Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JeepHammer
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
This is interesting...

"I have just read two profiles. One had 17 spelling mistakes, and that did not count the punctuation mistakes. The other had 22 spelling/punctuation mistakes. Nobody's perfect, and there is such a thing as a typo, but come on people! Do you really hope to attract the intelligent lady you claim to seek if you can't spell at a grade 3 level? It matters."

Now, I'm not going to point out the sentence structure mistakes, because that would be the pot calling the kettle black...

On a brighter note, I agree with most of the recent studies that indicate spelling has very little to nothing to do with I.Q. in general, and specialized gifts in particular.

I can tell you now that half of us in MENSA can't spell our own names & addresses without at least two mistakes, and no one I knew in medical school would have made it through if spelling, punctuation and specific grammar rules were enforced!
Those of us in the engineering end of things are much better spellers (at least we claim to be!) than the doctors we know from collage, but that isn't saying much since we can't spell either!!!

Personally, I type like an epileptic chicken dances... (not very well!)
But I do try and pay attention to the messages being broadcast, not necessarily the static that comes with the transmission...

To me this kind of sounds like a Troll/Rant at men in general...
Any reason to dismiss someone without the benefit of a doubt...
Good thing men aren't so particular or nothing would get designed, invented, built or serviced!
----------------

OK, I'm done, flame away at me now!!!
I'm not too particular, so I can take it!
 smith2267
Msg: 30
Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!
Posted: 5/31/2007 1:54:09 PM
>>I can tell you now that half of us in MENSA can't spell our own names & addresses without at least two mistakes, and no one I knew in medical school would have made it through if spelling, punctuation and specific grammar rules were enforced!

As a fellow Mensan who has attended veterinary school...I must agree.
It is simply atrocious how many doctors and mensans can't spell or use correct grammar.
 smith2267
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/31/2007 2:16:20 PM
You know, I've met two people on POF who claimed to be in Mensa, and I've invited them both to post on the Mensa forums.
Neither ever responded to me.
Could it be (gasp) that they are lying??
I'm erik.smith82 on the mensa forums, if anybody wants to talk to me there.
Be warned, I raise as much trouble there as I do here.
 that sam i am
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:01:11 PM
bom chicka wah wah! You have run on sentences. BAM!
 junipermoon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:19:59 PM

Or not ending a sentence with a pronoun.

actually, you may quite correctly end a sentence with a pronoun:

"i went with him."

perfectly acceptable.

and i suck at following rules.

i think that mastering your native language comes from what you hear spoken as a child, what you read, and the motivation to pursue proper usage.
 junipermoon
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:41:29 PM
i strongly suggest a wonderful little book entitled, 'the transitive vampire: a handbook of grammar for the innocent, the eager and the doomed' by karen gordon. i find it the ultimate guide to grammatical eloquence. it's a blast to read and the illustrations always crack me up.
 smith2267
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:46:32 PM
>>On this (dating) board you include your intelligence with just about every post.

It's as much a part of me as my...well, nevermind.
Oh, I meant ending a sentence with preposition, my bad. It's still a dumb rule.
Winston Churchill once said, "This is something up with which I will not put."
Of course, he was being facetious.
 smith2267
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:59:08 PM
>>I like mea culpa better.

Po-tay-toe, Po-tah-to. Let's call the whole thing off.

>>On this (dating) board you include your intelligence with just about every post.

Oh, come now. I post 3 or 4 times a day, and the subject of IQ comes up about once a month. And I am never the one to start the thread.

I just thought it was relevant that this guy who claimed to be a member, does not seem to really be a member. I was trying to enlighten you, you might say.

Think of me as your inside informant. I can tell you if anyone who claims to be a member is not.

And on the off chance he really is a mensan, we could use all the participants we can get on those boards.

So it's a win win situation.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 7:55:44 PM
Not many people can spell anymore.
Not many care.
You should see some of the women's profiles.
There are some that are easily worse than the men.
 innocentantic
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 8:31:09 PM
Mensa: My daughter read through an issue of the magazine one time and noticed 24 spelling/grammar mistakes! I only caught 20 the first time through, and I moonlight as an editor! Truth be told, I was so bored with the mag after the first dozen errors that I stopped caring. I'm officially an ex-Mensan now. The organization was horribly closed minded and curiously anti-social. Not what I was expecting and certainly not my cup of Earl Grey tea.

Gray should be spelled with an "a", by the way. It's too bad that it's one of my favorite teas, because I don't like the "e" spelling. In this case, it's named after an actual Earl whose name was Grey, so I guess it's OK.

As far as being literate. I consider you undereducated if you cannot write fluently in your native language. No cuido si es un idioma basado en las reglas como español o un híbrido de muchas lenguas maternas -- el conglomerado como inglés.

English is built on the rules of many languages. It has more words than any other language written with roman letters (some say more words than any other language, period.) It is very easy to follow logical rules and make gramattically successful constructions and spellings with English, while always using the same rule set, with the only exceptions being naming certain nouns that don't have readily accessible euphemisms to describe them. They could be from a different etymology than the rest of your vocabulary. My point being, if you're spelling words wrong, than you should stick to more simple words that you are familiar with. If you cannot handle writing something like "promiscuity" because you think it should have an "e" or a "k" or something else, then you need to say: "often has sex with many strangers." All little words that I'm sure you can manage to spell correctly.

Why is it that people cannot just READ what they write before they hit send? I have enormous experience with the language, but I still read everything I write before I send it. Everytime. Can't you have the decency to do the same?
 innocentantic
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 9:22:22 PM
Language use is a selection preference based on a hang-up, not on any other factor.

I mostly agree with this. I don't choose to not date people based on their spelling skills, but I do feel that if it takes extra effort to use the language correctly; it makes sense to put extra effort in. It demonstrates that you care how you are perceived and how you communicate with others.

The bipolar comment was disrespectful and I can't see what it is based on. Do you know what bipolar means? Nevermind. Please don't answer that question. To the rest of your panty-bunched rant: yes, I think that people that can write (even poorly) can read. I think that they DON'T read (what they write before they send it, or possibly much else.) I can't imagine how someone can read over what they wrote and not see that it contains 500 errors and doesn't make sense. Your sperm counting analogy also didn't make sense. What the hell difference would it make how many sperm you have? You either score or you don't, it only takes one.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2007 10:24:21 PM
I am willing to tolerate this somewhat, because I don't want to limit myself. Some people are not great at spelling. As long as they don't have 17 spelling mistakes, for example, like you mentioned, then I'm okay with them. A couple here and there are no big deal. Spelling errors are relatively common these days. The person has to be quite intelligent and generally write well for me, but I'll accept some errors. We aren't perfect. I certainly am not. But, I understand what you mean.
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/2/2007 10:37:14 PM
I DID NOT type that...^^^^^^ Friggen hackers!!!

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
 JeepHammer
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 7:47:00 AM

"You know, I've met two people on POF who claimed to be in Mensa, and I've invited them both to post on the Mensa forums.
Neither ever responded to me.
Could it be (gasp) that they are lying??"

I resent the insinuation.
------------

I used to post on the MENSA board quite often, but I got really tired of having to defend the definition of every word of every post to guys that can't spell or put a sentence together.

That and the fact if you don't pay your 'Dues' they shut off your password have kept me from posting since the fiasco threads about the MENSA research journal about 'ADD/ADHD Or Just Gifted'...
Lot's of stupid people with high I.Q.'s involved in that bunch of threads!

I was wondering why the research journal stopped showing up... Now I know.
Anyway, if they were all as compelling read as the one on alcoholism... (like stereo instructions in a foreign language with no pictures...
(Puts speed freaks to sleep! A real page turner! :Yawn:)
...Then I'm not likely to send them a check anytime soon.

So I guess I'm not in MENSA anymore... Sorry for the inconvenience.
 smith2267
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/4/2007 11:46:59 AM
I didn't mean you, Jeep, I was talking about two other people!

And "grey" and "gray" are both correct. If we in the US want to disallow british spellings, then we better start calling our language something other than English.
 Chef_Charles
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/4/2007 12:25:06 PM
OP, LMAO!!! I am an Author. Check my profile Out! LoL,, Who cares? I don't look at how well you can spell to know if I want to talk to you or not. I Look if I am in person, near you, first at your Eyes. The true Windows into you. I look at you, The whole you while I am still staring at your eyes, I notice how your face moves, how your body moves, I notice things you say with your eyes, most people never check themselves in a mirror while they talk or interact with people, It will show up on your face what you are thinking if you have not learned to hide everything from your face. I do preformance art. I usally gab and wave objects and preach and prance and do somthing whatever it is I am doing that time I am doing it, either on a stage or in front of my mirror, practice telling the funniest joke in the world and not laughing, it helps.

Most people don't hide their thoughts very well in person. It is on the other hand only what you read here that you know, or think you read here. Did you actually see the bird in my left hand while I was typing all this???

But my point is, Who cares if you got out of the 8th grade and can't spell, are you a good soul to know? I have said it before in another thread, stop judging a book by its cover, you never know what is in there unless you peek inside.
 junipermoon
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 12:27:42 PM

I'm never sure when to use "gray," and when to use "grey."

gray is a color.

grey is a colour.
 smith2267
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/4/2007 12:43:01 PM
>>I'm never sure when to use "gray," and when to use "grey."

It's strictly a suit your own fancy thing.
 crazydave86
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 2:23:08 PM
i really cant see how ya can blow off someone because they make a few typo's or has a problem spelling, a person spelling does not make a person
 Miss W
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/4/2007 7:28:32 PM
In a nutshell....if you are going to be sloppy with your initial words (these are your first impression), you are going to be sloppy with me, thus a turn off.
 Ignoble
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2008 7:06:06 PM
RE: First post.

I don't personally care, spelling is a learned skill. I don't get attracted to skills. lol

"Looky there Tom! That girl is really good at making bar graphs! Isn't that like the hottest thing you've ever seen!"

Hahahaha.
 JadeMuse
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/5/2008 12:24:05 PM
Good spelling, punctuation, and grammar give one the appearance of respectability.

Whatever you are selling (in this case you, right?), you have to get your foot in the door...

When looking at a website, for example, I am more likely to think that it is some sort of a
bogus or an unestablished company if it is not written well.
Same thing goes for misspelled business-cards or store ads.
It reduces the apparent value of the thing --the desirability for the consumer.

Done poorly, a profile or post can make one seem to have the
respectability of crumpled, dirty shirt...
--Would you wear that to a job interview?

Edit: You would probably find yourself in the minimum-wage category if anybody did hire you!
 JadeMuse
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/9/2008 12:34:19 PM
There is a difference between making the occasional mistake or simply being/seeming a low-rent doofus:

*I just made a spelling gaff in a post a couple of minutes ago (your vs. you're).

*I use poetic license with my punctuation (--sprinkle ellipses... liberally!).

*I edit for pleasant form
and readability
with less concern
for "the rules"
of line-spacing
when
posting in forums.

*Occasionally, I will put a comma in a weird place, just for emphasis...

Low-rent is not knowing the difference, and thinking it doesn't matter.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/9/2008 1:41:24 PM

men that can't spell are a turn off I understand the difference in a typo and just plain bad grammar.

I'm sorry Prissypants, I just have to poke a bit of fun.

Maybe what you meant to say was: 'Men who can't spell are a turn-off. I understand the difference between a typo and just plain bad grammar'?
Posted: 8/21/2008 8:57:38 AM
Grammar, spelling, and syntax are important. Nobody is perfect, I make my share of mistakes. However, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to have a decent grasp of your native language. Even though it is intentional, this type of shit is a HUGE turn off for me: "2 c wat dis site is bout!!!" *shudder*
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!