Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Depression and suicide      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tuka1115
Msg: 51
Depression and suicidePage 3 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
suicide is for cowards!!!!
 erm1956
Msg: 52
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/21/2007 10:07:42 PM
I was depressed and suicidal in the late 80’s. When I finally bottomed out and was ready to end it all, I realized that once you have nothing left to lose, you gain the power to do anything. I think all of us have been sold a bill of goods over the years. We’re told that we should be happy and we shouldn’t be lonely. Too much of anything is not good, even happiness. We need the sad time to make the happy ones sweeter. Placing the onus of sadness at our own feet just make it look like it’s our fault that we are to blame. Saying we should not be lonely, is like telling a person that you should never allow yourself to be hungry. Eat all the time, and you get obese. We need loneliness to focus on ourselves, to grow; just like we need to sleep. When you learn to embrace loneliness for what it truly is; time to work on yourself; at that point you become unbound and truly free.
 fishGoFish
Msg: 53
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/21/2007 10:11:27 PM

So NOT true. Spoken by someone not at all empathetic to depression.

Just hang on to a rope, when you come to the end, tie a knot and reach out to someone....there are really people who care.....God bless

I took antidepressant meds when I felt that i was barely hanging on by fingertips to the very end of a badly frayed rope and was scared of the black abyss below and at the same time, wishing the drop had already happened. The meds didn't change my life but made me feel like a great big knot had been tied at the end and that I had a secure grip on the rope. It took a long time to slip down that far - the slide was subtle, insidious. The climb back to 'normalcy' what ever that is, has taken a long time too but so worth it. Once I had a foot hold on that rope, as well as a good two handed grip, my perspective changed and a smidge of self confidence grew. I've made some changes. Now, I laugh. I smile.

Best wishes all
 Chris261
Msg: 54
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/21/2007 10:49:32 PM

I agree with fishGoFish.
This is not true. Only a moron and idiot views it this way.
To get to the point of actually ending all you have to loose all sense of reality and selfworth.

I suffer from depression and have done for some years. I was coping fine and starting to come off my meds.
At that time the woman who appearently was inlove with me dumped me. In a matter of hours I went from happy and looking forward to a decent future with some who loved me to wanting to end it all.
Several times I got to the point of sitting on the bathroom floor with blade in hand in tears.
This was how most of my nights went from Dec 30 '05 to mid March 06.
Each time I remembered who I would leave behind and how it would hurt them. Why did I realise this? I was still a sane rational thinking person!

I still have thoughts of suicide on a weekly basis but have pulled through with the help of my Dr, Psychologist and meds. I go from happy periods to periods where I don't even care to leave the house or wish I would die in my sleep. Alot of times I wish I had ended it one of the last two nights in 05.

Give the details above, I realise I shouldn't be looking for someone at present and have already deleted my profile off 1 dating site and will do so here in the very near future.

Chris
 ScarletDawn
Msg: 55
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/21/2007 11:05:24 PM
I had a very hard childhood with an alcoholic father and a very passive (scared of my father ) mother. He threatened to kill me many times in my teen age years and I was almost ready for it many times cause the life there was unbearable....he held a gun to my head on three different occasions...and yes he was my real father...but backed down every time..Im not sure why..but after that I started to mutilate myself with cutting cause my bf at that time was just as mean as my father....finally I got away and now my father is dead and Im happy....thats all I have to say...no Im not married...I was once but didnt work out....I guess Im destined to be alone
 BaggageFree
Msg: 56
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/21/2007 11:41:00 PM
Depressed over loneliness?

All the time, however this niggling "self preservation" instinct keeps me from performing the ultimate act.

As to dealing with the loneliness, it may not be a perfect solution, but thank god for MMORPG's. ( Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games... World of Warcraft to you non gamers )
 MonaLisa72
Msg: 57
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 3:16:35 AM
suicide is not a cowards way out. My daughters father committed suicide and suffered from bipola. He is so much happier know im sure much happier than when he was alive
 Fry Lock
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 9:51:49 AM
Nothing is ever thast bad, and if it is, it will get better sooner rather than later.

Think of all the people in the world that are WAY worse off than you; do you have running water? an indoor toilet? a bed to sleep in and food to eat? Well, you are better off than a percent of the world's population (not quoting numbers here, cause I know if I do, someone will call me on it for being wrong)

This is a very personal thing for me. I just lost another friend yesterday to suicide, and it sucks, cause that's the ONE THING you can't take back; words, actions all that can be fixed, but that can't.

Man, Tim, I miss you already.

Fry
 lostwolfeye
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 2:04:21 PM
OP- I've been there. Never actually attempted but I wanted to die in the worst way. I understand the hopelessness and feeling like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The sad part is when you are down at the bottom of that pit, peoples words just seem to bounce off you and lay powerless at your feet. You say yours is from lonelieness. Perhaps, if you have not tried this, you could search out organizations to join and do whatever you can to surround yourself with people and make new friends. What helped me alot was to volunteer myself to charitable organizations. Helping people in need made my troubles seem petty and small. It gave me a real boost to help others at a time when I felt helpless to help myself.

To those who have a grade school mind and can only write acidic comments about suicide being for cowards. Go blow it out your backside!!
 OleTimeMusic
Msg: 60
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 7:09:30 PM
lostwolfeye,
while i say lonelieness one of, but also the main issue with me, it is not so much i need lots of people, infact i dont like crowds.

im refering to the lonliness one gets without a partner in life.

i often wonder if people who say that suicide is for cowards have any feelings , emotions or understanding of people at all.

while you have to have lived with something to say you know how it feels, you do not have to live with something to understand how it feels.
 Hey Sam
Msg: 61
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 7:57:12 PM
That was a nice post, Rygar. :)

I also wondered for a few days why someone would say that suicide is for cowards and the answer I thought of was 'pain'.

Re-read msg 34.

Karen said her other daughter responded in anger as well. Anger is a response to intense emotional pain isn't it? (look at other posts about cheating!) Is it also a lack of understanding about HOW it could have happened? Someone who believes there was A DIFFERENT answer than DEATH?

If you know someone who has ended their life, and didn't REALLY understand WHY it happened, would you not feel SOME anger? I thought about it and decided I MIGHT.

If I thought someone could have reached out to find a way to get over their depression (and I realize that its not ALWAYS about feeling so low about things that have happened in your life that CAUSES depression) and lived a happier life because of it; been around -- more years and spent those years FIGHTING to get over what hurt them ... I too MIGHT have reacted in anger. How many countless other people have gotten really hurt ... and gotten over it through counselling?

I know a lady ... two years ago while she and her boyfriend were having relationship problems, this young 'father-to-be' of her unborn child committed suicide. She is angry at him. Her beautiful daughter will go through life never knowing her father. Does she have emotions? Hell yes, she does. Does she have a 'grade school mentality'? Hell no!

As I said in an earlier post ... I wish my family member would seek counselling. Change counsellors if they are not experienced enough. I know it takes ALOT to get to the point of considering the thought to end your life ... but doesn't it take even more ... ? something? to try and get out of the depression? I don't know!? I'm not judging either ... just seeking answers ...

Roast my thoughts away ...
 Hey Sam
Msg: 62
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 8:46:00 PM
OleTimeMusic, I just wanted to make another comment ...

You said 'im refering to the lonliness one gets without a partner in life".

This is also another thing that I have heard a few times from people who have contemplated suicide.

The family member, and actually there is a teenage family member also whom I have learned has once mentioned it, considers himself 'sensitive'. He grew up acting 'tough', but he also grew up without proper manly guidance and support. Closer to home, my ex considers himself 'sensitive' and gets very depressed now. All 3 believe that no woman want a 'sensitive' man (hence the 'act'). ??? I think it's UNtrue BTW. Some women don't like it, granted, but there are women who DO.

Even closer ... my eldest son has been considered by some as 'sensitive' since he was little; he is very compassionate, he worries about everyone. He is popular and athletic. He recently defended a child who was being bullied. He is such a sweetheart and has even, at 11 yrs old, recently brought home a stuffed animal that was left at the side of the road, because he felt sorry for it. Will life hurt him more if I don't ... if I don't what? I work every day to build my childrens self esteem and help give them lessons in life. Will it be enough? Is 'sensitive' a word associated in early childhood to depression? I'll google it and see what I come up with, also.

EDIT: http://www.dg58.org/counselors/depression.htm
"Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure" is among signs.

Many other sites. Not enough time to go through them all but I'm reading this one ... http://www.treatmentonline.com/treatments.php?category=Our+Psychology
Maybe you can find other sites that are good?

Hey Sam
Msg: 63
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/22/2007 9:28:43 PM
http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Depression/mhrecovery/articles.asp

?
 rjb888
Msg: 64
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/23/2007 7:56:22 AM
I've been sad alittle about feeling lonely, but not to that extreme. If I heard a friend say that I would try to get them help.
 ocgentleman
Msg: 65
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/23/2007 10:53:42 AM
this response is a little late but you are obviously a moron. actually a person has to be quite brave to take his own life. i'm glad i was a coward. many times you cannot control when you have a kidney disease or heart disease. so you see a doctor. it is same with depression. you can't control the chemical imbalance in your brain so you see doctors and hopefully that helps.
 peach-blossom Luck
Msg: 66
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/23/2007 12:02:27 PM
Dysthymic Disorder -- is that the type you have? And it is less treatable than other types of depression. I do hope you socialize and stay attached to the world. Hugs from across the world.
 MT^female
Msg: 67
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/23/2007 12:14:51 PM
The one thing I will say, is yes I have been there, and instead of "explaining" I will say this, unless you have been there yourself...you can have NO possible clue as to what happens to a person. I've been called a coward and worse....but I did survive it. Instead of tearing people up, try being a freind.
 dvd1711
Msg: 68
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/23/2007 12:35:06 PM
I pray to manifest for all those suffering from depression the peace the universe intends for you to have. To have not is horrible; to expect less is a nightmare; to wish for it is lonely; and to give up is tragic.

I know how lucky I am. I have no magic to give but my love...which is pretty cool actually.

Feel the friendship, love, Light, and peace we give you. Make a gift of your pain by fighting and passing on the lessons you will learn.

You are a survivor: Thrill me, baby!

/Dave
 OleTimeMusic
Msg: 69
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/24/2007 12:58:37 AM
hi peach, yep dysthymic sounds about right, they did say what sort but i dont remember.
i also get uncomfortable around crowds as well.
Like going shopping, its ok for a short time, like up to an hour or so, but after that is starts to get difficult.
 baby_cakes!
Msg: 70
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/24/2007 10:39:43 AM
I have never been depressed, but my mother is very far into the illness and has been for years. i think some people get confused between depression and just feeling sad.
My mother has a clinical illness and she has tried on numerous occasions to kill herself, almost succeeding many times. There comes a point in a depressed persons life when , because of the drop in seratonum levels (sp?) in their brains, they feel like everything is overwhealming them and they leterally cannot see a way out. Depression makes a person very tired, both physically and emotionally. Even if they have much to live for, they dont see it that way, or rather, cant. My mother has two great kids (my brother and myself) my brother is in his final year at school, and she still cant seem to find a reason to want to live.

Being depressed is not a choice and it is not because of anything a person says or does, so therefore it cannot be fixed with words or actions either. If you have a problem with actual depression, I strongly suggest you get to a doctor and get put onto some medication to increase the seratonum (sp?) level in your brain. Thats the only thing that will make you feel better.
 rescuemaiden
Msg: 71
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/24/2007 4:58:33 PM
wow; I cannot believe i have found others that are like me, or like me.. i have been very depressed and it hurts alot, i am in a position where i work with higher influential people and you know we are not suppose to have problems right... well wrong we do and at times it is very hard to overcome them, there are times when i did wish they had not found me. then now when i look at my beautiful children i know that there was a reason why i had to live. God was not finished with me. we are here for a reason and yes at times those reasons are hard, but you know if God did not think we could handle those times he would of let us go.. there are many people in my life that have left me and it hurts i cry alot, and it seems when things start to look good there is always another trial to face. I know it does not help when we listen to very sad songs but I love them, and it helps me to overcome my grief. I thank this site for i did not know that you were out there. I am a lonely woman also, the only difference and people that are keeping me alive now are my children. I have tried so hard to have successful relationships but they always failed on me. Now every morning i just say "thank you for this day".
 baby_cakes!
Msg: 72
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/24/2007 5:02:06 PM
Guys, Just hang in there.
No matter how hard it seems, just remember that when you think there everything is just impossible, you are not seeing it clearly, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

You are stronger than you think, otherwise you wouldnt be here now .
 smartarsch
Msg: 73
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/24/2007 5:08:50 PM
My sister committed suicide last week after a long bout with depression, fueled by alcohol and abuse of painkillers, antidepressants and sleeping pills. No matter how hard we worked to help her, we couldn't stop her.

I hate to say it, but there are people out there who have lost the capacity for clear thought, and end up destroying themselves. This was the case with my sister: we intervened in so many ways, we tried to help her, but she continued to suffer, suffer, suffer.

When the end came, I was in complete shock (I still am.) My only consolation is that her suffering has finally ceased and that she has the peace that she has craved for so long.

But for all you others: get help, get as much as you need, pay whatever you can, because the alternative is not so great, and those you leave behind suffer even more. I think about all the suffering I went through during the last six months, but the suffering I'm going to feel in the future will be even greater.
 OleTimeMusic
Msg: 74
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/24/2007 11:53:10 PM
rygar69,
you say there is no magic cure, or quick fix,
that is very true, though if it were possible to change the passage of time,

or as in the multiverse theory of quantum physics that posits the existence of parallel universes, alternate realities that exist concurrently with our own. The theory holds that anything that can happen does, if not in this reality then in another.

in one of them realities there is a me that is happy beyond dreams.
 frenchpoodle
Msg: 75
Depression and suicide
Posted: 5/26/2007 8:52:14 PM
I am really sorry for the lost of your daughter, I know how painful it must be. I, my self once I was very young and I was going to teh university, I was loosing my mom from brest cancer and gettng divorced and loosing every thing, one night I made my self very drunk, and took some sleeping pill to go to bed ad fall sleep, I never drink that much but that night few years back I did it. I saw the horrible experience, I was dying, i saw the light. DOctors told me I was lucky if I did not have any brain damaged or even I survived!But I wanted to come back, For some reason I woke up adn my friends were all sleeping and drunk but I woke up and called 9/11! I saw my self leaving my body and going some where else. They say when you experience after death you become even stronger adn you will start to believe in god adn that was it. I never ever took my life for granted or any thing even if they send me to a prison in the middle of Baghdad! Life is a precious thing and never take it for granted!Since then i helped lots of people to deal with their depression, if any one tells me he or she wants to end his or her life, I will tell him or her how horrible the experience is and will do any thing to stop her or him! The horibble experience that I had to go throught it was so terrifying, I ahve never seen it in my life. People who do it need help adn we should all do every thing in our power to help these people. I knwo how bad it is and I do not wish any one else to go through the same thing I went, believe me you would want to do any thing to come back but lots of people do nto get this second chance! I was feeling that some thing was trying to suck my soul down and I was tryig to go through the light but soem thing ws trying to take me away from that light. It was as scary as hell, any one who has this tought can contact me and I liek to talk to you please! I ahve been there and may be I can help you and talk to you if you like! Now I became such a strong perosn because of my faith. Nothing can adn should deceive me any more because I deserve to live!Good luck to every one, please take care
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Depression and suicide