Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Mexican vs. American Fenders      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mitch97
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Mexican vs. American FendersPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Are the Mex as good as American? I have a Mex Jazz bass and it sounded better than the American when I A/B'd them. I'd like a new Strat though.

Right now I have a 40th Anniversary Strat plus (American made), and I wanted to know if the fact that it's an anniversary model if it will increase in value over time.
 Strange Days
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mexican vs. American Fenders
Posted: 6/8/2007 9:29:02 AM
I agree about the Mex. basses, have a J that I love. The guitars, are another matter. The Am. guitars are the best sounding/playing. The Standard series are great, the custom-shop stuff, amazing.
Try some Jap. guitars if you can find them. They are some of the nicest guitars I've ever played. I have a Squire Japan Jagmaster that outplays many much more expensive axes.
 mitch97
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2007 5:04:13 PM
I don't believe Squiers/Asian strats are better than Mex. Jimmie Vaughn endorses a Mex right? I heard Squiers are bottom of the barrel.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/18/2007 11:28:44 PM
MIM you get a guitar made in Mexico ,by a Mexican.

MIA you get a guitar made in America, by a Mexican.

90% of the audience will never hear the difference.

70% of the people will wonder why there are three guitar player (no idea what a bass is)
 mitch97
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:32:26 PM
yeah my mexican jazz bass kills it.
 Strange Days
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 4:57:26 AM
-LATE-

My Jagmaster is one of the Vista series MIJ Squires. They were made in the same factory as the higher-end Jap stuff. Are you familiar w/ those? Real steals. It is a great guitar. Stock.

And back to the thread: A good guitar is a good guitar. I also have a '78 Ibanez Artist, that is a little neck-heavy, but an amazing guitar. It doesn't kill every Les Paul. Let's be realistic, but it is truly in the same leauge for sound/playability. I remember LATE's comments in another thread about a 70's Ibanez he really likes. A hollowbody I think.
If you're going to buy a cheap guitar and upgrade it, buy the real thing instead. A Mex Strat w/ lace sensors or something is still a Mex. The real thing will go up in value.
 mitch97
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:40:11 AM

I don't see a point in having a fancy schmancy vintage guitar if it's just sitting there collecting dust....

Amen! Although I'm guilty of babying my instruments when i first get them I don't want to worry about dings cause I'd rather just JAM with them! I just think of SRV's strat and how much character it had.
 late™
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/25/2010 7:34:54 AM

...and how do recent mexican strat necks hold up against the US ones?.

They don't even come close to the fit/finish of the US or MIJ necks.

what about Allparts necks?

"Allparts" stuff tends to be entry-level quality, like some of the bottom drawer Stew-Mac stuff, ...cheap but crappy, and usually not vintage specs.. Companies that make "licensed by Fender" (Like; Allparts, Lasido, etc.) necks are only paying for the right to mimic the headstock shape(s), it's not an indication of quality, they are often no better than the Mex necks.

Best to try Warmoth if you want quality (and actual vintage specs - esp. fb radius), it's a few more $s but if you don't need anything particularly "exotic", they're really quite reasonable (under $175). Check out the "Showcase" pages of their website, ...you can view the specific neck (and specs) before purchasing, ...pretty much the only place you can do that that isn't "bricks n' mortar".
 late™
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/25/2010 8:16:02 PM

even a good MIJ neck would be worthy before a MIM,you reckon?...

Absolutely, if you want a vintage re-issue ('62 -7.25" radius, "spaghetti frets"), they're (late '80s to mid '90s MIJ RI) even more accurate than the US ones. The give-away is the way the slab-board is shaped where it meets the headstock.

Warmoth has been around since the early 80s, their necks are guaranteed for life, you get what you order and you get to at least SEE what you're getting before you buy and it ships. I've owned '50s, '60s and '70s American strats, they can nail any spec you want.

Good luck finding an MIJ RI though, I lucked into my left-handed one because I had a few people looking (ha ha), actually it took over a year, maybe two, ...to get the lefty (I wasn't looking for a lefty specifically, glad I found it though, ...lefty necks "do" different things on a strat).

Here's my; Left-handed '91 MIJ RI neck strat, the body is a '58 Fender (alder), Lace (gold) equipped.

http://homepage.mac.com/ewald/.Pictures/frank.jpg
 late™
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/26/2010 11:05:19 AM
cool pic, nice combo with the amp...

That's a '53 Fender Champ from a friend's studio (he has an extensive arsenal of "tweeds", a '53 Deluxe, '56 Vibrolux, '57 Tremolux and even a few late '40s Fender Champs)

so the lefty necks go alright on a righty strat?

The only modification required is to put a new nut in.

interesting.... tell me more of your theory.

It's just plain ol' leverage/physics.

Okay, ...all guitars have "pitch-points" (pitch refers to "angle" here, not notes), the angle where the string passes over the bridge saddle, the angle of the neck/body joint and the angle that the string passes over the nut to the machine head shaft (also important here is the length of the string from the nut to the post), it's this last pitch-point where things change on a lefty neck.

This is where it gets a little confusing, 'cause it has to do with pitch-drop (pitch meaning "notes" this time) ratios and strat whammy bars.

With a right-handed, right-strung neck, the distance to the low E string is shortest and the angle from the nut to the string post is the more "acute" or bent - the the distance to the high E string is longest and the angle from the nut to the string post is the more "obtuse" or straight (this often requires the use of one or two "string-trees" in order to increase the angle of the unwound strings in order to keep them from "singing" behind the nut and/or popping out of the nut slot).

Okay, when you "drop the bar", (lower the notes on the strings), the pitch (note), of each string drops at a different ratio - dependent on angle/length of string from the nut to the post.

(stay with me here....)

So, on a standard-strung, standard-neck, the pitch (note) of the low notes is more extreme ...mostly due to there being more "slack" being that there is less string distance to spread the tension change. So you can bottom out the low E string to almost completely slack if you drop the bar all the way down, yet on the high E, the pitch (note) will probably only drop a single note.

Reverse the headstock and you get different pitch-drop (note) ratios, (...something Hendrix always exploited because he played "righties").

There are a few more interesting "effects" you can do, all very "musical" sounding (there are two triad forms that you can modulate down a (almost perfect) whole step/minor to major). Also, with a neck that's strung reverse, string trees aren't a necessity (which is cool for bending notes up behind the nut).

I'm not sure which company made it

It sounds like it's a good quality neck, can you upload a pic?
 late™
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/27/2010 12:32:24 AM

I thought Jimmy's main advantage with the trem was that it was under his forearm (on the top) while he played and didn't need to grab it with his pick hand... subtle arm pressure while playing would create an effect a righty couldn't copy.

Nawww... there's always different ways to do this, but ...physics? ...no work-around for that one.

THAT NECK IS SICK!!!!

You should try to find a bird's-eye pickguard (I got one, oh 'bout ...3 decades ago back when Warmoth was called "Boogie Bodies", I put it on a '71 strat I had at the time that had a very highly figured maple neck/fb).
 late™
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/27/2010 9:41:24 AM

any idea on the headstock logo?

Dude, I don't have a clue. I was curious enough to crop the logo and run it through the "tineye" search engine, ..."0" results on the logo. I doubt it has anything to do with BHefner guitars.

It could be someone's initials, like a "one-off"? ...I thought it might be related to Joe Veillette, but I don't think so. There's no markings on the back where it bolts on?

AUD $144

A steal, for just that solid plank of alder, ...that neck was probably around $350+ new, seriously, that is some SICK figuring on it, it's curly AND birdseye, ....that is a sweet looking neck.
 late™
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/29/2010 11:43:02 AM
RE: "Tuners"

If you measured the holes first and got the exact right size, ignore the following (or if you already know about using a reamer).

If you got tuners that have a larger diameter shaft than the holes can accommodate, do not drill the holes out!; using a drill bit, especially without a press, can cause the wood to split sometimes = not worth the risk. The best way to safely enlarge the holes is with a reamer, see:

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_3lg/0429_3lg.jpg

...just a heads up.

If you don't have a reamer, use the correct sized "twist" bit (probably 10mm), and go really slow and really straight.
 late™
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/30/2010 11:37:05 AM

I'm with you there... ta..
the measurement of the peg holes is a tight 10mm . 9.5 maybe... not the smaller holes...
so the tuners which I hope come in the post monday morning ,along with 2 bridges I bought to try, will fit ok without too much reaming or drilling.... and I can fit the neck.,.

I brought this part of the thread to the "gear head" thread, it makes more sense there...

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/threadlevel.aspx?postID=223561&ref=0&PageIndex=101
 joemac356
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 4:37:37 PM
A few years ago, I was shopping all the local outlets for a Telecaster. I'd found one at a local store and was seriously thinking of buying it, but something told me to wait.
I realised that there was a Guitar Center that I hadn't checked out, yet. I thought I'd give them a look-see, in case they had what I was looking for, which was a 'burst Telly.
Whilst waiting for the guy to bring such a guitar from the back, that was on lay-away, but never picked up, I perused the Fender wall. I decided to pull down a nice-looking 'burst Strat to while away the time.

By the time the guy showed up with the Telly, the Strat had sold itself to me. I hadn't even looked at the hang tags or the headstock lettering.
It turned out it was a MIM that had been returned. It was mint, even having the sticker still in place on the pickguard. The only thing I didn't care for was the white pickguard.
I decided to let the decision hang on if they had a tortoise shell 'guard in stock.
They had several, so I chose the one I liked and bought the guitar.
Since it was a return, they couldn't sell it as new. I got the Strat with the guard for $299.

I've been playing guitar since 1959 and owned probably two-hundred over the years.
This Mexican Strat is absolutely perfect in every respect, from fit and finish, fretwork, ease of playing and it sustains until tomorrow. I've had the opportunity to A/B it against a half-dozen or so American Strats, an early nineties MIJ Strat and the American Standard Telly that I ended up getting after the Strat.

Let's just say that it sounds at least as good as any of the others, better in most cases, and is infinitely easier to play than any of them. After five years of use, it's holding up extremely well. It stays in tune for days at a time and even after heavy use of the vibrato, which is more than can be said for many of them. I know that that's frequently the fault of the setup (or lack of).

Then again, it's not what you play, it's how you play.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 2:33:32 PM

Then again, it's not what you play, it's how you play.

Exactly.

I may not have been playing since 1959, but I've been playing for 20 years now. I own 8 guitars, including a MIM Strat, and a limited edition Schecter Hellraiser V.

Oddly enough, my Squire Standard Strat Black/Chrome is my favorite guitar to play. You could buy 6 of the Squires with the money spent on the MIM Strat and Schecter, but for some reason I just enjoy playing it more. Who knows why..

It's all about the person playing the guitar, and if they're truly feeling what they're playing. Once you learn to let your emotions out through the instrument, you can play a $99 beginner guitar and sound great.

SleepyMcGee
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2011 10:52:52 AM
Generally speaking, I've found a lot of the newer Squier models (Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe) to be a lot better quality than MIM Fenders, at around the same pricepoint. Squier has really stepped their game up and is putting out quality guitars for bargain basement prices.

Plenty of people can feel and hear the difference in top tier models though. And the resell value is much better. I can appreciate a guitar as a piece of art as some of the custom shop sort of stuff really is but I want something I'm not going to be afraid to bang up a bit when I'm in the studio.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Mexican vs. American Fenders