Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Coastergal
Msg: 3
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've never considered it.
I kind of feel like if someone does that.. they must be so lonely and desperate that they are going to communicate with someone that they will never be with.

I don't even want to know what is in someone's head that murders or rapes other humans.
 piewhacket
Msg: 12
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/16/2007 9:44:41 PM
Jezebel as for one of your friends who corresponded with a Kray Twin:

Firstly you state "evil" in this sentance, but more insulting to their memory is that you said he was THANKFUL - I don't think so hun LMFAO!!!!!! (still trying to pick myself up off the carpet through laughing so much).

Oh hold on your last sentence - got me back on the floor again - stop it now jezebel seriously !!!!!!
 OleTimeMusic
Msg: 15
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/16/2007 10:53:50 PM
ok, thus far it has been women writing to blokes,
what about the other way round, a bloke writing to a woman. ?
 pantsonfire
Msg: 18
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/16/2007 11:25:00 PM
I wrote to a convicted murderer on Death Row in San Quentin as part of a University course I was doing, it wasn't a compulsory part of the course but it was very worth while doing in my opinion .. I would never write 'love' letters and could never fall in love with a murderer but there are sometimes mitigating circumstances... Our correspondence never became sordid or seedy, the prisoner I wrote to 'appeared' remorseful and was a totally changed person to the kid who had killed whilst stoned out of his head .. This does not excuse nor condone him killing before you jump on me and I would never have condoned nor asked for his release... ever!! .. He was executed earlier this year and it left me with mixed feelings... Whilst justice HAD been done, he never denied his complicity .. The man they killed was not the kid who had been a killer ... As with everything there are levels of involvement, it's just another personal choice to be made and to be held accountable for on the day of judgement ..
 OBird
Msg: 25
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/18/2007 5:33:55 AM
I don't want a pen pal - on death row, or anywhere else.

I write to my mates who are serving time (none of whom have ever been convicted of either rape or murder, I should add!) - that's enough letter writing for me, thanks!

hharbottle1960
Msg: 27
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 1:22:53 PM
Let me re-state some things I have in several other posts.

I have at one time corresponded with someone on death row and it affected me very negatively when I got a letter back stamped in big bold red letters - INMATE EXECUTED!

I am now in a wonderful relationship with a former inmate penpal. We have been lovers for 6 years now. We started corresponding when he was in prison for
stealing some money. He never asked for money or anything else. I simply adore his 9 year old daughter Chelsea as she does me. He has a great job, his own car and he takes care of all his bills and we both Co-raise Chelsea.

I honestly do not know what I would do without this wonderful man of mine.
Now, yes I know, I got lucky but it can and does happen. Not everyone who
goes to prison is a piece of trash or the dregs of the earth. When corresponding with
an inmate one must remain open to the possibility - either way good or bad.

Many have said it takes someone who is a nut case or someone with low self esteem or they must be desperate but this is not always the case when initiating contact with an inmate. I have several very near and dear friends who were former inmates, people I can honestly and am very proud to call "Friend" and they prove themselves time and again. Yes, maybe I got lucky and actually hooked up with people who where truly
remoseful for their crimes. I am even good friends with their families. We are planning for the first time this year a Picnic In The Park for all my former inmate friends and their families. Please don't be jealous and don't be a hater. This has all taken a lot of work and patience. No they are not all gay but neither do they care that my boyfriend of now 6 years and I are or that some of the others are either.

This is just my experience and I thank God daily for it. I only ask that all of you please keep an open mind. If you want to be a hater that's your business but for those of us out here who are lucky enough to have had a very positive experience, please accept it for what it is.
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 31
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 5:17:19 PM
I have many times considered writing to people in prison, because there are many people who don't deserve to be there. The problem is that you wouldn't know what kind of person you were really writing to. I've read a lot of accounts of people writing to prisoners, then later on find out they have been deceived. The other thing is that you are advised not to give away any personal details at all, and to use a pen name. I would find that very difficult, particularly if they were asking questions about family etc and I had to lie. So in the end I decided not to do it.
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 32
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 5:19:03 PM
"If there was someone who just did a crime I duno that I can understand or wouldnt bother me, then yes id write to them."

I can't remember how to do the quote thing. Anyway, the problem is that you generally don't find out what the prisoner did - it's only if they tell you that you'll know, and they might not be telling the truth.
 hharbottle1960
Msg: 33
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 3/12/2008 5:57:19 PM
That's not true, almost every state in the union has a Department Of Corrections Website where you can check them out before hand that's what I do before I start corresponding with someone.
 xchaosx
Msg: 41
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/19/2008 1:23:40 AM
I have been a pen pal to prisoners since I was 16. I do it in my spare time and truly enjoy it. I currently write about 5-10 guys regulary. They are all great guys and just want someone to talk with. I do however only write guys who come from a state where I can do an "inmate search" and check what they are in for, because I will not write to a rapist, woman beater, or child molester.
 hharbottle1960
Msg: 45
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/24/2008 4:37:01 PM
Because we are polyamorists and are looking for a 3rd.
 Naamah
Msg: 50
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:35:02 AM
All this admirable compassion being invested into writing letters to prisoners, helping them do time, so they don't feel so lonely and abandoned by humanity. I cannot help but wonder... if someone is so inclined to strike up a communication with a person not previously known to them to take away some of the loneliness in that person’s life, why not write to a person leading a lonely and sad existence in an old age home or a hospital/hospice who perhaps has no visitors and nothing to look forward to? Someone who didn't actually break the law to have ended up on their own personal deathrow. In my mind, these people would be better candidates for such compassionate reaching out from strangers. (If I may be so cynical as to suggest that perhaps it would have less of a dramatic feel to it though.)
 greeneyemike
Msg: 53
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 9/20/2009 10:41:22 PM
mannish boy, right on with the blues jam. pardon my interjection to your thread. i am simply a friend attempting to get someone a penpal. true my friend, most dudes locked up are straight loserville. my friend hangs on the edge of true benefit to society, and the rest of the mess.we can encourage him to our cause. any females specifically looking for this type of individual may be problematic as well. huh? well lets just post something for him and hope that something comes for the better, brother. no?
speaky for
greeneyemike
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 56
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 9/21/2009 2:16:28 AM
I was working as a legal temp some years ago and came upon a case file that contained love letters from a prisoner to the female solicitor. I read them and his poems brought tears to my eyes. I asked her how could she manage not to be moved by his letters. She told me she avoided reading letters as the prisoners would try anything to get out and all they are looking for is a vulnerable female to latch on to. She also cautioned me that a lot of what was written was not genuine, it was just playing to an audience.

For the person who was wondering how to communicate with soldiers, etc. who are in active service, please go to the MOD website and you can register and look through adverts - you might find someone to correspond with.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 58
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 9/21/2009 7:48:45 AM
I have a pen pal in an Oklahoma prison - my 24yo nephew lol Two of my other three nephews have done time as well, but they've been released... Hoping they lay low for a while lol
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 61
view profile
History
pen pals in prison..
Posted: 9/21/2009 3:04:46 PM
Unfortunately I have spent a good deal of my 20's inside, about 5 years?

Now work for the NHS, i am completely rehabilitated. Jail aint no walk in the park, used to live for my letters, in fact I would go as far as to say letters= outside contact, and thats what kept me sane, I lived for my letters.

Anyone thinking of writing to someone in jail, do it, because it will make their week.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >