Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 phine_likker
Msg: 126
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15Page 6 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
^^ ^^

no-one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the [North] American public..

(some famous dude once said), H.L. Mencken I believe..

(very good point)
 gypsey1956
Msg: 127
view profile
History
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15
Posted: 5/5/2007 6:28:58 PM
i agree with u. they only want to see how much they can get and they dont care who they hurt. Mary
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2007 5:22:39 AM
such wishful thinking........
the purchase you make at your local gas station isnt an oil company purchase - even if there is a sign that says Exxon or BP. The oil companies are wholesalers not retailers. Even the branded stations are just franchises. The oil companies are not logging and monitorong daily sales at the pump - no need to.

Many of the stations are small independants - their daily sales data is not collaged into some national daily sales data to be examined.

you might as well all dive deep into Lake Ontatrio and fart at the same moment to see if the combined air bubble will make a noise as it rises up.

Its Capitalism - corporations are in business to make money. Yes the executives make obscene amounts of money but that isnt limited to the oil companies. Know who gets most of those profits? It might be you (in your stocks or mutual funds) or your parrents or your pension fund.
 cowboyjs
Msg: 130
Posted: 5/6/2007 5:39:18 AM
howdy well after i the gass went over a doller boy a scooter it cost me 4 dollers evere 2 weeks to go to work and shoping and just going for a drive there only like 3 t dollers there rilly good on gass and you dont need a motorcycle lince http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/model.asp?ModelName=Metropolitan+II&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=CHF50P5 cut and past that it so cheep t run it pays it self off.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 131
Posted: 5/6/2007 5:57:23 AM
The best way to help lower gas prices is buy half the gas you normally buy at a fill up. If you fill your tank only buy half a tank. If you go to half a tank only go to quarter of a tank . If you normally spend 20 bucks at pump only spend 10 blah blah blah. If everyone did this gas would go down . Unfortunately most people would not. This is a very easy thing to do .
 babygirl3796
Msg: 132
Posted: 5/6/2007 6:10:35 AM
I think it is great.......that there is a global war on gas prices....here in Canada.....I thought it was a local fight........but why should it be.....May 15th I will NOT FILL UP MY VAN........and have added it to facebook.....and all of my contacts on pof, hotmail.com....and 2 other sites........together we UNITE.......on MAY 15th..... lets send a message to the gas producers........at least it is one way to make me feel like I am saying something.......to all the nay sayers........MEH......hope you all DONT need GAS on MAY 15th.....and sub contiously, help us who may seem blind.......but are willing to try and be a solution to the problem

I already do the buy less gas.....and monitor just where I need to drive these days....limit my gas consumption.....but with so many having negative thoughts on any attempts to unite GLOBALLY.....one person doing without........does it have any impact.....I love the idea of doing the ONE DAY BOYCOTT.......and hoping for more of them.......Even a weekend one........Tuesday is mid week.......but one day for sure to Start....Who knows maybe next time a Friday.....or Saturday........but lets at least start somewhere.....
 DutchessAgain
Msg: 133
And so the real story goes...
Posted: 5/6/2007 6:34:05 AM
Ok, I've seen these post enough to make my head spin. So... In reference to the "Don't buy gas on May 15" postings all over email, bulletins and everything else. So here's the truth as posted on any website that talks about gimmicks, cons, folklore etc. Trust me, i don't mean this response as aimed towards anyone as a bad thing, I've just always been one to look up things before I pass them along in mass.

1. There was no nationwide "gas out" in 1997. There was one in 1999, but it didn't cause gas prices to drop 30 cents per gallon overnight. In fact, it didn't cause them to drop at all. Despite the popularity of the email campaign, the event itself attracted scant participation and was completely ineffectual.

2. There are over 205 million Internet users in the United States, far more than the 73 million claimed. Think about it.. MySpace alone has over 175 million registered users!

3. If, say, a hundred million drivers refused en masse to fill up their tanks on May 15, the total of what they didn't spend could amount to as much as $3 billion. However, it doesn't follow that such a boycott would actually decrease oil companies' revenues by that amount, given that the average sales of gasoline across the entire U.S. is under $1 billion per day in the first place.

4. Whether the total was a half-billion, 3 billion, or 10 billion dollars, the sales missed due to a one-day consumer boycott wouldn't hurt the oil companies one bit. Think about it. Every single American who doesn't buy gas on Tuesday is still going to have to fill up their tank on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Sales for the week would end up being perfectly normal, or very close to it. A meaningful boycott would entail participants actually consuming less fuel -- and doing so in a sustained, disciplined fashion over a period of time -- not just choosing to wait a day or two before filling up as usual.

5. How many American workers, single parents, gas attendants etc will be sent home early from work because business is slow? How many of our own will this effect, if it were true at all? It would hurt paychecks of people we know, jobs, income, and most of all, the stability on which the US rest.

-Shannon
 ketch
Msg: 134
Posted: 5/6/2007 6:34:25 AM
A gas strike won't work in the long run. However, if everyone checked their tire pressure, replaced their air filter, and drove a little slower, we could all reduce our consumption.

The tires pressue is a sure winner. Half of the vehicles on the road have improperly inflated tires. That can increase fuel consumption by up to 10%. If everyone checked their tire pressue on May 15th and then half of 73 million people would improve their milage.

If the improvement is only 5%, that works out to $2.00 per person per fill up or a whopping 73 million dollars less fuel purchased in the following week. And that's with a little air.

The air filter and driving slower could have an equivalent impact.

In order to impact Gas prices we have to reduce consumption. It the old law of supply and demand.

Ketch
 Golfer7777
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2007 9:40:10 AM
I won’t be buying gas on May 15th. or that whole week as a matter of fact. I will be home on during that week so I wont need to.
But striking 2 days after Mothers Day is a little stupid... Why not before or during Mothers Day?
I know, everyone will be visiting their mothers and wouldn't think of striking at that time. Striking for a whole weekend is still a better option!
 upuralley
Msg: 138
And so the real story goes...
Posted: 5/6/2007 3:05:39 PM
im not buying gas on the 15th, im save for the 16th when they double it.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2007 7:39:54 PM

"or we can let gradually increasing prices help motivate us to use less and accelerate development of alternate transportation options."

The problem with this line of thought is that as the Chariman of Exxon/Mobil recently said, "there's no money in the development of alternative energy sources, and were here to make a buck."

It's uncanny how much this sounds like the chairman of GM a few years ago saying there was no future in hybrid cars. Funny thing is, a couple of years later he admitted that moving away from hybrid technology was the single biggest mistake he had made.

Fortunately, BP, Shell, and Conoco-Phillips DO think there's money to be made in alternative energy and are investing in it, even if not as heavily as I might wish they were.

I do thank you, though, for challenging the logic of my argument, rather than twisting my intent or just not bothering to read what I write as some others here seem to have done. I'll respond to those in my next post.

Bear in mind that Exxon is the only oil company still highly skeptical about the need to take action on climate change, and emerging climate change policy will certainly create incentives to invest in alternate energy.

Dave
 Jiperly
Msg: 140
Posted: 5/6/2007 8:08:52 PM
Come on people

Lemme predict what will happen;

Anyone who agrees with this pledge will make sure to fill up a day or two before and just not fill up at all. This is nothing more than an attempt to shake up an already shaky market by choosing to fill up early. Its an exercise in collective idiocy.

And if this did work, there is no way this action will "send a message to the big oil companies" or anything like that- the only people who will suffer from these actions are the people who need that money- gas station attendants will be fired a million times over before a single person in upper management will be looked at twice

Lets just say you're right- lets say that everyone in the country were to stop buying gas for one day- thats all fine and dandy, but that doesn't solve the problem because you're still USING GAS. Putting your efforts in conservation, in Ethonal efficact cars- that would kick the gas producers where it hurts- this solves not a damn thing, other than giving people the vague feeling of good by doing harm.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2007 9:36:53 PM
OK, now my response to those who think they know what I mean better than I do.

mightbeme04, you started and ended a post by cussing me out, and filled the middle with your take on why prices are what they are, none of which contradicted anything I'd written so far. In fact the few times I've even touched on why gas prices are high right now I've admitted I really don't know why. So once again, what is it that I said that made you make me the focus of your attack? Your explanation may well be true as to why today's price is higher than yesterday's, but that has nothing to do with my assertion that the day is coming when demand will outstrip supply and the less we use now the more we'll have for later. You are disagreeing with me violently when nothing I said contradicts anything you said.

sassymiss, once again you accuse me of being insensitive to the plight of low and fixed income people. I responded before at length why my perspective shows MORE concern for exactly those people than those who would like to encourage them to keep using more gas right up until the day when shortages and extreme high prices hit. Challenge my argument if you like, but please stop mis-interpreting my motivations and who I care about.

dorionland, it seems you made the leap from me supporting high prices for gas to me justifying high profits for oil companies. I would only support those profits IF they were used for the same purposes you'd like them to be used for. I've explained that already.

As to my personal practices, you've leaped to some conclusions that would leave me with a lot more money in my pocket than I have. I'm not going to go digging up all my records for the past three and a half years, but in terms of taxpayer dollars spent supporting my work, you're certainly welcome to. My last name is Bassage. My salary and expenses during my tenure working for the WV Dept. of Environmental Protection are a matter of public record. Knock yourself out. The period in question would be from November of 2003, when I bought my Prius, to June 2006, the last month I claimed any travel expenses from that job.

My work is promoting sustainability concepts. These days much of it is volunteer, which means the only cash benefit I glean from mileage is a tax deduction that's somewhere around 8-10 cents per mile, if I remember correctly, which translates to a quarter of that in terms of actual cash benefit. Even a Prius costs more than a couple of cents per mile to drive. I just peeked at my last tax return and last year my charity mileage deduction netted me $74.50 in terms of increase to my refund.

Currently I am a consultant, and only one of my clients at the moment covers travel. When I was working for the state my commute was 35 miles each way, and I received no compensation for that. I only turned in mileage on long trips, many of which were in lieu of flying, which saved taxpayer dollars. Conventional wisdom at the agency was that it didn't pay to drive your own car compared to using a pool vehicle. I remember doing the math at one point and whatever mileage I'd turned in at that point didn't cover my depreciation.

Bottom line is that buying a Prius was no cash cow for me. I'd have made more if I drove a 12 year old economy car like yours.

You've accused me of not being a perfect environmentalist. I'm not. You've accused me of wasting taxpayer money. I didn't. If you'd like to contact me privately I'd be glad to hash that argument out with you, but here it just distracts from the point of the thread. I've done everything I could to make my argument clear. You and some others persist in ignoring my argument and attacking me instead.

Can I take that to mean you concede my argument is valid?

Dave
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 142
Posted: 5/6/2007 10:31:14 PM
Dave, our problem (as a country) is that we've lived on Easy Street for so long, we have this sense of, erm, entitlement (not to mention virtue) that's going to be very very hard to change. Thanks for fighting the good fight!

GORE 08

RightGuyWrites
Msg: 143
Posted: 5/7/2007 7:35:25 AM
Global Mythical Misfit Al Gore has tons of his portfolio invested with Occidental Petroleum. Bush controls the oil prices just like The Kennedy family controls the price of Scotch. Bush family also controls the prices of oil just like the Gore family controls the prices of Cigarettes. Al's family made tons of money raising tobacco. Get the facts straight.
 call me J
Msg: 144
Posted: 5/7/2007 3:28:44 PM
How much profit do you think the oil company is making per gallon of fuel ? Compare how most products sold in north america have from 20% to 60% mark up on them. The oil company actually makes very little per gallon, it's the sheer volume that makes the profits. Demand is going up, the more you use, the more their total profit is.

Be happy the price is where it is now, because in the not so distant future you'll be ****ing that you wish it was this cheap... when there aren't shortages in your area that is. :)
 rory27
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 5:48:40 AM
OK, I'm only on page 8 so far. Three or four main points to date:

1) A lot has been made so far in the thread about Big Oil manipulating prices, speculators capitalizing, government collusion, and the like. I side with both sides in this murky morass, in different ways. But it misses the crux of the problem:

oil has either peaked (as of last year), is peaking now, or will peak in the forseeable future (84 million barrels a day of world oil use has flatlined for several years, and there are an ocean of ominous numbers coming out of Mexico, Prudhoe Bay, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere to suggest that the "rear-view mirror" Peak Oil apex is coming into focus).

At the same time as production is entering a permanent decline, demand is increasing exponentially, and will continue so into the future, barring sizeable die-offs.

Which means ----?

The salient, simple, and powerful fact of supply-and-demand. You don't need to be an economist to understand that when there is a growing scarcity of a product, especially in relation to its increasing attraction, prices will go up, even skyrocket. So all this whining of inflated gas prices (as ridiculous as it is, to me) is beside the point: ALL markets act to drive prices up (that's what our free-enterprise system is all about) in this scenario.

2) Conversations about this and other related matters tend to concentrate on a narrowly-focused American context, but of course it's an international problem;

it's already been mentioned, but it bears repeating: American gas prices are the cheapest in the developed world. At around $3 a gallon, it is surpassed by (in comparable U.S. rates):

Canada $4
Australia $5
New Zealand $6
U.K. $7
Continental Europe $7-8

I don't have Japan's current price, though it's higher, as well.

As for the developing nations, it gets much scarier: in the Phillipines or Malaysia, it can cost a month's wages to fill up the tank. Want a guess as to how much driving occurs there amongst the general populace?

Then we have all those 3 car-garage families in the poorer nations. (Guess why oil prices REALLY haven't increased much lately-- however much you think they should be set at? Because Africa is the first area to be going through major demand destruction. In other words, they don't have the wealth to compete in international bidding wars for oil. They're out of the game, so the U.S. as well as other developed countries benefit, for now, by having fewer buying competitors.)

Why, then, does America have the cheapest rates for gas at the pumps in the world? The reason is because the U.S., like no other country, has by far the most invested in keeping the American way of life operating smoothly. Price spikes would affect the national economy big time. 70% of U.S. GNP is based on consumerism. If you can't afford to gas up, you're not only directly putting a dent in the economy, you're also (by extension) not able to buy a million doodads from mega-stores (most of which are designed to be only accessed by vehicles), you're not able to buy more vehicles, not able to frequent other businesses as readily, not able to contribute to the many ancillary vehicle service outlets.

The average American household makes 11 separate automobile excursions each day. That's a lot of business going down. Whatever your views on conspiracy or collusion likelihood, in light of the above, it makes sense for the feds to help keep the pumps pumping.

3) I'm amazed that so far no one on my side of the argument has made the MACROcosmic point:

Exxon doesn't make their $33 billion just on how many people gas up, and how frequently. Oil and gas transcend the mania of our car culture:

Their cash registers go ka-ching!! also every time:

anyone eats (unless they buy their food from small, organic farms) since agribusiness runs on fossil fuel in the form of pesticides (gas) and fertilizers (oil), refrigeration, farm machinery, transportation, processing, and plastics.

uses a computer (plastic components).

has a medical procedure, buys electronic equipment, turns on the lights (in half of all households), lives in a building (oil-derivative construction materials), uses air-conditioning, and much else.

A one-day gas "strike"? I love these euphemisms. As others have mentioned, the "strikers" will simply buy their gas on the 14th or 16th. In this case, it's analogous to someone showing up 5 minutes late for work.

So what is a meaningful statement of the same kind? Two days? Same thing. A week? That'll send a message, to be sure. A month?

Who do you think will win in a mano-a-mano standoff? How will you get to work (as many in this thread are already whining about in an alternative-choice context)? Shop? Tool around town raising hell, or just sightseeing, or visiting friends, as has been your custom? It's a bit more of a "sacrifice" in this way, isn't it?

And what will the Exxon execs be doing during this week or month strike? How much of their $33 billion will deplete? And do you thing they'll join you, or will they cruise the city in their Mercedes', business as usual?

Again, who do you think will fold in this contest?

Want to effect change?

Quit driving. Not for a week. Permanently. Or at least severely curtail it.

Shop locally. Quit buying sh!t you don't really want, let alone need, anyway.

Move closer to work. The U.S. economy is built around suburban development and accessorizing. You made the choice to flee the busier stretches near work for the quiet picket-fence dream. But that way of life is going the way of the dodo. And it ain't coming back. After Peak Oil, the suburbs will be the new ghettoes.

The point to the last segment above is perfectly encapsulated in the following quote by notaclone on page 7:

Pocketbook costs will affest people's actual conservaation behavior 1000 X more than cute ads asking ppl. to 'conserve'.

Anyone who seriously studies human nature knows that the majority of people are somewhat or mainly slothful and REactive. Government ain's gonna bail you out (it's the nature of any large organization to be reactive and impotent). Big Oil certainly ain't volunteering (for obvious selfish purposes). That leaves the consumer/citizen to be proactive, which puts the MAIN blame not on the feds or big oil, but on US (not the U.S., ha). Since that seems improbable if not impossible because of many psychological factors too lengthy and complex to expatiate on here, it's apparent that only when supply/demand becomes completely untenable that a different arrangement will have to be made. THEN the gov't will follow. And big oil will become declawed.

Pain is almost always a more powerful motivator than altruistic thinking.
 call me J
Msg: 150
Posted: 5/8/2007 8:54:50 AM
rory27 made the most accurate and insightful post I've seen in this thread. Excellent understanding, especially on looking farther than your own nose, something most people in this thread really can't seem to do.

Catmand, you really should read Rory27's post over.

1 day of not buying gas is useless, i'm sorry, it's a noble idea to stand up to the man, but the 1 day is useless. It's like a token gesture that means nothing. To have any impact on a company, you'd need to not buy gas (and for more than a day) and NOT USE GAS.

Look at it like this. Very simplified generic
Normal USAGE...............................................One Day STRIKE USAGE
day......$ spent on gas....$ worth of gas used....$ spent on gas....$ worth of gas used
Mon.....$10....................$10...........................$10....................$10
Tue......$10....................$10...........................STRIKE.............$10
Wed.....$10....................$10...........................$20....................$10
Thu.....$10....................$10...........................$10....................$10
Fri.....$10....................$10...........................$10......................$10
Sat.....$10....................$10...........................$10......................$10
Sun.....$10....................$10...........................$10.....................$10
Total...$ spent on gas....$ worth of gas used....$ spent on gas....$ worth of gas used
...........$70....................$70...........................$70.....................$70

What did you you accomplish with a 1 day no buying strike ? If your usage doesn't drop, you've done nothing. And I seriously doubt the lazy masses are willing to all give up driving for day or more to make a point.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15