cats around here. i don't want anyone to get hurt. i plan to hit tractor supply today to see if i can find anything non-toxic to deter whatever's eating the plants.

slugs suck
 cutieliscious
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/17/2009 9:31:54 AM
im just lovin this thread. how do i track it?
 *Sassy Redhead*
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/17/2009 9:38:49 AM
It doesn't because I suck at gardening! I am barely keeping my head above the grass line in my mowing habits. I hate yard work !
 Forumhobbit
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:13:33 AM
I miss having a garden.

I used to plant green peppers, tomatoes, zuchini, cabbage, hot peppers of different varieties, green beans, and corn. Also used to harvest/freeze everything I got out of that garden and could go almost all winter without having to buy veggies. *sigh*

This year it's a couple window boxes with fresh herbs. Cilantro, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Parsley, Chives.
 junipermoon
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 5:38:38 PM
well, now i don't think it's slugs. must be some other critter. so i got a non-toxic (to humans and pets) granule to sprinkle over everything.

i got woodland flowers so that i wouldn't have to mess with them. i really hate going out there due to all the poison ivy. i had to wear all sorts of protective gear just to get everyone in the ground. now i have to mess with bugs
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >