Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Friendlione
Msg: 100
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I would argue that IF anything, this correlation would be negative. Others have already posted this I know. Seems to me that the smart person is the person that realizes people don't read the entire profile anyway, and is intelligent enough to make a pofile succinct and to the point rather than long and drawn out.
 Merrylass
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?
Posted: 7/7/2008 7:08:57 PM
I find it hilarious that people are hoping to find lifetime partners but can't manage a few moments to read a profile in the process.

I want to read a profile that tells me something about the person. I'm sick of two-line profiles with the same interests, self-descriptions, etc. Everybody likes to walk on the beach and go hiking and has a good sense of humour, etc etc. I want to see someone's character in his profile. I want to see if someone can express himself coherently. Wit is a bonus.

I figure if someone can't devote a little time to crafting a profile that shows he can think then he probably can't be bothered thinking - in other words, he's booooooooring.
 Friendlione
Msg: 102
Posted: 7/7/2008 8:29:49 PM

I want to read a profile that tells me something about the person. I'm sick of two-line profiles with the same interests, self-descriptions, etc. Everybody likes to walk on the beach and go hiking and has a good sense of humour, etc etc. I want to see someone's character in his profile. I want to see if someone can express himself coherently. Wit is a bonus.

So true. Most profiles are cookie cutters. You get more attention by writing a profile (long or short) that praises some while simultaneously insulting others. It tells people more about who you are. A lot of times people don't like taking this risk though so they put blanet statemtns that everyone will like. I have been guilty of it in the past as well I must admit.
 ghostwalker3952
Msg: 103
Posted: 7/8/2008 6:43:36 AM
IQ denotes ones "ability to reason".

There is nothing to "reason" in describing ones self or desires.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:10:13 AM
What, so now we're supposed to actually think when we write our profiles???

awww geez...
 printer2
Msg: 105
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:52:34 AM
You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Am I helping or not?
 Merrylass
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 1:34:33 PM

No, don't be silly, there couldn't be a positive correlation. It's the opposite, since being able to express yourself in fewer words requires intelligence. Therefore, the people who's profile say:

"hi not sure what to rite ask me if u want 2 no anything!!!"

are quite likely some of the greatest minds ever to have lived, thereby disproving this ridiculous theory outright.

Is there an emoticon for 'spat tea on screen'?
 NoseyNeighbor
Msg: 107
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:01:58 PM
Does anyone think that a positive correlation exists between a person's IQ and the length of their profile? (in general) i.e. a trend for those with higher IQs to write longer profiles. This question is being posted here because IQ and correlation relate to Psychology, which is studied scientifically. If a psychology forum existed this question would be posted there.

Most excellent question, OP. The are three possible outcomes:
1. A significant relationship exists p is less that 0.05.
2. A non-significant relationship p is greater than 0.05.
3. There are moderators and/or mediators that effect a significant or non-significant relationship. Either could easily flip the results.

First, one would have to define a proxy variable which defines length. If the proxy is dichotomous (long, short) then the bi-variate correlation becomes a point-biserial which would underestimate the correlation.

Second, one would have to have a measure of IQ such as Stanford-Binet or Adult Weschler. A weaker method could be level of education, verbal fluency.

Third, you would need a sample size of at least 50 based on power analysis. Could also run a pilot study using ANOVA. That is, a means test (average IQ, short vs. long).

If there is a significant correlation, one would need to determine if the results were spurious. So you would need to run 2 sets of variables (mediators and moderators).

This would entail multiple regression/correlation using two sets of variables such as:
1. Mediators: Verbal Fluency, Level of Education, Social Perception, etc.
2. Moderators: Age, Gender, Race, etc.

Finally, correlation does not necessarily mean causality. You would need to run higher power tests to further validate. Such as path analysis or confirmatory analysis.
 UR 2 girls away from 3sum
Msg: 108
 playfulnsweet
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:06:44 PM
Hey dimples too- I cant really say if theres a correleation between IQ & Profile Length. I know that mine is too long I also know that most women talk alot more then men so theirs might be longer. As for me, I like Learning as much as I can about a person from their profile. I know, its awkward writing them I'm curious by nature, so the more info the better. We're all learning about others in one way or another. Great Topic
 stargazer1000
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/13/2008 8:00:54 PM
A smart person talks. A wise person listens.
 transcend
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 9:20:56 PM
whats in my profile is there for a reason
if someone chooses not to read because it offends them
fine
If it seems like more than their attention span can handle
fine
If my pics aren't hot enough or my credit rating high enough
fine
But i would rather someone not even contact me if its obvious
and i try to make it obvious, that we may operate on different wave lengths

Not that either is better .. just different

Im already fighting ridiculous odds against compatibility
(If you think the Briggs adherents are on to something)
so why cause anyone not aware and inspired to even bother

profile length is all about info , it says nothing about how succinct i can be
or an attempt to impress.. thats baby sh1t
if you don't need all the info ..move on
 Man of his [many] words
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:33:39 PM
Interesting to contemplate, but I would think it shows more in the way of motivation, self confidence, literacy skills and length of time on POF than mere intelligence..

Interestingly, higher IQ (more than 100) is positively correlated with self-motivation, self-confidence and literacy skills. Perhaps the length of time on PoF nullifies the indications of these indicators. I wouldn't know, either by experience or by observation; I just joined half a minute ago.
 TheLimey
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:57:42 PM
It's quite possible that people who post long profiles don't make a lick of sense, leading them to write reams of nonsense showing all & sundry that they have nothing intelligent to say (there's more than a few of those on here)

... & those with shorter profiles are smart enough to know when to STFU..
 natural energy
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 7:20:47 PM
TheLImey,
and using "WTF" and "STFU" is considered intelligent?
... interesting view of intelligence!
 itscool
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:01:47 PM
I use peer reviewed sources and cite them in APA format in my profile just so people will think I have a high IQ.
 Is too hot
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:57:10 PM
Umm...excuse me as I add "War and Peace" in its entirety to my profile.
 TheLimey
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:00:10 PM

TheLImey,
and using "WTF" and "STFU" is considered intelligent?
... interesting view of intelligence!

Did I hit a nerve? The first three words of my previous post are "It's quite possible". Did you have a bit of difficulty with that part?
 natural energy
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:32:49 PM
TheLimey,

No nerve hit. I don't get your humour.... must be my lack of IQ ... WTF and STFU is just not in my vocabulary ... it must be my lack of IQ!

... and "It's quite possible" didn't phase me at all!

... to be quite honest, I am disgusted with vulgarity.
IMHO ...... vulgarity does not equate to intelligence ..... even though there are multiple intelligences.
 chazster
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:38:18 PM
How can you think this? Have you done IQ test on people in the forums and then see how long those peoples posts are? I think not.
 goozer
Msg: 121
Posted: 7/14/2008 10:34:33 PM
Dig it! If you have enough confidence in yourself, and what you have written and gone through it, does it really determine how smart you are? Oh sorry, your "I.Q."

From my point of view it takes a much more intelligent individual to undrstand where a person is coming from. How can you judge a persons I.Q. with out conversing on a personal level? Simple! You can't! You have to "HEAR" them first! Then make the determination on their level of cognizance.

Then again it depends on the normal age group that your trying grade!
 ~Serendipity
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/16/2008 4:26:32 PM
That should depend on the content of the profile.

Certain windbags rambles much but says virtually nothing meaningful. Other, more insightful people can say little, but reveals much. Well rounded, thoughtful individuals are reflected on their profiles. Well written profiles have more to do with the author's wisdom and character than with IQ, IMO. It takes a combination of life experiences and reflection, though inherent intelligence may help on the insight you ultimately develop.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 4:23:27 PM

Actually, the high IQ's could have a very short profile...but we cater to some extent to the limitations of communicating to the rest of the lot...

...I always run out of room in these things. I know the text limit of every profile text field there is. And it still doesn't help. So I end up trying efficiency and eloquence over quanity anyway.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:25:24 PM
Let's see. A high IQ would indicate a predominant Ego. The Id and Super Ego would be heavily suppressed. Low on passion. High on empirical evidence. Low on indecisiveness. I think someone with an abnormally high IQ would say "Last time I checked I was sane. Check me out" thinking it obvious that readers would intuit a rising suns worth of information. After awhile of scratching they're heads wondering why no one would date them, they invert and create multi page histories of why they are eminently dateable :)
 billingsmason
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/23/2013 9:00:39 PM
.... and besides, they let anyone into Mensa.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >