Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of Roc      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 26
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in RockNRollPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Late I like your knowledge on the topic.But I msut say that Freed was NOT the first to call it RocknRoll....he popularized the term to the masses of white youth.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 27
Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in RockNRoll
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:08:46 AM
Elvis was the Vanilla Ice/Eminem of RockNRoll.
 tower888
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:35:05 AM
A question about the most influential people in Rock, and nobody mentions the Beatles (or did I just miss it?)?! They certainly did not start rock and roll, but they more or less created the idea of the "rock band" that we still have with us today. They played instruments and sang. After their early career they wrote their own songs. They made videos. Their band inspired countless future rock stars to start bands. I don't know if they were the "most" influential, but their influence is undeniable.

As far as "who started rock", that could be debated forever, since it was a mixing of various genres. As to who first popularized it, I always thought is was accepted historical fact that Bill Haley and the Comets were the first rock group to achieve national popularity (with "Rock Around The Clock" in 1955)??
 tower888
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:35:33 AM
A question about the most influential people in Rock, and nobody mentions the Beatles (or did I just miss it?)?! They certainly did not start rock and roll, but they more or less created the idea of the "rock band" that we still have with us today. They played instruments and sang. After their early career they wrote their own songs. They made videos. Their band inspired countless future rock stars to start bands. I don't know if they were the "most" influential, but their influence is undeniable.

As far as "who started rock", that could be debated forever, since it was a mixing of various genres. As to who first popularized it, I always thought is was accepted historical fact that Bill Haley and the Comets were the first rock group to achieve national popularity (with "Rock Around The Clock" in 1955)??
 late™
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:35:43 AM
Late I like your knowledge on the topic.But I msut say that Freed was NOT the first to call it RocknRoll....he popularized the term to the masses of white youth.

But I msut say that Freed was NOT the first to call it RocknRoll....he popularized the term to the masses of white youth.

Hence my qualifier "popularize".

"Rock n' Roll" was originally an old vernacularism for "F U C K I N G".

The music itself has it's roots in many genres of music, all of which existed many decades before the genre of R n' R became mainstream.

To exclude any of the following genres, and their pioneers (yes, going back to the dawn of the 20th century)......is to show a lack of understanding of the "influences" that birthed rock n' roll, the progeny of many mothers and fathers.

Blues
Bluegrass
Western Swing
Gospal (Spirituals)
Boogie Woogie
Country

The common link in all of these "parents" is the reliance on the I, IV, V, .....progression.

I always thought is was accepted historical fact that Bill Haley and the Comets were the first rock group to achieve national popularity (with "Rock Around The Clock" in 1955)??

These guys made a career out of co-opting "Jump" music, a genre pioneered by folks like Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, et al, ....and was hinted at in the 30's by folks like Slim Galliard and many others. As the OP states, ....the real roots and influences are further back in time than people realize, especially those whose knowlege of music history is from "pop culture".
 tower888
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:38:05 AM
not sure why my post appeared twice?? Sorry!
 cat_in_hat
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:39:58 AM

The common link in all of these "parents" is the reliance on the I, IV, V, .....progression

aren't these called the twelve bar-blues? i get the feeling robert johnson had a huge role in influencing rock and roll. i don't know why though.........
 late™
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:44:21 AM

aren't these called the twelve bar-blues?

Not necessarily, a twelve bar can be I, V, ....or II, V, I, or even a vamp form(*somewhat implied changes)

The I, IV, V, structure is seen in many forms, it's not limited to blues.
 cat_in_hat
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/2/2005 11:47:17 AM
ahh, i see thanks.
 late™
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/2/2005 12:04:16 PM
Robert Johnson, like most "Juke" musicians of his day played blues, ...... and ragtime, .....and country, .... and was even known to play a polka or two.

His influence is real, yes, .....but due to myth and legend, not as much as some would think.
 rory27
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2005 4:53:47 PM
The farther back you go, the sketchier and more problematic the history becomes. For instance, some have said Son House ripped off Robert Johnson's style on guitar. Others, that Johnson, as a quiet, youthful Son House worshipper, learned for a long time from the Master.

Blind Boy Fuller is a seminal blues figure, and though he created the Piedmont style, created tunes from chain-gang call-and-response, church gospel, rag tunes, etc from the 19th century......

This is just to further the point: popularization does not equal influence. Even the rock legends that everyone knows: Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Clapton, and others, credit the '20's - '30's blues artists for their influence.

In addition, many latter day rockers (not the fans, though that's apparent), know very little of rock roots pre-Beatles, but nevertheless incorporate rythyms, moods, phrasing, attitudes, even specific riffs into their songs that have been done long before and which are just subconsciously part of the rock landscape.
 late™
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/2/2005 5:22:26 PM
Amen bro'

That rock n' roll is one unruly, rambunctious, b@stard child, .......shaw nuff!!!!!!!
 sweetemotion
Msg: 38
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/3/2005 2:34:40 AM
"the sketchier and more problematic the history becomes"
Yes,this is true,but there are things that can be varified as opposed to being rumored and or linked.This is why I disagree with the notion of blugrass for example having a real enfluence on RockNRoll.Jazz,Gospel and Blues for sure.......still at the point of which the artform left the loins of Blues after being suckled by Jazz and inspired by grandparent gospel it became RockNRoll certainly this happened before the 50's.
RockNRoll's history is rather unclearly documented due to the fact that the pioneers/orignators were poor and African descendents in a society that was segregated by law and most practices and disregarded by that society.When artist who played jazz meet with artist who played blues in Juke Joints a flow was created with gospel singers.Some called the music "jump" because its what it made people do.As with Jazz and Blues white artist who heard it were drawn to it,would sit in sessions and jam.This is true of Bill Haley who was more of a country/bluegrass artist before.Carl Perkins as well.
 eryche420
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/3/2005 2:47:22 AM
Off the subject slightly, most influential band for Heavy Metal I feel is Judas Priest, who are on tour now with the original line up, with Queensryche, Black Label Society, and possible some shows with Iron Maiden as well, for opening bands. Queensryche is playing only pre-mindcrime songs in their setlist.
 robman
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/14/2005 6:00:25 PM
elvis by far he had the best voice and the best song and lots of them too
unlike other artists who only had a few hit songs
 TenthFloorDweller
Msg: 42
 OnTheBus
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/14/2005 7:47:16 PM
I cant believe no one mentioned Fabian, or Bobby Vinton

Dulcet
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/14/2005 8:00:45 PM
Fabian, Bobby Vinton
 deejayehn
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/17/2005 12:05:03 AM
Motorhead
Chuck Berry
David Bowie
Elvis
Beatles
Pink Floyd
 MidnightChild
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/17/2005 1:08:04 AM
There are too many influences to just name 1. Elvis, the Beatles, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Chuck Berry from the early days.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/17/2005 2:55:20 PM
1)Wynonnie Harris
2)Big Joe Turner
3)Louis Jordan

All had better voices than Elvis and were Rocking before he was born.Elvis is the Vanilla Ice of RockNRoll.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/17/2005 3:06:40 PM
I ONLY list Harris ahead of Turner and Jordan because definativly the line between "Jump" and RockNRoll (if there is truely 1) was crossed by a song recorded by Harris in '46
Turner arguably actually recorded RockNRoll/Jump tunes in the late 30's/early40's....................ok.....put him ahead of Harris
Certainly the triaumphant of Turner/Jordan/Harris are the key to the "line" between "Blues Holler","JumpNJive", Bassie/Duke's "Boogie" and RockNRoll.
Can there even be a dispute of this?
 Reids
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/17/2005 3:45:17 PM
So much to read but I'd have to give some kudos to Robert Johnson
 jstud9000
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/1/2005 1:09:49 AM
no contest frank zappa ever hear of that **** tipper gore
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Name the artist you feel was the most infulential in the birth of RockNRoll