Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 call me J
Msg: 177
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15Page 8 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

the snopes link was given to us back on page 2 on message 49 fifteen days ago

And pretty much nobody seems to have read it. If they had, I can't see how we'd keep seeing posts about how this or that poster is IN for the strike! Go team ! Ya, lets show them...

As for the poster saying it would make an impact by stopping buying from one particular company, that won't work either. Stop buying from Exxon and demand at other stations will rise. Initially, they'll probably have some shortages as their supply goes faster than anticipated. But, Exxon will sell it's supplies on the open market to others to sell at retail, and all you'll likely have done is create short term shortage, potentially driving the price higher...
 call me J
Msg: 178
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15
Posted: 5/14/2007 3:16:04 PM
Have you even read anything on lifeaftertheoilcrash ?

You come back post like a typical ass, and ignore reality.

The 1 day gas strike has been tried, what 4 times ? with zero, ZERO impact.

Why ?

Because it's pointless. You're not showing them anything at all. To get any attention people would have to actually NOT USE GAS for that day and realistically other days as well. Simply changing the day you buy, while using the same amount of gas is pure idiocy. You change nothing.

It's a useless plan to let people feel like they tried, without actually having to experience any sacrifice at all.
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2007 3:50:58 PM
If politicians had to pay for their own gas what would the price be

uh, they do
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 9:38:10 AM

And the normal gouging when memorial weekend comes up . And the 4th of July. All real good excuses for screwing people.

What do people do on Memorial Weekend and the 4th of July a lot more than anytime of the year? Besides drinking, of course. :-)

Do you know the answer?
Really think about it
Is it sinking in yet?
Very many people travel on those days
Education is priceless
 2findU
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 11:43:36 AM
The only reason I'm not getting gas today is because both my cars don't need it. I have 3/4 tank on one car and the other is almost full. But I'm not doing this BS strike because there is never a strike to begin with. It always seems to work out for me that I just don't seem to need gas on the day of the so called strike.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 11:49:04 AM

Possibly some of the most in depth info you'll find, including the realities of every alternative energy source available. A lot of people will be very surprised... if they actually take the time to read it through.

Yes, it is the most complete, well-written and researched info on oil that I've even seen. It's also easy to comprehend, so any jo-schmo can make sense of it. Well maybe not rk. ;-)
For those that are too lazy to read, "The End of Suburbia" is a most excellent doc. Interestingly enough, I was chatting with a co-worker one day about certain areas in our city, as he's an unban planner. He goes to a lot of conferences and has many collegues in the field. He told me that many think our Suburbs will be the slums of the future. The thought was absurd to me until he explained his logic. Later that night, I was channel surfing and came across "The End of Suburbia," playing on the doc channel. How Twilight Zone is that, eh? Needless to say, I watched with great interest and the doc pretty much re-iterated what my co-worker said. Very eye-opening, indeed.
 Savanna
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 1:47:34 PM
Well.. thought I would let ya all know that...

I work at a gas station. This is the busiest day that we've had all month.
So much for a gas strike.
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 4:35:59 PM
I had chili for lunch and a lot of gas today..........
 call me J
Msg: 185
Posted: 5/15/2007 5:02:03 PM

Well I didn't buy gas today and I feel I did my small part,maybe if people didn't buy gas every Tuesday then something might happen.

No, nothing would happen.

How can this extremely simple reality seem so difficult to grasp.

If you still USE the same amount of fuel, it doesn't matter what day you bought it on.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 5:03:07 PM
So as I promised way back in message 7 of this thread, I bought gas today. The price jumped nearly twenty cents between morning and afternoon, yet when I asked the guy at the counter as I paid if he'd noticed any less people buying gas today he held up a stack of receipts and said it had been the BUSIEST day he'd seen at the pumps in weeks. Maybe the word got out about the jump in price. Who knows. Regardless, at least at that Shell station, no boycott impact felt at all.

And yes, I bought AFTER the price increase, because I was running late this morning, so all who don't understand or agree with my arguments here can cheer that I had to pay an extra couple of bucks

So unless there was far greater participation in the boycott than seems to have been the case, I guess the debate can rage on. Those who understand economics and the basic priciples of supply and demand will continue to try to reason with those who will try to say that gas prices would have dropped if we'd only taken a one day break from buying gas.

Just reporting my one data point.

Dave
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 187
Posted: 5/15/2007 8:45:57 PM
Well, I didn't. But then I wouldn't have. Only buy gas about every six weeks or so. But I would have boycotted. I actually like boycotting. My life doesn't feel full if I'm not, lol! But Wal-Mart does it for me most years.

spacemonkeymafia
Msg: 188
Posted: 5/15/2007 9:29:08 PM
I bought gas today just to prove what I know......there was no strike today.
 rockondon
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 9:55:41 PM
Gas prices shot up 7 cents here. The strike is working perfectly
 call me J
Msg: 190
GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15 why not boycott esso or one gas staion
Posted: 5/16/2007 12:06:29 AM

Boycottig all gas companies will never work cause you have to buy gas sometime why not boy cott american stations esso chev... shell buy rom mohawk and petro can start a price war that way that the only way it will work then when they drop prices to get business back ...... get the point ????

You still lack a basic understanding of this.

Even if you and everyone else bought absolutely nothing from a particular gas company, they'd still be selling their product. That company would be selling it's products to other gas companies to retail. The gas supply is very fragile, if they didn't sell the fuel to those other companies, you'd have shortages. But that won't and wouldn't happen from boycotting a particular station. they won't sit on the stock and the other companies won't sit with empty pumps because their own stock wasn't enough.

Not to mention, that if the favored stations ran dry, 95% of you would then buy gas from the boycotted station, cause god forbid you had to experience any hardship while making your grand gesture.

Basic rule is, if you do not USE LESS fuel, it doesn't matter, you've done nothing, except convince yourself you were making a stand.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2007 4:17:59 AM
tattat... what kind of car do you drive and how much do you drive on a weekly basis? Answer these questions, and I'll give you tips on how to get back at the oil companies (hint... one-day boycotting is not one of the options).
 Jiperly
Msg: 192
Posted: 5/16/2007 5:09:07 AM
>>>Ya do it till it hurts them. They obviously don't mind hurting you do they?

Who, exactly, would you be hurting?

Because I'm quite sure the men of OPEC won't feel a thing from this.

You know what would really hurt them? What would really send them a message, and help the masses?

Give up Oil.

Just give it up- that'd hurt those evil investors who saw a thriving market and risked their money on it- how dare they make profit off their investments! They should be punished!

And while not actually changing the amount you spend on gas might send them a message in Bizzarro World, outright stopping will most definitely ensure that the gas prices will drop

Come on- you're asking for these investors to take a dive for the masses- why don't you practise what you preach? Or does your principals only go as far as your comfort?
 Jiperly
Msg: 193
Posted: 5/16/2007 5:14:03 AM
>>>You sheep just corral in the corners and stink up the place.

We sheep are looking at this idea and attacking it with reason and logic. You, the shepard, are looking at this idea and assuming it will work because it came from the internet- and god only knows the internet is infallible, while logic and examples of how it hasn't worked in the past, and the opinion of people who have dedicated their lives to looking at how the economy works- those are obviously flawed.

Seriously dude- lets see your proof, other than "you guys are sheep"
 spacemonkeymafia
Msg: 194
Posted: 5/16/2007 1:48:04 PM
Thanks for coming to my defence bookworm and to you Tat Tat let me, let you in on a secret....There is no Gas strike. This thing has being going on for 3 yrs now and as i said on page one of this post..."You only hurt the gas stations by doing a strike". See....they already bought the gas from the companys. You only hurt the gas stations who by the way sell the gas to you for a 3 cent profit. There was never a Gas Strike......
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2007 2:49:11 PM

You know what would really hurt them? What would really send them a message, and help the masses?

Give up Oil.

want to have a boycott that will work? dont consume oil for one day..or one week - none. no gas, no a/c, no lights or computer...get millions to do that and it will be noticed ( but it wont bring price down)

might as well be a bunch of alcholics boycotting happy hour - they know you will be back
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2007 6:42:29 PM

might as well be a bunch of alcholics boycotting happy hour - they know you will be back

That's a great analogy. And funny too!
 call me J
Msg: 197
Posted: 5/17/2007 11:56:00 AM

He doesn't CARE when the gas prices go up??? Well, he must be working for the oil industry as a millionaire, because anyone who would cheer the gas going from $2.09 a gallon last fall to $3.25 a gallon in the summer is a severe nutcase!

You'd need to look at the big picture, not your own personal space. Rising prices is generally a counterbalance to usage, causing usage to lower. With a dwindling supply, rising prices makes the supply last longer. Yes you'll **** and moan about it, and you'll be forced to use less, just like the rest of the world.

Rising prices also pushes investment into alternate fuels, which is necessary to facilitate a changeover away from oil. If oil prices are low, there is no incentive to invest into costly changeovers.

Look beyond your own nose, it's not all about you, it's a global issue thats been ignored by the USA until it can't be ignored any longer.
 marita_b
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 7:02:23 AM
what if they called for a gas strike,...and no one noticed,.....

what kind of a strike was that????????

(boy,...we really knew how to protest in the sixties,....didn't we )
 charliemcsd
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:41:44 PM

Msg 7 must be out of his mind?

Actually Msg #7 is spot on..
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:49:04 PM
WEll...Gas went up a nickle since the strike.

PLEASE! NO MORE GAS STRIKES. I can't afford them.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15