Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > havng piercing and dressing like a teenager in your forties, is that      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 12
view profile
History
havng piercing and dressing like a teenager in your forties, is that ok?Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
There's a young mother who lives in the same "complex" as I do, and she has two small boys (actually three, but the last is only a few months old). Her boys are aged 7 and 6, and both have their ear pierced on the left hand side. The six year old came over today, he's friends with my son, and I noticed his hair is now pitch black. Yesterday it was brown.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little strange?? I thought the pierced ears were a bit much, but now she's coloring their hair too?? I would never do either to my children, certainly not at this age. Once they are old enough to make an informed decision, I will let them decide.

Frickin' weird stuff.
 whatagirlwants07
Msg: 13
havng piercing and dressing like a teenager in your forties, is that ok?
Posted: 6/3/2007 4:21:17 PM
"It's a very thin line between individuality and making a damn fool of yourself. "

Well I think it's my individual right to make a damn fool of myself ....whenever I see fit.
 tdh46
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/3/2007 4:38:14 PM
"well i think it's my individual right to make a damn fool of myself....whenever i see fit"

Of course it is, i never said anything different. But it's my right to see piercings as a deal breaker. just as i see smoker, or people that use drugs. It's all about the rights as individuals.
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 4:53:25 PM
This is why I often go long periods without posting. Sorry if my story offended you eddie, I was merely posting a topic relevant (if a little removed) to the original OP.

I didn't post the mother's name, or her address. And you know what?? Seeing how her kids come here almost everyday after school because she's NOT home, I do worry about them.

I won't say anymore, don't want to be accused of being off-topic.

tdh, I agree with you about personal preferences. We all have our own. You merely posted a thread to get others opinions.
 tdh46
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/3/2007 5:08:23 PM
"oh so hot young babes has a right to bend over in front of you at a nude beach, but, if an elder should drop something they have no right to pick it up"

Where the hell did i say that.... i never said anything about the age of the person bending down in front of me.....I don't want anyone bending down in front of me at the nude beach, No hot babe or old granmother, no one period. Age has nothing to do with that, just all that hair in the wrong places. You should never bend down infront of someone while nude, it's just wrong at any age.

If you are going to chastise me DOPEY at least get my damn post right. before you start calling others "fools" try looking in the mirror.
 junipermoon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 5:10:41 PM

Actually I think you ought to worry less about other people's kids and just handle your business..... If the mother thought she needed your permission should probably would have asked for it.

Anything else going on in her house you want to tell us about?

wow...i guess someone forgot to ask permission to post a story she found relevant.

some of us do, from time to time, wonder about the trends we see in the aesthetics of those around us. i know i do. the op has as much right to not like piercings as his date has to like them.
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 5:59:30 PM
"Maybe the kid WANTED his hair a different color."

Ya know, you're right eddie. My seven-year-old wants me to let him stay home alone, eat junk food 24/7, and buy him a quad. Guess I should do these things, since he WANTS them, right?? He's certainly mature enough to make those decisions, dontcha think??

Sheesh.

Sorry for going off topic again OP.
 whatagirlwants07
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/3/2007 6:28:59 PM
It all has to do with how we were conditioned as children....what some think is ok others do not and that's everyones right as an american.We can choose to look, dress ,talk,believe what we want.

Now let's all play nice........

Oh yeah and .......Raven.........I love your look...it wouldn't work for me but you got it goin on girl...
 tdh46
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/3/2007 10:59:21 PM
Excellent points kame, i tend to fall in the same line of thinking.
 tdh46
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/4/2007 5:28:28 AM
"I think it's called MUTTON DRESSED AS LAMB". actually that anology might just fit. But it's kind of harsh.
 tdh46
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/1/2007 5:15:05 AM
I all know what works for us and i think a woman not acting her age does not work for me. I am somewhat conservative to begin with.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2007 9:51:50 AM
Does it matter what she looks like as long as she looks good in her clothes and doesn't look trashy?
 Tossed_Salad
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/19/2007 10:15:34 AM

I had tattoos, and even a piercing, WAY BEFORE they became the 'cool' thing for young people

funny now how many people claim they were "ahead of the trend".

there must be MILLIONS of people who did this "before it was cool" LOL :)

well it's a free country so people can do what they want, though it does strike me as sligtly pathetic..

I see women in their 40's (45-50) hanging out with their teenage daughters and their daughter's friends, obviously trying hard to be "one of the girls", hoping people will mistake her for a teenager..shopping at teenie-oriented stores like Urban Planet, etc.

using the same language, slang..when a 45-year old woman says she wants to "chillax" or something is "kife", or 'sick' or 'ill' (meaning 'cool' or 'good' ), etc., etc. it comes across as LAME
 Debbishoe
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2007 1:21:46 PM
For a lot of people, how you do your hair or what kind of clothes you wear are ways of expressing how you feel on the inside. No different then how you decorate your home. An expression of who you are. If you find it disturbing for whatever reason, then that person is probably not for you. She's telling you who she is by her piercings.

When I turned fifty, I had my nose pierced, I wear a tiny stud. For me it was a coming of age statement; I'm fifty, I'm secure in who I am and I have no problem expressing it.
 Tossed_Salad
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/23/2007 1:51:39 PM

The whole reason that lots of us got piercings and tats when we were young was 'cause we just didn't give a crap about what y'all middle-agers though anyways. I'm disappointed as heck to see all those beautiful, independent young women that I used to know give up on their freedom and cede to social pressure.

LOL, um, OK like it wasn't 'social pressure' (from a different part of "society") that caused them or y'all to get the piercings and tats in the first place. to fit in with YOUR 'group'

haven't seen too many people doing things that thousands of others in their wanna-be group aren't already doing

If you did it basically to 'upset' or show older people that you are 'different' you are still reacting to their thoughts about you.
 Fry Lock
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2007 2:35:37 PM
I have tattoos and piercings and grandkids; my stuff doesn't define me, but it IS part of who I am.

I have second job at one of the largest music venues in the midwest; we had a Nickelback concert this weekend, and they made us ALL take our facial piercings out.

They r gonna do the same thing for the Rage Against the Machine concert; I'll probably be the only one there with no pins in my face.

Taking em out cause you have to for work is one thing; but I have never had my pic taken without them, cause once I got em, that was that.

And a lot of the clothes I wear come from Hot Topic; but my stuff ain't hanging out all over.

That place carries clothes that correspond with my rock and roll lifestyle. If you don't like it, fine, but for the places I go and the people I hang out with, they would look at me like I had three heads if I showed up in mom jeans and a polo.

I'm just saying.

Fry
 tdh46
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/24/2007 8:00:22 PM
"I also go to the nude beach. I'm pretty sure I bend from the knees when i have to pick something up." God if we all lived by those rule it would be soooooooooooooo much easier.....BEND FROM THE KNEES WHILE PICKING SOMETHING UP AT A NUDE BEACH. It's the right thing to do and make the beach experience more pleasant for everyone.
 ExecutiveBiker
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/29/2007 8:21:35 AM
Who me? I am what I am and that's all what I am. I'm 44 and I just got my first tattoo at a music festival in Amsterdam. I have followed the Grateful Dead. Been to hundreds and hundreds of concerts and there's no signs of stopping. It's who I am! My daughter got me a harley Davidson Earring for Xmas - I don't think she is embarrassed by me.
My Bike is named Pococurante - it means "nonchalante" or I don't give a care what you think. Plenty of people love who I am. And the ones that don't are of no concern to me. As a Zen meditation student I have learned that a non-judgemental stance and total acceptance are important steps on the path to enlightenment.
Peace
Jonny
 R2000
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 10:46:11 AM
Ooooh, a resurrected thread. I like this one. I thought props to the OP for getting past his original impression.

Until last year, I was stuck in a rut. I cut my hair the same way, wore the same clothes, and listened to the same music as I did 20 years ago. Last year as my marriage was foundering, I was growing and I found myself wanting to make some changes. I changed how I wear my hair a little. I didn't get crazy, just some gel and a little bit spiked up. I bought some new clothes that are a little more flamboyant and fashionable. I got tired of classic rock and started listening to Punk and Indie stuff.

These days, I'm continually evaluating my look and trying new things. It's very easy to get stuck in a rut.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that the defining trait of someone old is how much they are set in their ways. Sure, they may be chronologically old and in the waning years of life, but, if they are continually trying new things and exploring new things, then, they are probably going to be a young older person and enjoying life.

In my opinion, the bigger question of what is appropriate is tied up with the question why. If what you do is an expression of who you are, most people will be OK with it. If what you're doing is from an attempt to cover up or mask some insecurity, then most people are going to see it as weird.
 OutMind
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/4/2009 1:12:17 PM

OP, I just think there's NOTHING worse than someone desperately trying to regain youth by doing all sorts of crazy things to your body. Maybe she's having a mid-life crisis?

You know what. I find this to be ridiculous. If you are a woman and can still look like you are in your 20 and happen to be in your forties, well, flaunt it, be proud of it, enjoy it. My gf, for instance, just got a new tattoo. Of a pink ribbon.
 BONZAII
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 9:02:58 AM
I have to laugh as I read some of these postings.. becuase there is a GREAT many things here that matter in this scenario. Is it ok for someone to be dressing a certain way when our age should define another course by popular perception? The answer is YES, be yourself... BUT, the TRUTH behind a lot of these women who dress this way isn't becuase it's just a style.. LOL and MOST would lie to you... but the TRUTH is a lot dress this way becuase they have some inner conflict with their aging self. Now I am going to get LAMBLASTED by several, and guess what, they'll be the EXACT ones I am talking about. :)

secondly if you are in your twenties, how on God's green Earth could you possibly have enough worldly introspective to post a comment?? SERIOUSLY NOW!!!! It would have no merit as your not in your 40's and old enough to understand our generation, our maturity or life for that matter.. OF COURSE you agree, you ARE the twenty year olds they are trying to emulate!!!...LOL Come back when you're 40 and life has had some time to be your teacher.. ;)

But I digress here.. Back on point..... There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with someone wanting to be their own free spirit, and if you are a matured man who doesn not find this a comfortable fit, then like all of us, you have te right to seek out your preference in a mate also. Should be no hard feelings to the person who wishes to dress this way or the person who does not find this style appealing... after all, isn't this a preference???

BUT, for those of you who dress this way becuase you don't see "beautiful" when you look in the mirror becuase you are now an aging woman instead of that vibrant twenties something woman, you need more than any piercing or butt hugging jeans could ever give you.... ;) And yes, I know, this will make ALL their defenses come up, they'll tell me I am WRONG, an insensitive jerk, etc... but truths aren't always pretty, BUT they are still truths... As a person who went to school for psychology I can tell you that it is my profession that left the WORST mark on society called "APPEASEMENT". And if you want PROOF that this causes damage, then simply watch American idol. For years people tell these young hopefuls that they can SING, their voices are BEAUTIFUL, and then when REALITY is presented to them, they not only cry, but their bodies shake in mental agony and they are in total disblief.. the saying says choose being KINd over being RIGHT... Are we genuinely being kind when we lie??? Or are we doing more harm than good??? How about just striving a little bit harder and being KIND ad being RIGHT and not allowing ourselves to cross either line??? Wouldn't that be more truthfully valuable to our friends, our spouse, our co-workers, etc??

So to wrap this all up and jump off my soapbox... ;) Let's say this... SEXY isn't in WHAT you are wearing, but rather in wearing what you have on.... ;) Meaning, sexy can be a $5,000 business suit or a simple T-shirt that's a little too big and slightly too revealing... it's the CONTENT SPIRIT of the person and their ability to be comfortable in their own skin that makes someone SEXY... :) Fake colored Eyes, Fake Breasts, Wigs, Fake personalities, Acting other than our spirits direct us to, all these are things that may on the surface attract someone to you... BUT KEEPING SOMEONE, that's what is important!!!... and that only comes when you make sure that the outside of you harmonizes with the inner beauty of you... ;) God Bless all!!!

Chris
 browneyesboo
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/18/2009 8:12:38 AM
Who gets to decide what is the ridiculous stage?
Nothing wrong with doing what you personally like
with your own body.
No one else has to like it...no one else has to follow
your trend.
There's nothing wrong with being different and doing
your own thing...especially when no one else is hurt
in the process.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/18/2009 8:34:20 AM
Why does everyone else seem to care so much what someone is doing when it is not hurting anyone?

This is just crazy to me.

Mind your own fukcing business, people! lol

I think it's hilarious that people say I'm an azz for judging people based on their past actions, but then some of these same people apparently like to judge others on what they wear.

Irony? Tragic, that is.
 Tarah0128
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 2:00:26 PM
It's important for people to be who they are and to be comfortable in your own skin

It's not right to try and change someone's style ~ just look for someone who is more your "type"

If you don't like someone's style or if they don't like yours ~ no big deal. There are many different types people for everyone
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/18/2009 2:06:26 PM
it's a preference.

just because YOU may not like doesn't mean everyone feels the same.

there's only one person in the whole world who should like it and that's the person themselves.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > havng piercing and dressing like a teenager in your forties, is that ok?