Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 15
Do you eat farm salmon?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

I have always found the pinker the fish, the better it tastes...

And also confirms what it is actually eating before being sold. Anybody asking what those penned fish eat????
 bcboy72
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/1/2007 8:50:35 PM

what? am I not allowed now to have a preference as to 'wild' or 'farmed'?

Lol Fluffy...what I was meaning was that those very reasons..pinker, meatier, and fishier taste...would probably propel me to eat that very type..as I eat fish, because I want it to taste like fish...if I wanted it to taste like chicken...well...that is another thread.

*dinner is on the stove*
 vancouver40
Msg: 29
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/1/2007 9:34:28 PM
"White" Chinook which are prized and rare

i guess "rare" might depend on where a person lives and what season they happen to be fishing.
i have no idea what of the numbers of white chinooks are in the rest of the province but i do know they're abundant in the fraser river system. in fact what i've found is that the red chinook are much rarer than the whites in that area. the reds generally come up the fraser and vedder from june to august while the whites are usually in the system during september to november (give or take a month for each). i've found the reds to be a smaller run, as well as a smaller fish, on average ranging around 20-25 lbs, while the whites are more plentiful and have a higher average weight.

the average size of the whites might be what makes them more prized but in my experience they're definitely not more rare than the reds.... i'm not sure what other people's experiences have been as to the rarity of the white chinook..

as a side note, i personally prefer the taste of a red chinook over a white, but i'd willingly eat a sloppy old chum salmon, that has come to the end of it's wild life, before i'd stick a fork into a farmed salmon.
 ÐÎLLÏGÃF™
Msg: 34
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/2/2007 12:15:51 PM
I worked in the fishing industry for a number of years...fishing and in the canner..
I also live in a fishing village....Steveston village..

nope I do not buy or promote Farm raised fishing...
 Walts
Msg: 36
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/2/2007 6:35:34 PM
If it were land/tank based I wouldn't have a problem with it per se

And this is my biggest beef with the whole fish farming industry and the agencies that are in control of it. The DFO is in charge of our fisheries(not saying they do a great job at it either), but they are federal. The provincial goverment has given these business' the right to use our ocean, estuaries, etc for the use of mass producing a food product, because they are in charge of the farming end.Their reasoning is that the tides "flush" out all the "bad" remnants of their farming and there is nothing left behind to worry about. Uh huh Think pig or chicken farms here for a moment and what has to be cleaned out of these buildings daily. NOW, tell me they are not doing any harm to our enviroment and the ecosystem.
And the examples of what hatcheries feed their fish(in tanks, on ground or away from the natural source of their water supply I might add) has very little to do with feeding a two or three old fish in pens situated in a bay of an ocean.Hatcheries RELEASE their fish within a year of hatching back into the natal river systems, so that they can learn to feed, survive, go out to the ocean, grow, and then come back to their rivers. The fish that are being fed in farms are NOT being fed the same PELLETS as those fry in the hatcheries. Farm fish are fed to GROW fast and as cheaply as possible so they can be bonked and sent to the stores. Again, think pig and chicken farms here and how they are fed and kept confined so they don't waste energy, and body mass. They have food thrown in front of them constantly, as are the farmed fish. And every missed pellet goes a floating to the bottem of our OCEAN, not a tank. Therein lies one of my biggest problems.
I'm sure in some period of time we will have found out what these farms are doing to our enviroment, kinda like what we are witnessing with the global warning that all the naysayers said was'nt happening in the last 25 years. I just don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that these farms are just playing with something that we can't fix later on.
Oh, to livinitup, I have personally caught 2 (that would be TWO) atlantics in our BC rivers. Of course, they could NEVER survive in the wild here nor spawn with any of our natives. I could give you some names of a couple Island rivers that people actually witnessed more than one pair of escapees doing their thing on their reds. Who knows if they were succesful??? But they sure were trying.
Our enviroment is going thru enough changes because of humans and their greed. I just think we should really start doing a little more before letting industries and business' keep adding to the fire all because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
 Walts
Msg: 51
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/4/2007 5:32:52 AM

Anybody asking what those penned fish eat????

What do you think they are eating besides fish meal/oils, cereals, canola oil, legumes, corn gluten, poultry meal, soybean protein, krill meal?

Is that all???? Sounds like a mixture for a hotdog product. Thanks for the info Tofinogirl
 Kazoo
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/6/2007 12:13:36 PM
Would you like some nice farmed lice with your salmon? Or wild rice?

There is quite a poignant documentary on the farmed salmon situation in British Columbia by a local producer, entitled 'Alexandra’s Echo'.

A little 'surfing' will bring you to a website where you can leave some comments ... if you'd like.

Mo also has some thoughts on the plight of Mormon women in 'Leaving Bountiful' and her last efforts also drew some attention to this ongoing social blight.

Now if we could just come with a method of dealing with those 'mericans who show up with their portable canning machines, often found being lugged upon the BC Ferry system ... Tyee's used to be bigger ... much bigger.

Fish is supposed to be brain food ... and this thread question is really a 'no-brainer' required unless your paycheque is fish-farm related.

on eating farmed salmon.
 genuine29
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 10/19/2008 7:34:25 PM
myself i eat farmed salmon. i eat wild salmon.
as someone who has worked in the comerchial fisherey and the aquaculture industry i have a very good first hand view of this topic.
to say that any industry leaves no impact would be a blatant lie.
to say that what most of the opponotes of farmed salmon have had to say in this thread is fact would also be a lie.
the biggest opponets here in b.c are the david suzuki foundation ( he was to dissolve his relationship with the orginization because as a scientistis it is detremental to ones validity to be associated with a socalled scintific group that releases unsupported data)
and alexzandrea mortensen. ( her degree is a honarary one, and what little if any credibality she ever had with dfo has long disappeared) [ fyi. how much of a opponet of fish farming was she before her late husband lost his position with a fish farm company? ]
the " fatty" texture people are referring to is omega3 fatty acid deposits which have great health benefits for people.
as for the whole sea lice issue, they go into the water free of lice so is it the farmed spreading it to the wild or viseversa.
aside from being in the industry i also was raised in newfounland and saw the collapse of the fisherey due to overfishing and mis management by dfo.
the same thing is happening here. i have lived i b.c for over 10 years noe and have seen a dramatic fall in the amount and quality of the catch of all pacific species.
if you want some facts look around the net
look on marine harvest canadas website. ( they openly disclose information to the public )
i would not tell anyone what to eat ither way but i will say if people only knew exactley what is in the food they eat, most would have to starve inorder to hold on to their ideals.
p.s halokitty, since you love that yummy candied salmon i thought it wise to let you know it probably wasnt wild. unless it was from what someone smoked themselves.
 Walts
Msg: 65
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 10/20/2008 7:29:39 PM

It is totally environmentally unfriendly.

Not really. Marine aquaculture is just a new technology to the western world and needs improving

Sooooo, I'll ask this question. If the technology is NOT in place yet,,,, do we just assume the COST of improving this technology will include the loss of things that have been around for awhile like the things that used to grow naturally without human help. Kinda like the cost of just doing business????
A brutal arguement I will suggest. There are examples already in this world of HOW fish farming SHOULD be done. Of course it costs some $$$$$ which would of course dip into profit margins. But of course the enviroment, and everything it involves is something we can give away freely,,,,,,we got MILES of shoreline to drop this pens in.

I am no scientist,,,but I don't think there is any SANE argument about having pens in a natural enviroment when it all could be easily done on land without ANY chance of hurting ANYTHING in the water that is there now. We humans seem to be getting dumber and dumber,,,,,but of course for that allllllll mighty $$$$$$.

I still don't eat farmed salmon and it has very little about the taste of it. But it has a lot to do with the taste that is my mouth right now,,,,and I think I will go puke.
 silibus
Msg: 66
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 10/20/2008 7:35:38 PM
No I don't eat farmed salmon. Do you eat farmed halibut? Oh yesw they do farm it. No?It was explained to me that in fact halibut IS also farmed when I inquired about the "wild halibut" label of the fish under the glass. And what else they 'farm' would not be a suprise to me.
I was wondering how someone would go about farming moose though.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 67
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 10/20/2008 7:43:30 PM
One of my best friends was a commercial fisherman as was his father and his father’s father. Note how I said WAS. HE no longer is a fisherman due to extreme mismanagement of the resource he was taught to take his living from (the mismanagement was not the fisherman’s fault...). His licenses were sold on a buy-back program and his boat was worth virtually nothing when he was forced out of the industry. He let me work for him for a season and what an eye opening experience that was... (Gut turning too, but I digress).

I learned a fair bit in my few months on his vessel and I ate a lot of fish. I loved how it tasted as it was as fresh as you could get and I developed a taste for the following:
Spring Salmon, Sockeye, Rock fish(quillback), and Halibut. Wasn't fond of bucketheads (Ling Cod) or chum or Coho, but tried em all.

I learned about lice content, I learned about natural predators, and I learned about gross mismanagement of a wonderful natural resource.

Farmed fish is not something I enjoy and I DO check to ensure the fish I am purchasing is wild. I have tried the farmed and I find it soft and oily in most cases. I understand that it is an industry and one that will remain, but I am with Walts in wondering if maybe it would be less impactfull if it was done in a different way. Dolores seems to know about this, I hope she weighs in and enlightens us.
 benilla
Msg: 70
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 10/22/2008 3:22:14 PM
Its pretty easy to tell one from the other:

Farmed salmon is orange w/ thick fatty lines (VERY common to sushi restaurants)
Wild salmon is much more red in colour w/ VERY thin fatty lines

Not a huge deal to me but if I have the opportunity to have wild salmon, I will always opt for it over farmed.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 80
No I do not eat farmed salmon nor green eggs and ham.
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:45:28 PM
I have heard that farmed salmon is grey in colour and crawling with sea lice. Despite this, I think I have eaten it accidentally when dining out. It is good to ask when ordering salmon if it is farmed or not. Only Sam eats green eggs and ham is yucky . . . not because of the swine flu or anything.
 HORSELADY3
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/11/2009 11:34:27 AM
Yup I just wrangle up me a few salmon after they've been branded.... hahaha I have no idea what kind of salmon I eat it just tastes good with lemon! oh and wild rice though!! yup the rice has to be wild for sure!
 Walts
Msg: 97
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/3/2010 5:19:55 AM
^^^ Tis a shame thou, that by the time it truely all comes to the surface, more than enough cycles have passed us by that the damage has already been done. Once they find out there are less and less wild runs to hurt,,the doors will be opened for more?????? of these nasty toilets on the surface of these BC bays. Disheartning.
 ClassC
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/4/2010 9:49:09 PM
well...our six O'clock news had a little info about the difference between the farmed and the wild salmon(atlantic and pacific strains)...and the farmed ones came out looking like they'd be a poor substitute for the 'wild thing'...humms tune.....
should be on again at eleven!
yup...wild thing....ya make ma heart sing
*I prefer salmon, or any other fish caught well off shore...away from the settling ponds at the mouths of our soooo contaminated rivers' reaches...my sensitivities to the contaminants will tell me if the fish is wild/offshore caught or not within a half hour of eating it. or
 4x4+geek
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/6/2010 4:45:15 PM
Not to hijack a thread, that is veering off-topic but:

a) I try to avoid eating farmed salmon for several reasons.

b) I find at least equally disturbing; that the scientific information, legally obtained by our government, was so long withheld from us because it might inconvenience a corporation that is renting (and damaging) public resources. There are far too many similar incidences. IMHO all government information should, by default, be "Public" (published on the internet) unless specific public application and review by the "Privacy Commissioner."
 mcalgary
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:10:29 PM
Yes, I do eat Farmed Salmon. mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy. Do hope the science improves so the pens can be closed off from the rest of the ocean though.
 mcalgary
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:11:46 PM
must say that I do prefer wild though. Better taste.
 ski-patrol
Msg: 105
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/17/2010 8:52:17 PM
REAL FISH DO NOT EAT PELLETS! I ask & if they serve me the farmed stuff, I know.

Farmed salmon does not have the texture or flavor of the real thing, and in a sushi place, you can tell, just by looking at the meat whether it's wild or not.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >