Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 c_deacon
Msg: 112
view profile
History
what is a cougar exactly?Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
As if.......lol......and you want what out of this??????

Hit on you....not hit on you....hit on you.....not hit on you.....that is the question..... And once someone does, you will start to complain about all the young men that just want sex and not a relationship.......as if......

OT.......A cougar is an animal just like the rest of us.....just preys on the small and weak.....lmao......

Just my opinion......
 RainingStarz
Msg: 126
what is a cougar exactly?
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:39:38 AM
I find that I can easily attract the younger men who are just looking for sex. Problem is, I'd like to find someone attractive who is looking for a relationship. This would entail them having had their children already, as I am in menopause.

I guess I'm just an exception to the rule....I would like a relationship. And most men around here that are my age have not kept themselves up.

I was 45 when my husband died, and he was 38. I've always been attracted to younger men, as long as they are mature enough to be able to sustain a meaningful relationship.

Surely there must be more like me?

Cindy
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 2:05:50 PM
A cougar by definition ,,,is a woman DESIRED by a man who happens to be younger..

that's not quite accurate. Usually the term used to describe older women that men find attractive is MILF. Someone attributed this as a vulgarism but in reality when men use it they mostly mean it as a compliment although a semi-lewd one. They're implying that regardless of age they would like to get you naked. Not rocket science.

Cougar on the other hand implies just the opposite. A cougar is a woman (MILF or not) who is "hunting" younger men. You don't have to be a MILF to be a cougar, it's just a lot easier to succeed if you are.
 phine_likker
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/20/2007 2:16:54 PM
^^

read the psot just above yours?

an older woman who seeks, or 'hunts' (significantly) younger men..
 Hazel eyes 57
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 3:25:09 PM
Gee, I don't feel like a "corpse"!
 cutensxy
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 3:47:51 PM
You don't look like a corpse either. And BTW I would expect part of being a cougar you got to be a "mover & groover" and that would not be congruent with the definition of a corpse:)
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2007 9:09:38 PM

Not really. A cougar is an older woman that desires/chases younger men.

A MILF is a woman desired/chased by younger men.

Much easier to be a MILF than a cougar...unless you're a cougar that's a MILF.
wow that sounds exacvtly like what I would say... oops it is exactly what I said.. ;) see post 147 for details...
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2007 12:08:52 PM

but your defintion of a MILF is not exactly right...
older guys might use the term MILF when describing an attractive woman in their age bracket or younger but that doesn't change the definition or how the word came into play. It's just become such a popular term that many men use to describe attractive women past the age of 30 or so. Lots of men call women MILF even if they have no children. Which while technically not right still conveys a certain meaning. The age that makes someone a MILF really is dependent on the users age or it originally was. If you're 16 and there's a hot 27 yr old neighbor I'm pretty sure they're probably using the word MILF to describe her. The song and video to "Stacies mom" was about being in love with a MILF. I'm not trying to imply that a 50 yr old man can't tell his buddies that a 35 yr old is a MILF and they will totally understand what he means but that's not really how it was originated. The true meaning for the word/acronym is about younger guys finding someone elses mom attractive. Men in the same age bracket or older don't usually use the term mom when describing a woman our age or younger. We just call them women.
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2007 4:32:12 AM
It's just a term to convey a meaning. I'ts certainly not as offensive as what society sometimes calls men who do the same thing. Not that one justifies the other but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty harmless. Half the women on this thread enjoy the "label". A cougar is also a sleek, graceful, athletic thing of beauty. The fact that it implies "hunter" or "predator" is because an olde woman is seen as more worldly and knowledgable and thus in control of the encounter. It's basically an analogy.

If someone calls a woman a "fox" is it seen as derogatory? what about vixen?
 Hot Buttered Soul
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/30/2007 7:08:05 AM
I would consider a cougar to be late 40's.. old enough that her children are over 18.. if they are dependent I would consider them M.I.L.F.S... as my understanding goes...

Cougars aren't restricted to be under 50... but they definately take good care of themselves and have alot of sensual energy... some women just ooze sexuality... even though they aren't doing anything... they just have it... some dont.

Just being in the age group doesnt cut it... the term is specifically sexually oriented..
 WildOnOC
Msg: 160
Posted: 8/28/2007 5:02:22 PM
Okay till I came on POF site. A cougar to me was a tawny colored wild cat. That lived in the mountians. Hunted at night. wieghed out at about 150-200 pounds. So If I take the question you posted literally this is what a cougar is

Correction: A cougar MAY be wearing tawny colored clothing when approaching. This is their disguise in the wild. The difference is these cougars will hunt YOU, not the other way around.
 fancynanci
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2007 3:35:13 PM
I am definitely a cougar...definitely, without a doubt
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2007 4:32:01 PM
Okay, I'm confused

Am I a Cougar, a MILF or a Leopardess?
(small FYI..I don't "hunt" for men, nor specifically younger men, but I am a mom)

Why do I so NOT feel middle-aged? Geez I hate that term.
 SirJustus
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2007 8:12:02 PM
Cougar----- is a colorful slang word that refers to an older woman, usually in her early 30's or 40's who sexually pursues younger men. The term has been used by motion picture movie Oceans 13 and the NBC reality tv show Age of Love.

To be precise, this colorful word takes the place of old phrase "Age Disparity” Do you see why the word came about, I think most women didn’t like the word “AGE” in their disparity of life.

Know that we have the root word, what is the meaning?

Significant age disparity in sexual relationships has been a feature of couples in many cultures and societies. The most common pattern in heterosexual couples is an older man with a younger woman. This may be brought about as an arranged marriage, or either member may pursue and initiate the relationship. Situations involving a younger male with an older female also exist, and while not as common, it's become considerably more common in recent years. Homosexual relationships of both sexes are also found to exhibit age disparity. In extreme cases, age disparity may be seen as dysfunctional (a paraphilia) if such relationships are pursued to the exclusion of all others and to the detriment of the partners. The term alphamegamia can be used when a person is sexually aroused by partners of a different age group, and "chronophilia” can describe a sexual fixation on members of a different age group.
Factors leading into a search for a younger individual with whom to share an intimate relationship can vary wildly. One motivator may be the excitement and energy of a younger mate, which improves the personal well-being of the older partner. Some older partners may seek the connection with the culture of youth, maintaining a connection with the fashion, the music, the media which their age group has ostensibly outgrown. Lastly, a common perception of younger mates is that they serve the purpose of a "trophy", or object of status; this motive is usually associated with males rather than with females, as there are arguably fewer societal pressures on women to find an attractive mate.
Younger partners may be attracted to older mates out of innate desire, or may be searching for someone who is socially or financially more secure than a potential mate of the own age group. Younger partners, especially those experiencing difficulty finding partners among their peers, may want an older partner for non-economic reasons: an older partner may be wiser, better educated, socially more sophisticated, may have greater emotional respect for a partner, and may have decided that life is too short for common romantic prejudices. A modern stereotype is that of a young adult pursuing relationships with older mates in order to compensate for a lack of parental bond with a mother or father (or both) during childhood.

As a rule of thumb, “half-your-age-plus-seven rule" formula is used to judge yourself if you fit the Age Disparity, and whether the age difference in an intimate relationship is socially acceptable.

Age of the Older Individual + 7 = Minimum Age
Divide by 2
 startle
Msg: 188
Posted: 8/1/2008 8:38:59 PM
a woman should feel free to accept offers of sex, dating, romance, etc from whomever is offering it and not feel self-conscience about age. have fun, enjoy, dont look back and dont apologize for being an older women in demand. i evauate each offer on its merits. looks, personality, attitude etc. come to my throne and state your attributes, child.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2008 8:46:22 PM
Hmm...I'm coming up on cougar age. But sounds like if I prey on boys older than 25 than I should be fine, eh?
 grapevine
Msg: 194
Posted: 8/3/2008 2:42:19 PM
It's a derogatory term, for sure. But all I can say is I've never had to "prowl" for men -- not in my 20s, and not even now. And I'm so older'n dirt! LOL
 grapevine
Msg: 197
Posted: 8/5/2008 2:52:38 AM

Okay so now that we have established the definition of a "cougar", what do you a call a man over 40 who preys on younger women?

"Rich."
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 199
Posted: 8/5/2008 11:02:29 AM
Like that hot 24 years old teacher who had sex with her 15 years old student?
 uniquegeek13
Msg: 202
Posted: 12/17/2008 8:16:39 AM
For more in depth insight on the topic go to http://www.cougarinternational.com
 fancynanci
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 1:40:59 PM
A woman my age (54) who goes for younger men is a cougar
 1osubuckeye
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2011 8:16:42 AM
I get daily emails from the 30 and under group...but as I don't respond, I don't consider myself a cougar.

But if you did, you would consider yourself a cougar?
 1osubuckeye
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2011 8:19:18 AM
There is no status or age limitation to cougars really. I've hooked up with a few older women, but I'd say it's somebody past mid 30s that seeks out younger college grad aged guys with heavy intentions of lust or lustfully encouraged love. Hey, if they are attractive enough, then I'm all down for some cougars.
 frobin2
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2011 12:02:32 PM
My friend just finish an ebook called The Cougar Manifesto, that breaks how to date, attract, and hook up with cougars CONSISTENTLY!

The guys name is Fred Moody, and we called him the Cougar Hunter, because when we go out to bars, 95% of the time, the first cougar he walks up to he ends up going home with.

True story - One time he was talking to this older woman with her husband. When her husband went to the bathroom, she grabs him and started making out with him hardcore.

He's great at explaining what it takes to date and hook up with cougars, and I've gotten success myself just from learning from him.

Do yourself a favor, and go to www.COUGARMANIFESTO.com and pick up a copy of his ebook. Even check out the video, he looks like an average dude..nothing special about him but hes getting more cougar tail than he knows what to do with.

Go to www.COUGARMANIFESTO.com right now. The book is only 12 dollars...mad cheap
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >