Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 harviej
Msg: 15
view profile
History
where to find professional womenPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

In Toronto they tend to hang out at Church and Jarvis.
, no no no. A lot of these are guys and the rest are part-timers. Phone book, bro, phone book.

Really?

For myself I am looking for someone who just wants to be an amateur woman. I don't see being a woman as a career choice.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 17
where to find professional women
Posted: 5/25/2007 2:45:26 PM
there are many of us around but we too are very selective... as I am certain you are. What is more important than being professional is being a well rounded person who takes time to smell the roses. Also someone who is willing to hang in there when times are tough; someone who is as good at providing chicken soup as helping you prepare for that important presentation and those that are simply willing to listen without passing judgement. Though I am sure we are also looking for an intellectual equal what is most important is the emotional equal.
 innocentantic
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 4:12:16 PM
To: post 22 and

Okay ... now here is my question:

What's the big deal about finding a "professional" woman?

We are all good at something ... some of us are good working with our hands and some of us are good working with the knowledge we attain from the time we have spent in further educational institutions ... but we are all good at something.

Because for successful business men (50 - 70 hour work weeks, six figure+ salaries), a woman who is also in business is very attractive. Chances are you will share similar tastes, can understand a devotion to work, have the same goals of early retirement, and have the reasonable potential to be making the income to get there. Successful business men and women most often take care of their appearance, invest more money in their appearance, and realize the value of being able to speak intelligently on a variety of subjects. Being comfortable and company socials or the expensive steak/seafood/martini joints is a big plus.
 MallardHunter
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/25/2007 4:51:50 PM
I undertand precisely the question, and without offending anyone - - what this man seeks is someone with a higher level education (for starters) and successful in her field.

Thank you for clearing things up for all the really stupid people here that replied, and I am sure the OP needed you to clarify what he was asking...
 Calisparkle
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 9:06:00 PM
Well, what does professional mean? Does it mean she must make $100K plus?
$75K plus? what if she is educated and makes less? Uneducated and meets the above financial requirements? Is it based on the cost of living where she resides? Must own a house and boat?

Really, what is your definition of success?
 Calisparkle
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 9:14:08 PM
How would anyone know if there are many professonal women on here? There isn't even a place to select your educational level. I don't put my profession because i do not want to be judged by it. If a woman even says she owns a home, she gets all these young guys without their own place asking to come over.
 MallardHunter
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/28/2007 9:13:02 AM

"I am a teacher and a coach."

Okay....

"I think what I do outways what I wear. "

Umm...

It is spelled outweighs....

Dude, your slipping...

positive impact on teh whole
I wentt o college

I guess she isn't a spelling teacher...
 cotter
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2007 4:03:07 PM

There are few such women on this site and the same would apply to men.
I for one ... would be curious as to how a person comes to such a conclusion.

As a matter of fact, there are few such people in general.
Gee ... if the poster who wrote that is telling the truth ... suddenly I feel so all alone out there.

Sigh ....
 innocentantic
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 1:38:54 PM
>>Successful business men and women most often take care of their appearance, invest more money in their appearance, and realize the value of being able to speak intelligently on a variety of subjects.

Ummmm....what? I didn't realize only professional women took showers and took care of themselves....let alone have intelligent conversations. The non-professionals like the fresh outta bed look I guess.

I didn't say that non-professionals DIDN'T take care of their appearance, I said successful business people most often DO. That's not taking anything away from non-business men and women. I'll admit that spending more money on their appearance does compare the two, but I feel it's true. How you look and the choices you make about clothing and spending any kind of money on your appearance (body, vehicle, neighborhood), actually make a difference when you're networking or schmoozing clients. It makes a difference when you're attracting mates, also; but most of us don't want to be superficial and care about polishing ourselves up too much, purely for social reasons. Having a lifestyle that demands it, is all the better if you get turned on by appearances.

As for intelligence... again, I only said that "successful... can speak intelligently..." I didn't say they could speak "more" intelligently, or anything negative about people that weren't successful business people. You have to remember, there are many people in business that are unattractive and oblivious. These people are not likely to be as successful as the people that we're looking for. But what I was really trying to get at is that successful people that play on the global stage (or at least national) understand that being able to embrace diversity is key for homogenizing the world under your product set. So, being able to speak intelligently on a variety of subjects is very valuable. Many people only care about the things they care about, and that is very limiting, and frankly quite boring.

So now to my favorite question (that everyone ignored, so far):

Asked by Calisparkle in Msg. 28 --

To me (and this is a personal subjective assessment): I would consider a woman to be successful in business if she was revered in her company, is promoted fast and frequently until there are no promotions left or her salary exceeds her retirement and investment goals, and she is doing what she loves and feels that the quality of her life is enriched by her work.
 innocentantic
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 1:53:01 PM

>>There are few such women on this site and the same would apply to men.
I for one ... would be curious as to how a person comes to such a conclusion.

Because if there were, don't you think they'd be replying to this topic? We have a couple teachers, so far. I love teachers. I would date a teacher. But a teacher doesn't fall into what the OP is talking about here. Nor does a nurse, but the world needs more nurses. Nursing is a very noble profession; which of course, teaching is, too, but one of the reasons that they are so noble (apart from the giving aid to human kind and improving our chances for life) is that they are generally paid poorly. Pay doesn't make the person. It's just a different classification that what OP is talking about.

Why are so many people having a hard time understanding that it is OK to have preferences on who you want to date? Like the other gentleman said... he prefers someone who has chosen NOT to have this lifestyle. I think the OP has a very valid question, and people have made some good suggestions as to physical locations to meet. I think maybe the OP was anticipating there to be a place online to meet successful business women. I guess it's just like anything else... if she's that much of what you're looking for, she probably doesn't need to be here. She has little time as it is, and she spends most of it ignoring e-mail and phone calls from her friends' friends. Where to find professional women? Networking. If you're worth it as a professional, then you know how to do this.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 3:07:06 PM
My guess is some of the professional women on this site wouldn't venture into this thread because all the non-professional women would bash them for their choices in life. Wouldn't be surprised if I next hear how much a professional spends on dry-cleaning in a year demonstrates how shallow their values are. Puh-lease people, get a grip.
 Witchypoo
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/2/2007 1:27:55 PM
To the OP..... you looking for a date or a "Sugar Mama"??? The date can be found on just about any street corner. The "Sugar Mama"??? Well..... good luck with that one.

:))
Witchy
 bucsgirl
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/3/2007 6:52:48 PM
I find it interesting that so many are assuming that professional people are all putting in long hours and seem to not have any personal life.
Granted they don't teach that in college or grad school, but it's something many of us figure out on our own. Working smarter not harder. Sure there are times when our professions are more demanding, but sheesh!! What's the advantage of all that education if it doesn't benefit you and you're still putting in over 50 hours or more every week.
Working smart is nearly my mantra, if my staff can do it, I'll train them to and delegate. And I'm already churning out more work in less time than anyone else who's been in my position. They should be teaching efficiency, if that were possible. I take the time to write down instructions and notes so that when I do the same functions, I have something reliable and accurate to refer to. Not duplicating my efforts month after month.
I worked and studied hard to get to where I am, and damn it, if I can't figure out to benefit from that, then I'm just working hard and all the effort for my education isn't paying off.
 Fun_Jess
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/3/2007 7:04:52 PM
haha when you find out let me know because I cannot find a professional man!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/3/2007 8:51:31 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The civic, charitable organizations, most any opportunties for people to volunteer, in my experience, it's mostly the professionals who are not supporting them with more than just a financial contribution, but being there, organizing them, staffing and running them. And many, not all, professional people do have a sense of community, and the opportunity to be able to help and give back, and make a contribution.
Being busy is most often an excuse. When you're looking to get something done, those who've learned find the busiest person, in their company or their organization, because they know it'll get done.
So many are so "busy" but not really doing anything. Don't have goals, deadlines, almost no accountability for how they're spending one of their most precious AND the only irreplaceable resource...their time. Busy people are jealous of their time, and rightly so, because they understand that. Not just busy people, but busy successful people are those who've learned to manage that resource and use it to it's fullest potential.
Many will never understand that concept at all, and be jealous of those who do more, achieve more, with the same alloted time every day, every week.
That really is what separates the achievers from the rest.
 orchidtigress
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/4/2007 1:58:42 AM
charity organizations, art galleries, upscale places, workout centres, professional organizational PR events, seminars, retreats, cruise ships, spas, healthclubs, churches, parties, fundraisers, etc.

Basically my advice would be: join a club, do something you like, or take a class etc- then you will meet people with whom you have common interests.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/8/2007 12:11:46 PM
Bookstores are a key place -- my 50+ year old uncle, with a big red beard and could easily be cast in films about the middle ages had a young gal make a move on him there. It takes patience. You don't go there once or twice for a couple hours and quit. Make yourself available. It's like scoring in hockey -- getting an interested gal's number doesn't happen every time your team does something. You have to move the puck down the ice, and move it near the opponents' net and go from there. Takes time and patience to set yourself up, and there will be plenty of interuptions much of the time before you even get to the point of making a legitimate shot on goal. Some people try and slap shots from the blue line and complain that nothing's going in.

Professional = successful? Or women in nice sexy business suits with a career-oriented job? Bookstores would be a place, but you'll find "amateur" women there, too.

And I don't think meeting a gal at a movie theatre would be the best route, btw! ("Hi! You're in line to see a movie? Me too! Hey, how about we see a movie some time? How about now?")
 Gideon_70
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/8/2007 7:51:12 PM
How about dating a lady with the intention of seeing is she is marriage material. Then, if she is, put her through school, support her, and help her see her dreams come true. Or would you rather just find someone that is more career minded than family minded so that there will be no strings when you get tired of her.
 magnacare
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2008 8:38:38 AM
innocentantic I agree with your reply. Also think that there are many other good replys as well. IMO this is a "personal opinion" on what a person deems "successful professional' I believe there are successful professionals in every field from white color to blue collar workers. For me in my earlier years, I was a successful professional server, who choose to go to college and further her education. In my earlier years being a server allowed me to be home to get my children off to school, and be home when they returned, I could do homework and tuck them into bed at night. However, I knew they would grow up and I would have more free hours. So I chose to go to college, further my education so when they were old enough to be more self sufficient, I would be in a position to work full time in an area I truly enjoyed going to work in, as well as increasing my financial situation looking forward to a retirement I could live comfortably with.

Now, I work as a professional in the business world, but believe me I see "successful professionals" with major college degrees, whose personal and family life are in shambles or constant chaos. I also have friends who are tradesmen who have never gone to college but are successful professionals in their respective fields and they have personal lives that are well balanced and healthy.

So my point is this, one needs to define their own paradigm of "successful professional"

Is yours:
someone who goes to work in a suite, makes 6 figures, lives in a pricey big house, has luxury cars, takes exotic vacations 2x a year, shops at only the high end stores?
OR
someone who goes to work in their jeans, makes enought to pay the monthly bills, can afford their health insurance, owns a car that is reliable transportation, takes their family camping or rents a cabin up north for a week of vacation, is a bargan hunter who shops wisely by comparing prices and loves a great "sale"?

I have friends who fit both catagories above, I consider BOTH to be successful professionals in their respective fields. Both are happy, mentally /emotionally healthy, they love the life they are living. Their only difference is their "life style choice".

AFM, I have chosen to live in a happy medium of both worlds. While I do not practice extravagence, I do enjoy, what I consider to be, some of the finer things in life as well. I have and I continue to work to enjoy them.

So for me I think you need to ask yourself that question. What life style do I want to live? When you have the answer your resolve is simple. Live, join, play, and become involved in the social circles, as well as the professional circles of the type of lifestyle you want to live/lead. You know the ole saying, "bird of a feather". I hope you find what you are looking for.
 magnacare
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2008 9:05:32 AM
Good point peacefullme. That is another reason to have a really well thought out and written profile that honestly conveys who they are and the type of person they would be attracted to. Like you just because I work in the field of my choice, I am not too hung up on my potential date/mates social status or income, rather who they are as a person and how they choose to live their life.
 nextone1
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/23/2008 4:27:34 PM
Looking for a "professional" simply means you are looking for someone who will fit into the lifestyle that you already lead. I attend a great many business functions disguised as social functions. I need a partner who can handle that type of function; the dress, the politics, the "schmoozing" that happens at these events. They need a sharp world view, intelligent opinions based on being well informed and well read and the the manners to be able to deal with a diverse poplulation gracefully. That is what "professional" people do. One professional will understand the pressures and demands that another is under. The people who post things disparaging professional women, stating that professional women don't want relationships or suggesting that the stay at home mom who has never held a job in the business world is a "professional" simply does not understand the world some of us live in. It is neither better nor worse. It is just different.
Preferring to date someone who moves in your world, understands your issues and has a similar frame of reference is a preference, just as everyone has preferences for looks, interests and activities.
I have a PhD. I posted it and then took it off. My e-mails increase 10x with no other change in the profile. I put it back up because that is WHO I AM and qutie frankly, the men who responded when it was off, would NOT be comfortable in the social circle in which I live nor did we share any interests. How would that work???
 androgynousvon
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/23/2008 10:37:13 PM
well, OP, as a professional woman, i hang out at gas stations (getting gas), you could say "hi" there....running errands (grocery store, banks, convenience stores, pet smart for my dogs....i also hang out with friends, go to bars once in a while, i go out to eat, i may take a hike or a bike ride, or walk my dogs. then there's also my profession...i spend a lot of time at work. anyway, the irony is, i usually don't get "hit on" unless i'm dressed up like a typical bar bimbo. i'm always torn between dressing that way and just letting my profession speak for itself. unfortunately, no one takes the time to find out what i do unless i'm looking cute and sexy that day! lol it's a real dilemma!!
 nextone1
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/24/2008 6:48:37 PM
No dempcey, I did not say that, the original poster did, that is what HE is looking for. I was just explaining why some people (such as OP) may have a preference for certain types of people. Everyone has preferences, no reason to be disparaging about it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >