Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > U.S. troops used 'comfort women' after War      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 16
view profile
History
U.S. troops used 'comfort women' after WarPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
How do you know I am not from Germany?

I don't but this matters how?

I was merely backing up my earlier claim with something you can read up for yourself,....

And why do you need a British newspaper to tell you about these things?

and why is it important where the information comes from as long as it is correct information? If you read the articles you can clearly see that there are many reference points including AMERICAN SOURCES,....like CNN

but FYI to you just because information isn't coming from CNN or fox, dosen't mean it's false,...they have journalists coming from all sorts of different countries,...

I suppose you take your cues from Ian Kershaw, too?

Boy you had to dig to come up with that one didn'tyou but,...

since Kershaw worked on the 1970s, Martin Broszat's "Bavaria Project", which resulted in his first book on the Third Reich, The 'Hitler Myth'; Image and Reality in the Third Reich which was first published in German in 1980 as Der Hitler-Mythos : Volksmeinung und Propaganda im Dritten Reich. This book examined the "Hitler cult" in Germany, how it was developed by Joseph Goebbels, what social groups the "Hitler cult" appealed to and how it rose and fell.,......

He probably also knew about this part of Hitler's Germany,...during the war,...can't say for certain since I never read his books,...in english or in german,...
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 17
U.S. troops used 'comfort women' after War
Posted: 5/10/2007 12:20:10 AM
Marita b,

I asked you how did you know I wasn't from Germany because you made it a point to say you were German born, much in the same way someone will say, "I am a conservative Republican and...," and then tell you that 14 of their best friends are black and/or gay or some other foolishness--you get the idea.

Moreover, I am contesting the accuracy of the newspaper you have cited, though that particular paper does report some things accurately, things like burglaries and local political contests. But the paper's stance on this particular subject is to be expected. I am sure that if Hitler had been a staunch advocate of same sex marriage or had wanted to open up Germany's borders to, say, Haitians or Pakistanies, then most newspapers and writers today would be praising him to high heaven.

What makes you think I like or trust American sources better, particularly CNN or Fox? Start thinking out of the box for a change, Marita b. You are allowed to have an idea that is not put in your head by someone else, you don't even have to march in lockstep with everyone else. Trust me. Your bank account will still be there in the morning,and you won't drop dead of a heart attack. You can even get dates.

And no, I did not have to dig to mention "Sir" Ian Kershaw. But I would think that "The World's Foremost Historian On Nazi Germany" is probably someone who can at least speak or read German. I mean, how the hell can Kershaw study, let along evaluate, original documents? (By the way, that is the media's and academia's quote about Kershaw being the foremost historian, I know you never said it). LOL, I was amused, but not surprised,when it was reported some seven years ago (I believe in The Daily Mail, even) that this mster historian of the Third Reich failed to identify Himler. I had believed that even American ball game fans knew this particular Nazi by photograph.

As an aside, I thought Kershaw's "Hitler Myth: Image and Reality,"more accurately described the techniques of propaganda used to make conservatives in the United States believe that the old actor who was installed in the White House during the eighties was somehow a "Conservative." I encourage anyone to read the book.

By the Bye, Britain had an empire that they bragged "the sun never set on"judging by newspaper reports and the nonsense sputtered by that old woman they call a "Queen" while she was in this country the other day, I would say that the sun is getting ready to set for the last time in that once great nation.
 marita_b
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2007 8:05:59 AM
rpburnsusa,...you didn't actually read my whole response did you ?
because I addressed most of the points you are re again,....

Okey dokey,..one more time for the cheap seats up top,...

Also if you are or are not a German,....Dont know,.....don't care either,...
I made the point regarding me,...because all of my family (except my parent and sister) are still there,...
so the story of some of the children born of these circumstances had met,...
in Germany this isn't a state secret anymore,..
it had been the **stard child so to speak of the country,...one more degradation to have to atone for,....

as for your contesting the accuracy of the news web site,...
take it up with them as again,...don't care,...
I don't work for them so it's nothing to me,..

The story actually isn't breaking news,...it's been known for some time now,....so if you don't like my source,....how's this,....Newsweek,....read all about it,...or find your own,...there are plenty out there in the great www,....I even remember seeing a made for TV movie all about one of those homes,....can't remember the title though,...old age you know,...I think it's some 15-20 years ago,....

but here is an anicdotal bit of info,...http://children.safepassagefoundation.org/archives/2001/02/index.html
Anni-Frid "Frida" Lyngstad ,one of the singers of the former pop cult band ABBA is probably one of the most famous Lebensborn-children. Born to a German nazi officer and a Norwegian mother during the German occupation of Norway, Anni-Frid belonged to the "children of shame" – unwanted after the Germans lost the war

Being an illegitimate child of a Nazi, her grandmother took her to Sweden to escape mistreatment - children of enemies were ostracized in post-war Norway.

Blue eyes and blond hair preferred

"Lebensborn" was a special Aryan breeding Programm established in 1935, the brainchild of Heinrich Himmler, head of the SS. He wanted to breed what he considered racially "superior children".

Himmler regarded the Norwegians with their blue eyes and blond hair as especially aryan and pure.

The aim of the programme was to entrust leadership of Norway to these "Aryans" after the war, or to have them and their mothers move to Germany to bring more Nordic blood into the German Reich.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the newsweek article,.... in it's entirety
http://children.safepassagefoundation.org/archives/2000/05/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
one the page below you can see the house she was born in,....it's referred to as
miscellanious site number 5

but on this page are pictureed many other houses,...
http://www.thirdreichruins.com/misc_sites5.htm

The SS established a Lebensborn home at Steinhöring, east of Munich. These homes were provided primarily for unwed mothers of children by SS fathers, and also for young children from Germanic provinces who were waiting adoption. The Third Reich period sculpture below of a mother nursing her child can be found today on the grounds of the Steinhöring home.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&formtype=latlong&latlongtype=decimal&latitude=48.0854&longitude=12.0262
The above link is to a map quest link showing exactly where it is,.....
as for my sending you to one of the American so called news sources,...
you struck me as the type that if it isn't in CNN then it can't have happened type,....
my bad,...and no I take nothing they cite for gospel,....
In fact I take very few things for gospel untill I check it out for myself,...
which you can do if you want to rebutt my accuracy of the story I broke to you,...

Marita b. You are allowed to have an idea that is not put in your head by someone else, you don't even have to march in lockstep with everyone else. Trust me. Your bank account will still be there in the morning,and you won't drop dead of a heart attack. You can even get dates.

why thank you very much,....and
saaay whaaat?,....I mean,...your point here is what??????????

here too is a point of yours,....
As an aside, I thought Kershaw's "Hitler Myth: Image and Reality,"more accurately described the techniques of propaganda used to make conservatives in the United States believe that the old actor who was installed in the White House during the eighties was somehow a "Conservative." I encourage anyone to read the book.

By the Bye, Britain had an empire that they bragged "the sun never set on"judging by newspaper reports and the nonsense sputtered by that old woman they call a "Queen" while she was in this country the other day, I would say that the sun is getting ready to set for the last time in that once great nation.

again I fail to see the relevence of this point,....or even the point,...at all,....
 sfrandy8
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2007 10:59:12 PM
Have any of you actually served in the military? I can tell you that being a sniper in the Special Forces, I spent many, many days in the nastiest bug infested places by myself for very long periods of time. Yes it is true, I did do this on my own and wasn't forced into it, but come on now there are many that get lonely and desperate right in you own towns. Even though I don't think I would ever be so desperate to get a hooker, I do understand why many soldiers did. But why are you wasting so much time on something that happened before you were even born? Spend some time trying to come with up with a way to stop all of the illegal aliens from crossing our borders and using up money that should be used to assist your families if the need ever arose.

And by the way, regardless of whether we all think we should or shouldn't be in Iraq, it's not our soldiers fault, they are just doing a job. And that job is making sure that I can speak my peace on a site like this without having to look over my shoulder!
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/10/2007 11:13:57 PM
Marita b.,

Thank you for the little history lesson. However, I have known it for quite some time, you see, my mother is one of those, how did you put it? "Children of Shame?" Needless to say, we beg to differ with you.

I am reminded of what a Southerner reportedly once told a vistiting Yankee," We don't have quite as high an opinion of Mr. Lincoln around here as you seem to."

As to the rest, I am sure you don't get the point.

Lar,

You missed the point of my post as well. I think you need to read it again. My point was that the Japaneese don't care how many they killed. And if you told them about it, they would shrug their shoulders.
 jacobite45
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/12/2007 2:50:18 PM
ummmm, no, the use of comfort women is as old as armies themselves. Whenever you read about "camp followers and women" in history books they are talking about this. That hookers are named after Gen Joe Hooker is an Urban Legend..lol

The slang term hooker 'a prostitute, esp. a streetwalker' does not stem from the name of Maj. Gen. Joseph "Fighting Joe" Hooker (1814-79).

General Hooker was certainly known for his eccentricity; Ulysses S. Grant described him as "a dangerous man...not subordinate to his superiors." He was also known for the poor character of his men, who got into trouble for abuses of liquor on a fairly frequent basis. Popular stories attribute the word hooker to the general Hooker in several different ways; sometimes it is said that his men were especially desirous of prostitutes when on leave, and sometimes one hears that Hooker actually let his men keep prostitutes in the barracks.

However, Hooker is not responsible for the word hooker, simply because the word predates the Civil War by a good margin. The earliest known example of the word is found in 1845, in North Carolina: "If he comes by way of Norfolk he will find any number of pretty Hookers in the Brick row not far from French's hotel."

Another pre-Civil War example is found in the second edition of John Bartlett's Dictionary of Americanisms in 1859; Bartlett defines hooker as "A resident of the Hook, i.e. a strumpet, a sailor's trull." He goes on to make the unlikely speculation that the word is "So called from the number of houses of ill-fame frequented by sailors at the Hook (i.e., Corlear's Hook) in the city of New York."

Some historians have suggested that hooker was, if not coined, at least popularized during the Civil War, and that our general was indeed the cause of this popularization.

The true origin of hooker seems to be the earlier verb hook meaning 'to entice; swindle', and the agent suffix -er, with hooker thus meaning literally 'a person that entices; a swindler'.
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19970905
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > U.S. troops used 'comfort women' after War