Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Good booksPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
This Much I know is True- Wally Lamb

Big book however one of the better books I have read in awhile. :)
 DJMac
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 10/4/2007 10:11:14 AM
I love to read and would rather do that than sit in front of the idiot box known as television. I seldom read fiction because its hard for me to get into it, so I stick to non fiction because I love to read about things that actually happened. I love to read books relating to history, music, politics, social issues or pop culture. Just started reading Robert Dallak's new book called Nixon & Kissinger. I am only 100 pages into it so far but its astonishing but Dallak's bio on LBJ was good too(didnt read his bio on JFK yet).

One of my other favorite writers is Peter Guralnick. Read his book Sweet Soul Music which goes into detail of the whole southern soul scene of the 1960's. Also his bio of Sam Cooke should be in everyone's book shelf. A wonderful read indeed.
 snuggable_me
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:19:59 AM
I cannot list my favourites - I'm sure there is a character limit for each post, lol... However, I fully agree with the Terry Goodkind suggestion - that series is what inspired both of my kids to become readers!

I would also recommend in the fiction genre Companion To Wolves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear - very powerful stuff.

I don't think that *anything* is too "deep" to read.
 johnm23357
Msg: 57
Good books
Posted: 11/5/2008 2:25:25 PM

atlas shrugged was entertaining

I liked The Fountainhead better.

A recent discovery of mine is the John Steibeck book "In Dubious Battle". I think it was suppressed during much of the 20th century because in this book the Communist Party are the good guys. Still on par with "The Grapes of Wrath" and an excellent read. Like "The Grapes of Wrath" the book is about how desperate the people of the great depression were with an O'Henry twist at the end.
 junipermoon
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:10:39 AM
i just finished lawrence scanlan's the horse god built. scanlan, a canadian writer, wanted to write a secretariat biography and discovered a rarely-mentioned character in the great horse's drama. eddie 'shorty' sweat, the horse's groom, spent more time with big red than any of the other connections. grooms work harder than any other track workers and get the least recognition. the book details sweat's devotion to the champion and secretariat's bond with the groom. scanlan creates a portrait of loyalty, race relations and the seldom-scene world of the backstretch worker.
 4Suns3
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 11/8/2008 9:11:46 PM
The Way The Crow Flies by Anne Marie MacDonald

Crow Lake by Mary Larson

Fall On Your Knees by Anne Marie MacDonald

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Life of Pi by Jann Martel ?
 junipermoon
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 11/9/2008 5:06:28 PM
i just started the audacity of hope by barack obama. a thought-provoking read and very insightful. but i think the secretariat bio i mentioned earlier is more riveting.
 daynadaze
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 2/6/2009 1:09:55 PM
There's a great new book coming out in the Spring, Tender Graces by Kathryn Magendie, she's a new writer, well newly published novel anyway. Look for it!

To Kill a Mockingbird, is a book I've been reading since childhood and never get tired of.

For fun reads I like the Jennifer Weiner books.

Rising Tide and The Great Influenza by John H. Barry were extremely interesting reads. The first is about the Mississippi River and the great floods, and the latter is about how the flu spread and killed so many during WWI, they are both a history lesson and a warning to those who don't learn from history. I had no idea that the flu effected even the out come of Germany after the war that lead to Hitler coming to power. Amazing stuff, but can be a slow read.

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, one of my all-time favorites.
 Huggles
Msg: 71
Good books
Posted: 2/6/2009 6:30:28 PM
It's Only A Mountain by D ick and Rick Hoyt.

I openly cried and laughed on my bus rides to work in the morning. If you EVER feel like giving up, read and re-read this book!
 BuffaloGalLooking
Msg: 73
Good books
Posted: 2/7/2009 10:32:53 AM
I'm a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan. HUGE. Just finished his latest, "The Graveyard Book", and loved it. Dying to go see "Coraline" because the book was so good. I like his more adult works the best though. "American Gods" was excellent. I highly recommend it.
 shawnscmc
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 2/7/2009 10:47:40 AM
The Shack. I love how it was written.
 ~Maenad~
Msg: 76
Good books
Posted: 2/7/2009 2:01:25 PM
My favorites include:

Anything by Dostoevsky...one of the greatest IMO
Henry Miller.. read everything he wrote, liked Nin by association, but didn't find her to be in the same league as Miller.
Margaurite Duras... The Lover was incredible
The Marquis de Sade.. read Juliette if you have an afternoon or a few (!)...it is hard to develop an "ear" for it at first, due to the stilted 1700's style of language, but well worth it! Somewhat "amatuerish" style (as if I am in any postion to criticize) but brilliant--you have to consider the circumstances under which it was written...it forever colored my world.
Anything by Steinbeck: To a God Unknown was "spooky"
Tennessee William's short stories are Great
Doris Lessing
Dickens
T.S Eliot
Bukowski
Sylvia Plath
Baltasar Gracian: The Art of Worldly Wisdom-- an easy, but profound read
Baudelaire: Paris Spleen---you Won't be disappointed!

There are so many more...much of what was posted before, I have to agree with. To read a great book is to slake a deep thirst... Nothing else will do.

I tend to read books in spits and spats. I suddenly get in the mood and read a half dozen or more, then go for months without reading any kind of literature.

I am hearing quite a bit about Gaiman, here and elsewhere. I will have to investigate this author.
 militarymike88
Msg: 80
Good books
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:23:27 PM
I recently got into some awesome non-fiction military books.

House to House-SSG David Bellavia. Awesome look into what things are like in Iraq when it was bad.
The Rescue of River City- Maj Drew Dix (Ret) Medal of Honor recipient. Reading this one is like reading Rambo, the only difference is its true.
Twice Armed- Col Alan King. Easily the most influential book on Middle east culture I have read.
General Patton's Principles: For Life and Leadership-Porter B. Williamson. Offers an amazing look into one of the best military tacticians and leaders of the 20th century.

And any good translation of Sun Tzu's Art of War needs to be on everyone's bookshelf.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 81
Good books
Posted: 8/16/2011 11:37:17 AM
last week I read My Name is Memory by Anne Brashares (author of sisterhood of the traveling pants). I really liked it. I'd say it would be a good read as well for as young as a mature 14 year old (two minor sex scenarios, not overly graphic). The main characters for a lot of the time are college age.
It's a combo of past lives+love story+intrigue and mystery. Can't say much more. I think females would be more interested in it.
 karma1160
Msg: 82
Good books
Posted: 8/16/2011 4:01:33 PM
The shack
Eat, pray and love, the book was much better than the movie.
Probable cause, by Richard Patterson
These lovely bones, again the book was much much more than the movie.
The illustrated man, Ray bradbury
The Profit, Kahil Gibran
any of Lavryle Spencers books, historical love stories, "That Camden Summer".
Abduction by Robin Cook
Henry david Thoreau "Civil Disobedience".
"Love", by Leo Busgalgia
"Your Erroneous Zones", by Wayne Dyer
"The Alchemist", by Paul Coheo
while I did not read the book I saw the movie and the book is on my list:
"Love In The Time of Cholera", by Gabriel Garcia Marquez absoultely changed my mind about love.

ohenryx
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 8/17/2011 8:20:41 AM
If you like the mystery genre, then I can recommend:

Robert B. Parker (Spenser novels)
Lee Childs (Jack Reacher novels)
John Sandford (the "prey" novels)

Steven King referenced Jack Reacher in one of his recent novels, which I thought was interesting.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 84
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 1:19:28 PM
I'm just about through reading The Help. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw a movie trailer and thought hey that looks good, I bet the book would be great.
Such an addicting book, so hard to put down. I just bought it last sunday, and it's the best book buys in a while.
Really recommend it.
 junipermoon
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 1:49:23 PM

I'm just about through reading The Help.

my book club chose this book for the sept. discussion. it has so much more depth and progressive action than the last one we read (little bee, which pretty much sucked). i like when an author can move the plot along. so i'd recommend this one as well.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 2:45:15 PM
If you like twisted and humorous escapist novels. Anything from
Tom Robbins
Carl Hiassen
Bill Fitzhugh
Christopher Moore
Tom Holt
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 87
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 3:23:56 PM

my book club chose this book for the sept. discussion. it has so much more depth and progressive action than the last one we read (little bee, which pretty much sucked). i like when an author can move the plot along. so i'd recommend this one as well.

cool! that will be a really fun book discussion.
 vnufall
Msg: 88
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:09:02 PM
at bearwoman1959. i remember reading tommyknockers almost 23 years ago when i was pregnant with my second son. it was at the end of my pregnancy....i could not stop reading it. the story got crazier and crazier and i could not put it down. now adays i'm a john grisom reader.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:18:20 PM
I gave Tommyknockers to my stepmom on her way out of this world, a decision that I still debate, 3o years later. While it was a wild ride, one has to wonder how much the final images play into the journey beyond. If life is but a dream, what is eternity and the images we fill ourselves with on the way to the exit door? I also gave her pot, which she refused to do..saying "I got enough problems without getting addicted to this shit", as the chemo was killing her not softly. I have come to think after that, that kinder, and more gentle and hopeful images are the best fare for the transition. After the rest of life, when I get time to read, giggles, creativity, and great fantasy are the fairy tales I want to hear on the way outa here.
 junipermoon
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:28:15 PM

If you like twisted and humorous escapist novels. Anything from
Tom Robbins
Carl Hiassen
Bill Fitzhugh
Christopher Moore
Tom Holt

few villains creep me out as much as carl hiassen's. when he creates a vile character, he totally goes overboard! and i love the environmental themes in his work. he's a scream!
 kari135
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/2/2011 9:27:32 PM

If you like the mystery genre, then I can recommend:

Robert B. Parker (Spenser novels)
Lee Childs (Jack Reacher novels)
John Sandford (the "prey" novels)

Steven King referenced Jack Reacher in one of his recent novels, which I thought was interesting.

I'd add Robert Crais, John Gilstrap, Robert K Tanenbaum, and Andrew Vachhs to that list, also some of Elizabeth Lowell's later books, like Death Echo and The Wrong Hostage.

Seems that Tom Cruise has been signed to play Reacher in an upcoming movie. Nothing against Cruise, but I can't imagina a more unlikely Reacher.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 93
Good books
Posted: 1/15/2012 10:56:03 AM

Good books

Everyone Poops
by Taro Gomi

True story but has a crappy ending.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >