Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Chuck it all, Sailboat around the world With Kids      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 54
Chuck it all, Sailboat around the world With KidsPage 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
John
I know kids on a boat will be a good thing. It all comes down to good parents, people that will make good parents on land will make good parents on a boat too, that's if they like to be on a boat, LOL. Maybe even better because there is less distraction with TV and such.
I figured you had been out for a while since I saw you hadn't been on for over a month or so. I've got somebody coming down from Ontario to buy the 30 footer ( I hope, he's checking out storage marinas in the area) the 38 footer is almost ready to put on the market, It always surprizes me there aren't many people like me that will look for a bargain that needs lots of work and can do the work. Anyway I should be paid well for my time fixing it up. That's a big SHOULD, I hope.... Then I can get to my boat and get on with this trip.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 55
Chuck it all, Sailboat around the world With Kids
Posted: 1/6/2008 10:58:28 PM
I'm back in Kansas for a while, but soon headed to the boats and Florida, I sold the 30 footer, still have the 38 to sell, the 45 is complete enough that I can start at anytime. Still lots to do but I'm set up now so I can do it anywhere. I've got the big generator and lathe and milling machine installed, and also the little diesel that can run stuff just by changing belts. The little diesel is supposed to be hand startable, but with my experiments so far I hope my life doesn't depend on it. It starts fine with it's electric starter, but if all batteries are dead for some reason I need a backup plan. I've got solar to charge batteries but that might take a couple days. I've still got some more playing and experimenting to do with it, try starting fluid, etc. I'm also looking at converting an air ratchet to a starter. I can pump up an air tank with a bicycle pump and then maybe use it to start the small diesel, then it will generate electricity and start the big diesel. Hopefully should never need this plan but want to be ready just in case.
 onward33
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/7/2008 12:54:53 AM
If I could work the finances and be able to do such a thing I would love to...with or without kids...would be good to have a partner for it first though - solo sailing especially with very young ones could get a bit too much at times! Ah, you have me fantasizing now!
 ladysailingbuff
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/7/2008 4:04:14 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sailing is a definite part of my soul and I'd love nothing more than to see the world on a sailboat. Kids would be no issue as I'm a teacher and boat education would be great. I've actually thought about teaching for Semester at Sea. I can't wait to get involved in the sailing scene in Seattle though.
 Ignoble
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:37:20 PM
RE: First post.

I hear ya brother. Id love just to go hiking in the middle of nowhere for like... months. Sounds fantastic, but I don't know all I need to survive that long.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/13/2008 7:52:50 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I agree divorce decrees can put a damper on life, sometimes you might be able to get around the limitations for the good of the kids, but often it's just a tough sh-t attitude if it's something that's good for your too. That's too bad. Wish I could help. Getting ready to head back toward Florida and the boats, the 38 is back on ebay today, they had $1 insertion ebay motor ads this weekend. Crossing my fingers one more time.
 english lass
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/13/2008 7:54:12 PM
it sounds like a lot of fun and would be educational for the kids too
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:44:15 PM
I'm still planing on doing this, I've just been slowed down working on a new boat, and having trouble selling the old one. Got a couple people interested but they have to sell a house first. Nothing big is selling well. Jon
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/15/2008 7:24:26 PM
I'd chuck it all and sail around the world in a second.

Not with children.

While I love children, and have been a school teacher and mother,
and I love sailing, I cannot support this romantic notion.

Not out in the ocean or around the world.

Not appropriate for so many reasons.

Read some of the personal journals and accounts of the people who have done so, while many claim this to be a tremendous growing and learning experience there are thousands of other adults who will tell you those journey's are challenging on a healthy adult. And relating in the close confines of sailing...is a challenge as well - no matter how close you believe you are...

This is of course just my opinion, others will no doubt differ.
 thorman
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/15/2008 7:34:33 PM
leave the kids and im in
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 11:49:45 AM
There are a lot more drug runners with guns on our city streets, and all the stories about pirates are mostly stories. It makes for exciting stories, high seas and adventure and all. It's many times more dangerous for your children to play in the city park then to be on a sailboat. I've talked to many, many cruising boaters over the years and not one has personally run into anybody brandishing a gun in a hostile manner.

I'll admit that I would like to carry a gun on board, just because I grew up as a boy scout and believe in "be prepared," But mostly that would be for the mid eastern and south seas areas. There the people robbing you are not drug runners as much as they are just trying to survive. But there are certain countries in the world that don't want a person to have a gun and make it very difficult to visit that country if you do. If you lie about it and get caught you might end up in jail for years. If you tell the truth they will store the gun and you have to come back to get it. My choice if I carried a gun would be an SKS, but I know most likely if I had it and it was needed I wouldn't be able to get to it in time.

There is very little reason for a drug runner to approach a sailboat, and pirates in these waters would go after a boat that looks like money. I'll admit the boat I have now looks more like money then my old boat, but it's still just a sailboat, what can they expect to steal that would net them much. There are bigger fish to fry in the ocean than a cruising sailboat.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 12:42:46 PM
I'm still getting ready to go, If you check my website www.jheld.mysite.com you'll find out why I'm still here. You'll learn it's more than just a pipe dream. I found my dream boat, a 45 ft custom steel ketch built in Holland. When new it was $2.5 mil and I got it for $5K and lots of hard work. It's a beauty, not at all what you'd picture when I say 5k. Simply put it just wouldn't float and it was too big to move any other way, and the yard selling it had too many stipulations, saying it had to move in 30 days and you couldn't work on it there, to make anybody be interested. I've been working on it and the old boats to get them sold for a couple years. I had 3 boats when I bought the ketch. I still have one of my old boats I need to sell, I sold one. 2 boats is one too many, and I can't look after the 2nd one if I'm out cruising. The old one is a 38 ft fiberglass sloop priced at $20K, that's almost half the price of comparable boats but nothing is selling right now. Once I get that sold I'm ready to push off.

Tieing up all the lose ends to go sailing for 5 years sometimes takes a year or two, you just don't get in a boat and go if you have property (like a couple of houses and lots of sports cars) that you would like to be able to come back too after you get done with world exploring. The world will still be there next month. The most important thing in my life is finding someone to enjoy the trip with.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:08:17 AM
If you twisted my arm I might agree to a two-week cruise. Never with children. Don't have children, never wanted them.
 canoist
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:53:13 AM
Wow, Jheld. Sounds like a great reason for living.
I find myself in a similar situation. I dream of riding a bicycle around the world, and would love to find an adventurous woman to share the trip with!
And you're absolutely right, it is quite inexpensive. Free camping/sleeping on board, Transportation by your legs or the wind, Occasional repairs, and food.
Best of luck in your search for a first mate!
G
 briargate
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/30/2008 10:38:24 AM
I'm not that enthralled with being on a boat for long periods, though I could do that at some point once I inherit my father's diesel cruiser. But really, I would want the boat to go to a person that loved the sea life and would live near the coast. I live in the mountains and have no plans to live down low again.

But the notion of doing this is intriguing. I remember a National Geographic special that was about a family that did this in a sailing boat. They ended up in Holland going through the canals. That looked cool. Touring European rivers would be neat, providing you had cheap food purchased elsewhere! Sailing on the open ocean sounds potentially pretty dicey. What with satellite technology now, you could avoid the hurricanes and typhoons. The worst I think is it might be pretty dull.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2008 5:55:03 PM
I've finally got the 2 old boats sold and can concentrate on the 45. Should be setting sail early next spring. I'm in Kansas today, working on getting the house rented out to a friend. I'm still looking for the 1st mate.
 SueCat51
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2008 7:50:40 PM
OP - awesome!!! I'm allergic to young kids, so I won't be travelling the world with young kids in tow. However, I do love to travel, be it boat, plane, train, or car. Do I feel like "chucking it" and globe trotting??? Every day!!! For my 60th birthday, I plan on backpacking through Europe for 2-3 months!!!

Good luck on your sailing!!! You'll love it!!
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 3:29:27 PM
The 2nd boat is still being sold, it's a time sale deal. It will be paid in full late this fall. Since I'm stuck until then, I bought a smaller steel boat that needed some repair and have fixed it up, It'll be ready to be put on the market in about a month. It's a 27 ft sloop made in the same boat yard in Holland that my big boat was. You can see pictures of the repair work on my website. Finally I'm starting to see the day I'll be able to shove off and start this trip. Jon
 artist_48
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/14/2009 3:54:08 PM
Yeah. I think that it would be a great way to live for a couple of years.

And after that, plan several years in Wyoming, Montana or wherever it's next

decided to venture.

You only live once.

now it is time for me to do something similar myself after one last midlife crisis summer in Wyoming.

Good to know that a midlife crisis can not only be planned, but it has a known

ending as well.
 plursty
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/14/2009 9:43:55 PM
I had the great fortune to do just what you are describing! Some years ago my yoga instructors brother (I had not met him) was sailing across the Atlantic, and needed a sailing partner. I had no experience with sailing, but wrote him a letter basically signing myself up for the job. He wrote back telling me the ins and outs of the sailing world. We agreed we would give it a try, so I sold everything I owned, and met him on the East coast (I was in the Rocky mountains). What was to be 6 months turned into 4 years, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Words can't describe the lifestyle, and all that you encounter while living the life.

Along the way, we met a man, his wife, and their 5 boys (age range 13 - 3) all the boys were born and being raised on the boat. They were home/boat schooled, not to mention life schooled.

Happy Sailing jheld!
I look forward to your posts from across the oceans!
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 76
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:38:38 PM
Been thinking about it for a while now... The only problem i get sea sick real bad.. But a friend who spend more then 20 years at sea said your body gets used to it and then you are o.k. Maybe sail a small sail boat up the coast to Alaska and back should take 6 months.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2009 5:17:28 AM
I'm finally got the old boat sold, well almost, it's a time sale, more than half paid for, they will put it in a work yard to work on it in a couple months. I've bought a new one to fix up while waiting, it's a 27 ft custom dutch steel boat and will be for sale and sail real soon. It's something a solo sailor could comfortably circumnavigate in. Providing it sells, I should push off from Florida late this fall, head to the Islands and then up the east coast to Greenland and beyond. Have a great day. www.jheld.mysite.com Jon
 kpooks
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2009 11:28:26 AM
I've thought about doing this, but not with kids. The whining little youngsters would sorta kill the whole thing. Depends if the kids are down with it.

Bring lots of fresh water and sunblock lotion so Child Protective Services can't come in there and take the little devils away from ya for abuse!
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2010 6:07:13 AM
I guess when you find a good topic it hangs in there. I agree that I have never met a whinning kid on a boat.
Just to let you know I'm still around and working on this, I finally got one of my
old boats sold, one more to go. Earlier this spring I delivered the sold one across the gulf of Mexico. I was amazed how many oil wells are out in the gulf, I was less than 10 miles away from the well the blew up, a week before it blew. In order to give an idea how many wells that are out there, I would say that in the western half of the gulf there probably is not a place where you can't see at least one well. That would mean there is one at least every 15 miles or so, that's a huge number. I just did a google search and found out there are at least 27,000 abandonned ones, I was going to say 10,000 wells before I googled it. That might be close to the number of platforms out there, the platforms is really what I saw.

Jon
 mr.evil
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/23/2010 4:53:14 PM
Well I'll take a pass on the kids, but would be up for the sailing around the world. Anytime at all, would leave tomorrow if I could.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Chuck it all, Sailboat around the world With Kids