Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SlimJ82
Msg: 56
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Not really, some can write concise profiles and those are the smart ones. Some can write long profiles that don't seem to make sense, and that doesn't mean the person is smart of has a high IQ.
 typingsux
Msg: 57
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?
Posted: 6/27/2007 12:03:28 PM
"Positive correlation" is kinda redundant, don't you think?
 subhacker
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 12:27:38 PM

Not really. A negative correlation would say that a longer profile correlates to lower intelligence.
 Eric48
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:37:00 PM

# of Murders and # of ice-cream sales - strong positive correlation - Ice cream causes people to commit murder! The temperature is also +correlated with ice-cream and murder.

Eternelle;
I hope it's not vanilla chocolate chip ...

cause nilla chocie chip is my fave
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/28/2007 12:09:15 AM

Only a person with a short profile would think so!
 a_bit_gay
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/28/2007 11:07:41 AM
ever hearthe (Mark Twain, I believe) observation?

I wrote you a long letter, if I had more time I would have written a shorter (more concise) one?
 SteveCC
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/28/2007 12:24:57 PM
excellent observasion.
 veevee
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/30/2007 7:33:43 PM
You are taking some things for granted
1. They wrote their own profile
2. They are being honest
3. They are being open

1 - This is the person that quotes some long set of information that they think utterly portrays them as a person - a song or redneck quotes seem to be the average here.

2. Anyone could fabricate some persona that made them feel secure enough to communicate through. To play the role, they may make up stories related to the fantasy they are indulging in which will extend the length of text.

3. Longer profiles you get to see more about them if they aren't of the 1. type. They may hint or blatantly display their likes and dislikes. These are the most interesting to read.

Short ones are ok I guess but the ones that say Ask me if you want to know something seem like general laziness and a lack of thought. Do you really have to be prodded to talk about your general life? Do you participate in so little of life that you can't think of one thing to put under "Interests"? Should millions of people really be mailing you daily just to find out who you are when you could save us all the effort by starting to explain yourself in the space alloted to you? That part rings of arrogance to me, I'm going to just stand here and you will be so entranced by mu username that you will ask me questions because I can't gather the words that begin to describe myself.

Whether they are intelligent or not, I prefer the long-winded portrayals more than the "Just ask" because I believe I "Just asked" by clicking your link.

Limestone_Lady
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/4/2007 11:03:11 AM
Hum, not sure if it reflects my IQ or not, but many folk send me a message saying my profile is one of the more pleasurable profiles to read.

Then the inevitable "Do you have a friend just like you?"

Personally, I am irritated by profiles that go on to infinity.
 8ballchamp
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/5/2007 10:46:23 PM
There is no correlation between IQ and profile length!

There is however a study done by a group of researchers about 10 years ago. They observed an equal number of men and women, all of them with average IQ's in social settings set up by the study group. The researchers kept count of how many words men an woman used to communicate. The woman spoke 2.5 to 3 times the number of words that the men spoke during an equal time period.

That right folks, woman are socialized at an early age to be friendly, engaging, communicative and supportive of one another.

Men on the other hand are just socialized to be competitive and independent.

Dr. Dave
 Intimacy
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/7/2007 7:36:55 PM
The strength of the intelect is equivalent to the scope of the material and content of any given profile.

Simple minds tend to articulate simple things about themselves so as to attract simple people of like minds....whereas powerful intellects tend to articulate powerfully and deeply so as to attract intelligent people of like minds...

And to say that lengthy articulation can be reduced simply as a matter of editing is absurd... for example, a discussion on the physics relative to the guesstimated molecules in two swallows of water, is equivalent to 6x10 to the 23rd power. What is 6X10 to the 23rd power? If you had a computer that could make 10 million computations a second, it would take that computer 2 billion years to compute it...

How can what I just wrote be articulated any easier and its syntax remain the same.....You may seek to change or alter a word, but to edit it by half is not possible...
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/12/2007 12:39:58 PM
My profiles tend to be rather long-winded. But I think that's more because I'm a windbag more than anything else.

Really I think there is no correlation between length and intelligence. I write long-winded profiles (and everything else) because I find it difficult to describe myself or my ideas fully in only a few words - and I have this foolish notion that by adding more words I can become more clear (yeah right).

I think most long profiles are people like me who have nothing to say and use every word imaginable to say it. There are, however, a few good long profiles from people who DO have something to say, and those are often an enjoyable read.

What I look for to assertain intelligence from a profile is proper grammar, spelling, and decent vocabulary. Literary references and obscure movie quotes can help as well.

But who wants JUST intelligence? Some days I'd rather play catch and tickle with a teddy bear than jeopardy with iq/profile correlations.
 Its not ur fault
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2007 6:22:26 PM
ouch- or maybe burn
 saintgasoline
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/12/2007 7:46:07 PM
I do believe such a correlation would be found, if investigated.

I also believe, unfortunately, that a correlation between having a high IQ and having enough free time on weekends to write lengthy profiles instead of getting laid is also going to be painfully present.

I mean, just look at me!

Another correlation: people who post in these forums correlate with low IQ. Seriously. Ever read some of the stuff in the science section?
 saintgasoline
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/29/2007 9:42:33 PM
Lilnursemama--

"OP" is an abbreviation for "original poster", referring to the person who started the discussion.

It is also, apparently, an indication of lower IQ, as the abbreviation is shorter than writing out the whole word.
 chrono1985
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/30/2007 7:44:12 AM
I don't think it's related. My IQ is above 140, what most would consider really smart, and most people describe me as very smart and clever. But I have written some monster sized profiles multiple times, not really due to intelligence, but more to a personality flaw, I have a tenancy to ramble on about something, and the urge to point out every last small detail. The flaw is more of a boon when I'm working on stories though, makes it easy to fill out chapters that are way to short.
 yna6
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/1/2007 5:09:09 PM
I somehow doubt the validity of the idea of "higher IQ, longer profile". Some people are just more "opinionated" or want ot try and make it clear as to exactly what they are looking for, or like being long-winded, or show off their poetic talents in public, etc, etc. Has nothing to do with higher IQ. More to do with the attitude that they have a high opinon of themselves. Nothing wrong with a good healhy self-interst being built in, but when it comes to pure self motivation in most aspects of life, we call that selfishness, and being self centered.

Try comparing self-centeredness to length of profile...bet you WILL find a corralation with that!
 hughbaugher
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/1/2007 8:08:20 PM
OP
I know a lot of dumb asses that can rattle on and on. I also know some real smart people that are quiet.
So your question indicates you do not know very many people or you do not get to know people who do not fit your ideals. Or the question indicates that you do not understand your friend, acquaintances, and family well enough to see who has a high IQ and who has a lower one. You lack a well rounded life and you lack experience.
It is better for people to think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
 inventor66
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/3/2007 3:40:55 PM

there's a lot of stupid people with Hi IQs

I am one of them. My IQ is 150, the lowest level of "genius", and you would not believe some of the God-awful idiotically stupid things I have done in my life. Life-threatening mistakes like throwing a 12 pound shot-put straight up in the air and missing my head by an inch in high school, or walking out in front of a fast moving car in college. I made every relationship mistake you possibly can just about, and career mistakes, sheesh! I was a walking Dilbert cartoon in my corporate life. I'm the smartest dummy you ever met, and I know one thing for sure: I am woefully ignorant when it comes to attracting women. Now go check my profile length.
 Deceased~
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/6/2007 2:20:12 PM

Does anyone think that a positive correlation exists between a person's IQ and the length of their profile?

I don't think so. IQ is a testable quantity and does not change over one's lifetime no matter what you may or may not write. If there were any correlation it would be a negative one. Dumber people may write a longer profile in an attempt to appear smarter. Pseudo-intellectuals love to do that it seems.

Smarter people know it is a "profile" in the literal sense and therefore is not meant to be a place to describe themselves to any great extent. That is what the forums are for as I see it.
 SilentWitness
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:51:13 PM
I think not...if the essence of who we are lay in the space between our words...then it is of no importance what our stories tell...we must stop egoic identification...when we stop to observe the mechanics of mind...the still observing presence itself behind the content of your mind, the silent watcher has very little to say yet very profound is the message....
 Deceased~
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/7/2007 8:30:12 PM

stop egoic identification...when we stop to observe the mechanics of mind...the still observing presence itself behind the content of your mind, the silent watcher has very little to say yet very profound is the message

And there we have the perfect example of pseudo-intellectualism. It sounds great, doesn't it? It sounds like there is some esoteric meaning that because we mere ordinary people can't fathom the secrets of it, we must be not nearly so smart.

BS! There is not even such a word as "egoic" and making up words is the first mark of the pseudo- intellectual.
 SilentWitness
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:49:32 PM
Pseudo-intellectualism...word of the day...it is not very hard to understand...what are the benefits to all your intelligence...at the end of the day you may be smart but are you happy...? If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that detemines the furture, then what is it that derrmines the quality of your consciousness.? Your degree of presence. So the only place where true change can occur and where the past can be dissolved is the Now....All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry-all forms of fear are caused by too much future, and not tenough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nnonforgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence..And yet the this s the liverated state to which all spiritual teachings point. It is the promise of salvation, not in an illusory future but right here and now....sadly your reaction is ego....prime example of having to say here I am, see how smart I am...forgive him, for he knows not who he is...
 Lucretius
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:50:20 PM
Funky Zeit mit Bruno says; "That's a nich nich, The trendy thing to have now is a high E.Q & fashion Q not I.Q. Where have you been you silly boy ? " and Ali-G says; " Allow me to heducate you about your mizunda standin. Da magazine is called G.Q not I.Q . "
 Masturbating Girl
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/15/2007 8:12:41 PM
Many factors influence how long your profile will be but I do not think that one's IQ has anything to do with it
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >