Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Media's role in school shootingsPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
it sickens me to think of the next rampaging adolescent sitting and watching the clips of cho with his weapons and his script.

i don't have a tv, but from what i understand, everyone with a tv studio has run this repeatedly.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Media's role in school shootings
Posted: 4/22/2007 6:55:41 PM
"In my opinion, the media uses the ole "this is what the public wants," to justify putting such material in their newscasts and in newspapers."
They justify under the cloak of their "responsibilities" as journalists to report the news. I'd say it's almost laughable but it's more sad. Responsible journalist is almost akin to responsible or honest politician. They each have their agendas, neither of which are serving the public or the public good. Politicans have a constituency, journalists have a viewing audience, and the bottom line is not what they want, it's numbers and dollars. Whatever either do, it's in their own interests to garner the greatest amount of votes, campaign bucks or viewing audience. And they treat both groups as if they're ignorant as sheep, most are because they don't understand or see or even know that it's happening. It's only in those rare instances, and not to change the topic, but can't remember who, but someone paid OJ a million in advance to write his book, thank goodness the public outcry and revulsion was so great, that the media..publishers, networks had to retract, apologize (so sincere..yeah) and backpedal so hard and fast...someone's head had to roll.
I'm not just blabbering and ranting, do some research. See what conglomerates own the media that you read and watch, also check out their contributions to political candidates. The decisions that are made, behind the scenes aren't what the public wants or is even newsworthy, it's all about the powerplay and monetary influence. It's business, dollars, who pays and who buys, without the hidden agenda of the public good and their responsibilities or ethics. At least businesspeople make no bones about the fact they're in business to make money and seek a profit.
Personally I'd rather trust a businessperson than a politician or journalist, media.
 junipermoon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2007 7:15:32 PM
www. infoplease . com

A Time Line of Recent Worldwide School Shootings
Feb. 2, 1996
Moses Lake, Wash. Two students and one teacher killed, one other wounded when 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis opened fire on his algebra class.
March 13, 1996
Dunblane, Scotland 16 children and one teacher killed at Dunblane Primary School by Thomas Hamilton, who then killed himself. 10 others wounded in attack.
Feb. 19, 1997
Bethel, Alaska Principal and one student killed, two others wounded by Evan Ramsey, 16.
March 1997
Sanaa, Yemen Eight people (six students and two others) at two schools killed by Mohammad Ahman al-Naziri.
Oct. 1, 1997
Pearl, Miss. Two students killed and seven wounded by Luke Woodham, 16, who was also accused of killing his mother. He and his friends were said to be outcasts who worshiped Satan.
Dec. 1, 1997
West Paducah, Ky. Three students killed, five wounded by Michael Carneal, 14, as they participated in a prayer circle at Heath High School.
Dec. 15, 1997
Stamps, Ark. Two students wounded. Colt Todd, 14, was hiding in the woods when he shot the students as they stood in the parking lot.
March 24, 1998
Jonesboro, Ark. Four students and one teacher killed, ten others wounded outside as Westside Middle School emptied during a false fire alarm. Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, shot at their classmates and teachers from the woods.
April 24, 1998
Edinboro, Pa. One teacher, John Gillette, killed, two students wounded at a dance at James W. Parker Middle School. Andrew Wurst, 14, was charged.
May 19, 1998
Fayetteville, Tenn. One student killed in the parking lot at Lincoln County High School three days before he was to graduate. The victim was dating the ex-girlfriend of his killer, 18-year-old honor student Jacob Davis.
May 21, 1998
Springfield, Ore. Two students killed, 22 others wounded in the cafeteria at Thurston High School by 15-year-old Kip Kinkel. Kinkel had been arrested and released a day earlier for bringing a gun to school. His parents were later found dead at home.
June 15, 1998
Richmond, Va. One teacher and one guidance counselor wounded by a 14-year-old boy in the school hallway.
April 20, 1999
Littleton, Colo. 14 students (including killers) and one teacher killed, 23 others wounded at Columbine High School in the nation's deadliest school shooting. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, had plotted for a year to kill at least 500 and blow up their school. At the end of their hour-long rampage, they turned their guns on themselves.
April 28, 1999
Taber, Alberta, Canada One student killed, one wounded at W. R. Myers High School in first fatal high school shooting in Canada in 20 years. The suspect, a 14-year-old boy, had dropped out of school after he was severely ostracized by his classmates.
May 20, 1999
Conyers, Ga. Six students injured at Heritage High School by Thomas Solomon, 15, who was reportedly depressed after breaking up with his girlfriend.
Nov. 19, 1999
Deming, N.M. Victor Cordova Jr., 12, shot and killed Araceli Tena, 13, in the lobby of Deming Middle School.
Dec. 6, 1999
Fort Gibson, Okla. Four students wounded as Seth Trickey, 13, opened fire with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun at Fort Gibson Middle School.
Dec. 7, 1999
Veghel, Netherlands One teacher and three students wounded by a 17-year-old student.
Feb. 29, 2000
Mount Morris Township, Mich. Six-year-old Kayla Rolland shot dead at Buell Elementary School near Flint, Mich. The assailant was identified as a six-year-old boy with a .32-caliber handgun.
March 2000
Branneburg, Germany One teacher killed by a 15-year-old student, who then shot himself. The shooter has been in a coma ever since.
March 10, 2000
Savannah, Ga. Two students killed by Darrell Ingram, 19, while leaving a dance sponsored by Beach High School.
May 26, 2000
Lake Worth, Fla. One teacher, Barry Grunow, shot and killed at Lake Worth Middle School by Nate Brazill, 13, with .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol on the last day of classes.
Sept. 26, 2000
New Orleans, La. Two students wounded with the same gun during a fight at Woodson Middle School.
Jan. 17, 2001
Baltimore, Md. One student shot and killed in front of Lake Clifton Eastern High School.
Jan. 18, 2001
Jan, Sweden One student killed by two boys, ages 17 and 19.
March 5, 2001
Santee, Calif. Two killed and 13 wounded by Charles Andrew Williams, 15, firing from a bathroom at Santana High School.
March 7, 2001
Williamsport, Pa. Elizabeth Catherine Bush, 14, wounded student Kimberly Marchese in the cafeteria of Bishop Neumann High School; she was depressed and frequently teased.
March 22, 2001
Granite Hills, Calif. One teacher and three students wounded by Jason Hoffman, 18, at Granite Hills High School. A policeman shot and wounded Hoffman.
March 30, 2001
Gary, Ind. One student killed by Donald R. Burt, Jr., a 17-year-old student who had been expelled from Lew Wallace High School.
Nov. 12, 2001
Caro, Mich. Chris Buschbacher, 17, took two hostages at the Caro Learning Center before killing himself.
Jan. 15, 2002
New York, N.Y. A teenager wounded two students at Martin Luther King Jr. High School.
Feb. 19, 2002
Freising, Germany Two killed in Eching by a man at the factory from which he had been fired; he then traveled to Freising and killed the headmaster of the technical school from which he had been expelled. He also wounded another teacher before killing himself.
April 26, 2002
Erfurt, Germany 13 teachers, two students, and one policeman killed, ten wounded by Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school. Steinhaeuser then killed himself.
April 29, 2002
Vlasenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina One teacher killed, one wounded by Dragoslav Petkovic, 17, who then killed himself.
April 14, 2003
New Orleans, La. One 15-year-old killed, and three students wounded at John McDonogh High School by gunfire from four teenagers (none were students at the school). The motive was gang-related.
April 24, 2003
Red Lion, Pa. James Sheets, 14, killed principal Eugene Segro of Red Lion Area Junior High School before killing himself.
Sept. 24, 2003
Cold Spring, Minn. Two students are killed at Rocori High School by John Jason McLaughlin, 15.
Sept. 28, 2004
Carmen de Patagones, Argentina Three students killed and 6 wounded by a 15-year-old Argentininan student in a town 620 miles south of Buenos Aires.
March 21, 2005
Red Lake, Minn. Jeff Weise, 16, killed grandfather and companion, then arrived at school where he killed a teacher, a security guard, 5 students, and finally himself, leaving a total of 10 dead.
Nov. 8, 2005
Jacksboro, Tenn. One 15-year-old shot and killed an assistant principal at Campbell County High School and seriously wounded two other administrators.
Aug. 24, 2006
Essex, Vt. Christopher Williams, 27, looking for his ex-girlfriend at Essex Elementary School, shot two teachers, killing one and wounding another. Before going to the school, he had killed the ex-girlfriend's mother.
Sept. 13, 2006
Montreal, Canada Kimveer Gill, 25, opened fire with a semiautomatic weapon at Dawson College. Anastasia De Sousa, 18, died and more than a dozen students and faculty were wounded before Gill killed himself.
Sept. 26, 2006
Bailey, Colo. Adult male held six students hostage at Platte Canyon High School and then shot and killed Emily Keyes, 16, and himself.
Sept. 29, 2006
Cazenovia, Wis. A 15-year-old student shot and killed Weston School principal John Klang.
Oct. 3, 2006
Nickel Mines, Pa. 32-year-old Carl Charles Roberts IV entered the one-room West Nickel Mines Amish School and shot 10 schoolgirls, ranging in age from 6 to 13 years old, and then himself. Five of the girls and Roberts died.
Jan. 3, 2007
Tacoma, Wash. Douglas Chanthabouly, 18, shot fellow student Samnang Kok, 17, in the hallway of Henry Foss High School.
April 16, 2007
Blacksburg, Va. A 23-year-old Virginia Tech student, Cho Seung-Hui, killed two in a dorm, then killed 30 more 2 hours later in a classroom building. His suicide brought the death toll to 33, making the shooting rampage the most deadly in U.S. history. Fifteen others were wounded.

See also Milestones in Federal Gun Control Legislation.
Sources: Newspaper reports.
 gtadaizee
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/23/2007 4:41:07 PM
I apologize in advance to the posters who want this to die down and go away. That is WRONG, that has been our path in the past. I'm not saying full coverage, I'm talking the mental health issues, and the stats are growing on that. Alas some people mix up the unipolar and bipolar with the more serious pyschosis and pyschopathic elements. THAT IS WHAT has to be addressed and dealt with. With globalization we are a much more open society that now introduces different societies with different values and extremely different philosophies and people are getting smarter in fooling people about who or what they are. This instance seems to be a MAJOR difference inthat there were lots of warnings over a 2 years.

As for people learning copy cat on here, most pyschotics are loners and I doubt very much that they would be in a site such as this unless someone directed them here.

If the media could possibly get back to their origins then I still maintain that with responsible, factual or professional input, they could help to educate the public BUT they must regain some of their sovereinty AND roots AND set aside ratings races as the reason for this kind of endeavor. We will definitely see a strength emerging from a majority of post secondary education.

To the person who questioned that this didn't happen that much. Well the above post is an excellent time line and it is a growing phenomenon AND it is not going to go away. I remember Duke, due to Duke Virginia Tech should never have happened.

I am Canadian and this issue is ever growing here as well. It is developing youth who aren't being helped. Sure the counsellor cottoned on to it but her hands were tied (to me it sounds like VT Administration most likely had her and the authorities sit on it! As I've said before many many many living are also responsible for this.

Media come on, use your power for the people. If you have the people behind you then all levels of government and management can not bury this.

I've noticed that when the statistics come out that they need interpretation and it is almost as if they are being spoken with a forked tongue! The answers always have a caveat "While the statistics show this............ In actuality this is happening..........."
This kind of double talk is used to cover up the manipulation of the demographics. You can make anything look less serious than it is. Big corporations, one example would be the Pharmaceutical biggies, always manipulate the studies they have supported and decide to publish. It's called Marketing and this is the way 'YOU WILL DO IT".
 tarmac2001
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/24/2007 9:11:18 PM
I have to say that the news on TV does amplify the emotions by many times by it's continuous coverage. However, people just love drama and it sells.

I live in Virginia, about a stones throw from VT. It's very unbelieveable how Blacksburg has become a camp site for all of the news agencies around the world.

However, I feel that the news agencies should move on to another story and let this commuinity get on with the healing process.
 gtadaizee
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/25/2007 4:57:54 AM
OK yesterday, April 24th OPRAH had a full hour on this subject and it was an excellent show. She had NBC anchor, president, pyschiatrists, victims families, and 2 Columbine father's to discuss it all. She also showed beautiful pictures of all victims.

If you are able to get this program it was really good and addressed almost all the issues we did. Mother and Father of one VT victim. HE did not think the info/manifesto should have been released so soon (and in fact it was 1 day later than the perp intended), SHE found value in it and watched it twice (and then stopped watching it AND she was watching TV when it came on so sorta confronted by it) and she said it helped her to see the murderer of their child AND the info released cleansed her mind and soul of any guilt she was feeling. Likewise the two Columbine fathers had different viewpoints and two major pyschiatrists had different viewpoints.

It was noteworthy that OPRAH really really asked WHY WHY (she also drilled the question about the scoop aspect) they showed 2.5 min of rants, etc... Apparently the manifesto was REALLY long and video ful of rants and raves. It was noted that EVERY channel and every hard print media published it.

Apparently the package arrived a day late as the perp had addressed it to Rosevelt Avenue, it should have been Rosevelt Plaza. They got it at 1100 am and stopped everything to hash it over. They picked 2.5 minutes out of hours and put it on air at 6 or 6 pm.

I got a lot out of the show and I think it will help a lot of people with a lot of questions.

Also the doctors passionately said that they must have more counsellors available in schools AND the power to get action and that the same mistakes are happening over and over and so it is an ongoing problem with each MARTYR tries to outdo the past. Also touched on increased standards (i.e. set a new record) for the commisiion of these crimes and that the copy cats usually come within 2 weeks.

Oh I can't write it all down here. Hopefully it is on OPRAH's web site. If so do look at it. Insight into all aspects of this happening.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2007 6:07:21 PM
If the why question could have been answered, it would have been.
It's not about asking obvious questions, but finding the answers and going forward with that knowledge to preventing this from ever happening again.
What have we learned, what do we know now we didn't before...more on point, what preventive measures will be taken?
There were signs, there was concern, from the shooter's family from his childhood to the time he was enrolled, accepted as a student at this institution and from his English professors and instructors who felt something may be wrong.
Others have written things that could be equally judged as off kilter and disturbing. So what do we do, a knee jerk reaction, then Steven King would be locked in an institution or imprisoned. I'm personally not a fan of the horror movies, but how prolific are they...Saw...Saw 2, 3...if we protect the freedom of expression, then who's to decide or say, who's wanting to write the next horror movie, or a Steven King copycat, wanting to cash in on the money or fame? Who is going to be the judge and jury on what's creative expression and what's the twisted manifesto of a potential mass murderer?
What's the difference and who has the authority to make that determination?
For myself, I'm not a fan of the horror movies, but guess what...me not buying tickets or going to see them hasn't stopped their profilic abundance.
So what's the answer, do we lock them all up, and who, the writers, the producers...or every person who goes and buys a ticket to watch it? Who's more twisted, more disturbed that they would consider that entertainment?
I'm not advocating for that, HECK NO!! I just don't understand who, and when, someone can say and protect everyone else from someone who writes even for an assignment, the killer WAS an English student, in college. And his professors did try to reach out, make a connection with him, try to relate, but the fact that what he wrote disturbed a lot of people enough, and he did appear before a judge with a record of mental health issues. So why wasn't he institionalized, why wasn't he forced to take his meds, which he had been on. As far as I know, people who are diagnosed with mental health problems can't be forced to take their meds, it's all voluntary.
We see it on the news everyday...so that's not really the why. Oprah, Dr. Phil, Geraldo...c'mon anyone who reads knows that's the reality.
This isn't even news anymore, that's the sad part. They were all hopping on it, when it WAS news. Go to any news website, it's not a headline.
It'll go the way of all the other former headlines, the "old" news. Something if there's even a glimmer of interest, those that want to be elected, the politicians will use this to promote their platform. If you think I'm wrong, look at Columbine, the bombing in Oklahoma, too many to list. We've been asking why for decades, we meaning the media. They sell papers and magazines, and increase their readership or viewing audience. The why is not a new question, unless you've never opened a history book.
What personally bothers me, is that this killer set a record. On record, in history, until someone outkills him, as the worst mass murderer in American history.
And how do we all know that...media, Oprah, CNN...all of them. He set a "record" by killing more people in a single incident than anyone else has ever done before.
That fact alone gives me shivers. And if it weren't for the media, I'd have never know OR thought about it. My question to the media would be why would you give him posthumously that distinction? That's the why I want answered. Not to worry, won't stay awake at night waiting for it, it's never been addressed nor will it ever.
 slysterling
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/28/2007 7:16:22 AM
You have to laff reading some of these posts. I don't mean yours bucsgirl. If it wasn't so sad it would be a funny laff.
I'm the one wearing the black hat. My take on it is the videos were not produced by this shooter. Check the whole thing out. it's full of bull, not to mention the lousy quality of the videos.. Tuesday after the shooting, 2 cops anonymously announced an 8 page rant letter found either in the backsack or the dormroom. But the official news told everyone there was no letter...

...until newshour the next nite.

By then...i.e. in under 7 hours, the press managed to have the so-called anthrax police test an unaddressed parcel , then have the government ops run it thru tests for validity, then they had time to go thru 8 hours of rants. to show two and a half minutes of video of a kid who, up until that point in time in his life, had never spoken a complete sentence to anyone...never mind the kid is autistic...so lets all take it on blind faith since the guy in the uniform at US Postal Service said we should.

So again, let me get this right. Let's pretend the kid did make all these hours of video. So I'm supposed to just take it in blind faith, like it would appear several blind mice are willing to, that this guy can stick handle around the gunlaws to get himself a couple of weapons. He can stickhandle around counselling laws with drug dependencies. This guy can perpetrate two bomb hoaxes in advance to time the response teams in their call to reaction. He can then organize the biggest mass murdering spree in American history (excluding Iraq of course) with almost clockwork precision. He can call in another bomb hoax before he heads on over to the engineering building. But he can't fill in an Express Post package address correctly or a zip code? Some people really need to get their heads out of the clouds, pull their feet back to earth, and ask themselves why the press had this one buttoned down and ready to be shipped off the airwaves in under 4 days.

That's the question that needs to be addressed...not whether the school needs more men in white coats at the schools, who are bought and paid for by the American Medical Association, which in turn is bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical industry.

Wake up people...get your braindead minds out of Oprah and doctor Bombay...Big brother is laffing his head off as the public has fallen hook line and sinker for another very convenient explanantion. Show a bit of intellectual depth for real.

So by wednesday they had you convinced he was crazy ( like we didn't already know that) and by Thursday you wre convinced that....what was it one moronic poster said...yes...we need more men in white suits standing guard over our students.

I give up with it...Some people you just cannot reach...

By the way, I'm listing some beautiful waterfront condo development property in the Everglades if anyone's interested...I'll even make a video of it if anyone wants to see how pretty the site is...

...now back to our regularly scheduled programming...today on Oprah...how do I know if my wife likes my penis??
 slysterling
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:21:24 AM
regarding my condo property? lol no

According to school officials, Cho even had time to post a deadly warning on a school online forum.

"im going to kill people at vtech today," they said he wrote.

The Chicago Tribune reported on its website that Cho left a note in his dorm that included a rambling list of grievances. The note included rants against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.

Cho indicated in his letter that the end was near and that there was a deed to be done, the official said. He also expressed disappointment in his own religion, and made several references to Christianity, the official said.

The official said the letter was either found in Cho's dorm room or in his backpack. The backpack was found in the hallway of the classroom building where the shootings happened, and contained several rounds of ammunition, the official said.

Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of the Virginia State Police, said authorities were going through a considerable number of writings.
----------------------------------------------

A law enforcement official who read Cho's note described it Tuesday as a typed, eight-page rant against rich kids and religion. The official spoke oncondition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

"You caused me to do this," the official quoted the note as saying.
=========================================================

...he rarely spoke even to his own family. in one report in the new york times that came out today, his family mentioned, after watching his video tape that that was the first time they ever heard him speak in full sentences.

EDIT:
In death, Seung-Hui Cho finally spoke, but it was through the QuickTime videos received by NBC and broadcast on Wednesday. A pastor at a Korean church in Centreville watched the tapes on television with his family. He told the Seoul newspaper JoongAng Ilbo, “All my family said that was not the Seung-Hui we knew. It was the first time we saw him speaking in full sentences.”

Before Deadly Rage, a Life Consumed by a Troubling Silence

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/us/22vatech.html?pagewanted=4&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fOrganizations%2fV%2fVirginia%20Polytechnic%20Institute%20and%20State%20University&_r=1

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >