Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Maryland  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 prof48
Msg: 11
Why is it that so many people on here are Non-religious?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

That would be Catholic churches really think along those lines. To say many means actually one denomination. There is more than just Catholic.

Well, you know, I have joined several churches in my youth, not one of them was Catholic. Are you speaking from experience or prejudice.

True. But that is because non-religious have no belief system. Their religion is politics. They can sit around and agree all day long about liberalism.

That is the shortcomings of non-religious. They don't have a common ground from which to start. There is no aim and no focus.

Hmm. Perhaps more than prejudice. A religious nut case.
 CynicForever
Msg: 13
Why is it that so many people on here are Non-religious?
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:47:21 PM
To use myself as an example...

I'm Jewish, but I put myself as non-religious. I'd rather someone get to know me before gathering any preconceived notions. Like that I wouldn't get involved with someone outside my religion (would and have), or that I am "religious" (not especially).

To me, the question of one's religion is a bit too loaded for something to be labelled in a browsed profile. I'd like to think we're all more complicated than that.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2007 6:03:42 PM
i have wondered about this a lot myself. almost every time i look at a profile of someone who has posted in any forum, it almost always says "other" or "non-religious." how come so few religious people post? i wonder if some people read these forums then feel as if they need to take a shower to get the stink off.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:48:03 PM

I don't believe that most people are non-religious. I have seen that most people feel that listing a religious preference may limit the people that view their profile.

which i think is dishonest unless your hidden religion is disposable to you.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2008 12:55:47 AM
it could be, in which case, the people who run the site should fix it and put an option for "no religion selected" among the choices.

at any rate, i still wonder why so few people that post in these forums have a religion listed. a vast majority i've seen are "non-religious" (which should be "not religious") or "other religion."
 Nao_Namorado
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/6/2008 9:26:01 AM
What business is it of POF to know what religion I am? I am certainly secure enough in my own religious convictions not to have to wear it on my necklace, or tattoo'd, or emblazoned on my car bumper, etc. Some religious guy way back when once said to those who openly parade their religiosity: "...you should pray in a closet."
 probachlor
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2008 11:59:15 AM
Most folk are NON-religious. They just claim and give lip service to whatever they pretend to embrace.
The admitted non-religious have just stopped lying to themselves and to others about what they really never intend to do.

I am just as amazed at the folk that require that you believe whatever they pretend believe.

Ghandi once said of christianity: "I like your Christ. I don't like the Christians. They seem so different."
 MeetingOfTheMinds
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/15/2009 3:30:48 PM
I am curious what is non-religious. So on a Google this is what I got
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Non-religious)Jump to: "No Religion" redirects here. For the song by Van Morrison, see Days Like This.

Irreligion is an absence of religion, indifference to religion, or hostility to religion Depending on the context, it may be understood as referring to atheism, deism, agnosticism, skepticism, freethought, or secular humanism.

Would POF non religious agree with this definition?

So they do not believe in a higher power.
Or a world after death. We are just here for the now. No accountability? Do what ever you want as long as you don't get caught by the law, it is OK?
Just picking some brains or hearts or souls or lack of them.
 MeetingOfTheMinds
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/15/2009 3:36:22 PM
Message #29--thank you. My feelings and thoughts exactly.
 dorkboy
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 5:59:51 PM
I'm a proud Christian, and I take offense that you'd think religion is for the emotionally weak. I'm strong-minded and educated. My belief in Christ is because I believe, not necessarily because I need to fill a void.

Not saying you have to believe what I believe, but many times, non-religious people can have just as much labeling and stereotyping as religious folks.

As far as proof that there is or isn't a God is concerned, I would like some atheists to expound upon how there is much structure and order in the world and why things just "happen" to work out. Classical atheism isn't without its logical faults, either.
 susan_cd
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:03:49 AM
Maybe because we're now 9 years into the 21st century & more & more people are giving up superstitions.
 susan_cd
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/10/2010 10:45:20 AM
I'm sure there are no more non-religious people here than there are in any other large group; but people here can express their true beliefs with anonymity so they tend to be more honest about what they believe. That would make it seemthere's more non-believers here than elsewhere when the fact is there's fewer hypocrites ( in terms of religious belief/non-belief) here than elsewhere.
 JPC1963
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/18/2011 3:35:39 PM
Religion does not answer any un-answered questions. As a matter of fact religion is nothing but un answered questions! Not one person on this planet can say, prove, talk to, talked with, gone to, came back.....In fact if you say you did, they would lock you up and say your crazy..
Religion is true that it fills a void in peoples life.. to me all of it is just to give people something to look forward to when you die!

Im non-religious because, I find more proof in science then I do religion. Science has facts and, evidence which occurs around us everyday as we speak. Religion to me is gossip and rumors that has been carried on for centuries, and re-written over and over along the way.
Just my 3 cents worth cause two cents is not worth a crap now a days
Show ALL Forums  > Maryland  >