Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 charliemcsd
Msg: 189
view profile
History
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15Page 16 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

Msg 7 must be out of his mind?

Actually Msg #7 is spot on..
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 190
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:49:04 PM
WEll...Gas went up a nickle since the strike.

PLEASE! NO MORE GAS STRIKES. I can't afford them.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:52:42 PM

PLEASE! NO MORE GAS STRIKES. I can't afford them.

ROFLMAO...these gas strikes merely shift demand around in the local market, or from one day to another.
If anything, it is the local, small retailer, probably someone who is your neighbor who runs the gas station that will get hurt.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 3:07:05 PM

if ya wanted lower gas prices ya woulda nvr voted that scab bush into power
hes an oil baron in his own reich and profits daily by his invasions and false oil emergencies he throws at the world

Mmm... lower oil prices can be had by removing gov taxes on each gallon. Bush, nor any other politician can do nothing to control oil and gas prices.
Oil prices are controlled by the world markets...gas prices are controlled and determined by the Spot Markets and consumption demand.

The ignorance on this message board is really hysterical.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 3:57:18 PM

since bush there invaded afghanistan and iraq and since the sham of 911 all countries have been paying higher fuel prices
it isnt a coincidence it is directly related

Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq have nothing to do with price increases in gas. If anything, these military actions have helped to stabilize the area.

Increasing gas consumption in countries like India and China, added to consistent 3% increased consumption in the US, and not enough refinery capacity is what is pushing up gas prices.
 spacemonkeymafia
Msg: 194
Posted: 5/22/2007 6:47:51 AM
Stabilize who??? We havent done a damn thing in Iraq except try and make people believe in what we do. The Govt has more to do with gas prices than you think. When we had the election in Nov. 06 gas went down the week before the election. The day after when all the votes were in gas went back up. It was higher than it was before it went down.

To sit here and say Bush isnt making any kind of profit from gas is to be plain stupid. Thats like our so called "Terror Alert" that the would move up and down every other day to try and scare us. Lets not forget about the Kennedy report...which was all about blowing up US planes to blame Castro, so we could go to war with them.

Gas is not going to go down, but yet we cant approve a car that gets 500 miles to the gallon.
 call me J
Msg: 195
Posted: 5/22/2007 9:35:14 AM

since bush there invaded afghanistan and iraq and since the sham of 911 all countries have been paying higher fuel prices

Where do you think prices would be if there hadn't been a law passed in Iraq, giving 2/3 of the oil contracts to foreign companies (such as the USA) ? You do realize that fuel reserves in the USA are at the lowest in 16 years and that production is dropping at fields all around the world ?

Everybody better get ready for changes...
 rescuebiker
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 11:14:12 AM
Hey Mightbeme,
This is Doc here. I haven't been on here in awhile and it is after the 15th. I did my part and rode my Harley on the 15th, No gas station for me. I want to thank you for sticking up for me and setting Waterfall, straight!
BTW my son is in Iraq, again for his third Tour with the 3rd ID, awaiting his assignment. When he was Home, he told me there is plenty of Oil over there, that we ,The US) is not using. The Soldiers are sick of this war(Now, Undeclared War)They feel they are dying for Oil and The American public is also suffering by these High gas prices, while they are dying.
BTW Folks, I said it before and I'll say it again. We should have another strike, on JULY 4th. That is our Independence Day, Or did you All Forget. The Colonist's didn't like the tax on Tea, So we had the Boston Tea Party. So, why not Have The American Gas Party and Strike on the 4th of July?I will once again ride my Harley and not visit a Gas Station on the
4th of July. Come on people Show your True colors. RED,WHITE, And BLUE that is!Like they say I Love my Country but Don't Trust my Gov't.
BTW my son has told me "Now I know what you were going thru in Vietnam")
Also, Let's remember all The Veterans that died, this Memorial Day. Fly the Flag on your House, Car, truck, boat,Motorcycle, or whatever you drive. And Have Some respect for those Veterans that died, so we can Be FREE!!Everyone Have a great day, be Safe, and Please, Remember "Gas Strike on the 4th of JULY!!!
Doc
 Jiperly
Msg: 197
Posted: 5/22/2007 11:47:08 AM
The Boston Tea Party happened on December 16th, and was in rebellion of an Oppressive Government(whereas this would be in protest of.....what? Evil Corporations, even though you're not actually harming them by not fueling up on that day?)
 Jiperly
Msg: 198
Posted: 5/22/2007 11:54:01 AM
Also, it should be noted that the Boston Tea Party didn't really succeed all that much either, other than giving the colonies a Martyar. Ben Franklin himself decried those colonists actions, and offered to repay for the tea from his own pocket- however, the British responded with a series of harsher and harsher laws, until the revolution came about 3 years later.

In a way, the Boston Tea Party ensured the American Revolution because their actions made life in America hell for Americans- everyone suffered from these few mens actions. Thats Patriotism for ya . In fact, Its my understanding that the tea tax was the ONLY tax(something that quickly changed following the tea party)
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 199
Posted: 3/19/2008 12:04:43 PM
Um...not gonna happen.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp?print=y
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 1:29:24 PM
Wanna lower gas prices?

Get a fuel-efficient car and drive less.
 betterlate
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 7:56:48 PM
There is also a worldwide protest on April 15th, 2008, noone is going to work or buying anything, not watching TV, not ordering food from restaurants, nothing, I think it is awesome that people are getting mad and doing something about it, for more information on this strike go to;;;

http://chaosgone-politics.blogspot.com/2008/02/ron-paul-strike-on-tax-day.html

or just google tax day strike.. I am excited... I hope we all will work together to show these corporations who the boss is.. wouldnt it be cool to watch Exxon or Mobile or Chevron go down one at a time???? Then companies like AT&T cutting their rates because over 3 million people are using Skype, vonage or someother phone service??

Cool, I am in

BL
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Fight back against Big Oil
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:33:52 AM
What we have to do is pick one oil company all all boycott their product, not for one day, but forever. Exxon/Mobil posted the highest profits last year, highest profits ever for a corporation. We all boycott Exxon/Mobil, they'll lower their proces, but still we boycott, thene other oil companies will drop their prices to stay competative with them.

Refuse to buy from Exxon/Mobil, if we all make an example of this corporation, then we make a difference.
 2findU
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Fight back against Big Oil
Posted: 3/24/2008 2:20:44 PM
OH, I see this B.S. is going around again.
 agoodguyinny
Msg: 204
Posted: 3/25/2008 4:32:34 PM
No one actually believes this do they? Not buying gas on one day wont do anything. You'll just buy it the next day.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
 nipoleon
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 11:34:43 AM
Exxon and all the other oil companies are making record profits. They are making more money than they know what to do with.
This is not a SUPPLY problem, this is a DEMAND problem.
If the oil companies were just barley profitable then it would be a supply problem. They are obviously selling gasoline for a much higher price than they really need to.
The price of gas is high because the demand is high, not because the supply is low. The oil companies are selling gas at the best price they can get and will raise the price as high as the demand dictates.
The price of gasoline will not come down until demand for gas comes down.
If you are going to boycott, then boycott Exxon/Mobile, Shell, and BP in every way you can, forever. Reduce your need for gasoline in every way you can think.
Then the price will come down.
 TimPommell
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:50:19 PM
I doubt any form of protest would work... Big oil is not controlled by some big green monster from outerspace, it's controlled by shareholders, and I'm sure a lot of people contributing to this thread actually own oil company stock through 401K investments without even realizing it.
OPEC is the problem, they set the price for the entire market because they have no competition.

With regard to Exxon / Mobile, they are the biggest importers of crude, so even if you don't buy directly from them, some of your money still finds its way into their pockets.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 207
Posted: 3/26/2008 1:04:07 PM
Exxon/Mobil, no "e"

Anyway, if you don't buy from them they can/will still sell to other companies.
I own stock in Exxon and yes their profits are amazing.
However, these stupid little one day things will NEVER cause them to lower their prices.

They also employ hundreds of thousands of people. You hurt them they lay off.
You hurt the poor working man. You will NOT hurt the upper management. Even if they oust the Pres. Big freakin deal. He leaves with a few hundred million in compensation.
 TimPommell
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 4:05:59 PM
Pardon the typo, apparently I didn't take the time to proof before I posted....

The whole boycott thing doesn't work on any level. If you don't buy from one, you buy from another.... isn’t' that what we're doing now? If we cause the stock to fall on one company, the increase in business will simply position another company for a takeover bid...
The only way to curb the price is to curb the demand. Pick a day or two when you get by without driving and simply don't use gas... do all of your shopping / errands on the way home from work and eliminate those short hops to the grocery store on the weekends.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 209
Posted: 3/26/2008 4:48:03 PM
Exactly HOW can one day make a difference? If I don't buy a loaf of bread on Wednesday, but buy it on Thursday instead will that cause those evil breadmakers to drop their prices? Let me answer that. NO.

If you are really upset about the high cost of gas then car pool, use mass transit, buy a hybrid, ride your bike...
As long as you continue to use gasoline, SOME company is making money.

Oh please keep in mind that if you hurt one of these companys severely enough there will be A LOT of unemployed and possibly homeless people out there.

Frankly, I see a lot of people spending$4 on a cup of coffee or a beer and all you do is piss that out in an hour. That same $4 gets me to and from work for two days. I don't need starbucks, but I need (right now) to buy gas so I can support my family and pay my mortgage by being able to drive to work.
 nipoleon
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:12:36 PM
The unstated truth here is that everyone wants the price to come down so they can continue driving their gas-guzzling cars just like always.
We love our SUVs and big useless pickups and V8 engines .
It's so much fun being wasteful, gluttonous, and stupid.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 211
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:49:40 AM
magnanimous one,

Boycotting one company will start a price war. There's no way it wouldn't. Let me break it down.
Businesses A, B and C sell the same exact widgets for 7 dollars each.
People quit buying from business A but continue buying from B and C.
What do you think business A will do?
A) Keep selling at $7 a widget b/c of the oligopoly
B) Lower their prices
C) Just shut down

So what will keep B & C from raising their prices since they now control the entire market? Increased demand for their product. Hmmm...they WILL increase the price you now have to pay and increase their profits.

For years there was only ONE cable company in my area. They raised their rates constantly since there waas no competition.

ALSO, unlike the widget maker you know that Exxon/Mobil can sell to B & C since B & C will need to meet increased demand and may lack increased production capabilities.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 212
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:37:42 AM
M,O,

They already paid for the gas in the tanks. By boycotting that station all you're doing is hurting the owner, NOT the company. Besides, people have always been free to shop where ever they want. Personally I go where it's cheapest.

There's a station not far from work. They have ALWAYS been about 10 to 15 cents per gallon cheaper than Exxon (there are no more Mobil stations here). Lots of people started going there in order to save a few bucks. Guess what? They're not stupid. They raised their prices and are now only 1 - 2 cents cheaper. So frankly there's no difference.
 rod_steele
Msg: 213
Goofy Urban Legends
Posted: 4/2/2008 2:56:04 PM
"The unstated truth here is that everyone wants the price to come down so they can continue driving their gas-guzzling cars just like always.
We love our SUVs and big useless pickups and V8 engines .
It's so much fun being wasteful, gluttonous, and stupid. "

WTF is wrong with you...we are ENTITLED as Americans to drive what we want,where we want,whenever we want.We don't want to hear about accountability and personal responsibity...it's much easier to blame big oil and the government.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15