Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 3
Re: Can Two People Really Meet and Begin a Relationship in a Forum?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Welcome Mr. Warm.

You met a dozen or so of them? What went wrong? Common Denominator of sorts?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 11
Re: Can Two People Really Meet and Begin a Relationship in a Forum?
Posted: 8/15/2004 5:27:02 PM
Mr. Warm.

You mention "I've never been one to believe in chemistry".
Its there on-line but then when you meet it apears to be absent?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/15/2004 5:50:56 PM
Mr. Warm. What happens when things get face to face? Does the magic seem to take a dive right there when you first see them, or a ways into the conversation, etc. ?
Exactly where do things go bust?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/15/2004 6:00:35 PM
Seems to me you just haven't found the one you are looking for. Although there have been a dozen or so, I'd say give another dozen a shot. It's a numbers game, where persistence may very well be the key. They say there is no such thing as failure; one just did'nt follow thru long enough.
 Tyler65
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/16/2004 11:32:36 AM
Have faith bro, after being on here 3 weeks I am in the proccess of meeting someone soon, so hey who knows.

As far as the demographic thing, I would say their are more younger folk (under 30) for several reasons:

Most are naturally more available, computer savvy (or mommy/daddy got them one for college etc) they may have more free time in general with no kids or full time job to focus on dating.
 Lady Marie
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/20/2004 1:12:07 AM
Absolutely yes. We cannot fathom the magic of love. It's unlimited. MrSherman & I have been friends and sweethearts on-line since 2000, but until now we've never met in persons yet due to some concerns, but NOT of third party. Nevertheless, we never lose HOPE. We just do our part in nurturing our trust, love and friendship to one another. Time makes our bonding more strong & wise.

Whatever future awaits us, we entrust it to GOD, the ultimate source of everything. What matters most is we treasure each other the best we can :

Still remember, it all started with HONESTY. We've been honest to one another since the day we met in the net that 2000 year. No wonder, we last til now and are even together here in POF now!!!
 Lady Marie
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/20/2004 1:22:24 AM
Thanks. You are invited to visit our thread: Panggas4ever+3days

God bless!
 Lady Marie
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/20/2004 10:45:22 PM
Thanks Dragonn. Hope we can have a "dragon" knot 1 day
 knight2016
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2004 10:49:02 PM
I have seen several relationships form over the internet. Been in a few also. Of course none that have lasted....yet.
 Ray38
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/20/2004 11:01:01 PM
I have had about 5 dates myself since joining the online world this summer..I would have to say that there was no chemistry in all of them, but nice ppl. though..I'm glad I met them...I was talking for one person for hours upon hours on messenger, and we clicked mentally...I even eventually showed up at her work place to take her for lunch, and low and behold..I never even recoginized her! lol...I guess her pics. showed her differently.
We are going to be great friends though... I can see it!...There is just no physical chemsitry on my part I guess. Too bad, because the mental connection was there. I felt decieved at first , but thought wtf she's still a great person, and good to keep as a friend.. I'll keep trying if not here, then in the real world.... lol
 Lady Marie
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/20/2004 11:08:08 PM
Thanks for the caution. It's my first time. We've been for about 4 years now. Still, we hope for our knot soon. But if Heaven won't grant, we have nothing to regret because love cannot be measured by a marriage only. What matters most, we have experienced to be loved by one another.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Can Two People Really Meet and Begin a Relationship in a Forum?
Posted: 4/2/2008 1:08:34 PM
Ex #2 met someone on JustSayHi and they've had a great relationship for almost a year.

Goody for her. Witch.
 WeAre1
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2008 4:04:04 AM
I think the forums are the best place to meet on pof because they really do seem to convey personality, thoughts, beliefs, attitudes far deeper than the profiles. Only problem is the distance is all too apparent here between people....for example I think I'm the only person in my state that posts here.
And so, I put that issue aside and met two people (8 months apart) that were 450 and 900 miles away and both were real and honest and good connections and that is a huge increase in mutual genuine attraction compared to the usual outcome I found before I discovered the forums - what the OP is talking about - that it can seem like a good connection here, but in real life there just is not any.
So, now the trick is to find someone who is more local to me and also writes on the forums and has similar life views as me......hmmm......I think it is going to be tricky and yet I absolutely believe it really can happen....when it's mean to... and all that happens, or not, along the way also has real purpose.
 youforme
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:37:12 PM
YES!! It Is Very Possible.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:51:00 PM
Of course it is! What better place to get an idea of a person's true personality than exchanging views on all the various topics presented here? It makes it much easier to get a sense of who a person really is, as opposed to a static profile, and getting to know someone that well before you ever meet makes it much more likely it will work out in the end.

As for the geography issue, sure, there are lots of attractive, intelligent women that peruse the forums but live on the other side of the continent. But what's the harm in striking up a conversation, exchanging emails and maybe making a new friend? And if it goes well from there, plan a trip to meet eventually if you're both so inclined. Geography is only an obstacle if you let it be.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:23:20 AM
Well, there is a HUGE difference between "someone misrepresenting themselves" and just not "having chemistry" in person.

Surely, after 4 years of being online, you have learned how to read some red flags of misrepresentation?

I am mixed on the whole distance aspect of things...I would never consider someone in another country! However, I am more open to the idea of someone within a couple hundred miles! LOL I do not expect to find someone in my freaking backyard!
 talldogdad
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:14:19 AM
Lightly-Lightly,
You have a pretty accurate picture of our sad state of affairs. Sounds like I might want to visit your country...which is it?
 talldogdad
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/21/2008 1:45:05 PM
Lightly-Lightly,
Fair enough.
Thanks
 Merrylass
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 1:56:01 PM
The OP's profile is still active. I wonder if he ever came back to this thread (after '04) and how he's making out.
 WeAre1
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:57:59 PM
The only two people I've met on this site since joining a year ago and began a romantic relationship with both originated here in the forums.

There are several relationships I've formed here, though, whether we ever meet in person, or not, that feel like true friendship.....all found in the forums.....

One of my sayings has been 'friendships can last a lifetime while romantic relationships rarely do'... :(

Well, maybe I'll get to prove myself wrong....especially if the romantic relationship is based on true friendship.... :)
 WeAre1
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 6:27:24 AM
mess 78 - Please tell me how your answer has anything at all to do with the topic of this thread? Also, I respectfully suggest, if you are measuring all Americans by what you read here on these forums, please know this is not a truly accurate view to measure all.....just as I would be foolish to believe you represent the feelings and beliefs of everybody in your country.

And I certainly would not view all people to be what you see in the old Hollywood "Entertainment" musical industry. Everyone knows Hollywood exists because of its ability to take people out of reality, quite often....it really rarely shows reality without some superficial "Hollywoodishness" added. :)

I say this, in defense, for I know I am not materially minded like the view you illustrate and laugh at with your friends back home.... and neither are my friends, both here and off the site...speaking of both female and male friends. It seems to me, there are so many out of 'virtuality', or off the site who's views are not expressed here because, in many ways, logically in my mind, it is those less materially minded people who would not be on a site like this, or forums like this....usually.

Why? Because dating sites in general without forums usually are all about getting impressions on a superficial level- it is this extreme limitation of them that means those who are not superficial to some degree do not set foot here.....they prefer to not even consider meeting another here who is more spiritually and less materially minded and hearted.

And yet, I have found many here who are not of the category you describe.
I think part of the real value of the forums is it is what provides those who are looking or interested in seeing a deeper aspect of the people here - to show who we are on a deeper level than just what the profiles seem able to convey alone.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/22/2008 11:32:44 AM
I think people can meet ANYWHERE. Distance did not work for me, but I am not totally against it again. However, I will never relocate again for someone. I think my case was sad and extreme, but he is the one who lives with himself after doing what he did to me, not me. It is hard to try and get to know anyone over the net. Just because I am the same way in person and know who I am does not mean everyone else is, and that was my first mistake. Although mine involved enless phone calls and a couple visits, still to have hooked up with a Narcissist liar. (who is still on here claiming to be something he is not.) All I can say is go with your heart people, I know I do. I have had some rough learning lessons along the way about trust and letting my guard down, but I am fine now. Not everyone is a jerk. Just do what you ened to in order to make it work. We only live once.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >