Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I would likem to know who said that a mental disorder is not a chemical in balance bi-polar certaintly is as with most mental disorder . you may be thinking about personality disorders

you're right. i had some confusion there.

i asked the questions because i hope to learn a bit more. i recently had an encounter with a deeply disturbed individual and would like to understand the problem in more depth. the person, who refused to seek any sort of help, showed some stuff that looked like bipolar, some stuff that looked like borderline and some stuff that looked like narcissistic personality disorder, combined with an alcohol problem. i walked away unscathed, but i still have this curiousity thing going on.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 42
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 3/3/2008 8:48:10 AM

I do hope that the people that are ans. these questions have a least a background in Mental health

Well, I will qualify my contributions by telling you that I do not have a background in Mental Health *education*. However, I do have a background of Mental Health *experience*. Does that qualify for this discussion?
 zonea
Msg: 43
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 9/14/2008 9:36:58 AM
"t's not that they knowingly lie...

one week they tell you they love you with all their heart.

then two weeks later the say they hate you and you are the worst piece of crap that even walked on the face of the earth. they imagine and accuse of things you've never done. they are paranoid and delusional and drive every one away.

two weeks later they love you and can't remember what they just put you through."

I understand what backwardduck has gone through. I'd relationships with 2 guys like this and they used to take me for a royal ride. Each time I'd lose my temper, and decide to cut them out. I didn't know it was the symptom of being bi polar. One of them did say he's bi-polar, but I never made the effort to study the topic properly.

Because of their mood swings, you also end up changing your attitude towards them, and you'd start wondering if you're also bi-polar. Dangerous! I think in future, I'd prefer to keep away from such guys.
 Slowpace732
Msg: 46
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 9/15/2008 12:08:00 AM
There is a tendency for individuals to immediately classify someone else proclaiming them to have some psychological disorder of some kind or another because they have values, and behaviors that are different than your own or the people you know. Remember that everyone you know and interact with is a micro environment in relation to the U.S. population or world population. Without psychological testing, and evaluation; it is wrong to lable anyone with maladaptivity that hasn't been clinically defined. Someone that lies on occasion is not bipolar or a pathological liar. Everyone lies, everyone there is no one on earth that does not lie about things occasionally. You lie to your kids when you tell them about Santa. I see this everywhere. For example: A mechanic working on an engine with a wrench suddenly looses grip and hurts his hand then throws the wrench on the ground. Is he manic-depressive or is he just normally angry and expressing it. Big difference. We have this tendency to classify human behavior that has reached the limit of our own understand sometimes as being maladaptive; when it fact it is merely an occasional expression of normal agression or some other behavior and perfectly normal.
 Kerri21
Msg: 47
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/6/2008 10:26:57 PM
While Lying is not a symptom of Bipolar it is very common among people who have bipolar. One reason is simply because mental illness are looked down on. When they miss work, are late, or a number of other things happen it is easier for many bipolar people to tell a lie then admit that the real reason. Often one little lie turns into many, many other lies.
 kane stays
Msg: 48
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/9/2008 5:03:17 PM
I am Bipolar and I won't say I have never lied. I am not a good lier,it makes me a nervous wreck. So I usually tell the truth even if it hurts or ends me up in trouble. People with Bipolar are not all the same. We are not all crazy gun toting maniacs. I myself prefer the cat of 9 tails. I enjoy the sound of the crack of that whip. Now run!
 winstemar
Msg: 49
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/9/2008 6:53:52 PM
I have 2 good friends who are both bi-polar and both cant lie for their lives...
 Tah,
Msg: 50
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:13:08 AM
The OP knows a couple of people with "bipolar" the Op knows the the same people to lie so makes a thread.
Watchya rekon ? The Op knows a few non bipolar people who lie and doesnt make a thread about " does not having bipolar=liar?"
 Coastalrunner
Msg: 51
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:08:37 PM
Backwarduck is so right. I went through a similar situation with a gal I was dating. One minute she was rational...the next conversation, it was as if the first conversation never happened. The really hard thing wsa making plans. We'd agree say to take a vacation, book the flights, etc, then a week later, it was my fault for being so stupid for doing what we agreed to. She would accuse and imagine motives that simply were not real. And she was never part of issues - always others. Delusional, paranoid? Oh Yeah. One minute I was the best thing on earth - the next I was simply disposable crap that should never exist. The hard part was that she wouldn't get treatment. She even said she knew she had the problem. IT was intresting because it seemed to go in cycles. Any little preceived pressure would set her off. The lying wasn't really lying I don't believe. It was not remembering. It was like everything became highly implusive.
 Coastalrunner
Msg: 52
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/24/2008 5:50:24 PM
Did suggest it early on when started noticing symptoms. She originally denied, then said she did have it. and to this day will not seek help for it. It is a shame because when she's not stressed, she is a beautiful person.
 NocturnalSweetie
Msg: 53
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/24/2008 11:43:30 PM
I think it probably doesn't have anything to do with the disorder just depepnds on the person. However I dated someone who was manic depressive before and admitted to being a compulsive liar, they were quite proud of the fact. But it was the mood-swings and over the top reactions and antics that slowly alienated me from them. It makes you feel bad because you feel like you are a horrible person because they cannot necessarily help the way they act.
 Unclass4
Msg: 54
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/26/2008 10:56:35 AM
My mother is bi-polar and extremly blunt and will tell it like it is and my brother is/was extremly manic and will tell you more then you need to know.

I was told I might be bi-polar but a light case more on the manic side, would explain why I have energy non-stop from the time I wake up till when ever I decide to go to bed. But I am still being looked over and treated for ADD. I tend to tell people way to much information about myself though.

I don't believe lieing has anything to do with bi-polar, the person is already a liar to begin with. Maybe bi-polar just adds to it but is not the reason for it. That is just my opinion though.
 weights4000lol
Msg: 55
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/26/2008 2:13:57 PM
If your not bi-polar or have a degree in psychology I think it's best you make no judgment towards a bi-polar person. Your putting yourself in a field you don't really have any knowledge about you most likely are going by just here say or what you have read. I am well experienced in depression for having a serious case for twelve years. Nobody understands or supports you while you go through it. The best ally you have is yourself. Ppl make it worse, bc their very judgmental and lack the understanding of the subject it's best to fight it alone. Even with therapy, I have seen ppl hang themselves. It's made me quite bitter, but quite smart about the human mind and how ppl react to things they don't understand.

I got over my serious case, with inspiring music = confidence building, exercise = keep your mind busy and spoiling myself = something to look forward to.
 eclectricities
Msg: 56
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/28/2008 8:48:56 PM
That is a very interesting question :). I am not a clinical psychologist (yet, anyway, give me approximately six years, and get back to me!), but I have two immediate scenarios that may link compulsive lying to bipolar disorder. Again, take this all with a grain of salt.

In a euphoric, manic state, an individual with bipolar disorder may feel somewhat immune to consequence, and may therefore be more prone to fabricate if he/she believes it to be in the interest of his/her latest endeavor (which, itself, may be sufficiently grandiose to require such fabrication). In a depressed state, an individual may feel so cynical and/or apathetic that, again, consequence does not seem to matter, and the damage that lying causes may seem unworthy of the slightest regard. In both states, the disorder seems to prompt a disregard for the social consequences of the lying behavior.

Of course, one might argue that a predisposition to lie must be present before bipolar disorder can draw it to an extremity. And there is your question: to what extent is the person accountable? I don't have a clear answer, but I might suggest that the disorder should be reigned in (this is where the pros come in :) - lithium is still prescribed in severe cases, I believe), and then the individual's lying behavior should be addressed once the disorder is in check, and the person himself/herself can reason with relative clarity.
 LakeCountyGal
Msg: 57
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/31/2008 9:11:53 PM
While lying is not a symptom of being bipolar, sometimes, when we are manic, "stretching the truth" can happen sometimes. I've been guilty of that myself in the past, when I was a bit manic. When you're manic, you can start to "feel" more important, then you actually are sometimes. There's a lot of bravado with mania sometimes. Not for everyone, and not all the time, but sometimes.

Bipolar can be a kind of Jekyl and Hyde disorder for those who are affected by it more severely. But just as there are pathological liars in the general population, there's a certain percentage in the bipolar population as well. I'm not sure how much the disorder affects that ratio.

As a bipolar person, I tend to be overly open about myself, mainly because this disorder affects my depression levels every day, and I like those I date to know up front about this, to be fair to them. I don't like keeping secrets. However, as far as lying, I'm sure I've allowed myself to stretch the truth a bit when I'm manic from time to time, but for the most part, I try to be a pretty honest person.

I can only speak for myself though. Every bipolar person is different so to compare us all against each other, is not really fair. I am always "suspicious" of any generalizations made about us, since every one is different, whether bipolar or not. Don't buy into stereotypes. If you've had bad experiences with bipolar people, please don't judge all of us, against them.
 kpooks
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 1/4/2009 1:08:42 PM
My friend who has bi-polar, was secretive to the end, and could not give me a straight answer about why he was being so mean to his girlfriend. I just don't get it. ADMIT YOUR FAULTS!!! God knows I'm not perfect either! They're ashamed to admit that they have a problem, so they claim "plausible deniability" (lie lie lie). About everything. Haven't heard from this "friend" in almost two years since we had a blowout.

I don't completely trust anyone who has bi-polar. But, if they can at least be honest that they have the condition, that's a good thing. But, still, everything they see in life is through a veil of their emotions. So how can you completely trust what they say, because it's filtered through a dark cloud? Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, but keep one eye open on 'em.
 itty
Msg: 59
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 1/5/2009 7:29:57 AM
My best friend was bipolar and she was honest to a fault. She had difficulties with lies and always bungled it up if she did lie. She was secretive at first about the fact that she was bipolar but the longer we knew each other the more comfortable she was in sharing that fact.

Too many people with bipolar disorder are afraid of the stigma they'll be given if they let people know of their condition. Frankly, I don't blame them. There's so much negative press about anyone with bipolar that they aren't given half a chance to show anyone they're nice people, they just have a disorder that lumps them in a category with all the quacks. it's really not fair to them.
 hurricane hanna
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 1/10/2009 4:13:53 PM
When a person has bipolar disorder, they may say things that are 'not true'.

They may promise to get help or stick with their medication, for example, and then not do that consistently. That's often a part of the illness.

Too, they may, during 'up' or 'manic' periods, say things that make very little sense. They may be so 'up' that they say all sorts of things, throw money around, etc.

They may 'promise' later not to 'get manic' again, but they may not really be in control of that.

When a person is manic, they may do all sorts of things you don't like. And when not manic, they may promise not to. Gambling, even sleeping around, can happen when a person is manic.

Being manic is like having a seizure. The person can't stop mania. They can't control what they're doing while they're manic. The key is avoiding them getting manic, by keeping them on medication.

They also may do something called 'confabulate', which is they just start rambling and saying things that are sort of mashed together and don't make a lot of sense, and aren't always true.

They may also try to 'cover'. If they don't remember something, they may try to pretend they do remember or aren't confused about what actually happened.

They aren't truly 'lying'. A person 'lies' to get something, some advantage, or attention, or whatever. A person with bipolar disorder who is rambling or 'confabulating' isn't actually lying.

While bipolar people are just as capable of being dishonest and lying as any 'normal' person, lying isn't exactly a real 'symptom' of bipolar disorder. They may not talk or behave quite as you wish they would, but it's not exactly 'lying' in the usual sense.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >