Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 crittersitter
Msg: 4
Cutting hair boy short and the impact on attraction Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
You should wear a style that's flattering. Unless one has perfect features ( Halle Berry looks good bald, huh? )really short hair will not be a good look .
I fell for that older woman - short short hair b.s. when I turned 40...EWWWW!!! NOT A GOOD LOOK for me.
Turn on the t.v. and look at the hairstyles of the fabulous women in their 40's& 50's...Leeza Gibbons ( she's 50 & FAB!!!)on "Dancing", daytime soaps, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters-beautiful older women with great style & NO short hair!
 no_1_bby
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Cutting hair boy short and the impact on attraction
Posted: 4/13/2007 11:57:49 AM
I have naturally curly hair, am approaching my 40's (man.. I can actually say that without flinching!!), and there's no way in hell you will catch me with it cut *boy short*!!!

PROFESSIONAL means it's in good condition, a good cut, well taken care of... what's an early/mid 20's something know about professional hairstyles in 40's something women anyway????
 prolibertate
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/13/2007 12:47:01 PM
OP, the length and style one wears should suit them; some look better in short, others in long; some with straight, others with curly. While I think shorter hair makes me look older, others tell me it makes me look younger. As I don't always like to have to fool with drying it every day, I keep my about shoulder length, though sometimes I grow it out and other times I cut it a little shorter...one thing that does change on my frequently is my hair, lol. I also have hair pieces that I can use to augment my own hair and have different styles without all the hassle and time it takes...not to mention going from long to short back to long again very easily. Hair-Do and Easihair have some excellent ones; they're not outrageously priced but they are very good quality.
 prolibertate
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/13/2007 1:16:58 PM
It seems many males prefer longer hair on females...although I think if they knew how long it can sometimes take to just dry all that hair, they might change their minds, lol...they think we take long enough to get ready as it is ;)

And while I've had guys who liked long hair, I cut and wear my hair how I feel it suits me, especially as I'm the one who has to take care of it...and the length, or lack of it, didn't seem to bother any of them. Interestingly enough, most guys that have said they liked long hair, never even touched it when it was long...so what's up with that...they only like how it looks?

But ask a guy to grow his hair long and many are horrified...I happen to like long hair on a guy, if it suits him...sometimes very long hair; but I also like short hair on a guy - again if it suits him.
 AwP
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2007 2:52:02 PM
Shorter hair can make a woman look younger, though not always more attractive if the look doesn't suit them. By "boy short" are you talking like a flat-top or longer? A flat-top generally isn't a good look on most women though I've seen a few who pull it off VERY well, 6 inch hair or so looks good on alot of women though. If you want to keep your longer hair and still look more professional, I'd suggest pulling it back into a ponytail or even a bun. Loose flowy hair doesn't say "professional" to me, not that I really care if a woman looks professional or not.
 prolibertate
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/14/2007 4:55:40 PM

hair takes so long to grow... If any woman over the age of about 40 has waist length hair its been attached to her head for a mighty long time....
If hair is trimmed and looked after regularly then long long hair on older women can look really nice, but every woman i have known that has hair longer than her shoulders that is 40+ just has such straggly, frizzy, nasty hair... sorry ladies...

Actually, till about 4 years ago my hair was just about to my waist...I grew it out from a very short haircut - it was cut like Lisa Rinna's - in about 3 years; my hair has never taken a long time to grow and though I despair sometimes of how thick it is, others think it's great to have such thick hair, but then, they don't have to dry it, lol...and it's never looked straggly, frizzy or nasty...I'd say it's more the hair one is born with and also how you take care of it that makes the difference. People who bleach or perm their hair a lot are doing a lot of damage to it. The only thing I do to my hair is color it, as all the women start to go gray around 18 in my family; and though I like the different silver/pewter/gray that comes in I'm not readt to let the gray grow out now, as I'm not ready to cut my hair short enough so it doesn't look strange growing out, plus then I couldn't use the hair pieces I have fun with since they're all dark brown ;)
 acgoat
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/15/2007 6:10:10 AM
stargategirl----------DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR

several threads are out there concerning hairlength on 30-40 plus women.
most all the men answering prefer longer hair on all women.
if you cut it, do it only because thats what YOU want.

I personally prefer long hair and darker shades of hair
 StarreGazer
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/15/2007 10:49:02 AM
First off, a "professional look" is not appealing to me at all. She may be right about "boy short" being more professional, I don't know or care. Long hair on a woman is much more feminine, regardless of age.

Leave your hair long, and if you insist on having a "professional look" for work, then get a "boy short" wig for that environment.
 cw35
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2007 9:08:03 PM
You should cut your hair if you feel comfortable with it. I think short and long hair are both great and have nothing to do with age.

Ms Besas: I completely agree with you. You in no way shape or form resemble a man.
Definitely a great example that shorter hair will not make a woman look masculine.
(I suddenly feel like moving to Toronto for some reason. lol.)
 windloverr
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 4:42:21 AM
OP, you went to the recruiter for a reason; and their function is to make you as presentable/marketable as possible. If I were you; I would advise three things: 1/contact other reputable recruiters; and ask their opinion on hair in the hiring process/ first look impressions. 2/google it on line, and see if you can access studies that say whether or not women with one hair style or another are viewed more preferably by hiring managers. 3/buy a book on how to look professional and land a job. What colors you should wear, what cut of suit pant or skirt, what jewelery, etc. Avoid perfume in the meeting; as scent can have a very derrogatory effect on the person hiring you. You only get one chance to make a good first impression; and at the front end of the game, the object is to pile as many things in your favor as you can. If a specific hair style is one of those things...then I advise following the advice of professionals. Then grow your hair as you please AFTER you land the position. A rocking hair style in the forums, may be a killer in the job market. The forums is NOT where you should be looking for this type of advice. Good Luck.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/16/2010 5:34:55 PM
If you have a butterface, better to have long hair, you have nothing to sell about yourself on.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:57:32 PM
I defenitely prefer longer hair on women. "Boy short" haircuts are for boys.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2011 6:57:13 AM

I think as long as a guy can get a fist full to steer the 'conversation', they are fine with whatever hairstyle we sport.

Ears..handles.

How do you hold your liquor?
By the ears.
 1osubuckeye
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 8:05:33 AM
I personally despise short hair on 97% of women(estimate). Long hair is a naturalistic response of health and beauty with nice long hair. In most cases, even anything above the shoulders is a turn off for me. I just need to have long hair on women I date.
 xnotyoursaviourx
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 11:56:38 AM
I have kept my hair super short since I was about eleven. Yeah, guys generally like long hair, but if they like me, they like me no matter about the hair. Short hair suits me better. I look terrible with long hair and have always kept it very short. If they don't like me because of my hair then that's not my problem. Most women keep their hair long, but I am not one of those women. I keep my hair short because it suits me better. I wouldn't grow my hair out for anyone. Take me as I am, or leave. I've never had someone say they wouldn't date or spend time with me because of my hair. If they want someone with longer hair, I'd tell them to go find that person--because it's not me. Short hair works on me, and I will always have short hair.
Some day I would like to get enough nerve up to shave my head. I think it would be amazing :)
 GoodLord1
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/20/2017 8:24:05 AM
the Opening Poster said:

A few days ago a recruiter advised me that women my age should have shorter hair (Well above the shoulders) and straight if possible.
Her reasoning behind this is that it would present a more "professional" look and that longer hair on a 40+ woman would not only out date her, but make her look older than she is.
Now i "partially" agree with this.
While i do believe that straighter, slightly above shoulder, hair may present a more "polished" look. I disagree that longer hair on 40+ women will necessarily make her look older and unprofessional.
She described a bob or "boy short" to be the best. Which i disagreed with.
I don't think it needs to be "boy short" in order to be professional.
(keep in mind that the person advising me is a 25+ year old woman).
With respect to dating, i think longer hair would be much nicer than "boy short."
I have been told by several men in the past that they have a stronger attraction to women with longer hair.
What do you guys think? Cut it or leave it? Any other alternatives?
I am tempted to buy a short wig just for work

i'm resurrecting this thread because in the last several days I've seen women's profiles in their 50's and 60's with beautiful HEALTHY long to shoulder length hair in a couple of photos and chop it off to what amounts to a bob or a pixie cut or whatever women call it.

I often wonder why women do this since most men prefer long hair and if your goal is to find a guy why would you make yourself less attractive to them? given the fact that in your 50's and 60's your appearance GENERALLY is in decline why would you purposely do this given your goal.
 gtomustang
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/20/2017 5:22:00 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/feb/18/why-do-older-women-always-have-short-hair
 south_city
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/20/2017 10:02:55 PM
I have seen some women with short hair that I felt were physically attractive. But for the most part, I think women do look better with longer hair.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 8:44:16 PM
Don't take fashion advice from someone who's HALF your age.
She'll recommend ear lobe plugs and a sleeve of tattoos next.
It's not 1950. Women color their hair from age 10 to age 110.
...as far as attraction goes, once your boobs are out, no one's measuring your hair...
 GoodLord1
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/21/2017 10:55:26 PM
I've seen some women who stuff themselves so tightly into pushup bras
their boobs can be seen screaming "LET ME OUTTA HERE!!"

they look like two bald men trying to find an escape route from their blouse.

I dislike false eyelashes too.
I saw a 20 something wearing them at THE GYM!!! dumbass
 Fikirimi
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/10/2017 3:14:45 PM
In my experience, men are not looking at me for my hair. They're not objecting to it, either.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/13/2017 7:29:36 PM
A woman with a good face can pull off short hair.

I remember back when Jane Pauley and Joan Lunden had long hair, but they looked like they came off the set of "Little House on the Prairie". Frumpy as hell. Both eventually went with a much shorter cut and different style, and it made a world of difference.
 spot4username
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/14/2017 9:02:47 AM

In my experience, men are not looking at me for my hair. They're not objecting to it, either.

A woman with a good face can pull off short hair.

I agree with both of these sentiments. I have had very long and very short hair. I never noticed either deterring men from showing interest.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/14/2017 9:08:29 AM
I prefer long hair on a woman, not just because it adds to the visual stimulation during doggy style, haha, but it just looks more feminine - WITHOUT a goatee, of course

There are always exceptions, like Halle Berry
 ohenryx
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2017 11:47:07 AM

I prefer long hair on a woman, not just because it adds to the visual stimulation during doggy style, haha, but it just looks more feminine

A big “thumbs up”, I agree, strongly.

I remember back when Jane Pauley and Joan Lunden had long hair, but they looked like they came off the set of "Little House on the Prairie". Frumpy as hell. Both eventually went with a much shorter cut and different style, and it made a world of difference.

Joan Lunden, man I had a thing for her back in the day. She most definitely did not look “frumpy” to me.

Of course, I’ve always had a thing for the quiet shy reserved type who then turns into a tiger in the bedroom. There’s one lady here in the forums who really inspires my imagination in that area, but …
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >