Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shawnscmc
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Good booksPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The Shack. I love how it was written.
 ripley65
Msg: 75
Good books
Posted: 2/7/2009 11:42:43 AM
Anything by any of these authors:

John Grisham
James Patterson
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Erica ? (damn her last name escapes me at this moment! lol)
 ~Maenad~
Msg: 76
Good books
Posted: 2/7/2009 2:01:25 PM
My favorites include:

Anything by Dostoevsky...one of the greatest IMO
Henry Miller.. read everything he wrote, liked Nin by association, but didn't find her to be in the same league as Miller.
Margaurite Duras... The Lover was incredible
The Marquis de Sade.. read Juliette if you have an afternoon or a few (!)...it is hard to develop an "ear" for it at first, due to the stilted 1700's style of language, but well worth it! Somewhat "amatuerish" style (as if I am in any postion to criticize) but brilliant--you have to consider the circumstances under which it was written...it forever colored my world.
Anything by Steinbeck: To a God Unknown was "spooky"
Tennessee William's short stories are Great
Doris Lessing
Dickens
T.S Eliot
Bukowski
Sylvia Plath
Baltasar Gracian: The Art of Worldly Wisdom-- an easy, but profound read
Baudelaire: Paris Spleen---you Won't be disappointed!

There are so many more...much of what was posted before, I have to agree with. To read a great book is to slake a deep thirst... Nothing else will do.

I tend to read books in spits and spats. I suddenly get in the mood and read a half dozen or more, then go for months without reading any kind of literature.

I am hearing quite a bit about Gaiman, here and elsewhere. I will have to investigate this author.
 militarymike88
Msg: 80
Good books
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:23:27 PM
I recently got into some awesome non-fiction military books.

House to House-SSG David Bellavia. Awesome look into what things are like in Iraq when it was bad.
The Rescue of River City- Maj Drew Dix (Ret) Medal of Honor recipient. Reading this one is like reading Rambo, the only difference is its true.
Twice Armed- Col Alan King. Easily the most influential book on Middle east culture I have read.
General Patton's Principles: For Life and Leadership-Porter B. Williamson. Offers an amazing look into one of the best military tacticians and leaders of the 20th century.

And any good translation of Sun Tzu's Art of War needs to be on everyone's bookshelf.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 81
Good books
Posted: 8/16/2011 11:37:17 AM
last week I read My Name is Memory by Anne Brashares (author of sisterhood of the traveling pants). I really liked it. I'd say it would be a good read as well for as young as a mature 14 year old (two minor sex scenarios, not overly graphic). The main characters for a lot of the time are college age.
It's a combo of past lives+love story+intrigue and mystery. Can't say much more. I think females would be more interested in it.
 karma1160
Msg: 82
Good books
Posted: 8/16/2011 4:01:33 PM
The shack
Eat, pray and love, the book was much better than the movie.
Probable cause, by Richard Patterson
These lovely bones, again the book was much much more than the movie.
The illustrated man, Ray bradbury
The Profit, Kahil Gibran
any of Lavryle Spencers books, historical love stories, "That Camden Summer".
Abduction by Robin Cook
Henry david Thoreau "Civil Disobedience".
"Love", by Leo Busgalgia
"Your Erroneous Zones", by Wayne Dyer
"The Alchemist", by Paul Coheo
while I did not read the book I saw the movie and the book is on my list:
"Love In The Time of Cholera", by Gabriel Garcia Marquez absoultely changed my mind about love.

ohenryx
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 8/17/2011 8:20:41 AM
If you like the mystery genre, then I can recommend:

Robert B. Parker (Spenser novels)
Lee Childs (Jack Reacher novels)
John Sandford (the "prey" novels)

Steven King referenced Jack Reacher in one of his recent novels, which I thought was interesting.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 84
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 1:19:28 PM
I'm just about through reading The Help. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw a movie trailer and thought hey that looks good, I bet the book would be great.
Such an addicting book, so hard to put down. I just bought it last sunday, and it's the best book buys in a while.
Really recommend it.
 junipermoon
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 1:49:23 PM

I'm just about through reading The Help.

my book club chose this book for the sept. discussion. it has so much more depth and progressive action than the last one we read (little bee, which pretty much sucked). i like when an author can move the plot along. so i'd recommend this one as well.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 2:45:15 PM
If you like twisted and humorous escapist novels. Anything from
Tom Robbins
Carl Hiassen
Bill Fitzhugh
Christopher Moore
Tom Holt
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 87
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 3:23:56 PM

my book club chose this book for the sept. discussion. it has so much more depth and progressive action than the last one we read (little bee, which pretty much sucked). i like when an author can move the plot along. so i'd recommend this one as well.

cool! that will be a really fun book discussion.
 vnufall
Msg: 88
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:09:02 PM
at bearwoman1959. i remember reading tommyknockers almost 23 years ago when i was pregnant with my second son. it was at the end of my pregnancy....i could not stop reading it. the story got crazier and crazier and i could not put it down. now adays i'm a john grisom reader.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:18:20 PM
I gave Tommyknockers to my stepmom on her way out of this world, a decision that I still debate, 3o years later. While it was a wild ride, one has to wonder how much the final images play into the journey beyond. If life is but a dream, what is eternity and the images we fill ourselves with on the way to the exit door? I also gave her pot, which she refused to do..saying "I got enough problems without getting addicted to this shit", as the chemo was killing her not softly. I have come to think after that, that kinder, and more gentle and hopeful images are the best fare for the transition. After the rest of life, when I get time to read, giggles, creativity, and great fantasy are the fairy tales I want to hear on the way outa here.
 junipermoon
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:28:15 PM

If you like twisted and humorous escapist novels. Anything from
Tom Robbins
Carl Hiassen
Bill Fitzhugh
Christopher Moore
Tom Holt

few villains creep me out as much as carl hiassen's. when he creates a vile character, he totally goes overboard! and i love the environmental themes in his work. he's a scream!
 Artful22
Msg: 91
Good books
Posted: 9/2/2011 3:46:51 PM
Aside from many classics, I think Anne Lemont's Bird by Bird is a great book for writers.
In a non fiction mood recently I read Chomsky, Schama and Gladwell. In the summer I tend to read Ruth Rendell, and her Barbara Vine novels or other British suspense. A few years ago Ludlum's Pillars of the Earth surprised me with a book I liked.

I read a lot in my work so at any given time I'm reading all sorts of authors in various genres, many wonderful talents that may never see a bestseller list. I never paid much attention to the "bestsellers" anyway.

A lot of interesting books mentioned on this thread..... I better put up some more bookselves : )
 kari135
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Good books
Posted: 9/2/2011 9:27:32 PM

If you like the mystery genre, then I can recommend:

Robert B. Parker (Spenser novels)
Lee Childs (Jack Reacher novels)
John Sandford (the "prey" novels)

Steven King referenced Jack Reacher in one of his recent novels, which I thought was interesting.

I'd add Robert Crais, John Gilstrap, Robert K Tanenbaum, and Andrew Vachhs to that list, also some of Elizabeth Lowell's later books, like Death Echo and The Wrong Hostage.

Seems that Tom Cruise has been signed to play Reacher in an upcoming movie. Nothing against Cruise, but I can't imagina a more unlikely Reacher.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 93
Good books
Posted: 1/15/2012 10:56:03 AM

Good books

Everyone Poops
by Taro Gomi

True story but has a crappy ending.
 veevee
Msg: 94
Good books
Posted: 1/15/2012 5:26:34 PM
Books... sqeeee!

Time before History rates high for me - Colin Tudge. It's well written and treats the reader like a novice. Even if some of it is theory it's still a great read.
http://www.amazon.com/Time-Before-History-Million-Impact/dp/0684830523/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326677062&sr=1-1

I found something at my grandmother's house when she died called "Foxfire" series. They teach you about living in the wild - she was a mountain woman so now I have a part of that and while sometimes gory they do tell you lots of tips. The versions I have are old.
http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-Dressing-Building-Moonshining/dp/0385073534/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326677009&sr=1-1

I like Guide to Wild Foods and Useful plants - Christopher Nyerges , they talk about edible - medicinal - alternate uses for plants you find. Even have some recipes. Only downside is that the images aren't color in mine.
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Wild-Foods-Useful-Plants/dp/1556523440/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326677235&sr=1-1

A fascinating history of witchcraft, magic, and occultism - WB Crow is a fun book, my version is from the 70's.
http://www.amazon.com/Fascinating-History-Magic-Witchcraft-Occultism/dp/0879801735/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326676412&sr=1-2

In that same style but with more plates I like Witchcraft, Magic, & Alchemy - Grillot de Givry. Mine is the 1971 version.
http://www.amazon.com/Witchcraft-Magic-Alchemy-Dover-Occult/dp/0486224937/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326676849&sr=1-1

Gnomes - such cute illustrations and stories. One of those that you sift through for sleepy time and cheers me up to look at.
http://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-Wil-Huygen/dp/0810909650

The styles of Ornament - Alexander Speltz. This one isn't so much about reading because it mostly has plates but it's more about noticing styles of ornament and how it changes by culture. My version is from 1959 lol
http://www.amazon.com/Styles-ornament-Richard-Phen%C3%A9-Spiers/dp/1172659591/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326676592&sr=1-1

Celtic Art the methods of Construction - George Bain.
This one is a great guide for drawing celtic art. Think I got it on a trip to the Art Museum. You don't read this one as much as stare, then try.
http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Art-Methods-Construction-Instruction/dp/0486229238/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326676722&sr=1-1

The game of god - Hancock, Brugger. It starts off entertaining but ends badly. I still think it was a fun read. It has little cartoons with each page of text.
http://www.amazon.com/Game-God-Recovering-Your-Identity/dp/0963420305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326677602&sr=1-1
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >