Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 36
What is it with women & animals?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
It's natural to love animals, so I can't even understand someone who doesn't.

I think it's quite obvious that it's NOT natural if there are people who don't love animals.. and the serial killer comment... way out of line.

I have 2 cats myself and while I love them and am attached to them, sure the extra cleaning up I have to do sucks, but it's not that bad. I can see why people think they are dirty.. I mean unless your cat is outdoors at ALL times... they do crap in the house and don't know how to flush. This is a turn off to some folks... I don't like it either so I just clean the box super-regularly. But honestly.. unless something's seriously wrong with a cat.. they know where to pee & crap and that's where they do it.

As for the cat hair... lemme tell ya.. I shed almost as much as my cats. I'm more annoyed at my shedding than I am at theirs.

I don't see why she can't enjoy outside animals.

I think animals who've always been indoors may not transition well. Plus she's probably afraid her cats will suffer the same fate your cat did. If you're serious about eachother, you'll both compromise rather than just calling eachother "broken". Neither of you are broken.. you just don't agree on this animals thing. Period.

show me a woman who is not an aminal lover, it seems to be just part of what a woman is made of..

I know quite a few. Some do love animals, but much like yourself.. would NOT want one in their home/apt.

One in particular is deathly afraid of all animals. She is the sister-in-law of my former roomie and if a cat jumps up on the couch while she's sitting on it, she all but screams, "what do they want?" and looks ready to have a coronary. When it was my cats jumping up to see her, they wanted attention.. petting, etc.. it was funny in a way because they always gave her this look that I swear said, "Look lady.. I'm cute and stuff, how can you not like me?".

Welderwantedthis makes a good point though.. Kids are Way way way messier than pets. I know they'd be family.. but still. I love my family, but I don't let them lounge on my kitchen table, crap in a box, sleep in my lap or walk all over my counters either. Pets aren't the same as kids, but then again they are sort of a replacement.. not a very good one, in a way... but those of us not interested in having kids.. still get to "mother" something having pets.

Honestly.. if you want a future with this woman it isn't that she picks the cats over you.. it's that she wants both. You can still let the cats outside even if they're old.. if they are declawed.. then that's a problem. Try to work around it.. both of you.
 curlygrl
Msg: 46
What is it with women & animals?
Posted: 4/27/2007 7:11:16 AM
You would actually consider the animals as a deal breaker?-
If this is the case, you really need to look at this. She loves the
cats, you love her - She has baggage - the Cats. I think that it
would be so unfair to you, her and the relationship if it came down
to this. Really- This is really sad. I hope that all of you can be happy
together. I think that eventually she will come to resent you if you
place restrictions on her like this.
I have to say Bellydancer and Arugula are dead on here about this-
you seem very rigid in your beliefs - you will discuss them with her-
only so she can hear her own voice but your mind is made up.
Her and the cats need to move on.
 blonde chickie
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/27/2007 7:32:35 AM
I'm a dog lover and owner, and he's a good boy, doesn't mess up the house or nothing, and it's not just a girl thing being a pet lover, guys are too
 curlygrl
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/27/2007 7:44:42 AM
[Well, I certainly hope that's not a deal breaker in this situation.]

You are the one who brought up the deal breaker situation-

[Yes, she loves her cats, and I am not asking her to give them up. But when they are gone, I'm asking that she has outside pets in the future.] -

This is between you and her. We all live in the real world and for some - thier
pets are thier world. A womans nurturing side is very real - and when she
has no children - well - it really shows with her pets. I am this girl.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 76
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:20:54 AM
I guess you just never had a pet growing up. I would never expect or ask a woman to give up a pet. Myself, I'm a pet lover, have a cat (he's retired and living at my parents) and a dog. They are such company and truly a part of the family.
 semper_vera
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2007 10:08:05 AM

If a man came over wearing jeans and t-shirt and played with my dogs, rolling around with them and really enjoying himself, I'd probably fall in love on the spot.

When my bf comes over, I can expect to be ignored for the first 10 mins or so while he sits on the floor getting mauled by my dogs. And I do mean mauled! lol A guy gets bonus points there not only for playing with my dogs, but also because my dogs took to him right away - they're usually pretty good judges of character.

Just look at the percentage of women here who have some type of animal pic in their profile

Actually, a lot of guys on here have pics of their animals as well - and also make it clear that they come as a package deal.

So, if you women who say it's too rigid to take the stance I do, but yet turn around and say, "get it or get out!" Hmm, how is that not being rigid???

It's not a matter of either party being more rigid therefore in the wrong. When a person brings home a pet, it is a lifetime commitment. My dogs are totally dependent on me, and I have a responsibility to them. The problem with your stance is that you got involved with a women who has pets then once things get serious expect her to not to have house pets any more? Expecting a person to change just to please you is a relationship killer.

Men give up more when tying the knot than women do. They give up their fiscal and sexual freedoms... They give up their "toys" (cars, 4 wheelers, video games, game nights with the guys, etc) This is why it's so hard for men to take the plunge IMO...

OMG!!! Right, so you don't like animals and you're a chauvinist. I gave up my fiscal and sexual freedom when I got married. Or are you suggesting that when women get married they are free to spend all the money they want and the husband has no say? And that women aren't expected to be faithful? My husband never had to give up any of the things you mentioned - and he still went to game nights with the guys. Gimme a break.

Marriage is tailored for women, looking for long term commitment and someone to take care of them financially.

Well, that says a lot about your perspective on marriage. I know a lot of men who want the commitment of marriage as much as women do - and women who DON'T want it. Somebody to take care of them financially? Do you know what century it is? Most women can take care of themselves. News flash - there are a lot of women out there making more money than you do.

sv
 semper_vera
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2007 10:33:16 AM

And I not mean to imply that would be the case in my situation specifically. It was a statement, IN GENERAL, the man is giving up more, or he feels he is giving up more, which makes it harder for him to commit. And when women make demands such as, "it's my cats or you!" , it makes the situation even worse...

As I said, that demonstrates your position on marriage. If you have a hard time committing to marriage because of what you feel you will be giving up, then you should rethink the decision to get married.
When WOMEN make demands? The cats were there first. YOU'RE the one demanding that she change her ways and give up having house pets.

Well, I don't know where you are from, but all the men I have seen get married had to sell quite a few of their toys to make way for mortgage payments & diapers...
It's an economic thing. You can't keep & spend money on your toys that has to go to raising your family...

Oh, right. And the women don't give up ANYTHING. Oh, wait, yes they do. As a matter of fact, when my friend Sue and her husband started a family, she sold HER Harley and he kept HIS.

Quit making it sound like men are the only ones who are affected.

I told her it will take her a while to read all the manbashing in this thread, lol...

What man-bashing? I've read the entire thread and haven't seen a single example of man-bashing. Criticism of you is not criticism of men in general. However, that you see what's been said on this thread as 'man-bashing' also gives insight into your psyche.

sv
 prolibertate
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/27/2007 12:31:29 PM
OP, women *and* men get attached to pets because they can be wonderful companions. It’s obvious you don’t like animals at all since many animals cannot live in the outside elements or that you know much about how to have them, as most owners don’t have hair all over, and their animals don’t use the floor as a toilet. The majority of good pet owners brush their animals to get rid of loose hair so it doesn’t shed, and they vacuum – which clean people do in their home anyway; they have litter boxes or specific areas of the yard for toilet duty and they keep those clean; they also may have areas in the home where they don’t let their animals go – e.g. bedrooms (closing the door works really well to keep them out all the time).

Cats should never be allowed outdoors not should dogs be off leash; it’s too easy for them to get killed or to get into something that could make them sick, hurt, or dead. Would you let a toddler run around alone outside? No? I wouldn’t let a pet do so either.

Frankly, my one cat has been a better and more loyal, considerate companion than many of the men I’ve dated. And no, it’s not a man vs woman/mars vs venus thing…it’s a warm heart compassionate vs non-warm heart non-compassionate thing, IMO.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 2:26:13 AM
I disagree with you, man. I know some women who wouldn't tolerate a pet in the house. One of my best friends used to have a cat, and his mother couldn't understand him having an animal in the house with all the shedding they do. Then again, some people can't understanding having babies since the poop and stink up in your arms. Different strokes, different folks. I frankly love animals very, very much, and I am a man. I used to really only like cats, but now I'm becoming more fond of dogs. Actually, recently I talked to this one girl because of her dog. I thought he looked awesome. The girl did, too, but it was an ice breaker. Also, animals have saved lives of human beings who are not dogs. I can understand her not wanting to part with her cat or dog or whatever. She loves her animals and has known them before you. Since you don't really particularly care for animals then you can't understand that, naturally. I don't think you are the guy for her nor is she the girl for you since you both can't see eye to eye on this.

Is it a faux pas for males to post here, too? Anyway, how many men would say to hell with you woman if you won't accept Fido? Plenty of men would take that attitude.
Who is about to get rid of their pooch who has been very loving for a woman who says he should go?
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 102
Posted: 4/29/2007 1:10:18 PM
"Why do women get so attached to pets? Cats & Dogs?"

Damned if I know. Why do men get so attached to.... sports teams? And watching sports on television??

I tell ya... animals, sports, smooth peanut butter, crunchy, tastes great, less filling.... WHERE IS THE LOVE and ACCEPTANCE. Love is not Burger King: Your way, right away. Nope!

WomanInProgress
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/30/2007 1:46:32 PM
think it's pretty much been shown in surveys that if women prefer pets to men. That's just the way it goes. Women don't want to have relationships with men anymore, they'd rather just spend time with their pets. They are nuts because they are replacing human affection with animal affection. It's ok though, just ignore those women and find someone that will love you for who you are. If they are going to be picky, you can be too.

That's a bit extreme. The fact that someone would be insecure enough to even consider ranking first or second to a pet need counseling. And yes, these are the same people that can't handle someone having a demanding job, a child, a hobby or anything else that takes away from them getting attention 24/7. Waah! If you had balance in your life, you wouldn't care if someone has pets or not...there are other things in life between two people who are dating than each other constantly. Sheesh.

From someone having a pet to someone ignoring a whole gender...any grey area in there?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/30/2007 2:00:43 PM

I'm just calling things as how I see they are....

There should be room for more than one thing in someone's life...if you see that as a threat, you're seeing things from a selfish point of view. Good luck with that.
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 119
Posted: 5/1/2007 2:21:33 PM
"But honestly, I think it's a bit disturbing that ppl compare the loss of a human family member to a pet."

Really?

Interesting.

I find it disturbing that you are "disturbed" by something that normal. And believe me... once again, speaking as a therapist here, it's pretty natural for people to feel that way about animals/pets.

You should be more disturbed by things worth being disturbed by :)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 128
Posted: 5/2/2007 11:38:54 AM

I don't think the OP hates animals. He just is indifferent to them. So f.ucking what? Some people hate chocolates, ice cream. Are they all crazy too now?

Some people are indifferent to babies. Yes, even women and don't want any. Does that mean they are cruel, mean people?

Certainly people have a right to like, dislike or be indifferent to certain things. That's fine. But here's my problem with this thread:

What some don't get is that THEIR preference or choice of existence is not a rule or guideline for everyone else.

For all people that don't care for or want to be around animals, why in God's name would you date people that are? Obviously this is a major difference in common interests as well as something that should have never gone this far if you both look at things so differently.

This thread is about asking someone to choose to give up something they had when you met them for you, IMO that's not fair. She shouldn't have to change something now that's been the case since the beginning. I don't want kids - so I make sure anyone I get involved with seriously either has kids or doesn't want them. Otherwise at some point down the line, a decision like this has to be made.

Why set yourself up for it?
 SanAntonioGuy
Msg: 131
Posted: 5/2/2007 2:37:55 PM
I feel you bro, my best friend is a young woman and she is WAY to attatched to animals, don't get me wrong pets are cool but not in the house! the idea of keeping a clean house just doesn't stand with a bunch of pets running around....
 Chilliwackkid
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2007 2:46:31 PM
A warning to think about your future and knowing your self and what you need to be Happy in your Life!
Been there Done That!
There are people here that are saying some mean things and slandering some peoples profile characters over there so called love of pets.
They are missing the real issue which is why we singles are here looking for love, companionship and yes sex as most humans male and female are born with a never ending sex drive to last through out their life.
We are single cause the life we were living with our past live-in partner was incompatable for our mutual happiness.
Lust of the flesh or attraction as some put it will bring many people together at first sight, but we have different , jobs, children, interests in this topic one being pets in the house that are totally incompatable.
If someone has incompatable things they will not give up to be with the person that is wanting them than it is just so simple, you are incompatable date someone else! Otherwise you will be going through another divorce or Break-up sometime in the future because your last straw of unhappiness has been reached.
There is nothing wrong with living alone and staying lovers or friends over for the night.
Just because you do not want to sleep with pets or sit in chairs full of pet hair does not mean you don't love pets or animals it just means your more aware to the danger of bacteria that could harm you from pets and prefer a safe distance from it being your home. It also means you do not like your hard earned money being spent to repair pet damage to your asets versus the enjoyment you might receive from them. The same goes for a women or a man maybe the enjoyment they gave us was not worth the expense.
The point I am trying to make there is nothing wrong with anyone we just have to find someone that fits in our own puzzle and we in theirs, a very difficult task indeed as the older we get the more pieces that have to fit.
When we were 20 years old all we needed was good sex and we thought we were in love for ever, ahh want time an experience does to us.
Good luck to us all and Hi to some who may have dinner with me some day!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 145
Posted: 5/13/2007 7:54:58 AM

You want to see how fast women dislike “pets”? I’ve lost a ton of dates from animal lovers when they find out I have a Columbian Red Tail Boa. All the better cause she has at least 25 years left in her.

Not all women hate snakes - I love em, and I am just as delighted when I meet a guy who's got a reptile for a pet as a cat or dog. I had a Boa myself for a couple of years...and yes they eat crickets, mice, rats...unlike humans they don't waste any of what they kill so whoever started that argument can drop it.
 Bezoar
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/4/2007 9:14:24 PM
what you need to do is send her over my way. Im an animal person and trust me, my critters come before people. For some odd reason my 17 year old cat is far more people then any people i have yet to meet.

And besides, animals are far more loyal then people. so stop being an ass and get with the program. If you want her, you get the cats. if you dont want the cats, well learn to be single and learn how to pleasure yourself in the corner.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >