Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Do Cover Bands always suck?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 7
Do Cover Bands always suck?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Cover bands can be very good and very entertaining. I live in a college town where you have to be good to have the regular gigs on the best nights at the best bars. And it's the audience that dictates what songs can be played.

Not everywhere is NYC (or other artsy metropolis) where good musicians can make a living playing their own stuff.
 Vintage Princess
Msg: 8
Do Cover Bands always suck?
Posted: 3/17/2008 12:07:17 AM
I've heard some amazing cover bands and some horrible cover bands.
Keep in mind when your comparing anything to the original its a very difficult scale to be put against.
Some cover bands put their own spin on the songs which gives the songs a unique sound, but some audience members might think ' hey that song was all wrong!'.
 Zhaed
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/17/2008 1:38:45 AM
Well there's a big difference between a cover band, and a band that does covers.

A cover band is a band that strives to sound like the original recording. It's funny, this is often exceptionally hard to acomplish, but yet this is where most bands start at when getting gigs at clubs or bars. For the most part, these bands play mostly if not all cover songs. Little to no original material. Doesn't mean that they have no tallent, they just know that covers will get them gigs weither they sound great, or only so-so. Apart from learning songs, there's little effort required, so a lot of amature fledgling weekend musicians follow this route.

Then there's the band that does covers. In this case the band in question writes a lot of their own material, and covers a few songs in their own style. Some times only keeping their lyrics. These bands often put more than just tallent into the music they perform. They also put a part of their soul when writing or re-aranging. I think the audiance responds more favorably wheither they relize it or not.

Personally, I have been in both of these types. The coverband is a lot less work, and it's not about how good the songs are, but how many you can play at the 'OK' level. Though as a musician and an audiance member, the later offers better rewards.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 10:13:08 AM
I don't think that because someone is playing in a tribute band, or covering someone else's songs, they aren't "real" or "professional" musicians. They aren't trying to prove to anyone that they are real artists by writing their own songs. Hell, Elvis never wrote his own songs, and he's considered the King of Rock and Roll by some.

A lot of them get into these bands because they LOVE THE BAND THEY ARE COVERING. I've had the pleasure of making friends over the years with musicians who play in cover bands, and they always tell me the same thing.

Personally, I'm all about the cover/tribute bands. Especially classic rock bands, I hear interviews from rock stars talking about how tired they get playing the same old songs over and over again. But with the cover bands, they are enthusiastic about what they are playing--you never get the sense that they are bored or don't want to be there. I've been to concerts where it felt like the band could have phoned in their performance.

There's a David Bowie one that I follow pretty faithfully from Cleveland (about two hours away from where I live). Not only are they faithful to Bowie's music (costume changes, etc.), they also are amazing musicians and the nicest people in the world. Every time I go see them they always talk to me and say thanks for driving that far to see them. And that makes the trip worthwhile.

I'd rather pay $5-$10 for a good fascimile and be right in the front, hear music being played by someone who actually WANTS to be there and loves what they do than pay $100-$200 for the real deal and sit 30 rows back.

DJMac
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2008 2:05:20 PM
A good cover band I like are called The Detroit Cobras. They dont do original songs and specialize in covering obscure R&B tunes from folks like Irma Thomas, the "5" Royales, Betty Harris, Gino Washington, and other unknown greats like that. It gives the listener an oppurtunity to hear these lost songs, and to go out and find the originals which are always better.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2008 3:49:23 PM
Doug,

If you're from Pittsbugh, you should check out RPM's Rock Club in Bridgeville, PA (a suburb of Pittsburgh)--they always have either cover or tribute bands playing on the weekends. I used to go see a Who tribute called Substitute there (although they have mysteriously disappeared--even their website is gone--guess they are defunct), but I also know they've had tributes to Zeppelin, Heart, Motley Crue, Kiss, and an 80's pop metal cover band called Glitz. They have a website on myspace, I believe. But I don't have the address right now.

Also, the Altar Bar in the Strip District is starting to have a lot of tributes come in from out of town. The last time I checked there was U2, Pink Floyd, and Abba(!!) tributes coming to town. I also know for a fact that there will a KISS tribute band there in the next month or two (one of my friends is a diehard KISS fan). I think you can check Ticketmaster for tickets--just type in the name of the venue (altar bar) and the shows should come up.
Also, it's a bit of a drive, but the House of Blues in Cleveland, OH, has a good lineup. I've gone there to see tributes to Queen, The Doors, Bowie, U2, and The Who.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Do Cover Bands always suck?