Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 800
I'll review your profile and give ya some dating advicePage 27 of 44    (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)
sarahc83: Ok you asked for it..... The "about me" section, a lot of lofty ideals there, I don't know if that's you or just who you want to be. There are some grammar mistakes, i's that should be I's and apostrophes missing in wasn't a couple times. To me those things are important, to others it might not be.
Overall I don't think you really shared enough about the real you, where you want to go in life, why you're here and who your want to find. Your basically saying I want to meet you if you think like me and have a picture. I don't think you have narrowed down the field enough.

Your pictures are good, and everything else is complete, I would do more explaining in the write up, it's a little to cryptic for me.
 Le_MOO
Msg: 801
I'll review your profile and give ya some dating advice
Posted: 11/3/2005 5:41:58 PM
Sure rate mine......
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 802
Posted: 11/4/2005 11:00:17 AM
Le_MOO: First, I would get a picture of you smiling, have somebody tell you a joke right before they take the picture. Your pictures are OK but smiling would be better.

I would get rid of the 75 mile limit, unless you are absolutely opposed to talking to somebody that might be perfect and live 76 miles away. I think that is a big mistake, sure we would like to find somebody local but don't put hard limits on it.

I would get more things in the interest area, surely there's a lot more things that you like, get them in there, the more the better.

There also has to be a lot more about you, if you are lost for what to say, read some other profiles, and if you find something that you like and it fits, then include a version of that in your profile. If somebody asks a good question, put the answer in the profile. If they want to know probably a lot of others do too. Again the more the better. Somebody has to find a lot of connect with to get them to get off there butt and email you, they have to know you are the right one, not just hope all the unknown things might be good. The only way they can know is if you tell them. Open up, make yourself an open book.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 807
Posted: 11/27/2005 2:33:31 PM
I've been on the road, so busy with other things, I'll get to it in a couple days. I bought a 38 foot sailboat on ebay in Mobile, Alabama and am now at my brothers in Connecticut, back home in a couple days.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 808
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:09:11 AM
1honestbabe: I would have more interests listed, surely you have them, you need to give some words to let somebody know what you like to do so that they can connect with something. I don't see anything wrong with anything that you have, just not enough stuff there for somebody to say, "yeah, you're the one"
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 809
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:21:03 AM
SelfClarity: Hey Winnipeg, great place, one of my pictures, the one in the foldup kayak is taken on the Rice river, east side of Lake Winnipeg, as far up on the east side as you can drive. Just before I headed out across the Lake, yep I kayaked across Lake Winnipeg, one of my claims to fame LOL.

Anyway, on with the review. What you have is good, just not enough of it, I'm sure you have more interests and can expand the writeup a lot more, tell us something great you learned in Austrailia, tell us a little more about the SelfClarity thing. One has provide enough so that someone can really connect with you. They have to get the idea that yeah, you're the one, not just I wonder if, maybe, you're asking them to take a chance to write you a letter and face possible rejection, that's tough to do. Give them more info so that it's not such a stretch.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 810
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:27:11 AM
raylane: Bald? I assume it's meant as a joke, but I don't think things like that go over well. Need some explanation on that one, the pics don't show that. I think anything that seems obviously not true needs to be explained, you're trying to get people to think your honest and worth contacting but little things like that can often kill any hope you have. Like all the rest of the profiles we are looking at today you need a lot more info. More pics doing different things would also be good.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 811
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:35:11 AM
crazyscousebird: Looks good, more would be better but you've got all the bases covered, maybe an inkling into the profession might help, a blank always stands out and people wonder "why is that blank", instead of wonderring "why don't I contact this person." Maybe an explanation about your name would help, it doesn't mean nothing to this Yank.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 812
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:43:13 AM
amanda490: First don't worry about the weight that much, your not gross, you've got a great smile. If you're unhappy about the weight work on slowly loosing it but don't obsese about it. You are who you are. I'm not seeing any mistakes, I would just have more of everything. More interests, more life stories, you never know what's going to catch the eye of Mr. Right. My oppinion is the more bait the better your chances.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 813
Posted: 12/3/2005 7:48:48 AM
heywood14: I think you need more, Maybe more pics, more interests, more writeup, more dating ideas. I'm not sure about the all caps thing, personally I don't like it, maybe others might not too, anything that's out of the ordinary and that can be judged negatively is risky. But then again we are all individuals, so who knows what's right or wrong.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 814
Posted: 12/3/2005 8:03:43 AM
SimmahDahnNah~: You think you've got pressure with the headline, what do you think that little crustacian is thinking in your hands. That pic is a keeper, it says a lot about you and it's different, that what we're talking about everybody, listen up and have a look, something that makes you stand out from the crowd.

Muskegon, know it well, spent 3 weeks there last summer. If you see a little yellow Stearns inflateable kayak around there let me know. Somebody decided that they needed it more then me and I had to swim out to my boat one night after dancing at the Longhorn.

Back to the profile, I don't like prefer not to say answers, to me it says I'm trying to hiding something and not proud of it. That's not a good answer in my book. Again all I can add is more, more, more. The more you have in your profile the more chance somebody will find something to connect with.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 815
Posted: 12/3/2005 8:22:54 AM
smartie girl: Hey another Winnepeg, two in one day. The little yellow kayak I lost in the last review went up and then back down the rapids of the Rice river before I headed across the lake in the Russian foldup kayak. (if I lost you here read the couple previous posts above) No problem on being silly, we've all done those kinds of things. Sort of like me expecting to be able to trust the downtown fisherman of Muskegon to not steal my little Kayak. Everybody take notice, look at all those pictures and every one has a big smile, that's what we need, that says HAPPY, FUN ( BTW that's how the all caps should be used, previous post take note)

Good job. I think it's a great profile. If I was a little closer I'd contact you, I've even got a go cart in one of my sheds full of things I haven't used for a long time.

Caught up again, Soon I'm off on the new boat, Mobile to South Florida, then combine the stuff from the old boat with the new, sell the old and off to the Bahamas for a couple months, got room for a companion, anybody game? After the Bahamas maybe up the east coast, across the pond and maybe start on a round the world. I need a mate, that's why most of us are here on POF.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 817
Posted: 12/4/2005 12:48:16 PM
MerryXmas25 : First thing I notice, You are squinting in your all Xmas pictures, they are obviously professional or at least you paid for them I would imagine, I'd say don't go back to that photographer, the light were too bright, should have got free replacements, other than that they are OK, I like some of the other pictures, they show you well, I'd dance with ya. As for the write up, there isn't much about you there, it's all jokes, people want to know who you are, surely there's more to you than jokes. Let us know more about you, it's OK to have a joke or two in the profile but not that many or that long. If you want to share the long jokes have a link to another place and put them there.

Separated, is not good if you are looking for long term, if you have that and you should have that if that's what you are, you probably ought to have an explanation telling the situation in detail. People don't want to get involved with somebody that might dump them to go back to the EX. Also I noticed some spelling errors, if you don't know how, learn cut and paste and run the text through a spell checker. We have to keep those errors out of the text, nobody wants to be with a dummy, we all make those mistakes, but anything that can be deemed negative needs to be eliminated from a profile if possible.

jheldatksuedu
Msg: 818
Posted: 12/4/2005 1:01:01 PM
chevygrl69: We need a lot more, you say there are "too many intersts to mention", nope mention them, the more the better. Give the people reading the profile something to connect with. They probably have to find 4 or 5 things they agree with to get them off their butt and email you. The profile needs to tell the whole story about you, who you are, where you came from (physcially and mentally) and where you think you are going or where you want to go. For example read mine. Your pictures are OK, they show enough to know about you physically, and give a couple ideas about things you like, an explanation about them would be good, then people don't have to guess what they mean. I assume the raccoon is an indood pet, but I had to guess, people shouldn't have to conclude about things, they need to be sure for them to risk sending an email and oppenning themselves up to possible rejection.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 819
Posted: 12/4/2005 1:10:50 PM
snwangel: Read the previous post, absolutely everything I wrote there applies, infact read a bunch of the previous posts, look at some of the good profiles and look at some of the bad ones. Checking out the competition is always a good way to improve. I would say your profile is slightly better than the last one but both suffer from not enough to connect with, tell us the whole story, with all the details. Your pictures are good, I'd go hiking with ya. Want to sail around the world? I know of a boat with a crew position open.
 letmewooyou
Msg: 820
Posted: 12/20/2005 7:09:30 AM
let me know how my prof is...
 Sweet_Sexy_Sassy79
Msg: 821
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2005 7:58:17 AM
Please review my profile!

Thanks!
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 822
Hey we need a new reviewer, It's a good way to show you care about other people.
Posted: 4/28/2006 10:45:57 AM
Sorry I have been away for so long, I'll not be doing many reviews in the future, time for somebody new to step up and take my place, I took Jack Macs place. I'll be on my boat, I think I'm going to start my round the world trip, porbably take 4 years, don't want to come back single. Anybody want to join me for a leg?

sweetkandee
Looks ok, could always use more. Pictures are good, maybe get some pictures showing you doing things you like. I found a couple spelling errors, everybody needs to learn cut and paste into a spell checker, said that before many times. I also found a period that should be a comma. Double p in PPerson. Some of your pictures are a little dark, you might be able to lighten them up with a picture editing program or get some new ones.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 823
Posted: 4/28/2006 10:52:08 AM
sweetsassy79
Looks good, no problems that I detect.
Good luck
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 824
Posted: 4/28/2006 11:00:09 AM
betchacanteatjustone

Hey what happened to the picture you speak about does this mean you had some success?
In my opinion all profiles need a picture, even if it's just a picture of something you like. Your picture should grab attention, view your picture at the top of the page with all the other pictures does yours stand out and make people want to know more? It needs to...

Again I'm pretty much done here, it's been a good run, we need somebody else to pick up and run with this column.

Good luck to everybody, I'll still read my mail and I'm still looking for my special someone.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 826
Posted: 7/2/2006 7:05:55 PM
For anybody following my story about the little yellow Stearns kayak stolen when I was on my sailboat in Muskeegon, MI, I found it on eBay a month ago, and it's now in the evidence room at the Muskeegon police department. I'm in Labelle Florida right now, with two sailboats, been working on and got the old one ready to sell, need to learn about selling on eBay. It's looking real good, varnished all the teak and there's a lot on it, pressure washed everything from stem to stern, and fixed all the little things I've learned to live with. Now it's time to start on the new one, and get it ready for a long trip. Still thinking about a round the world, anybody interested, I don't want to finish that trip still single. Have a great day.

If you feel you need help with the profile, read all the comments about other profiles, basically more is better and have lots of pictures. Good luck to all, in whatever endevors we set out to accomplish. May we all find what we are searching for.

"It's remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind can sweep away the maddening frustrations of shore living".
Ernest K. Gann
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 827
Posted: 7/26/2006 11:52:51 AM
ctrg343:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/user/ctrg343.aspx

OK you asked for it,

First loose the picture with your hand in your pants. Can't tell what your doing with your other hand anyway, A picture should tell a story about you, I don't think that's a story you want spread around. Loose the fuzzy picture, it says I don't care enough to have a good picture, this lousy one will do. Why should anybody care about you if you don't.

I see way to many negatives, Be positive. Tell us what you do like, don't dwell on, I don't like this or that and this. I hate my home, what makes you think anybody is going to like you if you hate everything. Paint a positive picture of yourself.

The opening line should be catchy, draw you in, I'm 6'2", can't find anything better than something that they already know, loose it. You've been told already but you don't listen.

Sitting in the "frest" cut grass, obviously you hate spell checkers too, or are to dumb to know how to use them, you want people to think you are dumb or lazy. Learn cut and paste and get this through a spell checker. You been told that already also. Why are we wasting our time trying to help you when you won't pay attention to anything we say and do it. You just post I want more criticism. Well here it is, now do something about it.

Sorry to be so negative but that's the way I see it. Nothing personal.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 828
Posted: 7/27/2006 9:50:18 PM
lldivall:
The pics need work but you already knew that, Basically we need more info on what you love to do, so that a person can connect with something, hopefully a lot of somethings. You need to separate yourself from the herd, so that when the right one finds you he knows he is the right one for you just from what he reads in your profile. You've got to move him enough to get him off his butt and risk all the possible emotional consequences of emailing you. He's got to feel the risk of rejection is worth the possible reward of finally finding the right one.

I really don't have time for many of these right now so if you want a review, sorry, my suggestion is read some of the 40 pages here and learn from what we have told others. Good luck, Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 831
I'm done doing reviews sorry, read the old ones, lots of good info there
Posted: 7/28/2006 7:29:54 PM
Dynaverse: I'm not seeing any major mistakes, maybe ad more about everyday stuff you enjoy, you've got a lot about going out, but that's not your whole life.

ladytyndall: I'm trying to get out of the review business here but find it hard to ignore someone that asks politely. I can't say I see anything wrong, In fact if you still wanted kids you would be reading a letter from me in your inbox. My only comment would be about the word separated, you might want to change that or at least explain it. People might be scared you'll just use them to get back with the ex. Divorced is final, separated leaves a big question there. Your pictures are good but the small verison (what you first see) of first one could be a guy, hard to tell, you might put up a different first one. When you see it full size it's easy to tell your not a guy, part of it might be the hands on the hips thing. I'll be honest when I first looked, I said to myself, why does this guy have a name of Lady. Maybe you could add a few of you doing things you like to do. You like me, are asking why am I still single, wish I could answer that for both of us.

---- ---- ---- ---- ----
PLEASE NO MORE REQUESTS

I've got to be working on my sailboats instead of doing this. Time for somebody else to step up to bat, I've done my 20 pages of reviews, that seems to be the standard burn out time.

READ THE PAST ONES,

and learn from other peoples mistakes, you've got pages and pages of past reviews on here and they make the same mistakes you do.

---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 833
Posted: 11/19/2006 10:37:30 PM
JoFrenchy

Jacks been gone for while from this forum, I took over, for him. He's still here on POF though.

Sorry I have not been around much to do these.

I don't see any problems, It's good like it is. The write up seems short, maybe you might expand it a little more, talk about some of those activities, or something that makes you special or different. What some of your favorite stuff, give people something to connect with, something they can ask a question about.

----------------------

Anybody else wanting a review, I suggest reading all the old ones, there are no new problems here, Jack and I have seen it all, we've covered just about everything in the 40 some pages of reviews. You can also see some of the ones that have been successful, Jack for one.

An update on my life, for those that follow, I'm heading up to Muskegon, Mi to pick up that kayak next week, I bought a new boat and spent 2 months working on that. It's a 45 foot steel ketch in Charleston, SC. A beauty, a quarter million when new and I got it for next to nothing. It's the one that I'll take around the world, it's already been around, so this will be the 2nd time for it. Go to www.jheld.mysite.com to see it. Now I've got 2 boats to sell.

Good luck to all. Jon

CLOSED THREAD- AUTHOR HASN'T posted to it in a lonnnnnnnnnnnng Time -
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >