Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Does God exist?Page 5 of 245    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Your professor doesn't check his sources properly, at least not on this subject. Argumentum ad verucundiam, and that's assuming your prof has any qualifications relevant to the subject, which is apparently not the case. Darwin's deathbed "confession" is a lie, originated by a woman who was not at his bed to hear it. It was further denied by relatives who were there to witness. It's a 150 year-old creationist myth. The faithful should avoid using science - faith makes for bad science, and good science undermines faith.

FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 9/18/2007 5:21:20 PM
I saw this too late:

which in itself is a definition and limit. au contraire...

Not in this case, although perhaps I should have been more clear. I speak of a scientific, testable definition. Defining God as not-scientifically-testable is not in itself a testable definition. In addition, most concepts of God would cause people to balk at any definition so narrow as to result in scientific support or disproval.

are in fact looking for the definition of god in a very universal sense

Not really, and of questionable relevance. This is a metaphorical usage of the word "god". Such a particle would have very few of the characteristics attributed to a deity. The main reason for use of the word is in the universal presence and relevance, not the inherint or defined qualities. These scientists are generally not seeking God per se, at least not via their research.
 ANEEDA
Msg: 293
Does God exist?
Posted: 9/18/2007 5:36:31 PM
THERE IS DEFINATELY BIGGER ENTITIES IN THIS UNIVERSE THAN JUST
US ON THIS LITTLE PLANET LIKE MAYBE THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE OR
THE SUN OR THE HUMUNGOUS ROCKS THAT ARE OUT THERE.
 bearhands
Msg: 299
Does God exist?
Posted: 9/28/2007 9:45:39 PM
Doesn't exist.
 judyarlinepuckett
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 10/6/2007 10:07:17 AM
God's existence is challeged,
because there are those who want to see God,
or proof of God in a element of matter or material way,
God is more of a spiritual being,
a feeling of oneness for those who take the leap of faith,
believing in things the eye can't see.
When a person is open to God,
His presense in their life will be felt,
in a undenialable feeling.
The moments of power to get through struggles in life,
The moments of courage in the face of fear,
The moments of eternal hope,
These feelings will be found.
Once a person finds the faith to believe in God.
and in the end of the search.
finding God gives peace.
Finding God starts..
with the leap of faith..

denverdaddy
Msg: 312
Does God exist?
Posted: 12/25/2007 12:38:47 AM
proof of god's existence? Look no further than a war veteran....no matter how hard you pray, no matter how just the cause, no matter how moral or virtuous the person....god has never given back a limb.
 Inicia
Msg: 315
Does God exist?
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:17:21 PM
"For that which guides them will give them an illusion of truth[and] will shine on them with a [perishable] beauty and it will imprison them in a dark sweetness and captivate them with fragrant pleasure and it will blind them with insatiable lust and burn their souls and become for them like a stake stuck in their heart which they can never dislodge and like a bit in the mouth it leads them according to its own desire." Nag Hammadi Library (James Robinson 1978, pg 203) however I left out all punctuation... Sounds to me like dogmas be they science, philosophy, or religion. At times there is a stake in my heart I cannot remove and and it drags me along and I follow the beliefs of my convictions with narry a thought of the prison into which I enter or encarcerate others.
 Inicia
Msg: 316
Does God exist?
Posted: 1/1/2008 1:09:16 AM
we don't know many things but if we didn't ask and discuss we would forever remain without knowledge and never discover answers it is human nature to be curious we are the little experimenters and scientists.We want to know. It is our nature. there was a time when we didn't know gravity. does that mean it didn't exist?
 Inicia
Msg: 320
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/13/2009 10:26:14 PM
---------------------------------------------;;;;;;;;;;;!;;;;;;;;;;;;-------------------------------------------
What??? camel jockies?? quite offensive??The Bible???? What does that have to do with God? are you that limited?Don't believe but don't limit it... Please....Deities have been around much longer than the bible... Religion and religious thought have been in existence as long as people have been documenting our physicality on earth with both oral and written traditions.
 aremeself
Msg: 321
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 4:39:14 AM
If there isnt a life after this pathetic existance I going to be really pissed off.
So energy force, god, whatever.
I know that doesnt make it so!
 god_of_rock
Msg: 322
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:02:52 AM
the New York Times said, on Jan. 9, 1966:

"God is Dead"

if the Times says it, it must be true?
 aremeself
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 9:15:46 AM
so life has no meaning, except for what ever changing [ideas], man gives it.
 aremeself
Msg: 326
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 10:12:04 AM
so each person gives life his own meaning [some of us are pretty screwed you know]
 aremeself
Msg: 327
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 10:33:37 AM
sorry dont get it
 aremeself
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 1:31:36 PM
help

us and our cells to complicated to happen by it self.

no paid preachers

dont think I justified traditional religious hog wash.

I have a boarder in my house who has pink elephants or something, I am not on same wave.

I keep getting pigeon holed into traditional religion beliefs

anyway, I dont get it yet but aparently evolution is a fact.

never felt as stupid as I do now.

cheers

heyhd
Msg: 332
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 2:32:00 PM
Yes the Flying Spaghetti Monster is quite real. You've just been slacking on the required intake of Ramen to feel his noodly presence. Quick, hit the closest Walmart.
 JMars
Msg: 334
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 3:43:49 PM
THese threads are always fun ... generally populated as they are by dualists with no resepct for the others pov ... Christians and atheists ... with the Xtians having set out about 2000 years ago, Caesar-like, to prove that their view was right by every means necessary, and the atheists baring a major grudge against them, but also any who even vaguely resemble them .... be they other people of the Book, polytheists, or spiritualists, nom atter the wide variety of different percpetions to be found therein.

My take is that people have in all times and all places had some sense of the existence of a divine force. As there is nothing to suggest that these people, past or present, are as a whole any more or less intelligent, or any more or less successful than their non-believing counterpart, I say there is something to their beliefs and/or their choice to believe.

I might not share in the beliefs of this or that person, and I might find some to be exactly what the atheist thinks all spiritual/religious belief are, but as a general rule of thumb I do not place myself so high above my fellow man as to assume that they, as a result of their beliefs, or lack thereof, are somehow stupid or otherwise infirm of mind.

Some people believe. Some don't. The reason for either are likely to be grounded in individual and/or cultural experience. So, what of it? If you beliee your preference makes you better, that is probably the most certain sign that you're anything but.
 JMars
Msg: 335
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 3:59:57 PM
Oh, to answer the question the thread poses from my own pov ...

I believe that something that we might best call "divine" does indeed exist. I believe that it exists separate from mortal categories of thought and understanding, and that even it cannot FULLY bridge this gulf. It does however find expression, various attempts to get at it, via the inherently inadequettte matrix of our cultures and languages.

So, there might indeed be one God. He might be a she. Or there might be many. Etc., etc.

My own beliefs utilize Modern English and draw muchly from it's preChristian Anglo-Nordic cultural ancesotr and the indigenous beliefs of that culture (Tiw/Tyr, Woden/Odin, Thunor/Thor, etc.) . And this is where I get my fundamental beliefs regarding the nature of divinity from.

But yeah, Science is cool to!! And unbelievers!! So long as they're not elitist snobs. I particularly like female unbeleivers. Not that there is anything wrong with females that share my beliefs. They're just too few and far between. ;)
 aremeself
Msg: 339
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/14/2009 4:44:18 PM
99% of gods are made up by man.

think for yourself.

you all want to do that, dont you?

there is apathy too of course, its there right.

most of the world are apathtic lemmings, no insult they just are.

see lovely woman? came from many nature experiments, sorry no compute.
 Inicia
Msg: 343
Similarity
Posted: 2/15/2009 7:06:27 PM
maybe to god human excrement and life are equal maybe its all crap...and as far as creating a skin cancer orb well we all got to go somehow, death may be equal to life. The whys you ask Dezzy have very simple answers, why would there be no suffereing for humans you act is if suffering is a less valuable aspect to God than joy. I am not proposing that these are the cases or that this is the "truth" I don't belive that I am right and you are wrong but you asked simple questions and I am giving you simple logical answers to your questions. If you want logic there it is. DNa strands are also like computer programs. projecting our ideology of IQ onto a superbeing or even onto any other being or creature is a mistake. We can't say we are more intelligent than dolphins. Dolphins manuever their environment and we manuever ours
 stargazer1000
Msg: 344
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:35:00 PM
There are atheists who believe only in science, there are scientists who believe in a God and there are religious people who believe only in the literal "truth" of their religious book.

The ultimate answer of "Is there a God" is really a matter of faith. If you choose to believe, then more power to you. Ditto to those who don't. But God is presently unquantifiable and, therefore, not proveable. But then, there's quite a lot about this universe we don't understand. Never mind what might lie in universes beyond this one, assuming they exist.

What I would say is that, anyone who makes absolute statements about God existing or not existing is making proclamations of absolutes based on their own needs, rather than anything resembling "objective" truth. Unless they travel the entire universe, peering under every rock, examining every part of it, they cannot say something does or does not exist.

In short, believe what you want. There's every chance you're right and there's every chance you're wrong. However, a lifetime spent searching would likely have the greatest rewards, versus one in which you went nowhere, certain of "the truth."
 aremeself
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/16/2009 1:11:52 AM
I almost took that personally, but I think he trying to make a point
 desertrhino
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/16/2009 12:31:37 PM

Re: "There probably is no God - so relax and enjoy your life" . Why are we constantly exposed to religious advertising? every church I pass..billboards...even on television, religion is promoted..those ads are for the believers..and yet the non believers get stomped on and critisized when attempting to express their feelings. Are the faithful so threatened ..are they afraid that they will somehow be forced to consider the possibility that maybe there is no God? What happened to freedom of expression...again I ask....what are these believers so afraid of?

Yes, I always find it amusing that many people's beliefs are so frail and frangible that the mere discussion of whether any gods exist is enough to send them into apoplectic fits.

I have turned to more than one such person and asked them point-blank why their alleged faith is so weak that my challenging them to show evidence of a god should produce anything more than 1: an explanation of why god exists, or 2: "I know god exists and that's all that's truly important to me."
 aremeself
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/16/2009 9:02:23 PM
you guys [in my opinion] are 100% correct. Most christians are very insecure in there beliefs, mostly because they lap up all the bs instead of trying to find out what the truth is, which would make them secure in there beliefs. And they should also realize it isnt part of the secular world. Most religions, as the secular world has figured, out dont belong period. I think I better quit this.
 Inicia
Msg: 359
Does God exist?
Posted: 2/17/2009 4:06:43 PM
Whether or not we Choose to believe in God doesn't result in the absence or presence of rules, mores and standards. Society and social order will and do create rules regardless of what belief systems we utilize or don't utilize to deterimine social deviance.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >