Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > U2      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 11
view profile
History
U2Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Tell him I want my five bucks back for Rattle and Hum....it was a Lemon.
 belly18dancer
Msg: 12
U2
Posted: 10/8/2006 9:29:54 AM
U2's "New Year's Day" was the first video I ever saw on MTV. It chills me today to hear that song. My fave song of all time is "Pride in the Name of Love". It makes me want to stand up and march whenever I hear it...

Yes, U2 has a sound....when they tried different stuff it wasn't well received. The bands who have lasted, like Aerosmith, Chilli Peppers, really are turning out music that is similar to what they have always done. They just turn new fans onto it. That's why there are still old guys putting out their albums...and touring...and why us old people continue to buy them and go see them.

Bono gets put down a lot for his political gestures and that is just wrong. He's trying to help make a difference in this world. He's always been political but now has the money and power to get people to listen. I wish more people with money would use it for good rather than spend it on their cribs, rides and closets.
 toonsmith
Msg: 13
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/9/2006 3:57:18 PM
I have the DVD Vertigo - Live in Chicago.

I thought it was going to be awesome when I bought it. But I grew bored twenty minutes into it. They seemed tired and just going through the motions. It was a jukebox of their greatest hits.

Nothing new, nothing really exciting.

Same songs, choreographed stage moves, bright lights, lots of noise, and at times, Bono was just plain out of breath.

Gone was the youthful U2 of "Live at Red Rocks".

Gone was the majestic sweep of "Bad" from their Live Aid performance.

If anything, U2 reminded me of that old band Kraftwerk, who sent out robot animatronic replicas of themselves out on tour.

Same songs, same notes, but after awhile, you notice the fire went out awhile back.

Now I know a lot of you will disagree and loudly voice your objections and proclaim your loyalty. I am probably speaking profanely to those deeply devoted to this band.

But I am a fan. After all, I did go out and buy the DVD.... and yes, I thought "Dismantle the Atomic Bomb" was terrible.

It's just sad to see a band get so big, that they lost their way in the bright glare of fame and fortune.

Watch out guys, look what happened to Elvis.

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 14
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/12/2006 11:06:59 PM
As much as I have been disappointed with U2's recent releases, I know that they do have the ability to come out with something that will blow us away.

I may gripe, but when I see that shrink wrapped sucker that says U2 on the label, I will curse, mutter, moan and groan.... then put it in the shopping cart.

Fingers crossed for the future.

Maybe it's time to quit touring and hunker down in the studio to come up with their own Sgt Pepper?
 spartanis
Msg: 15
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/14/2006 10:36:30 PM
Ah yes, one of the greatest "Rock" band in the world. You cant go wrong with U2.

Their Album music is variant, never the same style, the same tunes and wot not. Mainly to try to rreach to every listeners in tthe world that like this kind of music and this kind and that etc etc, but they realised that their old style is the best that generate plenty of sales than their "pop" version.

What makes the band successfull, is Bono himself. I have listened to his solo and his collab works and his songs written for other artist. And he is just brilliantly talented.

My favourites are as follows:

1) Pride, in the name of love
2) All I want
3) With or without you
4) I will follow
5) Where the streets have no name
6) Desire
7) In the name of the father (Collab)
8) The Theif of your heart (Sung by Sinead O'connor)
9) Stay, (o close, so far)
10) Lemon (:P its a cool music tthis one lol)

May they rock on until they feel they are ready for retirement :P
 belly18dancer
Msg: 16
U2
Posted: 10/18/2006 7:02:41 PM
and did i mention Larry mullen Jr. is a hottie
 toonsmith
Msg: 17
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/19/2006 5:14:07 PM
Not if it's a pale imitation of what they did before, which is why the last album (which many people listened to and did NOT like) critically failed. Vertigo was the only one that rocked and the rest sounded like filler.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 18
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/19/2006 5:51:07 PM
I wonder if U2 have reached the point in their career where any current or future work will be unfavourably compared to their past releases.

What I mean is that long time fans can sometimes be the hardest critics of artists that have been around for a number of years/decades that are still releasing new music.

The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Page/Robert Plant, David Bowie & Paul McCartney, for example, seem to have to compete with their past and their newer work gets overlooked.

If something like "Vertigo" was released by a new band, would they be seen as the next big thing?

Probably the only album by U2 I didn't care much for was "Pop" but I did like the last two albums and I look forward to their next release rumoured to be out sometime in 2007.

Just my 2 cents...
 toonsmith
Msg: 19
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/19/2006 9:26:14 PM
What I mean is that long time fans can sometimes be the hardest critics of artists that have been around for a number of years/decades that are still releasing new music.

The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Page/Robert Plant, David Bowie & Paul McCartney, for example, seem to have to compete with their past and their newer work gets overlooked.

^^^

All are still recording, but with varying levels of commercial success. Will Paul McCartney ever dominate the charts with hits like he once did?

Unlikely.

But he is still putting out creative work that is being bought by older fans.

Jimmy Page/Robert Plant released a half hearted collaboration "Walking into Clarkdale" that just didn't work, although the tours were a great success.

The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang....A big bust. (Their performances sell better than their recorded output these days)

David Bowie has managed to release several albums very high in quality. Maybe some of the best in his career. But it did not attract the attention of the younger buying public. He took the last year off.

I would guess that Vertigo attracted fans that were too young to have heard the older U2 material. The album sold well.

Doesn't mean it was as good as the old stuff.

Then again, it is hard to top Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, and Actung Baby. The new album was not a new direction in music. It was just..... blah.

and you can talk to the veterans above , they've released plenty of ... "blah" in their day.

The Rolling Stones even called one of their greatest hits albums..."Sucking in the Seventies".
 chaotic.neutral
Msg: 20
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 10/20/2006 2:50:52 AM
Ultimately though, music is a personal choice. I have been a U2 fan since early on. I like Vertigo. I don't like it as much as Achtung Baby, but I like that U2 keep reinventing themselves. Sometimes not a interesting as past inventions like Achtung, but for me one of the things I like about U2 is that they haven't released the "same" album for 20 years, they've taken risks and changed. Sometimes not for the better but they have tried new things and sometimes pushed the envelope.
 chaotic.neutral
Msg: 21
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 12/28/2006 5:11:56 PM
it took me a few listens of Window In the Skies to like it and now I love it. The video is awesome....

since the early 80s, i've loved U2 and Depeche Mode. I go hot and cold - love some stuff don't like others... but really both bands and U2 especially, I have always enjoyed their music...
 nhbradio
Msg: 22
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 4/9/2007 11:15:46 PM
bono an the boys back in the day
u2 today

its just not the same, its the old story of the great band that was kick ass back in the day. And now suck because ass holes like Bono get so full of them selfs they forget what made them create great music to begain with.
 toonsmith
Msg: 23
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 4/10/2007 12:23:12 AM
Bono, the lead singer of the band U2 is famous throughout the entertainment industry for being more than just a little self-righteous.

He was playing a U2 concert in Glasgow, Scotland, when he asked the audience for total quiet.

Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands, once every few seconds. Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the microphone, "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice with a broad Scottish accent, from near the front of the crowd, pierces the silence.............

"Well, fookin stop doin it then!"

Toon (I love that story)
 Thatguy67
Msg: 24
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 12/19/2008 12:06:07 PM
If you're a fan of U2, their new album has been slated for a March 03, 2009 release. It is gonna be called "No Line On The Horizon" with a tour to follow.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/u2-looks-toward-new-horizon-1003923902.story

Thatguy67
Msg: 25
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 12/22/2008 3:06:58 PM
Apparantly, the new album in 2009 will have five different versions including a digipack version, and a box set version. They will have dvd extras, posters, booklets, and download access info, if anyone has the bucks to fork over.

Thatguy67
Msg: 26
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 2/12/2009 11:41:42 AM
These guys are gonna be playing five consecutive nights on the David Letterman show in early March.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/u2-playing-five-nights-on-letterman-1003941183.story

RobertKoi
Msg: 27
U2
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:30:31 PM
All I Want Is You now. :)
 toonsmith
Msg: 28
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 2/19/2009 11:21:01 PM
The new album has been leaked. I just listened to it.

Moment of Surrender is my favorite track so far. The only way that I can really describe it.. This music has soul. It sounds like they played for themselves and we the world, are invited to listen.

Some of these tracks are very mellow and understated. I like the direction they took. We didn't need another anthem rouser. This is the band taking chances and I doubt this will be a huge million seller... even though it's U2?

This is a CD that takes multiple listens, and each time I listen, it grows more on me. It's multilayered, understated and fascinating? There are beautiful guitar solos by the Edge that twist and intertwine with the melody. It's just good guitar work that impresses.

The more I listen.. the more I like.

This could be possibly one of the best U2 albums since Unforgettable Fire.
 toonsmith
Msg: 29
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 2/21/2009 9:14:22 PM
I would have to say that the first two songs that were released early were nothing special. I fast forward through them to get to the good stuff. It's not an album that jumps out suddenly at you.... meaning, it's not like Joshua Tree. It's not a safe album ready for predicted marketability either?

To me, it sounds like musicians finding a groove and satisfying themselves musically? It's not earth shattering, nor will it be as revolutionary as something like "Pet Sounds". But it is good and multilayered. The more I listen, the more I enjoy.

A tough one to recommend though? I just personally like it and it's just not like the other U2 albums.

That, in itself, is very refreshing.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 30
U2
Posted: 2/22/2009 7:21:57 PM
No Line On the Horizon is a winner! It's the best CD since Achtung Baby in my opinion. Check out the Get On Your Boots video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fIyTmkKO68
 toonsmith
Msg: 31
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 2/22/2009 11:35:46 PM
It's interesting with all the expections of such a long lasting band, that they can suprise us even after all these years? I say bravo.

I can live with a couple of dud tracks in exchange for some that just simply blow me away? That is the interesting thing about songs that mystify and intrigue you on the first listen.

You get hooked and listen to them again and again, discovering new and interesting musicial ideas. What an journey!

This is one of those albums. After I've paid attention to the great fretwork, vocals and rhythm section, I'll pay some atttention to the lyrics..... there is a lot to chew over. I love that!

Some great music by some classic rock acts this year. It sure brings a smile to this old fan.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 32
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 2/23/2009 6:10:42 AM
I think this album is gonna be much like Zooropa for me. I had to listen to Zooropa at least half a dozen times before I could really get into it. It became one of my favourites (especially the tune with Johnny Cash) from those fellas.

Thatguy67
Msg: 33
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 4/6/2009 2:52:16 PM
I just bought the box set version of their new album.....

Twill348
Msg: 34
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 4/7/2009 3:53:09 PM
I can't beleive no one has mentioned U23D! REALLY!
 rudebhoy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
U2
Posted: 4/8/2009 8:00:07 AM
bono the politician always raises a laugh- the fact that he rates tony blair pretty much sums things up...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > U2