Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 15
Ziploc Omelets - Quick & Easy!Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Sheeesh...some people take the fun out of making eggs.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Ziploc Omelets - Quick & Easy!
Posted: 5/7/2007 2:57:51 PM
Someone had to spoil it, I'll take my chances. Trojans are preoiled, and always on hand.
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/7/2007 3:01:04 PM
"Sheeesh...some people take the fun out of making eggs."

I just read this whole thread... and I was like... COOL! Oooh! Wait... damn that sucks.... OH! Oh. Bad. Damn. That sucks.

All in one thread. About eggs. Seemed like such a good idea too. I was about to give it a try.

Vision45
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/7/2007 3:38:15 PM
wow sounds good, great for camping too.

Not only that but I can grow my own boobs with it and take my profile off of POF to boot, wOOt !!!
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/7/2007 5:21:21 PM
the scout leader comments brought back a few memories from when i was a scout leader...
we were on a weekend jamboree and one other leader...a real geek with ab-so-freakin-lutely no survival skills decided to show the scouts how to cook rice without a pot to boil water in or a fire for cooking...first he took a big cardboard box...cut the top off and made a makeshift pot outta tin foil...i think he lined the inside of the box with tin foil too...then he put rice and water in this pot deal...and sealed the top of the box with a coating of saran wrap...(good thing it was a sunny day)...anyway..after about 2 hours he had an almost edible bowl of rice...i am gonna assume this was an attempt to teach the scouts how to be resourceful...(shoulda brought in McGyver instead)...but i got to thinkin...why is a scout gonna be wandering thru the bush with a big cardboard box...a roll of tin foil...a roll of saran wrap and a box of rice?...the scouts were impressed...i was underwhelmed tho
 JustKelly70
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2007 5:25:36 PM
LMAO. Where would you get a box of rice in the bush, I'm sure he had the best intentions but wtf..lol
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/7/2007 8:27:49 PM
This intrigued me....so I tried it tonite. Works great!

Used a regular cheapo sandwich bag...and added mushrooms and cheese to the eggs. Was too lazy to chop up onions, or break out precooked sausage. I was more interested in seeing if the mushrooms would cook up w/o being sauteed first, and how messy the cheese would be.

Watta killer idea! As advertised...it rolled right out of the bag with absolutely no mess.

Now I'm all set for something different for breakfast when I go on my fishing trips besides having cheetos with a burbon & coke ...and no mess at all!!!!!

Thanks for the teriffic idea hon...
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/8/2007 8:30:36 AM
Well...I'll try it.
What's the worse that will happen? Man boobs?
If they're really nice I may stop looking for a woman!
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/8/2007 9:50:41 AM
my next experiment will be to mix up a baggie, nuke it, and see how that works.
then come memorial day weekend when i go hit the stream for trout fishing,
i will take some prepared ones, toss em in the cooler, cook em at the campsite.

personally i am not going to worry about the plastic issue raised in this forum.
ive come across a pile of frozen stuff packaged in plastic that one can either nuke
or boil of which ive done both and am still alive....

regards,
manboobs
 bcboy72
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 10:14:02 AM
Ok...here is a question...Can the bagged omelettes be frozen prior? Might seem like a silly question..but I have never tried freezing egg..
Was just thinking that it would be a great way to take them backpack camping.

-edit-
My personal favorite for at home with company is baked eggs in crispy cups. Use a large size muffin tray..grease each hole with butter..form a piece of bread into it...crack an egg into it (or 2 depending on size), then top it with whichever you like, or pour premixed eggs and goodies into it...and bake at 350 for about 12-13 minutes...and you have 12 baked eggs with toast and one pan to clean. Add a bit of salsa and cheese on top of those and you have a really tasty treat!

FistnCuffs
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/8/2007 12:16:49 PM
<---------------- also has man boobs...but before you laff too loudly my son has them as well and hes only 23 and skinny as a rake...
now...where was i?...
oh yeah...i dunno bout nuking an egg in a baggie...but have a camera handy...we might see that on AFV or youtube...i think it would blow up realll good...
 JustKelly70
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 5:43:58 PM
I'm not sure but I think if you cooked the omlettes first they would be ok to freeze.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 6:02:54 PM
Hope know one peed in the hottub
 bcboy72
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 7:45:24 PM
4 egg omelet in the deep freezer. Will let you know after breakfast tomorrow. Hopefully I remember...lol..someone mail me tomorrow and ask me how they were!
 bcboy72
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2007 5:56:44 AM
Alright, results are in...

I love it! 4 scrambled eggs, frozen fairly flat(thin), and boiled for about 6-8 minutes, turned out to be a great breakfast! Zero difference in the taste, no consistency problems(mixing of whites and yolks though this could change with duration frozen?) and my breasts haven't grown. Sorry ladies, it doesn't work... Weighing in at 6.4oz sans goodies with the eggs, and frozen flat, you can be sure I will be taking some of these on my next backpacking trip!!

Thinking on making a few for breakfast with onion/tomato, and a couple for snack later in the day with possibly some sausage or pepperoni in them...

While I don't usually pack anything that needs to stay cold on overnight backpack trips, these could very well double as cooler packs if space is limited. And finally, best of all...no broken eggs all over when you get to where you are camping!!
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:44:09 PM
i nuked one the other nite. in 20 seconds the bag started puffing up (1200 watt microwave).
unsealed it to let the gases out....eggs were set enuf so no spillage....then nuked for another
40 seconds. no problem....but one has to watch it anyway...
no plastic melt or taste either. i dont take a microwave camping so its just boil em...
 Moonchild51
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 7:57:12 AM
Well hey? If starving some mornin and looking for a quick, non messy fix? I am all for it!
 rsx11s
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/4/2008 4:24:27 PM
There are different kinds of plastics, some of them leech hormone-like chemicals into food, some don't. Water bottles and baby bottles are ones that do and some towns have banned plastic baby bottles.

Of course you won't have a problem doing it once, but consider what happens to somebody that's been sucking on this shit an entire lifetime. It's more than manboobs you have to worry about.

Hey look, I don't give a shit either way. Some people suck back twinkies and soda and chips, so who cares. I just wanted to point out to people that actually care what they eat that this is not without som degree of hazard.

Prolly more to worry about from the cholesterol in the eggs

Two ways to get around this: 1) naturally by eating lots of salmon, flaxseed and olive oil or 2) just take niacinamide (vitamin B1). It says right on the label "for control of cholesterol" and unlike expnsive and potentially dangerous patent medecines, is just a vitamin you need anyway. Eggs are one of the cheapest and most nutririonally complete foods there is.

Thinking that any one thing you eat affects you is somewhat misguided. I have a friend in France who eats bacon and eggs avery day and has red wine with every meal. His health is stupid perfect and his cholesterol is well under the normal safe limit. It's the total of what you eat not just one component of it.

Bread is bad for you and wine and chocolate are good for you. Who knew?
 rsx11s
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/5/2008 11:40:47 PM
Here's a pretty good overview:

http://greennature.com/article2158.html
 WesternRose
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/6/2008 10:39:17 PM
That is the method used in commercial kitchens.
The BC Ferries cook their scrambled eggs that way....in the baggie. Easy way to control the portions and only make what you need.. Easy clean up too.
 rsx11s
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/7/2008 1:22:58 AM
30 years ago all the hippies believed if you cook in aluminum you'd get Alzheimers. Medical sceience said authotitatively this was absolute bunk and anybody that thought this was a dangerous lunatic.

Today medical science has proved aluminum is a causative factor in Alzheimers and don't recommend cooking in aluminum. Surprise surprise.

The cooking pouches used in commercial kitches are not the same plastic as baggies. They're "safe".

Real restaurants cook scrambled eggs in a stainless or cast iron frypan.

Here's an article from the University of Texas that explains why you shouldn't cook in baggies:

http://www.uthct.edu/fitnessoverforty/episodes/microwavingtidbits/

This doesn't mean baggies are unsafe, they'e fine at room temperatute or colder, but they are not meant to be cooked in unless you think polyvinyl chloride is a member of one of the basic food groups. It's pretty nasty stuff and is the subject of investigations worldwide as a source of allergies in children and certain liver cancers in adults. Vinyl siding and sex toys are made from the is same plastic. The vinyl siding formlation has been changed and people are urged to rip the old suff down.

Just because sombody points this out doesn't mean they eat twinkies. Chocolate, maybe, but unlike twinkies chocolate is good for you.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/2/2009 1:18:09 AM
when were a big group in the morning we make a large scramble(s) with side meats...

everyone knows its army style...feed the troops..

cooking in plastic sounds gross and lazy
 mik1950
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/2/2009 4:56:11 AM
if cooking in plastic sounds gross saggy...dont do it...dont poo poo on others for doing it tho...it sounds simple enough to do omelettes in a ziploc bag...and if it makes whoever is doing it happy...all is good no?
 SAguy_06
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/2/2009 5:37:30 AM
Msg 80~

Im still allowed to express my opinion...just as you are.
 mik1950
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/2/2009 6:59:16 AM
saggy...what works for me generally...is if i see someone posting something and i dont like it...i stay out of that thread...unless of course there is an obvious health concern...of which there isnt really one in cooking an egg in a ziploc bag
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >