Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Beef Jerky recipes and methods of cooking.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustKelly70
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Beef Jerky recipes and methods of cooking.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
K, I feel stupid asking because I'm sure its simple, whats a box fan?
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 6
Beef Jerky recipes and methods of cooking.
Posted: 4/27/2007 5:05:35 PM
lol@shelf life...you are gonna find that shelf life for jerky is kind of redundant...i suppose you could freeze it...but with the amount of salt in the brine i use i'm not sure how that would freeze...if you have a local health unit ask a food inspector...they would have a better idea...i suspect it has a pretty long shelf life tho because you are displacing the moisture in the meat with two natural preservatives...salt and sugar...
keep it fat free tho
 JustKelly70
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2007 5:10:15 PM
Ya I suppose the stuff they sell in stores sits around for a long time considering the price..lol I still don't get the box fan method, please explain.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2007 5:44:17 PM
Oh ok, Never heard of that. Thanks
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 4:29:22 PM
Yes, the method will work for bite-size pieces but you'll have to start checking a lot earlier to see if they are done. And I'd cut the pieces a bit bigger than you want as they will shrink.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 7:21:41 PM
You want something really lean, and trimmed very closely. Fat doesn't dry and store very well. A very lean piece of round or a flank steak might be a good place to start..although I'm wondering how chewy the flank might be.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 7:37:42 PM
Use a lean cut of meat like sirloin, top round, or eye of round – it’ll save time later. First thing to do is remove all noticeable fat from the meat, then slice into very thin strips, 1/8” thickness or less. To make it easier to slice, freeze the meat for roughly 30 minutes or so before slicing. You can cut with or against the grain – some find meat cut against the grain easier to chew. And make sure you trim any fat from the meat as you go along – fat doesn’t dry and can make the jerky rancid.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:41:05 PM
Don't see why you can't use beef heart to make jerky if that's what you want to do. There's a company here that sells dehydrated beef heart chunks as cat treats ... 50 grams for $3.95,
150 grams for $11.85.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 5:14:16 PM
No kidding ... average beef heart weighs roughly 4 lbs. (1814 grams) so selling 150 grams at $11.95 makes a tidy profit even allowing for shrinkage. Should get one to try on my furballs but knowing them, they'd turn their nose up.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Beef Jerky recipes and methods of cooking.