Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Loki1234
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Next Step in Human EvolutionPage 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Evolution doesn't have steps.
 CerebralRomantic
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Next Step in Human Evolution
Posted: 7/4/2009 4:39:52 AM
The next step in human evolution is precicely why I find Republicans and conservatives who rail against research to be hilarious.

In explanation it is simply this: We have through our lifestyles and technology essentially halted human evolution.

Our immune systems are probably the only part of us left that is even remotely succeptable to the selective pressures that drive the process of evolution. For everything else we have developed technological crutches that allow anyone and everyone to do just fine and pass on their genetic material no matter what they come into the world with.

We even let stupid people like Rush Limbaugh breed, so even our brains are no longer truely being selected for.

Therefore the next step in human evolution will be one entirely dependent on technology. In particular the technology of genetic engineering. We have hijacked our own evolution and therefore, where we go from here is entirely up to us.
 JustDukky
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/4/2009 8:00:20 AM
@ Brightspark

Once everybody is in agreement, I reckon its kindness.

You got in ahead of me. (That's OK. I guess you're just quicker on the draw than I am.)
I was just about to post that the next step in human evolution will be a moral one...the ascent of compassion.
 JustDukky
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/4/2009 8:17:49 AM
As a sovereign in the world and an arrogant man, I accept your compliment. I also suggest to you that you are quite intelligent in your own right and need not be humble about it.

Well, I guess that's enough, or people are going to start thinking we have a mutual admiration society. Time for a beer!
 Mikezt
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/4/2009 2:15:53 PM
I think in the long term, if we move into space, the result will be a major change in our limbs, we won't need legs anymore and will probably evolve to have 4 arms, assuming we don't colonize some other planet. Even at that, unless the gravity is a kin to that of Earth's, there will be significant physical impact.

Your question about the effect of implanting chips is an interesting one, one I have thought of a lot myself. I think one day we will see cell phones, GPS and other "special chips" implanted directly into our bodies. Who knows where that will lead.
 JustDukky
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/5/2009 2:16:45 PM

I think one day we will see cell phones, GPS and other "special chips" implanted directly into our bodies. Who knows where that will lead.

I suggest you watch "The President's Analyst." It was a funny movie made in the 60's that might give you an idea about who might really be running things and their nefarious plans for our future. (No it wasn't the phone company, but for 1969, that was a pretty good guess)
 lucaspa
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 2:42:45 PM
Ooli oop, you have the common misconception that evolution happens to large populations. Most evolution happens in small, isolated populations. Also, you only list technical changes. These are not biological evolution.

What would affect biological evolution is 1) climate change or 2) having humans fragmented into different environments, either by economics or geography. The small populations would face different environments and thus would be subject to different natural selection pressures. The result would be the splitting of H. sapiens into 2 or more new species of Homo. This is already happening among Andean and Himalayan highlanders and the !Kung. The opposing force is gene flow between populations. As long as there is 1) intermarriage between economic classes and/or 2) good transportation, gene flow will stop speciation.
 LeCutter
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/6/2009 12:28:01 AM
Yeah, I vote extinction. I think we're far too myopic and atavistic as a species to make it in the long run. The dino's had tens of millions of years just living in harmony with nature. We've had what, really? 200 years of industrialization and the planet is almost done. Nah, we're pretty much cooked here.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 119
Posted: 7/13/2009 9:33:33 AM
This is one of my favorite subjects to imagine and babble about with a friend over tea. The "what if" and the "maybe...", as well as the past.
I loooove evolutionary biology and evo psych.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >