Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 harryoutdoors1
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Traveling SoloPage 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Has anyone used National Parks to camp in as their home base? I'm planning to go it alone this year and will be traveling in a van. I'm writing and taking photos as I go and like gold panning and treasure hunting...whatever adventure stirs at the moment. I like the idea of National Parks 'cause they are cheap and in the outdoors!
Any thoughts?
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 77
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/19/2013 4:44:02 PM

Has anyone used National Parks to camp in as their home base? I'm planning to go it alone this year and will be traveling in a van. I'm writing and taking photos as I go and like gold panning and treasure hunting...whatever adventure stirs at the moment. I like the idea of National Parks 'cause they are cheap and in the outdoors!
Any thoughts?
Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the idea, I might just do something like that this summer and now I can get a Senior Pass. I have stayed in some of the NPS campgrounds and some are pretty nice. Also I have just found a forest access road and camped up in the mountains. There is a group of us that do a lot of rafting trips in the summer that last around a week or so and they are fun too.
 bofast
Msg: 78
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/29/2013 2:42:29 PM
I did, and had a great time and met a gal from Sweden that I should have married. My mistake.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 79
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:07:28 PM
Totally fun and great way to see the world. Sometimes I even think its better than dating. Besides wherever you go , you will usually run into someone cool to chat with.
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/31/2013 6:50:18 PM
I do way to much traveling do to work reasons. Now don't get me wrong and each to their own but I like traveling with company. I find it to be more fun as long as you both have the same interests or are willing to explore them and besides you got someone to talk too. The good thing about traveling with another person is your both watching out for one another. Now I travel all over the place alone do to work and it gets boring fast. I have been to some interesting places and I wish I had someone there to share them with. Someone should come up with a travel plan and see how many people they could get to do a short trip, like 3 days or so,and that way your able to weed out any retards from the group quickly. I have always toyed with the idea of finding a group of people that like to travel and make it a yearly event where everyone got together and did a trip, besides it gives you some buying power with numbers and makes it more affordable for the ones on a tighter budget.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 81
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/3/2013 2:41:58 PM
I think a cruise is a great way to travel alone. There is plenty to see and do, and you have the safety of a group if you want to go on excursions while in port. I've been very happy with Royal Carribean.
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/5/2013 5:38:19 PM
Well I would think this question has been answered over and over many a time considering it was asked back in 2007. I'm not sure how you end it?
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 83
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/7/2013 5:23:25 AM
I like to travel too. My ex was a dud, especially after 9/11, so I was grounded for 17 years. Went solo to PR a few years back & am thinking Dom. Republic in spring or a cruise. Wanna COME??
 TheWayOutIsBroken
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/8/2013 11:09:30 PM
I plan on living in a different city every month for a couple years (starting in the next few months). go for it!
 Spring_weather
Msg: 85
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/13/2013 6:01:50 AM
I really have to get my passport, don't want to go on a cruise though; have heard the news reports of ships being stranded out in the ocean's or other problem's with ships..

I have a fear of flying, but would rather that, then going by car, train or boat..

What about Cuba- how safe is that for women or anybody in general traveling alone? Any answers please?

What is the safest country to travel to also?
 Albvs
Msg: 86
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/26/2013 7:30:43 PM
I've usually traveled alone and it's great. You can meet all sorts of people whether you're with someone or not. Traveling alone seems to make that a little easier. As an American you sometimes find that people will be interested in our country/culture and will start the conversation.

I've spent some time out of the country and I'd definitely suggest seeing as much as you can while you're young.
 Albvs
Msg: 87
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/26/2013 7:35:14 PM
What is the safest country to travel to also?

I love the Netherlands and always feel safe there. If you do go to Amsterdam venture outside of the main city center and see more of it. Try to plan some time to see the far eastern side with the cities of Arnhem and Nijmegen. If you want the memory of a lifetime plan your trip in advance to be there for the week of July 17th when the Four-Days March is held. Like everyone else, you'd stay in a tent in one of the city's football fields. More than a million people watch the participants and it's more fun than Octoberfest in my opinion.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 88
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/11/2013 11:37:03 AM
Cuba is a very safe country.
 cookwithme65
Msg: 89
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/11/2013 2:18:41 PM
Lots of great ideas. I'm itching to travel myself. Thinking of maybe a trip down the east coast of the states maybe in to Fl in a small rv with my dog. Visit some small seaside towns. Maybe find a new place to relocate.
 Allan Anger
Msg: 90
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:49:39 PM
Love traveling, also, and like traveling solo, for the most part..Kind of nice to travel with someone, but you want to know whow you are traveling with.
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 91
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/22/2013 9:11:44 PM
I travel solo all the time :)
 Luminex
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/24/2013 9:54:19 PM
I am 60 and just returned from a month on a "SOLO" backpacking trip to S. Korea and Vietnam. It is my third time to Asia and I highly recommend it.

With the technology of smart phones, there is no language barrier and communication with friends and family is always available. I have never had a bad experience and have met many people along the way. I have a friend that I could go on cruises with, however cruising and all inclusives does not satisfy my appetite for adventure. Just do it. Face your fears. It is so empowering to travel solo. Jude
 Luminex
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/24/2013 10:00:49 PM
I am 60 and travel alone. My first solo trip was to Thailand 4 years ago. It is very safe there. Thailand actually has a police force dedicated to tourists. If ever there is a dispute about money etc. they will intervene. Most Thais speak English and it a very beautiful country. They are primarily Bhuddist and go out of their way to help. I would suggest any country that you choose to learn to say hello, please, thank you ...just a few words in their language. That goes along way with the locals. I have learned from travelling that most people in the world are actually very kind. I have heard that Cuba is safe, however I have not been there.
 AthenaMarina
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/28/2013 10:22:16 AM
I've read through some of this thread and look forward to reading the rest.
I have traveled solo quite a bit.
I also moved to live and work in another country when apart from one family friend who I stayed with at the start, I knew nobody, no job planned nothing!
I'm still here over a decade later!

I LOVE to travel & yes often it's on my own: sometimes with a tour sometimes just me, depending on location, deals avail & other factors it's been mostly Europe but
a dash of Asia & USA: (Over the last 13 years these are my solo trips:)

Austria (tour) Belgium (2 tours) Czech (tour) England, Finland (tour) France (on my own) I went to Paris on my own, first time with ex hubby, second time just
me, Germany (on my own, couple of day tours but Frankfurt was on my own, Hong Kong (on my own) the Netherlands (on my own, & also couple of day trips) Russia (tour) Scotland (on my own) Spain (tour) Singapore (on my own) Switzerland (on my own) USA (on my own, several times)

Some people say they would NEVER go traveling on their own but if I waited till I had someone to go with I would not have made those trips I listed! And I definitely enjoyed
them! Planning to go to Japan & San Francisco this year on my own too!
 TinkerBell_Time
Msg: 95
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/29/2013 4:53:14 PM
I've done some traveling alone, both in the US, Canada, Mexico & a lot of island hopping...several cruises...it's fun, educational & sometimes crazy but if you stay aware of your surroundings & make sure you let your family know your itnerary, it's pretty safe....however, you have to be able to entertain yourself at times & not be bashful about joining in on a group of strangers should the opportunity present itself, which it usually does....after you go once & make a few friends along the way, you should be past the feeling like you need company with you...you'll actually enjoy being on your own schedule without having to do what others want to do...myself, I pretty much scout out the friendliest cantinas for evenings where locals hang out & tourist are welcome, a nice spot on a quiet beach for sun & sand & a little off the beaten path for shopping...& voila'!...you have a wonderful vacation spot!!
 Spring_weather
Msg: 96
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/4/2013 3:32:36 AM
I have to get a passport before the price goes up in July.. I live in Canada and want to travel alone.. But very hesitant about it;

I want to get out of my comfort zone, comfortably if that is possible.. I need to find more courage and confidence to spread my wings..
 DragonBits
Msg: 97
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/5/2013 1:11:58 PM
Jude

I am 60 and just returned from a month on a "SOLO" backpacking trip to S. Korea and Vietnam. It is my third time to Asia and I highly recommend it.

With the technology of smart phones, there is no language barrier and communication with friends and family is always available. I have never had a bad experience and have met many people along the way. I have a friend that I could go on cruises with, however cruising and all inclusives does not satisfy my appetite for adventure. Just do it. Face your fears. It is so empowering to travel solo. Jude

So where did you backpack to in Vietnam? How far, was it with a group, did you get out of the tourist area? Sleep on the ground or in hotels, about how much did you pay for a hotel?

I went to hanoi Vietnam, but didn't leave the city except for a tour to Halon Bay. Took the local public bus, the city isn't really large enough to get too lost in.

If I get the chance, I might go back. My thinking was start out in Thailand, take a train to China, I think there is a train going that way.

We in the USA aren't allowed to go to Cuba. We would have to sneak in, and it isn't worth the possible problems if caught.
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 98
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/9/2013 7:24:13 AM
Love to travel but cant imagine doing it myself for safety reason for I am too trusting. I will just have to find out one of these days what it is like .
 DragonBits
Msg: 99
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/10/2013 2:28:44 AM

Love to travel but cant imagine doing it myself for safety reason for I am too trusting. I will just have to find out one of these days what it is like .

I don't like to travel for pleasure alone, and I don't like tour groups. I do enjoy myself when traveling alone, did it often for a month at a time for business, and I went to Bali by myself. Staying a month in different cities for business gave me experience traveling alone and having an expense account meant I didn't have a concern about money.

I have seldom felt any danger, my spidey sense did start to go off when drinking on a street curb at mid-night in Bangkok with some Thai men. I left when it felt like it was getting a little hinkey, meaning strange in a dangerous way. This is by way of saying, while this isn't something most people would do, it hasn't caused any problems. But I am not really trusting when it comes to situations where I could lose control and I don't know the people I am with.

Now that I travel with my wife, I am more careful about danger because it makes her nervous and I feel there is more to lose if something did go wrong.

You would have no problems with a tour group, and likely no problems traveling alone. I just don't like tour groups and there has seldom been a good reason to travel alone.
 keithsmarathon1
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/10/2013 1:44:03 PM
For those that travel, especially alone, you need to check out a site called travelbuddy.com. It has a lot of helpful tips, stories, reviews, and who knows...maybe a travel companion. I love traveling, even alone. But for my next big trip (Hawaii) I hope to have someone special to go with. There are just some places that are just better when shared.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo