Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fsu1965
Msg: 74
what is a cougar exactly?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Now that's the right attitude.
 cutensxy
Msg: 77
view profile
History
what is a cougar exactly?
Posted: 6/15/2007 8:25:47 PM
Thx dreamerxoxoxo for reassuring me that us "older" men are not necessarily "an endangered species"

I can only speak for myself . . .age is actually irrelevant to me

I'd like to hear from some of the other Cougar posters to know if they share your feelings to my question

Now I'm curious if Cougars confine their relationships strictly to younger guys.....
 eb3267
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/16/2007 12:24:44 AM
Cougar = a woman who thinks and acts like a man.

No I hate to differ but that would be a Mangina !! ( Woman / Vagina with a mans attitude when it comes to sex ) LMAO
 eb3267
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/16/2007 4:14:20 PM
Gives Pour a high five !!!

I had one of them too (26 year old), but he wanted baby's.
I have a soon to be 21 year old, no babys for me.. Oh h*ll no !!
 cutensxy
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:00:44 PM
Hi Pour,
I asked this question earlier.

Now I'm curious if Cougars confine their relationships strictly to younger guys.....
Question is do I have to be under 30 to sugar you up?

I'm a 52 y.o. guy from Canada and can at times act a bit immature. May I stand a chance, and also, how do you feel about maple syrup?
 tranquility_now
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2007 9:27:39 PM
there are so many definitions but in my def it's a woman who's not your typical 'teenybopper'.
I'd put her in her mid/late 30s all the way up to late 40s and even early 50.
They are usually more experienced, they don't bullsh*t/know exactly what they want and go for it.

I've been with a 45 year old when I was in my mid 20s and let me tell you, sex is a whole different level.
 EC22
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/17/2007 8:35:03 AM

It has nothing to do with YOUR age, it has to do with your preference for younger men. A cougar is a woman that is interested in younger guys.

If you go after 18 year olds, then you'd be considered a cougar at age 30 by most people. If you went after 30 year olds you'd have to be in your 40's or higher to a cougar. So THEIR age and YOUR age determines cougar status.

How many 30 yr old women go after 18 yr old men? In the United States, a 18 yr old can't legally go to a bar. A lot of women would consider 18 yr old men to be too immature. One reason why cougars often go after younger men is that being with a younger man makes them feel young again. From the sex to the lifestyle and interests. A 30 yr old woman is still pretty young. The vast majority of cougars I've seen or heard about are in their late 30s, 40s, and early 50s.
 dpd22
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/17/2007 10:46:59 AM

How many 30 yr old women go after 18 yr old men?

I agree. Besides a few female teacher / male student relationships, I doubt many 30+ yr old females would go after a 18 yr old man. I think the older the people are, the age difference becomes a smaller factor. For example, there is a big difference between a 30 yr old woman dating a 20 yr old man and a 40 yr old woman dating a 30 yr old man.

The 20 yr old man is probably immature, financially dependent on his parents, naive about many things etc. The 30 yr old woman probably wouldn't be "too active" for men around her age and probably wouldn't date a younger man just to make herself feel younger since she is still relatively young. If she is dissatisifed with men around her age, then IMO she would probably go after older men since men much younger than her would probably be too immature.

The 30 yr old man could be financially independent, stable, mature, and likes older women who are successful, mature and wise. The 40 yr old woman could be very active and have the same lifestyle and interests with younger men. Many 40 yr old women are confident to begin with, but being with a younger man can increase her confidence about her looks even more.

Another factor is the math. A 45 yr old woman would obviously have a lot more potential younger dates than a 30 yr old woman. If a 45 yr old woman is having problems dating with people her age, then she might look for a younger man in his early 40s, 30s, or maybe even his late 20s in some cases. Most potential dates for a 30 yr old are around her age, slightly younger ( such as mid 20s ), or older. The only potential dates for a 30 yr old women that are much younger are men in their early 20s.
 EC22
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/17/2007 11:29:42 AM
I forgot to include the bold statements from my previous post.

How many 30 yr old women go after 18 yr old men? In the United States, a 18 yr old can't legally go to a bar. A lot of women would consider 18 yr old men to be too immature. Some women would date a younger man if he was mature. For example a 40 yr old woman dating a 28 yr old man who is successful, independent, responsible, etc. One reason why cougars often go after younger men is that being with a younger man makes them feel young again. From the sex to the lifestyle and interests. A 30 yr old woman is still pretty young. Therefore she probably would not date a younger man for these reasons unlike older women in their late 30s, 40s, or early 50s .The vast majority of cougars I've seen or heard about are in their late 30s, 40s, and early 50s.

cutensxy
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2007 1:32:41 PM
pollio, definitely a "faux pas" on my part. Thx for bringing it to my attention.

As far as your comment
anyhow you live so far up in the frozan tundra ,Id be totally worn out by the time I got there.........
You may want to educate yourself on more modern forms of transportation. A flight from L.A. to Montreal takes about the same time as a flight from L.A. to Miami. BTW "frozan" is spelled with and "e".
 prolibertate
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/17/2007 3:32:10 PM
Couple of interesting things found when you Google on cougar...Some see it as a desperate older woman tryign to remain young, while others feel it's simply a woman who knows what she wants and is going out to get it. Frankly, I'm not interested in men that much younger than me as we don't have much in common, our values aren't generally compatible, and while some may be mature many aren't...although many in our own age group fall under that definition also ;) But that may just be the ones *I* come into contact with. IMO, it's something that each person has to figure out for themself; if they meet somone they find wonderful and decide to have a realtionship, age shouldn't be the defining thing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cougar
Cougar 1081 up, 274 down
An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.

http://www.boomersmakingadifference.com/2007/05/cougar_women_up.html
 eb3267
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/17/2007 6:47:54 PM
Dam why did you all have to run Pour away..

I think I need to take lessons.. She's my new hero !! LOL
 EC22
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:20:59 PM

An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.

IMO looks has nothing to with the definition of a cougar. Many cougars can be attractive. Others can look like trash. Obviously the better looking ones will have success unless the younger man takes anything that he can get.
 c_deacon
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2007 9:13:06 PM
As if.......lol......and you want what out of this??????

Hit on you....not hit on you....hit on you.....not hit on you.....that is the question..... And once someone does, you will start to complain about all the young men that just want sex and not a relationship.......as if......

OT.......A cougar is an animal just like the rest of us.....just preys on the small and weak.....lmao......

Just my opinion......
 RainingStarz
Msg: 126
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:39:38 AM
I find that I can easily attract the younger men who are just looking for sex. Problem is, I'd like to find someone attractive who is looking for a relationship. This would entail them having had their children already, as I am in menopause.

I guess I'm just an exception to the rule....I would like a relationship. And most men around here that are my age have not kept themselves up.

I was 45 when my husband died, and he was 38. I've always been attracted to younger men, as long as they are mature enough to be able to sustain a meaningful relationship.

Surely there must be more like me?

Cindy
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 2:05:50 PM
A cougar by definition ,,,is a woman DESIRED by a man who happens to be younger..

that's not quite accurate. Usually the term used to describe older women that men find attractive is MILF. Someone attributed this as a vulgarism but in reality when men use it they mostly mean it as a compliment although a semi-lewd one. They're implying that regardless of age they would like to get you naked. Not rocket science.

Cougar on the other hand implies just the opposite. A cougar is a woman (MILF or not) who is "hunting" younger men. You don't have to be a MILF to be a cougar, it's just a lot easier to succeed if you are.
 phine_likker
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/20/2007 2:16:54 PM
^^

read the psot just above yours?

an older woman who seeks, or 'hunts' (significantly) younger men..
 Hazel eyes 57
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 3:25:09 PM
Gee, I don't feel like a "corpse"!
 cutensxy
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 3:47:51 PM
You don't look like a corpse either. And BTW I would expect part of being a cougar you got to be a "mover & groover" and that would not be congruent with the definition of a corpse:)
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2007 9:09:38 PM

Not really. A cougar is an older woman that desires/chases younger men.

A MILF is a woman desired/chased by younger men.

Much easier to be a MILF than a cougar...unless you're a cougar that's a MILF.
wow that sounds exacvtly like what I would say... oops it is exactly what I said.. ;) see post 147 for details...
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2007 12:08:52 PM

but your defintion of a MILF is not exactly right...
older guys might use the term MILF when describing an attractive woman in their age bracket or younger but that doesn't change the definition or how the word came into play. It's just become such a popular term that many men use to describe attractive women past the age of 30 or so. Lots of men call women MILF even if they have no children. Which while technically not right still conveys a certain meaning. The age that makes someone a MILF really is dependent on the users age or it originally was. If you're 16 and there's a hot 27 yr old neighbor I'm pretty sure they're probably using the word MILF to describe her. The song and video to "Stacies mom" was about being in love with a MILF. I'm not trying to imply that a 50 yr old man can't tell his buddies that a 35 yr old is a MILF and they will totally understand what he means but that's not really how it was originated. The true meaning for the word/acronym is about younger guys finding someone elses mom attractive. Men in the same age bracket or older don't usually use the term mom when describing a woman our age or younger. We just call them women.
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2007 4:32:12 AM
It's just a term to convey a meaning. I'ts certainly not as offensive as what society sometimes calls men who do the same thing. Not that one justifies the other but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty harmless. Half the women on this thread enjoy the "label". A cougar is also a sleek, graceful, athletic thing of beauty. The fact that it implies "hunter" or "predator" is because an olde woman is seen as more worldly and knowledgable and thus in control of the encounter. It's basically an analogy.

If someone calls a woman a "fox" is it seen as derogatory? what about vixen?
 Hot Buttered Soul
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/30/2007 7:08:05 AM
I would consider a cougar to be late 40's.. old enough that her children are over 18.. if they are dependent I would consider them M.I.L.F.S... as my understanding goes...

Cougars aren't restricted to be under 50... but they definately take good care of themselves and have alot of sensual energy... some women just ooze sexuality... even though they aren't doing anything... they just have it... some dont.

Just being in the age group doesnt cut it... the term is specifically sexually oriented..
 WildOnOC
Msg: 160
Posted: 8/28/2007 5:02:22 PM
Okay till I came on POF site. A cougar to me was a tawny colored wild cat. That lived in the mountians. Hunted at night. wieghed out at about 150-200 pounds. So If I take the question you posted literally this is what a cougar is

Correction: A cougar MAY be wearing tawny colored clothing when approaching. This is their disguise in the wild. The difference is these cougars will hunt YOU, not the other way around.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >