Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jiperly
Msg: 208
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15Page 10 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Also, it should be noted that the Boston Tea Party didn't really succeed all that much either, other than giving the colonies a Martyar. Ben Franklin himself decried those colonists actions, and offered to repay for the tea from his own pocket- however, the British responded with a series of harsher and harsher laws, until the revolution came about 3 years later.

In a way, the Boston Tea Party ensured the American Revolution because their actions made life in America hell for Americans- everyone suffered from these few mens actions. Thats Patriotism for ya . In fact, Its my understanding that the tea tax was the ONLY tax(something that quickly changed following the tea party)
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 209
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15
Posted: 3/19/2008 12:04:43 PM
Um...not gonna happen.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp?print=y
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 1:29:24 PM
Wanna lower gas prices?

Get a fuel-efficient car and drive less.
 betterlate
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 7:56:48 PM
There is also a worldwide protest on April 15th, 2008, noone is going to work or buying anything, not watching TV, not ordering food from restaurants, nothing, I think it is awesome that people are getting mad and doing something about it, for more information on this strike go to;;;

http://chaosgone-politics.blogspot.com/2008/02/ron-paul-strike-on-tax-day.html

or just google tax day strike.. I am excited... I hope we all will work together to show these corporations who the boss is.. wouldnt it be cool to watch Exxon or Mobile or Chevron go down one at a time???? Then companies like AT&T cutting their rates because over 3 million people are using Skype, vonage or someother phone service??

Cool, I am in

BL
 wizardofossington
Msg: 212
Posted: 3/23/2008 1:50:09 PM
Its obvious the strike never worked out, nice try....I still see gas prices increasing everyday.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Fight back against Big Oil
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:33:52 AM
What we have to do is pick one oil company all all boycott their product, not for one day, but forever. Exxon/Mobil posted the highest profits last year, highest profits ever for a corporation. We all boycott Exxon/Mobil, they'll lower their proces, but still we boycott, thene other oil companies will drop their prices to stay competative with them.

Refuse to buy from Exxon/Mobil, if we all make an example of this corporation, then we make a difference.
 2findU
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2008 2:20:44 PM
OH, I see this B.S. is going around again.
 trapper jon md
Msg: 215
Posted: 3/24/2008 5:10:23 PM
Gas strike sounds good, the companies have been making outrageous profits, and not from greater economies of scale or cost cutting but by simply raising prices. Its an oligopoly, and if we can cut our use to show our strength we should do it.
 trapper jon md
Msg: 216
Posted: 3/24/2008 5:11:27 PM
I like these kinds of strikes, and if its an optional thing that we can cut, lets do so.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 217
Posted: 3/25/2008 3:50:53 PM
Lets do it people!!!! Lets stop the evil forces of Exxon/Mobil from controlling the market. Lets show them that we, the consumers, control market. Come on everybody follow me....
 agoodguyinny
Msg: 218
Posted: 3/25/2008 4:32:34 PM
No one actually believes this do they? Not buying gas on one day wont do anything. You'll just buy it the next day.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
 nipoleon
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 11:34:43 AM
Exxon and all the other oil companies are making record profits. They are making more money than they know what to do with.
This is not a SUPPLY problem, this is a DEMAND problem.
If the oil companies were just barley profitable then it would be a supply problem. They are obviously selling gasoline for a much higher price than they really need to.
The price of gas is high because the demand is high, not because the supply is low. The oil companies are selling gas at the best price they can get and will raise the price as high as the demand dictates.
The price of gasoline will not come down until demand for gas comes down.
If you are going to boycott, then boycott Exxon/Mobile, Shell, and BP in every way you can, forever. Reduce your need for gasoline in every way you can think.
Then the price will come down.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 220
Posted: 3/26/2008 11:52:54 AM

Has no one noticed that this post was placed in 2007??? Do people not actually read the post anymore and just answer regardless??
No....I read it and it is actully valid in this day age right now to rethink somekind of action. Like amagine a sick out wher we all took a strike on the same day and did not get gas and then....institue what these guys had to say baclk on page one post 40 last year...

""I would think it better if we all picked a certain oil company and boycott it. if everyone stopped/avoided buying gas from say mobil/exxon, -they would have to cut their prices to move their stagnant product -once they start cutting prices -the other oil companies would follow to keep moving their product.""

This poster has it nailed,but lets go a step further and boycott them one at a time each quarter,since these guys look at things one quarter at a time.

Jan,Feb,March boycott Exxon-Mobile
April,May,June boycott Conoco-Phillips
July,Aug,Sept boycott Chevron
Oct,Nov,Dec boycott Texaco-Shell
What do you think shareholders will do to share prices after this little plan is instigated?

Pack
PS,I forgot to add,lets then short their damm stocks.....

Something like that would hurt big oil if done correctly...amd with little or no warning.
 pat27506
Msg: 221
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15 2008
Posted: 3/26/2008 11:56:42 AM
every one should send bulk email to friends and family . once a week tell them to pass it down . make posters up place them at work places = place signs in your yards or in the window of your cars . GET THE WORD OUT. lets do to them as they do to us.

all comments are welcome.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 222
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:05:34 PM

No one actually believes this do they? Not buying gas on one day wont do anything. You'll just buy it the next day.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

I did read that and I know a one day boyctt will never work...but a quarterly boycott of one company at a time will hurt each company and not abusing the lower prices that will insue at each place that lowers prices will insure they stay low. reduce the use .. The only problem I see in reduction is Most my friends live 45 miles away and I work for in differnt locations.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 223
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:19:30 PM

you're NOT HURTING THE OIL COMPANIES, YOU'RE HURTING THE GAS STATION OWNER.

hurting the owners keeps them from buying gas. The owners can ot buy more gas and those stations close=hurting the company.
 TimPommell
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:50:19 PM
I doubt any form of protest would work... Big oil is not controlled by some big green monster from outerspace, it's controlled by shareholders, and I'm sure a lot of people contributing to this thread actually own oil company stock through 401K investments without even realizing it.
OPEC is the problem, they set the price for the entire market because they have no competition.

With regard to Exxon / Mobile, they are the biggest importers of crude, so even if you don't buy directly from them, some of your money still finds its way into their pockets.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 225
Posted: 3/26/2008 1:04:07 PM
Exxon/Mobil, no "e"

Anyway, if you don't buy from them they can/will still sell to other companies.
I own stock in Exxon and yes their profits are amazing.
However, these stupid little one day things will NEVER cause them to lower their prices.

They also employ hundreds of thousands of people. You hurt them they lay off.
You hurt the poor working man. You will NOT hurt the upper management. Even if they oust the Pres. Big freakin deal. He leaves with a few hundred million in compensation.
 TimPommell
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 4:05:59 PM
Pardon the typo, apparently I didn't take the time to proof before I posted....

The whole boycott thing doesn't work on any level. If you don't buy from one, you buy from another.... isn’t' that what we're doing now? If we cause the stock to fall on one company, the increase in business will simply position another company for a takeover bid...
The only way to curb the price is to curb the demand. Pick a day or two when you get by without driving and simply don't use gas... do all of your shopping / errands on the way home from work and eliminate those short hops to the grocery store on the weekends.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 227
Posted: 3/26/2008 4:48:03 PM
Exactly HOW can one day make a difference? If I don't buy a loaf of bread on Wednesday, but buy it on Thursday instead will that cause those evil breadmakers to drop their prices? Let me answer that. NO.

If you are really upset about the high cost of gas then car pool, use mass transit, buy a hybrid, ride your bike...
As long as you continue to use gasoline, SOME company is making money.

Oh please keep in mind that if you hurt one of these companys severely enough there will be A LOT of unemployed and possibly homeless people out there.

Frankly, I see a lot of people spending$4 on a cup of coffee or a beer and all you do is piss that out in an hour. That same $4 gets me to and from work for two days. I don't need starbucks, but I need (right now) to buy gas so I can support my family and pay my mortgage by being able to drive to work.
 nipoleon
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:12:36 PM
The unstated truth here is that everyone wants the price to come down so they can continue driving their gas-guzzling cars just like always.
We love our SUVs and big useless pickups and V8 engines .
It's so much fun being wasteful, gluttonous, and stupid.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 229
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:54:56 PM

The unstated truth here is that everyone wants the price to come down so they can continue driving their gas-guzzling cars just like always.
It's so much fun being wasteful, gluttonous, and stupid.

Pure Nonscence. I am just trying to get to ework as my company now sends me all over the place, and be able to keep relatioships with my friends. it has nothing to do with driving a gas guzzler to joy ride.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 230
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:49:40 AM
magnanimous one,

Boycotting one company will start a price war. There's no way it wouldn't. Let me break it down.
Businesses A, B and C sell the same exact widgets for 7 dollars each.
People quit buying from business A but continue buying from B and C.
What do you think business A will do?
A) Keep selling at $7 a widget b/c of the oligopoly
B) Lower their prices
C) Just shut down

So what will keep B & C from raising their prices since they now control the entire market? Increased demand for their product. Hmmm...they WILL increase the price you now have to pay and increase their profits.

For years there was only ONE cable company in my area. They raised their rates constantly since there waas no competition.

ALSO, unlike the widget maker you know that Exxon/Mobil can sell to B & C since B & C will need to meet increased demand and may lack increased production capabilities.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 231
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:37:42 AM
M,O,

They already paid for the gas in the tanks. By boycotting that station all you're doing is hurting the owner, NOT the company. Besides, people have always been free to shop where ever they want. Personally I go where it's cheapest.

There's a station not far from work. They have ALWAYS been about 10 to 15 cents per gallon cheaper than Exxon (there are no more Mobil stations here). Lots of people started going there in order to save a few bucks. Guess what? They're not stupid. They raised their prices and are now only 1 - 2 cents cheaper. So frankly there's no difference.
 rod_steele
Msg: 232
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 4/2/2008 2:56:04 PM
"The unstated truth here is that everyone wants the price to come down so they can continue driving their gas-guzzling cars just like always.
It's so much fun being wasteful, gluttonous, and stupid. "

WTF is wrong with you...we are ENTITLED as Americans to drive what we want,where we want,whenever we want.We don't want to hear about accountability and personal responsibity...it's much easier to blame big oil and the government.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15