Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 25
view profile
History
st georges day Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

have we become so multicultural that what was once england is no more.

England has always been multi-cultural. Virtually everything that people consider to be English was introduced my immigrants at some point. Even Saint George was Turk.

We are a mongrel nation.
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 33
view profile
History
st georges day
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:43:03 AM
Fair point SJS.

But did you celebrate St Patricks day in the normal manner? I didn't but then I'm not Irish, part English and Scots in recent times.
 lalby
Msg: 38
st georges day
Posted: 4/19/2010 11:44:36 AM
I will be working :0(
 Jo van
Msg: 40
st georges day
Posted: 4/20/2010 2:49:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

Saint George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Milan, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, [(Rio de Janeiro)], Lod, Barcelona and Moscow

Doesn't sound all that English to me....

And it says he was born in Palestine.....
 Jo van
Msg: 45
st georges day
Posted: 4/20/2010 3:39:11 PM

Many Slavs, incidentally, chose two Slavic brothers for their patron saints.....one of whom was an anti-Semite!

Relevance to St George...?
What have "Slavs" or "Semites" got to do with anything?
Or is this just some thinly veiled attempt to have a go at me...?

Perhaps you could elaborate..?
 Jo van
Msg: 48
st georges day
Posted: 4/20/2010 4:49:54 PM

Your earlier post merely pointed out that St George wasn't an Englishman. I pointed out that the English are famed for accepting those of other cultures, and used the example of the Slavic peoples who did not use a foreigner as their patron saint, and even chose one who was an anti-Semite.

Well as half the world was "Anti-Semite" at the time, I still don't see the relevance of that,
Which "Brother" was "anti-semite", and what is the relevance of that comment ?

And I still don't see the relevance of the "example of the Slavic peoples" to England having St George as a patron saint.
Here's what you said:

It just shows how tolerant of foreigners the English are.
Many Slavs, incidentally, chose two Slavic brothers for their patron saints.....one of whom was an anti-Semite!
Being an Englishman by birth,

Are you trying to imply that I'm not English?
so you have to phrase it in some cryptic nonsense?

It says I'm British on my passport, and it was "by birth"
What's your point?
Just say what you mean, spit it out!
if you CAN

Cargy.
Msg: 56
view profile
History
st georges day
Posted: 4/23/2010 1:42:12 AM

Happy St George's Day, to all who celebrate it!

I fully agree!

Me too, and I'll go further:

Happy St George's Day to all!

badge73
Msg: 60
view profile
History
st georges day
Posted: 4/24/2010 6:09:41 AM

As legend has it, St George slayed the dragon - murdering b@stard needs reporting to the RSPCA

the dragons were out on display yesterday walking up and down reddich high street complete with buggys and push chairs, thou think they scared off st george

did enjoy the day i think as went to wethers for a few english ales and in english tradition went home and fell asleep missing all my programmes.
 dibble29
Msg: 67
view profile
History
st georges day
Posted: 4/19/2011 1:28:43 PM
I will be wearing my red rose as is the tradition in my family, my mum and dad were publicans and we always had a celebration for St Georges Day. This year I will be laying a bunch of roses on my dads grave with my mum, h passed away at this time of year and his birthdays was the 29th. He was buried on the 22nd 23 years ago and I gave mum a red rose to put in his coffin so he would be wearing one on St Georges Day. If the scottish and welsh can celebrate their days why not the english?
 Lorri55
Msg: 72
view profile
History
st georges day
Posted: 4/24/2011 10:03:48 AM
hello from Scotland
Hope you all had a great St George's Day
My daughter is now studying and living in London and went out to soak up the atmosphere.......was nearly hit on the head by a beer bottle thrown from an open -top bus!!
Ouch!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >