Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Winter Wren
Msg: 74
Do you eat farm salmon?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
If you are interested, here is a link to some experimental research into Integrated Multi-trophic Aquaculture (familiarly "polyculture" - more than one species). I think is a very promising avenue to explore. They do cultivate one species of finfish (Black Cod), but the rest of the organisms are living essentially off the waste products generated. It's like mimicking a natural marine community. You also get more useable protein per pound of fish feed, and it has less impact on the surrounding environment.
http://www.pacificsea-lab.com/
 Fa que
Msg: 75
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:23:14 AM
living essentially off the waste products generated

Trust the Wren to tell us to eat shit without actually using the words....

OT Never liked farmed salmon myself

VVV
Thanks for the link.. was informative.
Puts a whole new meaning to shitty food.
 Winter Wren
Msg: 76
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:40:27 AM
Without the shit-eaters, my friend, we are doomed as a species.
 Fa que
Msg: 78
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/8/2009 11:00:43 AM
Upon further research...

I should say the shit has hit the fan-base

Check this out.

http://www.canada.com/Technology/story.html?id=1194702
 Winter Wren
Msg: 79
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/8/2009 11:08:10 AM
^^That's an interesting revelation.

@ML

I think it would be less problematic to purposely manage human reproduction
I agree, but how many people do you think will restrain themselves from having kids for ethical reasons?

All we need to do is look at the various products used to grow the critters from food to medications, most of which are present in the meat or plant product and some even in changed to perhaps more toxic form and give some thought to what these chemical do to us.

Good thing we are on top of the food chain and absorb all of it

Yes, and we can use the orcas as an example of the contaminant levels in top predators; their bodies are so contaminated with persistent chemicals, their carcasses are toxic. Somehow we never draw this parallel to humans as top predators (although very high contaminant levels of PCBs are being seen in breast milk in northern women, you don’t hear much about it)

Not only that, but some of our more disgusting and unnatural habits (feeding seal carcasses to pigs) have resulted in the transfer of diseases (San Miguel Sea Lion Virus) that would not occur in nature. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=96925
We are messing with stuff we don’t understand. Pigs are far to close to humans genetically to risk this kind of exposure. Closer to the topic: One constituent in fish feed is poultry meal – since when do fish eat chicken?

We need to start taking a good hard look at our food production and processing systems re: inter-specific disease transfer, genetic modification, listeria, E. coli, etc.

Anyway, I could go on forever about this kind of stuff. I love a “thinking” thread.

~JaneSays~
Msg: 80
No I do not eat farmed salmon nor green eggs and ham.
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:45:28 PM
I have heard that farmed salmon is grey in colour and crawling with sea lice. Despite this, I think I have eaten it accidentally when dining out. It is good to ask when ordering salmon if it is farmed or not. Only Sam eats green eggs and ham is yucky . . . not because of the swine flu or anything.
 Winter Wren
Msg: 82
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 8:02:57 AM

It is good to ask when ordering salmon if it is farmed or not.

Also be sure to ask for the wild chicken, beef, pork.......
I find it funny that people are so selective in their application of environmental outrage or health concerns when it comes to food consumption. Or any other hot button issue where consumers have been hugely misinformed or very successfully false-marketed.

Oddly enough we only learned fairly recently that the arctic environment which until then we considered relatively free of pollution has revealed more toxins present in humans than in many other more obvious places. .......While pollution fallout was obvious we were unaware what had drifted in with the oceanic currents (plankton).

The atmospheric transmission of the persistent organic pollutants from lower latitudes has been coined the "grasshopper effect". I would be interested to know what percentage is transferred via planktonic movement.

Indeed, people who primarily lived off meat and who consumed all edible parts of their prey accumulated the toxins present in higher concentrations due to the one sided source of nourishment.

I don't think it is the nourishment aspect as much as the lipid content, and therefore contaminant-bearing potential, of the food source ie: blubber or other fatty tissue.
 Fa que
Msg: 83
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:08:54 AM
I wonder why nobody has inserted the fact that people are generally living longer these days despite the issues raised above?

Advances in technology have brought on many interesting "side effects" in virtually everything it has touched. Dare I point to the internet?? Many of us now can offer opinions on fields of interest despite having little understanding of the subject matter. Just "google" it and voila you are an expert on almost anything.

I do not profess to understand the true impact of "aquaculture" on species and their environments. I only know that some sampling of farmed fish in comparison to what I ate while fishing "commercially", left me with an opinion that I liked the wild product more. The meat had a different texture and to me, more flavour.

Much is available online, however I think it should be viewed with some skepticism because it is published by those with a heavy interest in the consumers acceptance of the product and how it is produced. I found some pretty big dollars associated with this industry, so you know there is much interest in keeping the industry "afloat"... nuck nuck

We are what we eat; therefore I am currently Peanut Butter and Banana!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 84
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:19:35 AM
I remember a bit more of the 2-hour documentary on orcas I recently watched. I'd already deleted the recording from my PVR. My memory letting me down like this I now wish I hadn't deleted it but needed to make room.

It was produced by Jean Michel Cousteau (son of the famous Jacque Cousteau).

Orcas are considered the top predator in the ocean, and humans the top predator on land (okay perhaps some exclusion of the vegetarians, or vegans), hence the concentration levels of the toxins will be highest in both our species.

Some of the research was on the PCBs and other significantly harmful persistent toxics (PBE's??) and accumulating in orcas and so Cousteau and some of his team and other researchers had their blood analyzed for these toxins. The diets of the people tested varies. Some never ate fish. One woman was vegetarian and so was her son. There were some shocking and discouraging results.

The son had high levels of both toxins. His mom was devastated and close to tears on learning this, having done her best in raising him.

They speculated perhaps he ingested the toxins through breast milk.

We clearly have much to learn how the toxins we produce and release into our environment are distributed across our planet; by atmosphere, water, movement by phytoplankton and zooplankton, prey species, (wild salmon are predators and also are prey for orcas - and humans) etc.; and how they will impact our health, and impact or impair our success in producing healthy offspring.

It would be interesting to compare the levels of these persistent toxins in wild salmon with farm salmon (and hoping for good records of the diet of the farmed fish).
 Winter Wren
Msg: 85
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:26:45 AM

It would be interesting to compare the levels of these persistent toxins in wild salmon with farm salmon (and hoping for good records of the diet of the farmed fish)

It's been done, for PCBs and PBDEs anyway. And reports from "both sides" are available on the internet.
 Winter Wren
Msg: 87
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:44:02 AM

cold water outflow is usually moving away from the polar zones.

But at depth; as colder water sinks and flows away from the polar zones, it needs to be replaced by something, so that must be water from warmer, more southerly regions.....
 Entzauberung
Msg: 89
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:45:58 AM

But at depth; as colder water sinks and flows away from the polar zones, it needs to be replaced by something, so that must be water from warmer, more southerly regions.....

... or more northerly regions from the perspective of the South Pole.

-----------
EDIT ^^^^ Carrie

Does your argument for eating farmed salmon take into account that it takes 2 1/2 pounds of fish to grow 1 pound of farmed salmon. Those 2 1/2 pounds of fish have to come from somewhere, and how long will those other species respond to such harvesting? If history teaches us anything we will decimate those populations too.

It does not make sense to farm salmon.
 Fa que
Msg: 90
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/10/2009 11:36:23 AM
^^^ ah, but ms Fartsalot. Are you not aware of the issues surrounding the production of beans (specifically soy beans) and other products (canola... etc) grown in our lands?

I suggest anyone who is interested in the "big" picture of food production, seek out info on genetically engineered foods. A big player (and destroyer) in this feild is Monsanto. There are some very interesting (and terrifying) documentaries on these Giants of Industry.

I also recommend a film called "Darwins Nightmare" for anyone interested in a global view of what I consider the nightmare we are creating on our planet.
There also is a film on Monsanto called "The World According to Monsanto".
 HORSELADY3
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/11/2009 11:34:27 AM
Yup I just wrangle up me a few salmon after they've been branded.... hahaha I have no idea what kind of salmon I eat it just tastes good with lemon! oh and wild rice though!! yup the rice has to be wild for sure!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 94
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 5/11/2009 11:51:19 AM
Okay, the winter has been long, the pickings along the river bank have been slim, and so this eagle is ready to eat some fish.

The fishie doesn't necessarily have to be a salmon, and a farm fishie might even be preferable to a city fishie. Urban fishies tend to be s0mewhat complicated, darting about to and fro, to hair salons, spas, and shopping for shiny trinkets .

She'd have to be fresh though. Fresh fishie is best for eating!
 Entzauberung
Msg: 95
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/2/2010 5:07:03 PM

Finally!!

Sea lice data to be made public

Mark Hume
Vancouver, BC — Globe and Mail update
Published on Monday, Mar. 01, 2010 6:02PM EST
Last updated on Tuesday, Mar. 02, 2010 4:41PM EST

After a four-year battle an environmental organization has won access to data collected by the British Columbia government on sea lice infestations in salmon farms.

In a ruling released today the Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner of B.C. orders the release of information gathered during fish farm health audits.
The government had refused to release the data to the T. Buck Suzuki Environmental Foundation, saying the information was provided in confidence and disclosure could harm the farms.

But responding to an application made by Ecojustice, the Information & Privacy Commissioner ordered the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands to release the sea lice data.

Mainstream, one of the fish farming companies that objected to the release of the information, argued that if environmental groups “are in possession of information that would suggest or confirm the presence of pathogens and/or sea lice in any quantity, and particularly in significant quantities, it is clear that they would use this information to damage Mainstream's business.”

Mainstream also argued critics could take the information out of context.

But the Information & Privacy Commissioner wasn't convinced by those arguments.

“Were this a basis for withholding records, one could easily envision very little information being disclosed by public bodies which are, in many cases, concerned how information might be used and viewed by members of the public. Possible misuse or distortion of material released under FIPPA [the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act] is not a basis for claiming an exception,” the ruling states.

The government has 30 days to release the data.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/sea-lice-data-to-be-made-public/article1485972/
 Walts
Msg: 97
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/3/2010 5:19:55 AM
^^^ Tis a shame thou, that by the time it truely all comes to the surface, more than enough cycles have passed us by that the damage has already been done. Once they find out there are less and less wild runs to hurt,,the doors will be opened for more?????? of these nasty toilets on the surface of these BC bays. Disheartning.
 ClassC
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/4/2010 9:49:09 PM
well...our six O'clock news had a little info about the difference between the farmed and the wild salmon(atlantic and pacific strains)...and the farmed ones came out looking like they'd be a poor substitute for the 'wild thing'...humms tune.....
should be on again at eleven!
yup...wild thing....ya make ma heart sing
*I prefer salmon, or any other fish caught well off shore...away from the settling ponds at the mouths of our soooo contaminated rivers' reaches...my sensitivities to the contaminants will tell me if the fish is wild/offshore caught or not within a half hour of eating it. or
 Wind Doe
Msg: 99
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/6/2010 4:00:39 PM
What's the difference between farming salmon or farming livestock???

Animals used to run around wild minding their own business until humans figured out how to corral them and eat them. Now if everyone spent as much time worrying about the ethics of animal farming as much as salmon the world might be a happier place for all!
 4x4+geek
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/6/2010 4:45:15 PM
Not to hijack a thread, that is veering off-topic but:

a) I try to avoid eating farmed salmon for several reasons.

b) I find at least equally disturbing; that the scientific information, legally obtained by our government, was so long withheld from us because it might inconvenience a corporation that is renting (and damaging) public resources. There are far too many similar incidences. IMHO all government information should, by default, be "Public" (published on the internet) unless specific public application and review by the "Privacy Commissioner."
 mcalgary
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:10:29 PM
Yes, I do eat Farmed Salmon. mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy. Do hope the science improves so the pens can be closed off from the rest of the ocean though.
 mcalgary
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:11:46 PM
must say that I do prefer wild though. Better taste.
 captain puck
Msg: 104
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:13:55 PM
I eat wild only. Why don't those people grow their fish in their own country?
 ski-patrol
Msg: 105
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/17/2010 8:52:17 PM
REAL FISH DO NOT EAT PELLETS! I ask & if they serve me the farmed stuff, I know.

Farmed salmon does not have the texture or flavor of the real thing, and in a sushi place, you can tell, just by looking at the meat whether it's wild or not.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 107
Do you eat farm salmon?
Posted: 3/19/2010 12:03:38 PM
Lived on the Island for five years... could never tell the difference.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >