Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 48
Next Step in Human EvolutionPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Yes, I think a meaningful definition of evolution in the future will have to recognize the use of and integration with technology.
 algha
Msg: 49
Next Step in Human Evolution
Posted: 4/10/2007 4:41:31 PM
Someone out there has forgotten that evolution takes time, and we, humans that is have remained pretty static for over 100K and could be considerably more. Unless you believe that is, his/her/it Omnipotence will save us all maybe 9 billion of us in 20 years????......The CLIMATE is changing more rapidly than expected, no ice over north pole in summer in 20 years maybe less. Plants and insects will have to evolve to new environments pretty quick, or we will in the rich countries watch 100's of millions starve within the 20 year time frame. Don't Panic! Humans will allow their technology to evolve and save us all.......????....In your dreams guys! Wake up, smell the air, changed a bit since you were kids or are we all seeing the KINGS new clothes???? We will evolve into chaos, bigger brains, smashed brains, more resources....for some...for a time... The USA is not going to the moon but ARID... Sometimes I wonder if if it is all a dream, or is it everyone is asleep in their own delusion????
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/10/2007 9:02:38 PM
To algha:

I believe global warming is happening, but I don't think in 20 years it'll bring on that kind of a disaster. Even the vast majority of scientists being unjustifiably saddled with the term "alarmists" by some don't predict that. They speak more in terms of temperatures rising by 7 degrees Celsius over 50 - 100 years. Yeah, that'd suuuuuuuck, but it's very different than the scenario you've laid out. Remember, you can find a fringe group saying ANYTHING.

And about evolution taking time, that is true, but we are the first species on Earth for which it is a real prospect to willfully take over the process. That's a whole new ballgame.
 Master_Bates
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/10/2007 11:08:06 PM
I totally agree it will be a whole new ballgame, and I think that is a good thing. It is about time we bring ourselves and our environment into the post Darwinian era. Natural selection and Darwinism is fundamentally evil, and it is only accepted because it is considered natural. If ones sense of ethics is based on moral realism you cannot argue that a system where a sentient being has to endure the hardship, unfairness, and eventual death that is inherent in natural ans sexual selection is not evil. I am not saying that nature is evil in that its intentions are malovent, nature doesn't have intentions. When Mt St Helens erupted it was not evil or had malovent intentions, it was just following a natural process. However, in our perception Mt St Helens committed an act of evil, i.e. if a human were to do what Mt.St. Helens did that human would be considered a mass murderer and hence evil. Nature doesn't care one way or the other about sentinet beings or even has any sort of awareness at all in the sense we think about it, nature is just a heartless system that sentient beings happend to have evolved in.
Is it hubris to think we can and should control our evolution and nature? That is a matter of opinon, but so far we are the only intelligent creatures we are aware of, so it is justified to think that we are the pinnicle of complexity in this universe until we find out otherwise.
We can use advanced science to change both our physical and psychological state to bring about genetic equality in the world. Many people fear the "Gattaga" scenario. Genetic inequality is already the source of most unfairness in this world, including economic inequality. However, we accept genetic inequality because it is "natural". If someone is born into a wealthy family we cry foul and call that person a spoiled brat. How is being born tall, beautiful, or more intelligent than most people any more fair than being born richer than other people when you think about it?
Once our technology allows us to do this would it not be immoral to not act to correct this unfairness if you believe in meritocracy and equal opportunity for all? Something to think about.
As far as what will actually happen in the future, I tend to be more optimistic than everyone who thinks the Malthusian scenario of mass starvation and environmental degradation will occur. It is possible that some misanthropic individual or group will engineer a virus that will kill us all, or some terrorist group detonates a bunch of nuclear weapons in various western cities plunging us into a new dark age, those are unfortunately distinct possibilites, but barring that from happening I see a brighter future than most of the Neo Malthusians on this board do.
Science and technology is rapidly discovering how to control things at the molecular level, and this is a very fundamental transformation, not just some new set of gadgets. Some examples of the possibilities in the near future are computers many thousands times more powerful than we have now, further accelerating technological and scientific progress, cell repair machines that will eventually be able to fix almost anything that is wrong with us, including aging itself.
It will even be concievable that we will be able to produce most items directly from raw materials that are now mass manufactured, dramatically altering the economy. It is even in the realm of possibility to produce good food from scratch without having to grow it, which means there will no longer be a need for agriculture or use of farmland, and all that land can revert to its natural state. Microscopic solar cells could cover roads supplying more energy than we need, the possibilities are incredible if humanity learns to control things at the molecular level, as inconcievable as that seems now.
In the long run if humans continue to improve we will evolve into a race of completely post Darwinian being, perhaps even able to alter our physical constitution and apperance at will. To reach this level I think we will have to become enlightened, meaning fundamentally alter our psychology that has evolved for us to survive in a Darwinian system that will no longer be necessary in a universe of abundance that is possible with very advanced technology.
So I am an optimist and belive that technology CAN save us from a Malthusian fate if humanity goes in the right direction. It can even happen in our lifetime if we plan on living another 30-50 years.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/11/2007 12:54:30 PM
Damned good post, imo, Marco.

Also, it would seem that, at some point, we'll likely have to choose whether to leave behind our carbon-based biology. Would we still be ourselves if we did? I think that's a very hard question to answer. My gut says "no" but my mind wonders.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/12/2007 3:05:52 PM
I'm a firm believer that Autism is the next form of evolution in its early stages..
they have advanced right brain functions, we see as a disability.. But for those who work with them (like my mother) I've seen some AMAZING things, like photographic memories, to superhuman art skills haha, using MS paint to make a lifelike drawing in minutes. Thats my personal thought, why else would it be such a pandemic with 1 in every 150 children being born with it... When science can't find a cause or a reason for it...

whatcha think?

I think that's an interesting idea. I don't believe natural selection would take us in that direction, though, because those abilities come at the cost of other abilities that are necessary for taking care of oneself and successfully reproducing.

It is possible, though, that we may discover a way to "unlock" those abilities, without suffering the negatives currently associated with them, through willful application of research and technologically-induced alterations to ourselves (or possibly new educational techniques?).

Then again, the abilities might explain the disabilities (at least in many cases and to certain degrees). Maybe any of us could learn to do extreme math in our head, for instance, if we spent the majority of every day thinking about it so deeply we shut out pretty much everything else. But then we'd likely wind up suffering disabilities due to never learning other things because we never concentrated on them.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/12/2007 3:54:37 PM
Personally, I don't believe the adage that humans only use 10% of their brains. Brain scans pretty well prove that to be false. While we don't use it all at once, we, barring damage or other conditions, use our entire brain every day.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/15/2007 8:46:17 PM
Needs to straighten something out and fast !!

The "10% brain usage thing" IS A MYTH

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2109291&page=1

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=000B077E-AD46-1047-AD4683414B7F0000&catID=3
 Mr H2O
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/16/2007 5:37:57 AM
A simple look into the brain with catscan and other tests clearly show we use
a lot more of the brain even for simple activities.

I posted a few examples I found in 30 seconds,
let's see how many you find supporting your position.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/16/2007 10:39:16 AM
Concerning what is and what is not evolution, everything passed down from one generation to another is a part of the evolutionary process. Some of them wind up dead ends or don't make a big difference, but that doesn't mean they're not part of evolution.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/16/2007 10:49:58 AM
Blowing the 10% brain usage myth out of the water :

A simple walk down the street involves numerous muscles firing with your nervous
system along with a tremdous amount of sensory information (hearing, eyesight,
smell, touch and taste) being processed simultaneously with feedback .
Throw in a little bit of emotion regarding the days events and the brain is buzzing with activity.

Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) techniques along with positron
emission tomography (PET) techniques are enabling scientists to see whole brain
usage. The Function BIRN (Biomedical Informatics Research Network) is a
consortium of researchers who are taking on the challenge of combining fMRI
datasets from different sites and creating capabilities for large multi-site neuroimaging studies.
Magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) measures neurotransmitter metabolism and
can be used to examine the total brain activity accounted for by changes in a task.

http://www.sfn.org/skins/main/pdf/brainfacts/brainfacts.pdf
 Mr H2O
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/16/2007 1:17:10 PM
See message 64 in this thread, scienceismygod
 Mr H2O
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/16/2007 2:43:26 PM
It's the abundant availability of the truth in microseconds if someone
CHOOSES to look for it and do their homework before posting
on a international forum that astounds me .
 Mr H2O
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/16/2007 6:12:36 PM
absolutely, we will evolve to have bigger brains, bigger eyes, and longer fingers
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/17/2007 2:33:34 AM

A few years ago in anthropology, the professor was discussing the size of the nostrils on apes and the possible enviromental evolutionary implications. He listed various factors as to the cause of this.
He also mentioned that Apes have very big fingers as well. :-)

Sometimes it is the obvious/unobvious things we tend to miss.

^lol! nose pickers nice!!
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/17/2007 3:01:14 PM

A few years ago in anthropology, the professor was discussing the size of the nostrils on apes and the possible enviromental evolutionary implications. He listed various factors as to the cause of this.
He also mentioned that Apes have very big fingers as well. :-)

Sometimes it is the obvious/unobvious things we tend to miss.

Yeah, but how does that explain my big feet and mouth?

Oh, um... oops.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/18/2007 10:25:38 AM
Best of luck to ya' scienceismygod, keep up on the homework
 Mr H2O
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/20/2007 12:54:48 PM
easy on the stereotypes... they're only partly true.
aboot the hoser canucks, eh ; whata crazy bunch of tuque wearing people
 Jarrad_13
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/20/2007 7:50:45 PM

Scientists have been warning of the "big pandemic" for awhile, but that in itself, probably won't spell extinction for us silly human types.

You're right on that, even the most virulent plague leaves survivors because of genetic diversity (some people are immune to HIV for instance). Said virus could however drive the population to low enough levels to effectively wipe out a species as the surviving members would be too few to prevent inbreeding.
 SteveHD
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/26/2007 5:04:45 AM

What other innovations or scientific discoveries could affect the course of human evolution?

I think it's going to depend on what our future environment has to offer. What qualities will a person have to have to in order to be fit enough to survive.

As far stem-cell research, implantation of bio-compatible computer chips, genetic engineering, we have to ask...who is really receiving these treatments.

Come on...lets say discoveries occur in the next 10 years that allow people to live 200 years. Do you think bubba-6-pack is going to be able to get his hands on it? Do you want him to?
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/26/2007 9:19:33 AM
Good point. It seems pretty much inevitable that there will be a split between those who have access to these procedures and actually choose to go through with them and then those who do not.
 Jonathan85
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/26/2007 1:31:55 PM
I think humanity is reaching its cap on evolution. At this point all that is left is further technological and society/cultural evolutions.

Evolution is fueled by natural selection which is a combination of Group AND Individual selection. But in terms of group selection, we've gotten so good that we've changed the rules.

We used to have Child Under 5 Mortality rates of like 60-70% (way, way back). But just from basic hygene (like washing hands with soap and hot water) that dropped to like 28%. In developed countries, CU5M is under 0.8%. This is the main reason contraception is important. I had a huge (2 pages in MS word) post about solutions to stop/reverse population, but that isn't the topic of this thread (parts of it were funny, like wiping out male humans).

As to the smart breeding with the smart. Autism is starting to be believed to be the result of over concentrating "smart genes" (which have yet to be identified).

I think once we figure out how to create/target proteins we will be able to engineer life without messing with DNA. DNA is just the instructions for creating proteins that do stuff in the body. So creating proteins lets us do stuff (such as promote muscle growth which would help fight obsesity and cure muscular dystraphy--probably spelled that wrong). Being able to target/destroy proteins would allow us to STOP certain things (like cancer). Destroy the protein that causes cells to become cancerous. Proteins might also be able to do things like stimulate rapid regeneration or grow replacement body parts (almost no chance of rejection if the new kidney you get comes from you!).
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/3/2007 4:50:13 PM
What makes anyone think we are evolving?
Maybe we have reached the pinnacle of our evolution and are soon to go the way of the dinosaur..
If anything we are moving in the wrong direction, polluting ourselves with drugs, chemicals, and all other forms of toxins. Only to turn around and try to artificially save ourselves from death. Evolution comes when the "strong/adaptive" ones survive and procreate..

Actually, evolution happens with every birth. When "directional" evolutionary pressures are removed or overcome, it just means the species goes into evolutionary "drift" and/or diversification.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/3/2007 4:54:06 PM
Next step? Robotically/electronically enhanced humans to defeat the effects of time/age. And microchip enhanced brains (eg for EU Europeans to be able to speak, via language mini cds, all 23+ official EU languages)!

Yeah, I think that's the direction we'll go if we can sustain thriving societies. What physical form that technology will take on nobody really knows, though we can probably rule out reaching for a mouse to change our mind.
 starrow
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2007 8:34:04 PM
I think the advance in science and technology is just one aspect in the evolution of modern human life.In the past one hundred year,we have adapted to the dramatic change in technology yet changed little in ourselves.Is there still great space left to evolute to a more intelligent species or it's limited by our physiologic structure?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >