Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 London Lass 59
Msg: 213
Dating a SmokerPage 4 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
awolf, yes Chantix works. I have several patients who were heavy smokers totally quit after using Chantix. It is a great med but expensive, some insurance companies will pay, others not, but it is the only smoking cessation med that I have seen good results from. It works in a very different way to all the other meds patches and gum. Chantix actually blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain, therefore lessening the cravings. If you take Chantix, you have to stop smoking after the first two weeks, then you go on a maintenence dose untill you have totally quit. It can and has been done.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 215
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 9/21/2007 9:25:52 PM
Tramp, of course you have the right to do something you enjoy, heck we all do. By the way, we are not preaching, just stating facts, I'm sorry if you and the other smokers on this post are offended by that, and you obviously are, as you are all in a defensive mode, trying hard to justify.........

Do you really enjoy inhaling all that nicotine, tar and carcinogens ?? Have you seen the black tar filled lungs of a smoker? Have you taken care of patients with chronic lung disease who cannot breathe, or the cancer patient who's lungs are full of tumors?

I guess not huh.........
 London Lass 59
Msg: 219
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 9/21/2007 10:01:43 PM
Again tall, it's not a personal attack on anyone, just stating medical and scientific facts, as I have done in all my posts on this thread.

I'm sorry if the smokers amongst you have a problem with that.

Going back to the op's origional question , would I date a smoker? again I will state heck no!!

London Lass 59
Msg: 221
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 9/22/2007 2:34:08 PM
Pop , I applaud you for realising that smoking is a problem for you, and are interested in the med Chantix. This is a prescription only med, although expensive, it really does work. You might want to talk to your doctor about getting started on it. As I have said in previous posts, it works differently to the patch or gum. There is no nicotine in Chantix, and it is used to block the nicotine receptors in the brain, therefore lessening your craving and addiction.

Good luck to you, and mucho kudos if you mangage to kick this addiction!
 London Lass 59
Msg: 222
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 9/22/2007 3:35:33 PM
Paz, yes there are side effects with Chantix, as there are side effects with most meds. The most appreciable ones with Chantix are nausea and insomnia. Most of these side effects usually diminish after a few weeks making the med more tolerable. I have had patients quit taking it because of the side effects. Two patients actually restarted the med after a couple of months, toughted it out that time, and both have successfully quit. Please don't let the side effects prevent you guys from at least trying it.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 225
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 9/23/2007 9:16:19 AM
Of course you smokers have the right to smoke, just as much as we non-smokers have the right to object to having to breathe in your smoke. People are going to do whatever they want to do, whether it is good or bad for them. As a nurse, I am obviously going to continue to educate my patients about smoking, I don't want to see them prematurly end up as my hospice patients....... I have a 42 yr old dying from lung cancer, started smoking when he was 14 years old. You can leave it up to God if you choose, or you can do something to help yourself before that happens.

To the posters on here who are working on quitting or who have already quit, I commend you......
 txquietguy
Msg: 227
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 9/23/2007 10:31:11 AM
I smoke and recently had a gal tell me the ashtray thing... as someone else said, whatever floats your boat, but I don't need to be told it's bad, etc, etc, etc.

Afterwards, I mailed her an ashtray... she can kiss that henceforth.

DON'T DATE a smoker to begin with, PERIOD.

Be nice to have some consideration for that persons feelings and not let a relationship grow (or even begin), then blow him/her outta the water, thus hurting feelings and a persons heart.

To me, that's game playing.

My 2 cents.

quietguy
 A REAL ROMEO
Msg: 234
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 7/6/2008 6:22:57 AM
Every freaking smoker on here that is trying to defend that crappy, nasty, smelly habit is full of crap themselves and YOU ALL KNOW IT!

Each and every time you are sitting alone, in front of your computer, crusing the web, when you take that break to rest your ass cheeks and you go pick-up a bottle of Windex to clean your monitor while using toilet paper or some other soft clean tissue...

When you see all that tar and nicotine gunk on the cloth... When you see the trails of scum that has built up on your computer, the phone nearby, your other hardware or even your television across the room... YOU FEEL DISGUSTED, pissed-off and mad as hell because of the habit of smoking.

Moreover you feel hate and discontent against the fat cats in North Carolina that are raking in BILLIONS of YOUR DOLLARS each MONTH because YOU are TOO WEAK TO QUIT!

You all know you want to drop this nasty-assed, disgusting, stinking habit. You all KNOW it takes willpower and discipline but you all feel you lack what it takes!

You all know that at the drop of the hat that ANY tense moment you are going to grab for the butts in the ashtray and your rolling papers to roll the crap left over and smoke whatever you can find when you are out of smokes... You will smoke the damn ashes if you had to!

The truth is? You all CAN STOP SMOKING... You and your self-esteem will NEVER be on better ground as when you just flip that little switch in your head and say to yourself that these **stards in the cigarette industry are NOT going to make another "fu...ng dime off of me"...

I tried to quit HUNDREDS of times over a 35 year period. Hell, I could have quit when I was in Marine Corps Bootcamp, but they gave us an option to smoke... And yes! We enjoyed that "buzz"...

But the bottom line is, you won't stop until you are ready to stop. I figured QUITTING was too permanent, so I gave myself an open-ended option. I decided to STOP as QUITTING was permanent and I didn't want to break my word to myself... So I, "stopped". Giving myself the option of starting again whenever I wanted to.

That was November 2005 and I have been around smokers and all the after-effect crap and you know what? I have NEVER been more disgusted than when I witnessed a casual smoker go outside my house to smoke and then walk back in...

WHAM! That stench hit me like a rock in the face. I never felt so bad all those years that I have been doing that to my girlfriends, family members, children and others...

I am now on the "other side" and it's OK! It's OK for you guys to give up the BS battles of trying to defend that nasty-assed habit, put them down and not quit, but STOP for a little while.

It's OK to leave them in the kitchen cupboard and go watch a movie with a huge bowl of popcorn to munch on.

Hell, I put down cigarettes and picked-up on bags of carrots. Strange as it was... Carrots I could take antwhere and munch on anyplace I went. It worked for me. It can work for you... You just have to decide when you want to STOP, put em down and go about doing something different in your lives.

Better yet? You will be welcomed BACK to the other side of life where all of us Ex-Smokers are now living... Come on in! It's great!
 London Lass 59
Msg: 235
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:35:09 AM
^^^^^^^ DrWhoopie, I applaud you.........

Thank you for being so blunt in your post, and hammering home the nasty facts about smoking to all the smokers out there who continue to defend their disgusting habit. As a healthcare provider and a daughter who lost her mom at an early age from smoking related heart disease, I am forever on the anti-smoking bandwaggon..........

Kudos to you for having the willpower and determination to quit.

Welcome to the nicer, cleaner side of the fence!!
 forum101
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:49:38 AM
I am a smoker. I have dated numerous nonsmokers. Not one of them didnt kiss me because I smoke. I work closely with other employees, and they are surprised when I say I'm going to take a smoke break. They had no idea I smoked, even though they were working side by side with me. I have quit smoking. Have smelled it on others, I didnt think it smelled bad, it just initiated that feeling of longing for a minute or two. It is not as bad as smelling strong perfume on someone, the kind that gets into your nostrils and irritates.
Sorry OP, but you do sound a bit judgemental of smokers now. Guess your better than us lowly smokers. Dont fall of that pedestal. Lots of exsmokers go back to smoking. I am one of them. Stress and tough times, your old friend is there, waiting for you. Dont get me wrong, I am cheering for anyone who has quit, for a day, a week, a month, a year. Or even if they are just trying to quit. I just have a problem with high horses.
 Patsfan70
Msg: 239
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 7/11/2008 12:54:00 PM
I smoke , but that doesn't mean I would pass on dating someone that did not, because that person could be great & maybe the one you would be happy with!! It all comes down to preference.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 240
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 7/11/2008 2:43:42 PM
Not reading all of the posts, but wanted to say I have been on both sides of the playing field with this one....a smoker, and a non-smoker...and ex smokers are the WORSE anti-smokers! lol

I have seen profiles and met people who, it seemed we would mesh in an incredible way...and then, "NO SMOKERS" is seen/said and I move on. I would NEVER try to force my habit on someone who despises such...but I have to admit it is kind of sad to think that other than this habit, two people could otherwise be wonderfully matched!

Would I quit if I met someone who I really dug, and they hated it? I have done it before, with no regrets...just hated the look on his face every time I lit one up. However, it would not happen immediately, and it would have to be on MY terms, not his, that I quit.

But I can empathize with this, as I would not be flexible on my specific "dealbreakers" either...such as someone who smoked marijuana, did other social drugs, wanted children, etc.

However...there ARE courteous smokers!!!!!! I am one of them! I ask before lighting, if one will bother them...and I smoke outdoors when possible. I consistently chew gum to freshen my breath, spray a light body mist or perfume, and I smoke menthol which do not have as harsh of a scent or after smell. (I HATE non menthol smoke in my home...it clings like no other!) I do NOT taste like an ashtray when kissed! ;) lol
 songbird0172
Msg: 241
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 7/11/2008 2:54:23 PM
I dated a smoker when I was younger, first love and all, but HATED that he smoked. I made him brush his teeth and shower before even coming near me. Several years later (after dating non-smokers), I started dating someone who was "trying to quit" Well needless to say he really wasn't trying (at least not around me). I ended it. He was a great guy but just couldn't do it. I had a grandmother and mother both die from complications of emphysema. Never again will I date someone that smokes or is "trying to quit".
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/5/2008 9:07:03 PM
I became a nonsmoker Jan 1, 2000. I had quit many times, during my 30 plus years as a heavy smoker, but the cardiac arrhythmia was beginning to concern me; I was having premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) about every thirty seconds. It's not a pleasant sensation.
Within weeks of smoking my last cigarette, my last cigar, my last pipe, ever, the arrhythmia cleared up, and hasn't bothered me since- until a couple of weeks ago, when I was forced to ride in a van with several smokers, 10 to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. By the second week the PVCs were back with a vengeance (I understand it's the carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke that triggers them).

I decided I don't want to make money for people who blow smoke in my face (and if I can smell it, it's in my face), so I left that job.

I can't think of any rational reason why I should be exposed to someone else's toxic cloud of death -while I'm conducting business, or shopping, or seeking entertainment, in any kind of public place, or in any private place of business that wants my patronage.

So I won't date smokers; not because I'm on a power trip, or because I enjoy being a demanding @sshole, but for my health. And I don't see any reason to apologize for my objection to smoking around me.
 texastomich
Msg: 244
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/6/2008 8:36:39 AM
yuck no way...no offense to anyone, thats one of my must's though that the person is a non smoker
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 245
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/6/2008 8:53:46 AM
Well, again...I completely empathize and respect choices, be it preferences for a non-smoker or other.

However...I think it truly sad when some get on their soap boxes about smoking, when there ARE courteous smokers, such as myself. My roomate, a NS, has offered to let me smoke in her car...I refuse. I do continue to smoke in my own home, but we compromised and bought an air cleaner, use many air fresheners, and I do not smoke in HER areas. My friend Sherry brought her grandson to MY home...I did not smoke near him. I never light up in someone's car or home when they are NS. I empty my ashtrays and clean all smoking residue, daily. I do not flick butts out my window or in parking lots. I keep myself fresh with mints, sprays, teeth brushing. And...I will quit when I am READY to quit. And YES, I CAN. And yes...dating a non-smoker will be additional encouragement to do so. :)
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 247
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:02:02 PM
And you have the RIGHT to make that CHOICE, hon! Please, allow ME the right to exercise MY choice, while it is still a right! :)

Oh...and btw...people come into my house and automatically assume I smoke outdoors...because MY HOME DOES NOT STINK, nor do I. :)
 London Lass 59
Msg: 248
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:13:26 PM
However...I think it truly sad when some get on their soap boxes about smoking, when there ARE courteous smokers, such as myself.

With all due respect Harley, there is no such thing as a courteous smoker.........even when you smoke outside, we still have to breathe in that polluted air! You say that neither you or your home stink of smoke, of course not, not with all the air freshners , mints and sprays that you are using...... Just think what the smell would be like without them, enough to make you gag perhaps?
 London Lass 59
Msg: 252
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/8/2008 2:39:01 PM

One thing is very apparent as I read through some of these disgustingly self-righteous posts: there will always be those whose lives are SO empty that they have to bash others to feel better about themselves.

You know Validar, why do smokers always have to go on a tirade to defend their disgusting habit?? I am a healthcare provider and I lost my mom when she was only 52 to smoking related heart disease, so I will always be anti smoking, shame that you feel the need to vent in such an uneducated manner!!
 tallhorseman42
Msg: 253
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/8/2008 2:39:03 PM
well i figure it this way,you smoke nazis have a right to your opinion,BUT,guess what so do those of us who smoke,i have quit before and will again i don't smoke around ns and never will,and as for the smell it smells no worse than overdoses of perfume or colgne talk about air pollution so you non smokers take yer soap box and... well you have the idea,I have just as much right to my opinion and the defense of it as you do to yours party on and have a drink and lighten up
 London Lass 59
Msg: 256
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/8/2008 6:14:31 PM
I sincerely hope your mother wasn't subjected to your barrage of insults before her passing

Well thank you for your sensitivity on this one, again you have just proved yourself to be both ignorant and uneducated!! My mother knew that she was killing herself by smoking but she could not quit, she did not need me to tell her, but thank you for pointing that out!! I was there when she took her last breath, both as a compassionate caregiver and also a grieving daughter.........

Please preserve us all from the arrogance and the ignorance that people like you bring.........
 kellygrl51
Msg: 259
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/9/2008 8:58:01 AM
I don't smoke, but I've never been bothered by a smoker either. They smoke outside where I work far away from the builiding and are very respectful of the non-smokers.I doubt I'd date a smoker, but I wouldn't give them a hard time about their addiction either. I think those who use to smoke give smokers the hardest time.....
 Vannili
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/9/2008 9:31:38 AM
I don't think I will date a guy who smokes ,because smokes makes me sick,I can't breath and I have sneezing attacks. When I am in the club dancing I get sick for a week because of the cigarrette smokes even I am on the dance floor all the time .
 ryansmsk
Msg: 262
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/9/2008 1:11:01 PM
haven't actually dated a smoker and i myself don't smoke . but still had some experiences over the years . was this one girl from work that i liked , was weird when i first meet her i don't recall or remember her smoking . but as the year went on she suddenly would be spotted smoking at work or at the bar . it all seemed odd to me and didn't increase my level of attraction to her , although i still liked her just found her new found habit of smoking odd and unhealthy.
 techgirl27
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Dating a Smoker
Posted: 11/9/2008 1:21:47 PM
I haven't done it yet. I'm starting to consider more avenues and types of people, but I also look at if there are spelling mistakes in their profiles or emails, and get a feel for their general level of interest and overall intelligence. If someone who I thought would really work for me in many ways turned out to be a smoker, I would give them a try and see if it hampered our relations or not.

Two rules would still have to apply: no smoking in my car or my apartment.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >