Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > smoking, nicotine patches...& quit smoking...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hilly02
Msg: 50
smoking, nicotine patches...& quit smoking...Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think it's been about 3 months now.......I wonder if not remembering when I last smoked means I have actually won this time?
Still gag for one sometimes but.......
 gingerosity
Msg: 51
view profile
History
smoking, nicotine patches...& quit smoking...
Posted: 11/27/2012 2:56:02 AM
Good for you!

I wonder if not remembering when I last smoked means I have actually won this time?

Either that or the smoking-related cognitive decline has already set in :-)

http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/11/20/ageing.afs166.short?rss=1
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2007.130294
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.93.6.994
 3ffervescent
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2012 3:35:08 AM
"Objectives. We studied the effect of smoking on cognitive decline over a 5-year period at middle age (43 to 70 years)."
Read More: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2007.130294

I am 42, almost 43 -- I am about to hit middle age?

Man, that sucks--

I remember when my Dad had a mid life crisis -- he was in his late 40's,
he joined a biker gang and left his second wife---
surely, I am not expected to get a motorcycle (I haven't even ridden a scooter)
--and I don't have any intention to have a 3rd wife like him...

Oh, and congrats Hilly for beating smoking---
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/3/2012 7:20:49 PM

I wonder if not remembering when I last smoked means I have actually won this time?
Either that or the smoking-related cognitive decline has already set in :-)

That surprises me. I was reading a while back that smokers don't get alzheimers. And once you quit, for each year after you quit your chances of getting it steadily increase until you're as at risk as someone who never smoked. Something to do with how it stimulates the neurotransmitters. Researchers are looking into whether they can harness this one health benefit of smoking, and work out a way to achieve the same result without the cache of bad that comes with smoking. So maybe Hilly's smoking was the only thing keeping her alzheimers at bay, and now that she's quit it has set in rapidly. Seems likely.

This reminded me to update my profile to smoke-free. :p Looking forward to cheaper insurance when I get to the one year mark. I miss the excess dopamine, but don't miss the cost and stress of maintaining the habit. Still hooked hard on paddlepop cyclones.
 ChowFun
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/3/2012 9:25:13 PM
People who refuse to believe all the cigarette corporations who unduly come up with all the propaganda to keep people smoking and then choose to believe this ^^^ little gem. smh.
 Aardente
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/3/2012 11:28:13 PM
yeah, sad how they are moving in to countries who can least afford the public health and personal health consequences of smoking - africa and asia etc.

I wonder what kind of ethics people have wqho work for these organbisations - not the people in factories struggling to survive, I feel for them but rather the executives and marketting people - how do they sleep at night - I suspect they justify it by talking about free choice - curiously the same free choice that gets eradicated by adding a chemical to make the things addictive.

rant over ha.

Paul.
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/4/2012 4:45:23 PM
smh.

Shaking your head as an automatic response to the very suggestion that nicotine can possibly offer some form of protection against alzheimers purely on the basis that it’s not PC to say anything nice about nicotine?…or shaking your head cos you’ve looked into this and found the science lacking? Of course if the science says it doesn’t help…great, case closed…but given what I’ve read I would smh right back at ya if you were dismissing the theory purely on the basis of hating tobacco companies and being so conditioned to be so anti-nicotine to the point of becoming incapable of processing the thought that there might be any positives. You're right to be suspicious of tobacco companies of course. They’re a nasty business. But still, no sense throwing the baby out with the ashtray. Or something like that.

Why I did any reading on it at all was purely because when I stopped smoking I was trying to better understand the nature of the addiction I was contending with (know thine enemy etc). The alzheimers stuff I came across by the by. But it seems that we have these particular receptors in our brains that are of course meant to receive something else, but when they get a load of nicotine… boom…it’s like a good girl falling for a bad boy. The brain of a smoker actually grows more of these receptors, and the whole effect is heightened. This is but a much simplified explanation of just one part of the chemical changes that go on in the brain of a smoker that make sense of why it’s such a hard addiction to kick. Anyone can google “nicotinic acetylcholine receptors” if they want the detailed greek alphabet version. Anyhoo… scientists all seem to agree that at the onset of alzheimers these same receptors that I am talking about are found to have depleted in the brain. The fact that smoking and alzheimers are associated with two opposite scenarios in relation to these receptors is probably why researchers have suspected for a while now that nicotine might have something to offer in the treatment of alzheimers. It’s got nowt to do with tobacco companies. And to be clear, nobody at all is suggesting that anyone should smoke or keep smoking as per your expressed concerns, but researchers are trying to understand and find a way to replicate what nicotine does to these receptors in order to prevent and treat alzheimers. Parkinsons too I think. It’s all quite interesting.

I hadn’t tried googling it from the alzheimers end before because it was never my primary interest, but will share this as a tip of iceberg type of reference:

Nicotine has been shown to improve cognitive performance in non-smokers according to a study published in Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
Previous short-term studies with nicotine have shown attention and memory improvement in people with Alzheimer's disease. This study looked the effects of nicotine on people with mild cognitive impairment, which is the stage between normal aging and dementia when people have mild memory or thinking problems but no significant disability.
The study was published in the January 10, 2012, print issue of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=1141
 Hilly02
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/5/2012 3:51:32 AM
^^^I didn't even know what SMH meant so the alzheimer's must be well and truly advancing. Still, at least I won't realise im becoming old and crinkley!
 kiki291981
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2012 8:46:28 PM
cold turkey is the best way to quit
 Gingergeekqld
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/7/2012 4:45:23 AM
Mrs Naamah, and anyone else for that matter

All drugs have side effects, nicotine is a drug, for its many bad side effects i'm not surprised if it actually has a few up sides.

For one, with medical backing, it was used in an episode of 'House' as a way to ease "intestinal" pain. ok it was partly tongue in cheek, but it was linked to some credible evidence.

Nicotine replaces a drug in the brain, it is non hallucinegenic but is very hard to quit as the nicotine works faster than the natural chemials in the brain. consult the great god google, i'm not your mother. This explains why Smokers tend to be "irritable" or over controlled as nicotine is either in deficit or dominates the nervous system. So if nicotine replaces a certain drug faster into your brain, i'm not surprised it also halts the onset of certain ilnesses because of that. Your brain can't concoct the drug fast enough anymore? why not nicotine to do it for you?

I've never smoked, it has never appealed to me... but science is a tad more absloute.

Cheers
Andrew
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > smoking, nicotine patches...& quit smoking...