Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 88
Next Step in Human EvolutionPage 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Next step? Robotically/electronically enhanced humans to defeat the effects of time/age. And microchip enhanced brains (eg for EU Europeans to be able to speak, via language mini cds, all 23+ official EU languages)!

Yeah, I think that's the direction we'll go if we can sustain thriving societies. What physical form that technology will take on nobody really knows, though we can probably rule out reaching for a mouse to change our mind.
 starrow
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Next Step in Human Evolution
Posted: 5/3/2007 8:34:04 PM
I think the advance in science and technology is just one aspect in the evolution of modern human life.In the past one hundred year,we have adapted to the dramatic change in technology yet changed little in ourselves.Is there still great space left to evolute to a more intelligent species or it's limited by our physiologic structure?
 harviej
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2007 9:15:45 PM
Evolution is too slow and gradual a process for us to describe it as taking 'steps'. We have not faced any evolutionary pressures in such a long time we cannot find any direction to it. If the likely crash of our population happens and there are human survivors we will then see (over many thousands of years) what direction our evolution is headed in.
 gazingatmars
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/22/2007 9:37:36 AM
There's a distinct difference between what my pessimistic and optimistic side sees for our evolution.

From a pessimistic point of view, I see too much hate. The evolution of man involves the evolution of killing machines and biological weapons. Hate will spread through religious beliefs and cultures. Blood will flow in the millions. Poor countries will become poorer and rich countries will become richer. Foods won't be real. They will be genetically altered beyond recongnition. Our climates will change drastically with the change in our oceans currents. Horrible storms will reap havoc. Countries will continue to exploit and drill the earth for what little natural resources we'll have left.

From an optimist standpoint, I see the evolution of thought, the sixth sense and communication. More humans will follow and individulistic spiritual path instead of organized religions. There will be huge advancement in sustainable energy and development. World wide health services and food distribution will be easier because humans will care more about the greater good than huge profits and exploiting the weak. We will see what's good for one is good for all. Advancements in bio-electronics and stem-cell generation will be used for advancement in health across the globe. Human rights will be a world wide standard. A gov't of Earth might exist to stabilize inequalities and mediate disputes. As I read over this part, it sounds a bit commy, but I beleive, optimistically, there must be a happy medium between capitalism and communism which we as a race can acheive.
 peterjames23
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/22/2007 3:36:13 PM
I think fewer and fewer of us are really still evolving and the mass of the human population is devolving (DEVO!) at this time in history. I think that if you can realise who you are as an immortal spirit you will descover other worlds full of very realised beings that you can go to by way of an energetic body. Maybe a few of us will escape extinction with our physical bodies with some kind of life sustaining eco-technology, like we would need to live on Mars, but I think it's only a matter of time before Earth's ecosystems all collapse and make life as we know it impossible.
 peterjames23
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/22/2007 3:42:00 PM
I would love if your optimistic veiw came true. We have such a beautiful planet and so much enjoyment could be had if people could work together and stop using religon, the lobotomy of the masses, as an excuse to put others down.
 yna6
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/24/2007 7:58:56 PM
As a species, we are getting taller. Skin will be lightening up, and may well have a yellowish hue. Eyesight has become less important, no need for it to be as sharp as our ancestors was. The female eyes are moving closer together, rather than being separated further on the head...no need for them to have to watch a wider area, while males eyes are moving out a bit, because visual acurity is not as needed.
Noses and sinus passages seem to be getting larger...we need to have larger air passages and expanded lung capacity to provide more oxygem to larger bodies. Bones are becoming less robust due to the fact that we don't need such skeletal protecting, and muscular definition is slimming itself. We are heading more upright and thinner..placing sensory organs higher.
We deliberatly keep our genetic "errors" within the genepool now, rathe than allow nature to take its course and weed out genetic defects. As mentioned. the c-section allows children with larger heads to be born, genetic diseases that killed many young is now controllable...example, diabetes...there are many others.
Perhaps because we travel so extensivly we will never really adapt to any one place on the planet, but be able to survive easily within many places, as we do now. This could be a good thing if we ever get out to space. We may need these advantages just to expand out there.

We can manipualte the genes now...in the future perhaps we can take it to the point where we can ofrm babies with, say, long flexible fingers for musicians or surgeons. High density muscular structures and shortness inbred into miners, basically, designer people, but the gov't would be deciding how many of what kind they'd need for future employment.

It could well go a lot of ways.
 svj
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/28/2007 1:30:52 AM
As was mentioned in earlier posts, stupid people are out-f*cking smart people at a staggering rate. Every day we do nothing, the world gets dumber.

So we have to nip this thing in the bud.... We need to make a stand to make sure that human evolution goes forward, not back!

That's right girls, go out there and f*ck a genius today!
If you agree with me and live in Winnipeg, email me for specifics.
 svj
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/28/2007 1:31:47 PM
I've been of the mindset for quite some time now that the human genome is due for a split.
Due for a split? That split is already occuring. I don't think it is a function of religion per se... (although I've seen research linking religion and IQ, and it was pretty freaking scary) I believe excessive religion to be more of a symptom rather than a cause...

Intelligence is not a function of purely genetics or environment, it is a product of both.
However, in an strictly practical sense, people with higher intelligence tend to make more money.
Those that make more money can afford better education for their children.
The increasing cost of a quality education is far outpacing that of inflation and wage increases.
Education for those that can't afford it is getting steadily worse. (See "No child left behind")
Meaning the poor increasingly cannot afford to place their children in an intelligence-fostering environment... and the well-to-do can.
So the vicious spirals contintue... the dumb tend to get dumber, and the smart get smarter.

(Before y'all leap on me and say "I'm real smart, but I came from a poor family!" or "What about Paris Hilton? She's dumb as a post!", I want to point out I'm speaking in an evolutionary context. Evolution doesn't work in absolutes... it works in odds and percentages.)

After all, I'm real smart, but I came from a poor family.
And Paris Hilton is dumb as a post.
 Xander54
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:22:12 PM
Evolution is not something that definitely occurs. It is not an ongoing process. There is something called punctuated equillibrium involved. Humanity will not truly "evolve" until there is evolutionary pressure to do so (This is one reason why I hate those X-men movies. They get it all wrong). Perhaps a new rapid killer version of the swine flu will be released killing billions of people save for those that have natural immunity. The few 100,000 that are left might be a new type of human. Not necessarily "better" but they're the one's that survived. There super immunity might eventually lead to a new species of human - one that is immune to all viruses everywhere. That would evolution.

I think what you're interested in learning about is the next step in human "biological advancement." This is a more appropriate term since evlotuion is only concerned with survival; not advancement. I think the next step is probably cerbernetics. The intergration of human and machine has already begun. As we learn more about how to make wet biological systems interact with electrical devices and machines, we'll begin to see some amazing Robocop, T-100, I-Robot-type stuff. The whole Star Trek Borg scenario might not be so far-fetched after all :)
 salmon steak
Msg: 105
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:23:49 AM
probably de-evolution... We keep everyone who should be dead alive and they are allowed to go on and procreate. All the chemicals in the environment and radiation from cellphones probably isn't helping our genetics evolve either
 stargazer1000
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:53:36 AM
Why is there the assumption that evolution is a stepped process? If paleontology has taught scientists anything, it's an ongoing process that is occasionally punctuated by unforeseen circumstances, such as impacts. We adapt or go extinct.
 Xander54
Msg: 107
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:38:30 AM
Why is there the assumption that evolution is a stepped process? If paleontology has taught scientists anything, it's an ongoing process that is occasionally punctuated by unforeseen circumstances, such as impacts. We adapt or go extinct.

This is exactly the point of my post.
 BumFluff122
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/28/2009 6:09:44 PM
there is no such thing a de-evolution when it comes to natural processes.
 kow626
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/29/2009 11:38:13 PM
since we're still advancing in the tech of seeing dream imagery n using brainwaves 2 control virtual environments, our next evolutionary step prolly wont b a physical one since we're about as perfect as we're gonna get, minus curing diseases n stuff like dat. i think our brains will continue 2 evolve n tech will evolve wit it 2 da point of da real world n da virtual world will b blurred n/or mixed.

whose 2 say that we wont ever have digitized, virtual versions of ourselves? like dat anime serial experiment lain? i think dats our nxt step.
 aremeself
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2009 11:58:24 PM
under pressure, we should be evolving continually.

so do we evolve enmasse? how the hell does that work?

shouldn't some obvious human forms have been branching off by now?

still very human, but also different? sorry monkeys wont do! I know you wanted to say ''monkey''!
 Loki1234
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2009 12:08:59 AM
Evolution doesn't have steps.
 CerebralRomantic
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2009 4:39:52 AM
The next step in human evolution is precicely why I find Republicans and conservatives who rail against research to be hilarious.

In explanation it is simply this: We have through our lifestyles and technology essentially halted human evolution.

Our immune systems are probably the only part of us left that is even remotely succeptable to the selective pressures that drive the process of evolution. For everything else we have developed technological crutches that allow anyone and everyone to do just fine and pass on their genetic material no matter what they come into the world with.

We even let stupid people like Rush Limbaugh breed, so even our brains are no longer truely being selected for.

Therefore the next step in human evolution will be one entirely dependent on technology. In particular the technology of genetic engineering. We have hijacked our own evolution and therefore, where we go from here is entirely up to us.
 JustDukky
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/4/2009 8:00:20 AM
@ Brightspark

Once everybody is in agreement, I reckon its kindness.

You got in ahead of me. (That's OK. I guess you're just quicker on the draw than I am.)
I was just about to post that the next step in human evolution will be a moral one...the ascent of compassion.
 JustDukky
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/4/2009 8:17:49 AM
As a sovereign in the world and an arrogant man, I accept your compliment. I also suggest to you that you are quite intelligent in your own right and need not be humble about it.

Well, I guess that's enough, or people are going to start thinking we have a mutual admiration society. Time for a beer!
 Mikezt
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/4/2009 2:15:53 PM
I think in the long term, if we move into space, the result will be a major change in our limbs, we won't need legs anymore and will probably evolve to have 4 arms, assuming we don't colonize some other planet. Even at that, unless the gravity is a kin to that of Earth's, there will be significant physical impact.

Your question about the effect of implanting chips is an interesting one, one I have thought of a lot myself. I think one day we will see cell phones, GPS and other "special chips" implanted directly into our bodies. Who knows where that will lead.
 JustDukky
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/5/2009 2:16:45 PM

I think one day we will see cell phones, GPS and other "special chips" implanted directly into our bodies. Who knows where that will lead.

I suggest you watch "The President's Analyst." It was a funny movie made in the 60's that might give you an idea about who might really be running things and their nefarious plans for our future. (No it wasn't the phone company, but for 1969, that was a pretty good guess)
 lucaspa
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 2:42:45 PM
Ooli oop, you have the common misconception that evolution happens to large populations. Most evolution happens in small, isolated populations. Also, you only list technical changes. These are not biological evolution.

What would affect biological evolution is 1) climate change or 2) having humans fragmented into different environments, either by economics or geography. The small populations would face different environments and thus would be subject to different natural selection pressures. The result would be the splitting of H. sapiens into 2 or more new species of Homo. This is already happening among Andean and Himalayan highlanders and the !Kung. The opposing force is gene flow between populations. As long as there is 1) intermarriage between economic classes and/or 2) good transportation, gene flow will stop speciation.
 LeCutter
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/6/2009 12:28:01 AM
Yeah, I vote extinction. I think we're far too myopic and atavistic as a species to make it in the long run. The dino's had tens of millions of years just living in harmony with nature. We've had what, really? 200 years of industrialization and the planet is almost done. Nah, we're pretty much cooked here.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 119
Posted: 7/13/2009 9:33:33 AM
This is one of my favorite subjects to imagine and babble about with a friend over tea. The "what if" and the "maybe...", as well as the past.
I loooove evolutionary biology and evo psych.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >