Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tomcat_dublin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Traveling SoloPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I've traveled on business alone quite a few times

you can have a great time if you keep your mind open and willing to accept others for what they are... you do have to be careful after all you are on your own... but it's all good...
 europeanlady999
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/19/2009 5:42:20 PM
i also like to explore new places and cultures and have experience of traveling SOLO.
I was in Thailand, Japan, S.Korea, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey,Spain, Poland, Romania,
Slovania, Italy, Monte Karlo, France, UK, mexico, Canada and more.
And now I need your advice where it would be nice to go...May be Costa Rica or Dominican Republic????? But I recommend to Travel to Russia- Moscow- Snt. Petersburg or Beauitiful Estern part of Russia(I can help with that)
 mariacba
Msg: 28
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/20/2009 5:20:23 PM
Hallo Native American,
I agree with your friend . I think that the best way to learn a language is to be inmerse in that sorrounding but I've learned English at the University without having the possibility of being in an English speaking country.(I am from Argentina) .So the point is this ,you can learn Spanish in your country , it is not impossible to do that but it is much better if you have the possibility of learning it in a Spanish speaking country.
I've been given this information about a good course to learn Spanish:
Synergy Spanish
The author is Marcus Santamarica
marcus@how-to-speak.com
www.synergyspanish.com
Hope I can help you
mariacba
 marshfieldmale
Msg: 29
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/22/2009 4:40:53 PM
I am hoping to take a trip via Amtrak....either to Seattle or to the east coast....probably in the next year or two.
 europeanlady999
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/24/2009 10:56:22 PM
lets go for single cruises
 marshfieldmale
Msg: 31
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:47:25 AM

I am hoping to take a trip via Amtrak....either to Seattle or to the east coast....probably in the next year or two.

In the meantime, I'm going to Michigan on Amtrak July 11-16.
 ktmeow
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:40:36 PM
hello just curious if you made it to russia..im planning of going in a couple of months going solo route moscow st peterburg helski and riga.. if you been there recently i appreciate any comments of this places . thanks
 seandaone
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/3/2012 10:07:58 AM
I have been thinking about doing it alone for the longest. I am shy so I think it wont be fun. I am more of listener. I want to travel out of country for my bday this month april but none of my friends have money and vaccation time save. The girl I am talking to wants me to pay for everything. I said no way jose, not on my birthday lol. Some places are fun in group or alone. I wont mind go to brazil alone or dominican republic. lol.. How can I overcome my fear of travelling alone.
 mariacba
Msg: 34
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/6/2012 4:29:35 PM
May be trying to be safe.I mean visit places where you speak the languange.Rent hostel/hotels in advance.Till you gain confidence.
Happy trip!
maria
 KNVBFan
Msg: 35
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/12/2012 11:47:44 AM
Couldn't agree more claymore. I have had many spontaneous adventures traveling solo and have enjoyed every single one, in fact, enjoy some good relaxing time in Hawaii right now. I tell everyone the exact same thing, you don't have to wait around for other "slow pokes" and the freedom of being on your own time is the utmost advantage. You make your schedule and if you don't follow it, oh well, you might find something more interesting.

Cheers and happy travels.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/21/2012 12:58:57 AM
Lone travel is great as you can do as and what you wantand when. People tend to find you more approachable. People look out for you and are mostly have good intent but of course trust your instinct. Maybe take a teddy bear with you for company and as a reason for people to come and talk to you. See book Travels with My Teddy Bear (Travelogues of a woman with Asperger's Syndrome).
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/25/2012 2:34:52 PM
I've travelled solo for 40 years. No doubt, if you want to meet people and get to know a place then stay at hostels. Do a bit of research on the ones geared to your expectations (there are private rooms, etc.). I spend about 3 weeks in Maui every winter and would take one of the 2 hostels in Wailuku anyday over 5 star hotel accomodation.. Instant friends and beach companions. Communal BBQ, great conversation..just overall nice people. There's also a certain level of security in numbers which can make single women feel more at ease.

Where I'm from (southern France) hostels are also the best bet along with informall B&Bs. We often had somebody staying with us. Usually some tourist who stopped for directions and we invited them in for dinner and they stayed a few days.
 Spring_weather
Msg: 38
Traveling Solo
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:47:17 PM
I may travel to Florida, California or elsewhere alone. Not sure where I am going to yet..
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/5/2012 8:30:57 PM

Hi what is the best time to go to Denmark - never been but would love to :)

My girlfriend is Danish...I'd say 'now' (June) or September. I'm from France....May or October for most of the country. April is nice where I'm from (the south in Montpelier).
 ktmeow
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/23/2012 8:35:15 PM
i been travelling solo and had occassional sickness mostly allergies induced asthma..did hiked in southwest of cornwall in uk as well the isles of scilly.. altho i didnt camp and rock climbing alone.. but did hiked alone.. i met people from different parts of country and it is an experience and the best part i did all of this now that i am half a century..lol.. mind you i carry everything from antibiotic to first aid kit is a must travelling alone or with someone.
 ktmeow
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/30/2012 6:35:46 AM
Over the past year i met quiete a long friend list along the way.. funny part lots of younger generations now travelling solo opposing to couples. I am originally from southeast asia and travelled most part of asia and europe alone in a country where i dont speak the language.. i must say it is the most interesting thing to know language, culture and people. Like most of us had travelled alone we have found ourselves and best of part We did it without fear being alone. Be safe and dont do anything i woundn't do .. (except have not figure it out yet or a couraged getting drunk and waking up with a stranger beside u :)).. Enjoy the moment safely!
 Spring_weather
Msg: 42
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:41:33 PM
I don't have anybody to travel with me, so I will go alone!
 CPCPCP
Msg: 43
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/5/2012 11:14:47 PM
I recently traveled to New Zealand on my own (April 2012). It was just me and my camera. I did all the things I wanted to do from a massage, to a soak in the hot springs, to astronomy photography up on Mt John at Lake Tekapo. I had a fabulous time, hired a care and off I went. The evenings were the tough times I found I was getting lonely, so I would head down to the bar order dinner and a glass of wine and talk with the bar staff, locals who would recommend places for me to see. They were very friendly and seem to understand I was lonely. I recommend traveling on your own some times but I would much prefer a journey shared.
 Spring_weather
Msg: 44
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/6/2012 1:13:19 PM
I would like to be one of those people that can travel by themselves to California, or Las Vegas- Nevada, or Florida, anywhere. I live in Canada. And am very wary about going off by myself on the plane and wondering if I will encounter any problems and how to be -street wise and deal with them?!
 Mandyd54
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/10/2012 8:37:48 PM
Hello:
I grew tired of asking friends and family to go on vacation with me. So, in 2010 I joined a group of 28 strangers and took a tour to London, Paris, Switzerland, Florence, Venice and Rome. Had a great time! Luckily, I did not have to pay the single supplement and had the room all to myself. Though I was with a group, I had the choice of either joining in or being by myself, which was great. In May of this year, went back to Europe and I took a friend with me...big mistake. Next year, planning to go to Egypt alone. As far as safety, I strike up a conversation with people in the hotel over breakfast and get tips on things to see and best places to eat. Also, used Rick Steve's suggestions. Just keep your $ close to your body, look confident and use the same common sense you would if you were in NY. Have a great time and GO, GO, GO! Life is too short to watch the world go by on the History Channel!
 ktmeow
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/12/2012 9:21:51 AM
first of all where u want to go and look at the visiting most common sites where you.. best book where your going to stay..dont worry you will meet along the way..lol
 pfif
Msg: 47
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/14/2012 12:06:14 PM
I think I would go with rail travel and a folding bicycle, and
drop in on net friends receptive to meeting. I wouldn't want
to expose a new travel partner to all that.

I'm good with being the secondary, as well -- let them set the
agenda. Either works for me.

If we're going to camp, then I do want a trio. You can always
separate and agree to meet up at the next waypoint.

Or skip a few waypoints.
 BrainyThaiLady
Msg: 48
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/1/2012 6:42:25 PM
Thailand is the best.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/2/2012 11:56:58 AM
darrenc

travel alone regularly and would strongly recommend it as an experience. If you wish to meet others whilst away hostels are good places to stay at as they have a communal atmosphere but also allow you to get away and do your own thing if you want too.
Also acity break may be the best way to start off travelling alone to as it can be less stressful than if you have a lot of connections to make and have limited grasp of the language of the country you are in.

True. It's also why I recommnend hostels.

Also bang on about only hitting one city (or small island). I like the feel after a couple days of knowing where the local grocery store is, getting a cup of coffee or whatever. I've travelled fairly extensively but in the last decade or so prefer returning to places I've been and enjoyed....more of an easy feeling.

Also, French is my first language so I prefer going to French and English speaking islands. No, don't let language limit your choices too much, but if English is one's only language then a trip to the UK or a an english speaking country in Africa, the Caribbean, etc. might be a best first adventure.
 bmhen88
Msg: 50
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/2/2012 5:32:25 PM
Same here except I don't work in the travel industry.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo