Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > is the miami hurricanes a football dynasty      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deadparrot
Msg: 25
view profile
History
is the miami hurricanes a football dynastyPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I live in Tallahassee now, but I grew up in the Miami burbs and spent enough time in the Orange Bowl growing up to consider my seat at the 30 a time-share. At least since I've been here, Miami hasn't lost to FSU yet, which is a good thing in terms of both face-saving and profitability.

ON-TOPIC:

I can think of five reasons why UM needs to be considered over the last 20+ years. And it should have been at least six if not more, but what's done is done and there's no point crying over it.

Also, just this decade:
2000- 11-1, hosed out of the National Title game by the BCS computer
2001- Undefeated, National Champions
2002- 11-1, lost in the Fiesta Bowl (and we won't even discuss what happened at the end)
2003- 11-2, got beat by a good VT team and a oppertunistic Vols team, still went to a BCS Bowl
2004- 9-3, lost 2 straight conference games and never quite recovered. Just missed a BCS berth, settled for beating up on Florida in the Peach.

That's 4 BCS berths and one near-miss. Which any program in America would kill for.

The funny thing is that most programs would give their left you-know-what to consistantly win 10 games a year and finish annually in the top 10. And I'm not going to say Miami is the be-all end all on that front, but it's not like any other team that's been mentioned hasn't also had a down-cycle period in that timeframe (a few of them dramatically downcycle, including Miami around 1997). FSU has, Penn St has, USC has, Oklahoma has and Notre Dame certainly has.

The other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet with the early Schnellenberger/Johnson era teams is that they incorporated two factors that at the time weren't seen much in major Division-I football: a pro-style passing game and emphasis on team speed on defense. One of the things that Miami doesn't get enough credit for is that they single-handedly changed how an entire conference recruited, since Nebraska and Oklahoma used to go to the Orange Bowl with their hosses and find that their option and wishbone attack would get stymied because they couldn't out-run Miami laterally. So somewhere in the early 90s, Osbourne (and Notre Dame did the same thing to a certain extent) changed his emphasis from size to speed on defense, and that's when they finally beat Miami-- plus Nebraska started running the ball straight ahead rather than try to run around them. If you want to factor in dynasties, teams who make other teams adjust their personnel accordingly is a good place to start

USC is a great great football program and they have a great tradition as well, and even if Carroll moves onto another job, they have enough athletes in place so that the next guy will be propped up for a few years. And there have been a number of dynasties in the last 20 years. I'm not denying that. However, if Miami's defense wasn't in a slight rebuilding/reloading process last year and didn't get exposed by Louisville (and subsequently exploited by UNC and Clemson) no one would be saying that Miami's in a down-cycle. As it is, they'll most likely win 10 games this year even with a redshirt sophomore at quarterback and at least contend for the ACC title, which is more than a lot of rebuilding-year teams can say.
 viceguy2
Msg: 26
is the miami hurricanes a football dynasty
Posted: 7/21/2005 6:19:59 AM

miami wasn't a dynasty in the '90's

^^Above quote makes a strong arguement for....need to define "dynasty"
 boxman
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/21/2005 4:09:13 PM
How many Miami fans does it take to spell dynasty??You'd never know from this thread
 ATPase
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/28/2005 3:28:21 PM
Parrot,

did u go to the U?
 deadparrot
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2005 4:03:50 PM
Florida Int'l...I couldn't afford UM because that was FU money I didn't have, but it worked out since we didn't have a football team at the time anyway. :)

I'm a fan and I admit that, but I do my best to try and not be an apologist.
 ATPase
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:04:50 AM
Parrot, ever hear this phrase:

"It's a Cane thing, you wouldnt' understand."

LOL
 ATPase
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/10/2009 6:58:21 AM
Oh, this is rich. You have no idea what you are talking about.
 ATPase
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/10/2009 7:05:49 AM
yes, I am back. Im single again
 08GatorBait
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2009 2:18:04 AM
Dynasty in the sports world is a team who is consistently in the top of the rankings of their respective sport and has shown a constant presence in the title game and actually winning them as well.

I'll give you CFB Dynasty examples

USC Since Carroll arrived. 7 Straight conference titles, 3 heisman winners, 2 national titles.
Nebraska - 93-97....three national titles
Miami - 198-1992 5 title appearances, 3 of them won.
Oklahoma - 1971-1975 two national titles, 28 straight game win streak...54-3-1 in that time period!
Alabama - 1977-1980 - 2 national titles...bear's last stand.
Florida State - 1992 - 2000 - Five national title appearances.
Bama - 1961-66 - 60-5-1 over this time..3 national titles..
Notre Dame - 1946-49 - Three national titles...no losses...only two ties
Oklahoma - 1953- 58 - won 47 straight games. NCAA record

No, Miami is not a dynasty...not even close right now. Florida could be if they win another title joining only 5 other teams since 1900 to win three in 4 years.
 cinemaddict12one
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:13:21 AM
They did produce Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. My two favorite players ever!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > is the miami hurricanes a football dynasty