Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 90
Traveling SoloPage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Love to travel but cant imagine doing it myself for safety reason for I am too trusting. I will just have to find out one of these days what it is like .
 DragonBits
Msg: 91
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/10/2013 2:28:44 AM

Love to travel but cant imagine doing it myself for safety reason for I am too trusting. I will just have to find out one of these days what it is like .

I don't like to travel for pleasure alone, and I don't like tour groups. I do enjoy myself when traveling alone, did it often for a month at a time for business, and I went to Bali by myself. Staying a month in different cities for business gave me experience traveling alone and having an expense account meant I didn't have a concern about money.

I have seldom felt any danger, my spidey sense did start to go off when drinking on a street curb at mid-night in Bangkok with some Thai men. I left when it felt like it was getting a little hinkey, meaning strange in a dangerous way. This is by way of saying, while this isn't something most people would do, it hasn't caused any problems. But I am not really trusting when it comes to situations where I could lose control and I don't know the people I am with.

Now that I travel with my wife, I am more careful about danger because it makes her nervous and I feel there is more to lose if something did go wrong.

You would have no problems with a tour group, and likely no problems traveling alone. I just don't like tour groups and there has seldom been a good reason to travel alone.
 keithsmarathon1
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/10/2013 1:44:03 PM
For those that travel, especially alone, you need to check out a site called travelbuddy.com. It has a lot of helpful tips, stories, reviews, and who knows...maybe a travel companion. I love traveling, even alone. But for my next big trip (Hawaii) I hope to have someone special to go with. There are just some places that are just better when shared.
 sharongirl1498
Msg: 93
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/12/2013 8:22:17 AM

For those that travel, especially alone, you need to check out a site called travelbuddy.com. It has a lot of helpful tips, stories, reviews, and who knows...maybe a travel companion. I love traveling, even alone. But for my next big trip (Hawaii) I hope to have someone special to go with. There are just some places that are just better when shared.

I really enjoy traveling alone. Some places are great with a group (Oktoberfest) with a special someone (definitely Hawaii). Traveling alone to Europe is a lot of fun for me and really soothing, oddly enough.
I will check out travelbuddy.com, thanks for the tip!
 littlewarrior1
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/13/2013 11:22:56 AM
I love traveling alone, which is good, b/c not many seem to want to go to the places I end up lol :/
I go to some of the most amazing places on the planet but not many would consider these places safe or desirable...especially for a woman from the USA.
My profession is ballet but my passion is the Asian elephants and India is where you can, usually, find me.
Truth is, whether you travel to your local grocery store or on a plane to far away lands, there is always the risk of stumbling upon a bad situation. In fact, some of my scariest moments have been in places where you'd least expect to find trouble and the most profound moments, also, where you'd least expect them to be.
My advice? Learn about, and respect, the culture of the places you want to go, have your head on straight, and go for it!
Yes, I have found myself in situations that I'd of rather not be in, one involving a really pissed off water buffalo, (go figure) and there is always those who will try to take advantage of you...this world is filled with bad people and no place on the map is safe from that element.. but.. I cannot imagine missing out on all of the wonderful people, and life, that is out there due to the fear of what could happen.
The "what if's" of looking back on a life not lived is, imo, the real tragedy.
Life is short....go for it!
Just please do not do anything that will further hurt our world's wildlife when your out there. TY...
Bright Blessings,
J
 whippedboi
Msg: 95
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/15/2013 11:56:28 AM
it is great, I really enjoy it, it helps a lot of you can forget (even temporarily) that your home country is the 'best' and your ways/customs are superior to all others or 'the right way' try not to be the Ugly _____ , bellowing in your native language (most often, it seems, in English) as soon as you are slightly 'frustrated' or upset witt the differences and demanding that these ignorant locals should speak your language & do things o your way.. spotted more than enough "ugly Americans, Canadians, Brits, Ozzies, Kiwis, etc. " on my travels - enough to last me a lifetime +
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/24/2013 1:57:00 PM
Might not appeal to everyone BUT staying in hostels can be good for solo travelers. You can meet many people and do things together.
 MtnBkr1984
Msg: 97
Traveling Solo
Posted: 12/10/2013 8:22:43 PM
I tried convincing some friends of mine to come to the Philippines with me in March/April 2013, I ended up going alone. My main objective was climbing Mt. Mayon, which I did. The trip was a blast by myself, because I could do whatever I pleased. You meet tons of people traveling alone. I can vouch for that. There are so many interesting people out there, locals, and other travelers. I'll be heading back to SE Asia - Indonesia mainly, this spring, to tackle my next active volcanoes, Agung and Rinjani.
 mynderse
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 12/12/2013 4:40:13 AM
l-l:
Some words of wisdom??? Travelling is an experience like no other! I admire the fact that you want to go somewhere on you own! Not sure if you are male or female, but many of the same principles apply-trust me. I have been robbed in Torino, at the Winter Olympics, in Cuba, in Old Town Havana, and Lisbon, Portugal, but fortunately never physically attacked. Also, been semi-drugged at a bar in New Orleans so a 'local' just happened to be there to walk me to my hotel wanting, and almost demanding a tip for getting me there safely!
But, the positive experiences FAR outweigh the negatives! Swim with sharks in Tahiti or be on the Today Show with Matt Lauer/Natalie Morales in Vancouver, Lillehamar, Nagano, etc. and you will see!
There's nothing worse than having friends say they will go away with you, just to be hit with- at the time of making reservations (and collecting money for airfare/hotels, etc.) they can't go, can't afford it, or some other lame excuse that those that are "all talk" portray.
My advice to you is-'don't let other people influence when you go, where you go and how you get there'! I have much to share if you wish, including 75 countries, some alone, some with other girlfriends, family-you name it. If someone wants to go, if I can go, I will, as there is not a greater thrill on earth-to me! (I don't have kids so I'm sure that would trump the travel thing, but I can't speak for that!)
If you want to hear more, let me know. It's the first time I have been on this sight and, the first section I went to was, of course, the TRAVEL part!!! LJ
 wanny7
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 12/19/2013 4:52:53 AM
I would love to go to USA or Canada but have no one to go with my friends always say they are skint... This been happening for years now. This post has helped me! I am small in height and don't have the confidence in the solo travel. I'm looking into tours, I never thought of looking before.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 100
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/4/2014 11:25:37 AM

Have you taken a trip by yourself?

Many.

Any good or bad experiences?

All good. Lots of fun experiences.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 101
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/8/2014 9:09:47 AM
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
Mark Twain

I have traveled alone, with family, friends, lovers & each time it was always very special…..in hotels, motels, rentals,lodges, get aways,hostels, rv boats,tent,or just in the tall grass with blankets….

imo, it never gets old to travel…..I'm a "people person" so once the itch hits you or in my case,'cabin fever' when living up north …^^^^
And the travel experiences to share with others & those with you are priceless….

And really never felt in danger, whether it be at night, on the road or strange cities. But still used common sense when it got late or in any other situation that it was time to call it a day…….Safety is number one & common sense…..

And for those who like to travel in places your State Department has said very unsafe….u might want to heel their warnings before thinking other wise….
.remember those hikers [aka knuckleheads] from the states who thought it would be a wonderful idea to hike near a war zone in the middle east….bad idea…..as there will always be those, 'dare devils' out there to close to the edge…happy travels...
 NoOne001
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/10/2014 11:22:28 AM
Travelling solo is great. Makes you grow as a person. Live and learn.
 whippedboi
Msg: 103
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/15/2014 3:57:04 PM
@ or: the US State Dept. Seems to say virtually everywhere outside of the US is 'dangerous', including many much less dangerous than many large US cities.
 ezmoebee
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/27/2014 2:07:05 PM
Since becoming single again, I've been on a 4-day trip to Barcelona with some train travel up and down the coast which was wonderful, although throughout I kept thinking [name_of_friend] would LOVE it here and feeling a bit sad that I wasn't sharing the experience.

That said, I've just booked my next solo jaunt for the end of May. This time I'm having a week in Baltimore, US - principally for the baseball but also to check out Washington DC, nose around some landmarks and hopefully meet some fun locals. With my knowledge of Baltimore extending only to 'The Wire', there are probably safer cities to visit, but I plan to just keep my wits about me, and let the fact the city isn't on the usual tourist top-10 add to the experience
 Rocket-ship
Msg: 105
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/10/2014 6:08:59 PM
I will travel eventually out of my comfort zone in Canada, over to Europe or into the United States..
 abid12
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/15/2014 5:02:42 AM
Hi
Travelling on you own is like an adventure but you need to keep an eye on your expenses. The best place to stay is in a hostel & you can meet lot of students & other travelling buddies. It's fun to take the walking tour, go around the city, make friends at hostel etc. I will be travelling to Dublin on wednesday for a week.
:D
 TLC200
Msg: 107
Traveling Solo
Posted: 9/24/2014 5:27:06 AM
I went on my only cruise and it sucked.

I asked the travel agent (who was in her 70's) for a party boat. music, drinking, chicks.

she put me on an old person's boat. and I mean old. walkers and canes. the highlight of the cruise was Fredericko Soto singing Sinatra in the Fantasy Lounge. I stayed in my cabin the whole time.
 ladymercury
Msg: 108
Traveling Solo
Posted: 11/4/2014 8:02:29 PM
I'm travelling solo in two weeks ... well, with my dog, not sure to what degree this meets the question. My house closes in two weeks less a day and the next morning I'm going on a cross country adventure with a 4 X 8 trailer in tow. Will end up in a new city and look for an apartment and all that fun stuff. Find work, attach myself to a new social scene, etc.

Time to settle in somewhere new and see what direction life throws me in. It's super exciting, and quite intimidating considering the winter weather is upon us, but whatever. I think someone started a new trend awhile back: YOLO or something like that.

Friday was my last day at work haha! I'm packing up a storm over here!
 DragonBits
Msg: 109
Traveling Solo
Posted: 11/8/2014 5:37:54 AM

I'm travelling solo in two weeks ... well, with my dog, not sure to what degree this meets the question. My house closes in two weeks less a day and the next morning I'm going on a cross country adventure with a 4 X 8 trailer in tow. Will end up in a new city and look for an apartment and all that fun stuff. Find work, attach myself to a new social scene, etc.

That's a huge adventure. Do you know what city you are going to be living in? You don't yet have a job?

I am pretty adventuresome myself, but I would never go to a new city to live without first having a means of employment. Now that I am retired, it's a different story since I am not looking for work.

I have gone to a new country without having any idea of where I would sleep that night, it really doesn't bother me in most European countries like Germany. But in place like Bali, Thailand or Colombia, I research hotels ahead of time.

But I did take off to Cambodia without any idea of exactly where I was going to stay that night, and only a loose idea of how I was going to get to Siem Reap. The only problem was it was New Years, and quite a few hotels were booked. Not a real problem, just more limited selection. The tuk tuk driver I have hired when the car dropped us off in Siem Reap took us around to several places.

I suppose the difference is, when I fly into an airport and have to depend on a taxi, I want to know where I am going to stay, but when I have a car rented at the airport, or I am taking a bus/van to someplace, I am Ok with scouting around for a place to sleep.

As long as you have enough money, your adventure will work out OK and be exciting.

Hope it will fulfill your wanderlust. ciao
 ladymercury
Msg: 110
Traveling Solo
Posted: 11/12/2014 6:55:47 PM
Thanks dragonbits, the adventure is 6 days away so I'm super pumped. I'm heading to the west coast ... Vancouver. I've got all my stuff in totes in the living room in front of me and am organizing all the last pieces and saying my "see ya laters" to family and friends.

Tuesday morning I take to the open road ... let's hope the weather is good for the travel!
 2015cashmere
Msg: 111
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:18:46 PM
I'm planning a road trip by car in early September from Port Angeles to San Diego, any "must see" stops along the way. I'd hate to miss something wonderful. Thank you.
 2015cashmere
Msg: 112
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:20:00 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention above, I'm taking the coast highway.
 onethuglife
Msg: 113
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/21/2015 9:19:23 PM
I drove 8000 km from Edmonton Alberta to all the way Los Angeles alone. Visit Arctraz Island, hollywood, Disneyland, took lots of picture of beautiful site scenes. play poker in Las Vegas. lol. yeah I drove back to Vegas as well. Had lots of fun. Sometimes I feel being a single is better.
 StumbledN
Msg: 114
Traveling Solo
Posted: 4/24/2015 10:18:55 PM
I once gave up my seat on a flight in exchange for a round trip ticket to anywhere in the continental U.S. but it had a one year expiration. Figured I might need it at some point but I never did. So when the expiration was upon me, I had to use it or lose it. It was only one ticket so I decided to just go as far away as the plane was going. In a worst case scenario, I could always turn around and come back. Ended up in San Diego. I had time to burn and no clue what to do with it. So I rented a car at the airport and set out to explore the Independent Republic of California. I could write a book about that trip. Noooo.. I wouldn't do that to you here. But I was out there two weeks before I ran out of money, caught up in numerous adventures, met a ton of people, and had an absolute blast. Had more fun and saw more sites than any well planned vacation before or since. That was 15 years ago and I remember it.. uh, well a lot of it anyway... like it was yesterday :-) I haven't run across another ticket like that since. But if I do, I think I'll try Seattle next time. :-)
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo