Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
There has been a lot of unreleased stuff made available by The Doors themselves on their website in the past. I've picked up some mind boggling outtakes and studio chatter that is quite cool to listen to.

One outtake is Peace Frog.... Robby's guitar just leaps out and the recording is crystal clear.

Yup, Perception is totally worth it.

I watched the DVD of Oliver Stone's The Doors last night. I hadn't seen it in awhile. Listening to the commentary by Stone was really facinating. Oliver took a lot of creative license and just made quite a bit up? But unfortunately, one part was true.

The Doors (without Jim) did sell the song "Light my Fire for a commercial that was actually made... and was scheduled to be aired on the Dean Martin Show. When Jim found out, he quickly put an end to it, and the commercial was withdrawn.

Stone said this was a major contention with Ray who insisted it never happened.

Flawed film, but it really pulls you in, listening to Oliver's commentary. I just wish he had put in a little bit more of the real Jim, instead of the raving drunk most of the time?

The Doors turn 40..... may they live on forever in America's memory.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 7/8/2007 3:57:27 PM
The Doors are one band that I listen to less and less as the years go by. I used to be really into them back in my teen years. Now, I don't like them too much anymore. Not sure why.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 9
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 7/8/2007 6:00:52 PM
Never really cared for the Doors.

Now The Who is a different story.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 7/9/2007 2:34:11 PM
Nah, I think Jim Morrison's poetry really does suck.
 DJMac
Msg: 12
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 7/9/2007 2:35:38 PM
When I was younger I used to be a big Doors fan. They have a few deep LP cuts(that arent played to death on radio), that I still like. However I just lost interest and cant get into them anymore. When I was a Doors fan I remember seeing that film and being really dissapointed in it. I had expected better from Oliver Stone. Lastly I never really got the whole Morrison poet thing.
 Raveninns
Msg: 13
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 7/9/2007 6:57:19 PM
I've never really liked the Doors. I always thought Jim Morrison's lyrics were pretentious.

But, was he ever cute!!!! (lol, I am such a twit)

I can't remember the title of the song, but the opening lyrics were, "keep your eye on the road and your hand upon the wheel" Oh, this song IS good....think I'll try to find this CD and play it.

Cheers, Raven
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 16
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 7/27/2007 2:34:19 PM
I like The Doors, but I get soooooo tired of people treating Jim Morrison like he was the Second Coming of Greatness. His myth is larger than the band.

I remember seeing the film when it came out and absolutely hating it. I remember when Ray and Robbie toured with the lead singer of The Cult (can't remember his name right now) back in 2003 (as the Doors 21st Century),and everyone complained that it "wasn't Jim." Well, helllooooo, of COURSE it wasn't Jim! That's what I liked about it. People are so obsessed with the figurehead of Jim Morrison that they tend to forget there were three equally talented members in that band.
 WickedWorld
Msg: 19
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:08:22 AM
Couple of my favorite Doors tunes would have to be:
Peace Frog
Texas Radio and the Big Beat
Alabama Song

Piece of useless Information: If your a fan of the show" Cheers", than you know they show them in the mens bathroom sometimes...If you look close written on the wall is:
Show me the way to the next Whiskey Bar
 DaisyGirlKY
Msg: 20
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:17:11 AM

I remember seeing the film when it came out and absolutely hating it. I remember when Ray and Robbie toured with the lead singer of The Cult (can't remember his name right now) back in 2003 (as the Doors 21st Century),and everyone complained that it "wasn't Jim." Well, helllooooo, of COURSE it wasn't Jim! That's what I liked about it. People are so obsessed with the figurehead of Jim Morrison that they tend to forget there were three equally talented members in that band.

It was Ian Astbury from The Cult. John Densmore wasn't part of D21C either, no one complained about it not being the same w/o the original drummer. Go figure.
 AvidArteest
Msg: 21
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:15:59 PM
Ian Astbury IS a good replacement... he even looks like him when he grows his beard out.

The Doors are very good... I'm going to have to get their whole collection pretty soon.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 28
view profile
History
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 12/19/2008 4:33:52 PM
Next month's Sundance Film Festival will feature a new Doors documentary, "When You're Strange." It will cover the band from their start until the Lizard King's untimely demise and is supposed to contained unreleased footage.
Rhino Records will release the soundtrack this summer.

KikiDKimono
Msg: 33
The Doors turn 40...
Posted: 10/26/2009 8:59:39 PM
The Doors never get old... I stole my dad's copy of the Soft Parade the other day. What a fantastic album.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >