Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2findU
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Why do so many people hate Emo?Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
What or who is Emo?
 Heavenlydead
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Why do so many people hate Emo?
Posted: 6/21/2007 9:32:04 AM
yeh it's like when i was younger i allways tried to follow the crowd and by the time i felt comfy in that crowd the new scene would come in!
Now that im MYSELF there is no other people to follow, some people look up to me and i love it! If i wona change i can =]
People can say all the shit they want but i couldnt really care less lol x
 papilao
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2007 3:30:40 PM
yes! who or what is EMO and why is it causing so much trouble on some peopleĀ“s mind
 AndreaCross
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/20/2007 3:27:01 PM
Emo isn't the way you dress, it isnt the way you act, it is a music from the soul, it MAKES you feel things for a reason, thoes of you who say that music isnt supposed to make you FEEL anything needs their head checked because they have been dropped one too many times. Often people hate things they cant understand, or they do and they hate it anyways. We are vengeful people by nature. And it is not just Emo music that makes you feel anything, Country makes you feel things, so does Rock. I have always been comforted by the Emo Rock scene. It isnt telling a kid that its alright to cut or commit suicide it is telling a kid that they arent the only ones going through what they are going through themselves. Like any Genre, it is a something that you can relate too, know that it will be okay (otherwise the singer wouldnt be singing about it) and life will move on.

If you decide to dye your hair purple and black or any other funkdified color you can think of, wear black makeup and get peircings (Like I did and im 23) then automatically you are going to suspect me and everyone I know of being manic depressive, pill popping, razor cutting freaks because you cant understand the deepth of something like a genre of music? I may not LIKE Rap or most hip hop but I understand its value for others how it makes them feel as people.

Emo, Goths, Punks, and all the other so called "freaks" are the best people in the world once you get to know them, they would do anything to help out a friend and they are usually the ones driving up on their last fumes of gas across town to pull out every cd and mp3 they have to comfort a friend after anything bad that has happened. They are great people and I am glad to be a part of them.
 bradscott
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2007 1:32:10 AM
Personally, I know people say bands like My Chemical Romance and Fallout Boy aren't real "emo", but bands like those and the scene kids are what's being hated on by most "emo" haters.

I don't really mind the androgynous look. Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, and Queen did it and rocked, but they also had good music. I grew up with ACDC and Metallica and stuff like that. This "emo" trend is annoying because the actual music is pure crappy pop-rock. I don't care what you call it. I just don't like a lot of the pop rock on radio today: MCR, Hawethorne Heights, Panic! At the Disco, Green Day, Good Charlotte, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Fallout Boy, Three Days Grace, 3 Doors Down, Default, Blink 182....all suck.

The "emo" or "scene kid" trend kind of takes the looks and style from punk and goth cultures somewhat and replaces the music with shitty pop. If you like it, fine, but I feel personally, that many of these bands are for kids who want to be "punk" but can't tolerate heavier music than Britney Spears.

Believe me. I'm no musical elitist. I mean I know some groups I like people say suck, but rock is meant to...i dont know...freaking rock.

I dont care what people like. I just hate how pop-rock with annoying vocals is such a damn trend.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2007 10:46:46 PM
i love emo! he's one of the my favourite comedians!
 AndreaCross
Msg: 126
Posted: 9/30/2007 12:54:45 AM
yes I can, you are comparing acts of nature, life, and food to music..... forgive my young ignorance but I don't get where a vegetable as great as brocolli came into the picture or rain... I was speaking solely on the fact that Emo music is supposed to make you feel things like any other genre of music and that is where the misunderstanding is.

People think that Emo music TEACHES children to cut their wrists... I can just here mr. and mrs. average american sitting there in therapy saying "I just don't know where little suzie and little johnny learned to cut themselves." I can tell you where they learned... from peers.. and I am not talking about their friends.. I am talking about people who are their age, if their parents aren't the ones teaching them by example then their peers are. There is also the wonderful world of the web... any savvy seven year old can type up something on cutting innocently and end up with thousands of pictures of slit wrists and throats.

What it comes down to is the kids and teens that are emo that are trying to kill themselves need help, it is not the music itself that makes someone want to cut their wrists... (actually rap makes me want to put a hole in my head but that is besides the point) But the fact that they are depressed as a person and need help, it is a parents job to pay attention to their children.

SO INSTEAD OF BLAMING THE MUSIC BLAME THE PARENTS WHO DON'T PAY ANY FREEEKING ATTENTION TO THEIR SPAWN!!!!!!
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2007 5:52:47 PM
I don't get it

I'm old school goth/punk/metalhead...

Is an emo like a chickensh*t punk? What EXACTLY is it?

Maybe I should just get some and listen to it...no wait..can I find it on itunes radio?
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2007 5:58:28 PM
Spacedog was going to send me some!

Emo, I think...

I can't hate it because I don't know what it is.

I still hate jocks though, some things you never grow out of *sigh*
Posted: 10/3/2007 1:17:57 PM
emo isnt so bad, its just this preachy "you guys feel nothing - only we do" attitude that people who are "emo" constantly imply.

if I didnt feel something from the music I like, I wouldnt ever have botherd with it in the first place.

just cause you sing about being deep, and having a frozen heart, and things that are black and doesnt mean your any good to listen to.

I need music that makes me feel something.
from the moment tori amos hits that high in "precious things", to the crazy guitars of metallicas "ride the lightning". I have a million songs that make me feel something, anything from regret to wanting to snowboard down a mountain at mach 10.
even AFI's own "Love Like Winter", or "Miss Murder" are great songs.

its not the music people tend to hate, its the annoying fact that people who tend to think they are emo, always seem to want to imply no one in the world feels anything besides them.

to which the rest of the world just naturally rebels and wants to flip a big middle finger to the whole thing.

most of us, dont need some image, or form of music, to feel something.
 Xavery
Msg: 134
Posted: 10/4/2007 9:55:25 PM
I don't hate Emos. In fact, I am a little bit of an Emo myself, but I prefer to keep that side of me hidden. I think Emos tend to be a bit negative and people tend to like happy people.
Posted: 10/11/2007 2:20:40 PM
Easily the best Emo Parody I seen so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2008 9:26:40 PM
If I knew what it was I might actually hate it

LOL

I'm a headbanger/metalhead/goth/punk (if I HAD to pick a label lol)
Don't have much time for whining, is it about whining? I just don't really know. I don't think I've ever met an Emo.. are those the skinny kids who sort of look punk and have long bangs, and are mopey?

I'm confused
 RSwindol
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 3:36:27 AM
10 reasons I hate Emo:

1. Whiny singers
2. The fans
3. Unoriginal subject matter
4. The whiny fans
5. Unoriginal guitar riffs
6. The "I have always been and will always be a victim" fans
7. The cutting (what's up with that?)
8. The "It took me 45 minutes to make my hair look like I just got out of bed" fans
9. Fake accents
10. The "If I can't shop at Urban Outfitters than I would rather go naked" fans

...any questions?

As I understand it, "emo" stands for "emotional," and that means that we're all emo, doesn't it?

Yes, technically it does mean "Emotional". But a more accurate definition could be "Overly Emotional". Yes, as a human being, I am emotional. But not half as emotional as Emo kids.

It's truly the attitude that people hate, not the people, or the music.

I disagree. While it is true, I do dislike the attitude, I am also thoroughly annoyed by the people and the music itself.
 RSwindol
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 4:26:33 AM

Why are chicks so attracted to piercings and tattoos all of a sudden?

I may be wrong, but I think there were tattoo loving "chicks" out there long before Emo came around.

But to answer your question as to why a girl would be so attracted to piercing and tattoos which are obviously only physical attributes and have little to do with who the person really is, I could simply point out that some girls like buff guys who wear hats backward. Of course this is also only external and has little to do with someone's inner self, but then again, I feel that you may be able to grasp this concept.
 Wolfblood
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 3:42:49 PM
Emo died in the 90's with Rites of Spring!

Why the hell do people think the kids right now are Emo!
 RSwindol
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 6:13:53 PM

Emo died in the 90's with Rites of Spring!

Why the hell do people think the kids right now are Emo!

Emo didn't die in the 90's any more that hippies died in the 60's.

ok ..must be im isolated... WTF is EMO???

Read the last 180 posts and you may find out. Or you could just learn to use Google.
 hudson hutch
Msg: 159
Posted: 4/19/2008 7:50:16 AM
simply man.. emo's are to f***king depressing.. they dresses weird.. like they suppose to set a fashion statement..
i see it as.. freaking retards crying for attention.. and what do you know.. the fact that im talking about them.. they already win. arrrrr
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2008 6:22:06 PM
I hate emo because I can't stand to hear spoiled brats whining about how terrible their lives are while making ten thousand bucks a night playing three chords. Boo hoo f**ckers.

And the Minor Threat Ian MacKaye would've kicked the Embrace/Fugazi Ian MacKaye's as* back in 1983.
 gregorywb
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2008 12:56:38 PM
I generally dislike anyone who plays a victim all the time... which is pretty much the distinguishing feature of emo music
 txmary18
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:12:38 AM
wtf? emo aint about whining its bout music and being diferent not all of them cry and cutt bah
 usrnamesuk
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 3:55:18 PM
I always find these kind of questions interesting. Why do people hate country, or hip hop, or metal, or classical. Because people "hate" lol.

We love to judge, give our opinions, and try and prove that our point of view is "better" than everyone else's. Its just human nature. Everyone does it from time to time, its unavoidable.

But like the post above asks, "Just want to know why people hate a genre they don't understand". You answered your own question. We "hate" what we don't understand. Granted we do hate somethings we do understand, or presume to understand, but most of the time we see something and go "WTF...man i hate that."
I for one grew up in the nu-metal era. Korn, Deftones,Limp Bizkit, Staind and a host of other bands. Music doesn't get much winier than that(well not deftones)...but if your screaming to the point that hairs' rise on the back of your neck, well thats pretty bad ass...or so we thought. But todays "emo" is more of the pop variety. Heaven forbid we get guys who can actually sing(regardless if its falsetto or not lol). Sure the optics of skinny jean, eyeliner wearing, long bangs falsetto sings kids does seem a little wimpy...but does anyone remember a little thing called hair metal. You know great manly bands like Twisted Sister. Now that was makeup and eye liner. I'm not saying....i'm just saying...

At any rate...the world would be a better place if we stopped being so damned ignorant before we start judging everything...Have an opinion but be mature and respectful of the fact is is just that - an opinion.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 5:37:37 AM
Songwriters & singers have been complaining how terrible their lives have been for years through song. Some are better at it then others. They just added a label to it.

jmim
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:37:16 PM
Emo seems like Goth's winy little brother to me.
If you don't like the way people judge you for being emo,
well, don't be emo.

Or at least, don't dress emo. And don't tell people you like that music.
 aRandomHero
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2010 11:10:52 AM
metal heads=scene kids
Punks=scene kids
Emo's=scene kids

Every Genre of music has a scene to it. Emo just Popularized the term. Most people concentrate on the singer of "emo" bands when they should be listening to everything else. Their is a lot of good musicians in "emo bands" that are over looked.

Also, the whole emo trend isnt about cutting yourself,lol. Thats just a typical stereotype from people who dont like the music or look. Its like an emo kid looking at a metal head and saying "that whole scene is just about devil worship and fighting".

Emo=Emotional. Theres really no arguing it, like it or not, thats where the term came from. These "cry babies" entered the music market and gave the general masses what they wanted. Thats just good business.

As for hair styles on emo kids, a mullet on a metal head isnt much better. Same goes for a 3 foot moe hawk on a punker. Every genre of music has its image, sound and stereotypes attached to it. People need to stop getting to angry about things they dont like and just accept them as a reality instead of flaming and bashing everyone that doesnt look like them.

Its music, your supposed to enjoy it.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >