Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Is too hot
Msg: 117
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Umm...excuse me as I add "War and Peace" in its entirety to my profile.
 TheLimey
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:00:10 PM

TheLImey,
and using "WTF" and "STFU" is considered intelligent?
... interesting view of intelligence!

Did I hit a nerve? The first three words of my previous post are "It's quite possible". Did you have a bit of difficulty with that part?
 natural energy
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:32:49 PM
TheLimey,

No nerve hit. I don't get your humour.... must be my lack of IQ ... WTF and STFU is just not in my vocabulary ... it must be my lack of IQ!

... and "It's quite possible" didn't phase me at all!

... to be quite honest, I am disgusted with vulgarity.
IMHO ...... vulgarity does not equate to intelligence ..... even though there are multiple intelligences.
 chazster
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:38:18 PM
How can you think this? Have you done IQ test on people in the forums and then see how long those peoples posts are? I think not.
 ~Serendipity
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/16/2008 4:26:32 PM
That should depend on the content of the profile.

Certain windbags rambles much but says virtually nothing meaningful. Other, more insightful people can say little, but reveals much. Well rounded, thoughtful individuals are reflected on their profiles. Well written profiles have more to do with the author's wisdom and character than with IQ, IMO. It takes a combination of life experiences and reflection, though inherent intelligence may help on the insight you ultimately develop.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 4:23:27 PM

Actually, the high IQ's could have a very short profile...but we cater to some extent to the limitations of communicating to the rest of the lot...

...I always run out of room in these things. I know the text limit of every profile text field there is. And it still doesn't help. So I end up trying efficiency and eloquence over quanity anyway.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:25:24 PM
Let's see. A high IQ would indicate a predominant Ego. The Id and Super Ego would be heavily suppressed. Low on passion. High on empirical evidence. Low on indecisiveness. I think someone with an abnormally high IQ would say "Last time I checked I was sane. Check me out" thinking it obvious that readers would intuit a rising suns worth of information. After awhile of scratching they're heads wondering why no one would date them, they invert and create multi page histories of why they are eminently dateable :)
 billingsmason
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/23/2013 9:00:39 PM
.... and besides, they let anyone into Mensa.
 mark777771
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 4:33:53 AM
When I was a kid I used to pray and pray for a new bike, then I realized god didnt work that way. So, I stole one and asked for forgiveness. -Emo Phillips
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 4:44:02 AM
^ ^ That was my laugh for the morning. Thanks.
 LennyPane
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 9:19:19 AM
c@Nt b3 tRu3. p13nTy 0f 10nG pR0f!L35 w!tH tH15 5TyL3 oF wR!t1n6.

c@53 C1053d.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 3:05:53 PM
lenny pane...hehe, that took a minute.
 CureCurious
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/26/2013 5:56:50 PM
Oooh, does that make me really intellgent then? I've got a rather profile -- that I had to shorten because a lot of people complained it was too long. So, I put things into point form and capitalisations for easy reading. I had to dumb it down, you could say. (:
 mark777771
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 6:45:59 PM
My observations have been bright and wise people tend to make their points succinctly.
 CureCurious
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/26/2013 7:14:33 PM
Anyway, in my view I don't think it's really to do with length. I've seen a profile recently that had mumb jumbo things like "oooo mmmmm aaaaa jjjj" just repetitive letters filling up the screen. :)

It's about originality. About how they describe themselves or what they want/need etc. Not, "I'm honest, easy going, fun loving..." yeah, who isn't? *rolls eyes*
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:49:51 AM
So, we're all agreeing that it's not how long or short it is, but how you use it. Heh?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 4:26:19 PM
Ya know IQ changes month to month so it does become a joke if you have one. I don't know my IQ any more. Rather not :)
 melodyof_k
Msg: 135
Posted: 3/2/2013 2:47:41 PM
no

posts this short are not permitted.
I just want to say NO.

also...I was not aware that they allow anyone into Mensa. I thought it was only those with higher IQ.
I think I am going to google this one.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 4:49:26 PM
Ok, ya'll, look...THe many different kinds of IQ tEsts use a wide varietY of methods. Some tests are visuaL, some are verbal, sOme tests only use abstract-reasOning problems, and some tests concentrate on arithmetic, spatial imagery, reading, vocabulary, memory or general Knowledge. The psychologIst Charles Spearman in 1904 made the firsT formal factor analySis of correlations between the tests. He found a singLe common factor Explained the positive correlations amoNg tests. This is an arGument sTill accepted in principle by many psycHometricians. SpeArman named it g for "geNeral factor" and labelleD the smaller, specific factors or abilities for specific areas s. In any collection of IQ tests, by definition the test that best measUres g is the one that haS the highest correlations with all the others. Most of these g-loaded tests typically involve some form of abstract reasoning. TherEfore, Spearman and others have regarded g as the (perhapS genetically determined) real essence Of intelligence. This is sTill a common but not universally accepted view. OtHer factor analysEs of the data, with diffeRent results, are possible. Some psychometricians regard g as a statistical artifact. One of the best measures of g is Raven's Progressive Matrices which is a test of visual rEasoning.
 gingerosity
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 5:08:54 PM
^^^ The CIA did that?! Damn...
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 5:16:54 PM
No. Way too simple. Even obvious I should hope. If the CIA does that...we're in trouble.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 139
Posted: 3/2/2013 10:48:21 PM
what about what one poster said about Mensa.
what are their standards for membership?
does anyone know?
I see on some profiles where the person says they are a member of Mensa.

EDIT:
what is the "average" IQ?
and what are the benefits of Mensa?
 CureCurious
Msg: 140
Posted: 3/3/2013 12:58:23 AM
No matter how long or short or unique or confusing your profile is, and no matter what that's supposed to say about your IQ ... one undeniable fact remains... so far it has not helped you find a partner ... or at least one that has stuck around.... :)
 billingsmason
Msg: 141
Posted: 3/3/2013 3:06:53 AM
nowthdhubillah.... insha'llah

who's doing the sticking isn't the crux, it's the right person to be stuck to. waiting to meet them is infuriating at times but saying you hate them in your headline, might be counter productive. just sayin.

as far as mensa goes- something like 140 million people hypothetically qualify.. 2% of the population.
for 40 bucks and a test above 130.7 you too could be a unique snowflake, just like the other 139.99 million.
they accept 200 other tests, so you might not even have to take another.

average for the US is about 103, I think. we are not very high on the list..
raven's test is great, except it told me I'm a slightly autistic asian and only goes up to 140...

g and s aren't quite as simple as g and s tho...
you can add: f,c, q, rw, sm, lr, va,s and t.

the correlation between length and substance- es nada
...but as young johnny says "I like the way you think"

that emo guy was on to something too.
 CureCurious
Msg: 142
Posted: 3/3/2013 4:22:42 AM
BILLINGSMASON

nowthdhubillah.... insha'llah

who's doing the sticking isn't the crux, it's the right person to be stuck to. waiting to meet them is infuriating at times but saying you hate them in your headline, might be counter productive. just sayin.

lmao @ your incorrect use of audhubillah and insha Allah :)) Good effort though.

If my 'headline' is a deterrant, then fine... I am only deterring those who lack a sense of humour, which is good because I have a tendency to be witty and geeky at times. Besides, rarely does anybody read the headline or even the profile, I have noticed.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >