Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Hippiedom      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 26
HippiedomPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

World peace was a pipe dream then ...
Note the word "pipe". LOL
 ~DRaGoNFyrE~
Msg: 27
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 5:10:52 PM
I was born and raised in a small fishing village in Nova Scotia and there were no hippys. But the teenagers in the neighborhood had all the music, while at my house my parents listened to Johnny Cash and such. I remember '68, 89.70 pretending i wanted to play Barbie dolls with a neighbor kid so i could sneak over to hear the music her older sister and her friends listened to. Tommy James...o i still go back when i hear him.
In 1971 i went to Conneticut to spend the summer with my 12 year old cousin. I was 12, i went there in pigtails and little girl clothes and came back a hippy. That summer i spent running around in my 16 year old cousins red convertible. She took us two 12 year olds to New York city without her parents knowing it, i saw my first hippy, kissed my first man, a big 20 year old Italian guy who thought i was 16, i discovered psychedelic ponchos (orange, pink and green, gross), got chased through the woods at a rock festival by a naked hippy...man that summer was so great. That summer i grew up. When my Dad met me at the airport he almost didnt recognize me, long hair hanging down, hippy clothes, bare feet, beads, peace signs...i still miss those days...
 Woodstar
Msg: 28
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:29:18 PM
I posted somewhere else about how I read an article about communes in the northwest back in 1971 and promised I would live there someday. I've lived in that area now for about 15 years. I didn't realize it until one night I was visiting some friends who own a great house in the woods by a year round creek. We were talking about old communes when I shared my story. Someone piped up and said the article was about them! I was sitting in the living room of one of those communes!!!

I lived in another commune here in Oregon for about ten years. Just recently moved out but I'm still on the board. Yep, folks communes have boards and are now called intentional communities.

I still where my tye dyes, still occassionally take a toke, still listen to the music (and the new stuff too). Yes, there is current political music out there.

One of the local folks in this small town was remembering how helpful and nice the hippies were. She couldn't figure out where they had gone. Then I started naming some of the movers and shakers around here...she had no idea they were the same people as those barefooted youngsters who moved up here in the late 60's. She was definetly impressed when she realized who they were.

The hippie movement never died. They raised wonderful children. The joke is "where did all the hippies go?" answer: Oregon and anyplace where nature needed to be nutured and to nuture.

Peace
 dhubsith
Msg: 29
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 8:01:06 PM

The joke is "where did all the hippies go?" answer: Oregon and anyplace where nature needed to be nutured and to nuture.

Some came to New Mexico too. There are a lot of "artist communities" in the state, well many of the artists are old hippies. There are quite a few people around here that have a "tread lightly" lifestyle. The environment here is quite different form Oregon, arid rather than rain forest, much more fragile, really, but it has its own special beauty.
 Woodstar
Msg: 30
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 8:05:18 PM
Still alive and kickin...it!
 Girlflower
Msg: 32
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 1:25:25 PM
Heck my groups were The Doors and Kinks.... still get nostalgic when I here the "old" stuff. Since I lived overseas during the era.. jumped from Go-Go Girl to Surfer Girl to Hippy Dippy Chick. Had a load of friends travel across Europe in an old London taxi cab that they sold in Greece and flew into Beirut to visit me... aaaaah but that is another story.. Ain't life just one interesting chapter after the other???? Memories like the corners of my mind.... Who else had Salvatore Dali magazine pictures as a collage on their Dorm Wall?

Girlflower for a reason.....
 ORCAANNA
Msg: 33
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 1:32:08 PM
For Sure!! Far- out, Peace, Put it in the bag! Put it in your pipe....You're a Freak!!- I am trying to remember some of the hippie slang words back then- Anybody have any more to add to this far- out list??
 Krekker50
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 2:20:28 PM
Oh I didnt let it go by me, LOL I got to Haight Ashbury in the fall of 66. Joind a commune there. The next spring I was sharing a joint with a friend when I heard on the radio that song
" if your going to san francisco besure to ware flowes in your hair" . There wasnt too many people on the side walks then, but after that song within tow weeks you couldnt hardly walk down the street ther were so many people.

Guess I am still a hippie type
 Woodstar
Msg: 35
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:39:27 PM
I remember driving (or walking ) down a street and seeing the sign that said "stop a head"....needless to say my friends and I always shouted out to each other..."STOP!"
 Woodstar
Msg: 36
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:42:12 PM
Then there was always..."farm out!" or "left in!"...lets not forget the famous words..."there's a bathroom on the right!" more commonly remembered as "there's a bad moon on the rise".

I loved and still love the way we can laugh at ourselves...is that PC...NOT!
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 37
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:48:54 PM
I wonder what happened to my "Keep On Truckin' teeshirt. I loved that teeshirt. It was like a teeshirt to me. I still wear my jean jacket, will always wear the jean jacket. Long live the jean jacket!!
 bayrab
Msg: 38
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:11:31 PM
still got a jean jacket too and now I can fit back into it again, LOL!

remember patch jeans??? hd some that looked like a crazy quilt.. and a flag on the butt,

the one thing I didn't get into tho was patchouli oil. I was more of a strawberry girl... LOL

chris
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 39
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:15:19 PM
Remember the Head shops? The aromatic smells of incense wafting through the air? AAAWWWW. I still have my old bong, it's probably a collector's item now. Maybe I'll use it for a flower vase. I miss my old black lite posters to, even though I never bought the black lite, lol.
 bayrab
Msg: 40
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:19:29 PM
hehehe, there was and still is a section of kansas city c`alled Westport. It's where the headshops were and coffee houses... remember those... folk singers, smokey rooms, weird coffees and drinks.

First heard Brewer and Shipley in a coffee house in Kansas city. One tok over the line, LOL
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 41
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:34:23 PM

the one thing I didn't get into tho was patchouli oil.
Oh I WAS a patchouli oil hippie...
and STILL a patchouli oil wearer. ~smile~

Jean jacket? yep, have one.
Still get a chill hearing Janis Joplin? yep, absolutely.
Garcia? yep! and on and on.

And I've managed to keep the "peace and love" as a center to my life.
A good accomplishment, I think.
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 42
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:35:31 PM
LOL... bayrab, now I have that "one toke over the line, sweet Jesus" tune stuck in my head!!!!!!!
 canyunflyer
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:53:14 PM
ahhh, Yes... I stepped back onto american soil in april of 1970 after 3 and a half years in the navy, which included two tours in vietnam...and instantly entered the 'Hippie leage'! I swallowed it, lock stock and barrel. I have a lot of memories from those days. But, mostly... I have "sobered" up from all the ridiculous ideology and leftest hysterics which seemed so wonderful and fun at the time. there are parts of the Hippy stuff that will always be precious to me. A lot of it has been mentioned here. But today, when I see the aging balding old hippies with the thin little pony tails still trying to lead an anti-war protest... I am very embarrased for them. In my humble opionion, they still just...'don't get it'. Don't get me wrong, I know their intentions are good. Its just that their ideology is silly and completely unrealistic and has nothing to do with what is actually going on. I understand that now.

I wore my hair...(which was thick, wavy and beautiful) down to my belt... for over a quarter of a century. So.... I am not a reactionary cop out. I can still grow a great head of long hair at 61 yrs old...if I want. I relate more to Indians than hippies.

If ya want to get some straight stuff that will challange your zealous liberalism (if you are still infected with it..ha!) try listening to AM talk radio. Thats where you will hear some common sense.

But, to this day.... let me see a leggy , small breasted woman in a summer top with one of those wispy gauss hippy dresses... and, I am in Love! ha.
 rocker48
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:38:00 PM
In 65 I was 17 just like jackson brown's song, I was livin in the burbs of Toronto going to yorkville ever weekend to find like minded people, trying to score a lid and not get ripped off. Worldly possesions were your albums, a guitar and a green garbage bag of clothes. How priorities change, now I've been working in the same job for 25 years and getting ready to retire next year.
The music lives on and some of the kids like it too.
BTW earth shoes is what gave roots there start, another couple of old hippies
peace-love-dove Rocker
 Girlflower
Msg: 45
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 4:23:16 AM
Remember ironing your hair straight? Turning your jeans inside out and sewing them to you, then wearing them wet to form them to your Bod???? In 67 during the middle east 6 day war I ended up in Athens with my family.. well put on the bikini.. had my two brothers help me zip myself in and went to the beach...by bus Man!! well when I finished swimming I had to get those suckers back on alone..... rotf.... thought I'd end up walking through town in my bikini........!! I made most of my own clothes back then I remember the fringed mini skirts and vests... was big on vests.. never did get one of those sheep skin jackets! We called earth shoes jesus boots... those old thongs with the tire treads on the bottom.... the cambray shirts I embrodried with peace symbols and flowers... and lol I still have the ankh and love beads! Did you have crusader cross, too? Ravi Shankar.. buddie rich... wipe out baby! Went to school with Miles Copeland... he had a Mastiff dog and we'd hop on his back and rub his ears and the pooch would moan.. we called him our Houndaaaaa 50. Joni Mitchell at Woodstock and the Isle of Mann concert!!!! The spanish steps in Rome, Berlin in 68.. But my dad was in Vietman by then.. both brothers in the service...had to hold the My country right or wrong attitude... we had it all back then too bad the kids today just can't Get It!!! Peace and love brothers and sisters... Ban the Bomb.

If you really are nostalgic for hippydom.. there is a group on eons.com called Hippys for Life... free site for our ... mymymymy generation!
 firstlight
Msg: 46
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 5:13:36 AM
Now this is truly a boomer thread. I was born on the tail end of the boomer generation so I never got to be a hippie. By the time I was in high school my "type" were called the burnouts, and rightly so. But if you tell my kids that I will firmly deny it! (LOL)
Speaking of concerts though, I am looking forward to the 4th of July when Jefferson Starship will be playing near my home. I will be there and I was going to say with bells on but maybe I will make that: with flowers in my hair!
 ORCAANNA
Msg: 47
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 5:33:43 AM
I remember my first apartment, and its furniture that i collected in my travels up and down the streets in Minneapolis. First, my rent was 90 dollars a month, and sometimes, it was tough to make it. So sometimes, i would do the daily labor thing with a fake social security number, so it wouldn't be reported as income. Anyway - 90 bucks a month, electric was like 8 bucks. We would go to the store and buy like 10 mac ans cheezes, and then campbells tomato soup, for a song, and have a whole bunch of pasta cheesey dinners. My first visit to a co-op, got me all i wanted for next six months, because i ran the co-op!! The owner had skipped off to india. Back to the furniture- well i had a huge tapestry hung across the living room, and where that ended, i had a fishing net stretched out- to complete the wall. Plants were all over the place, and bean bags were plopped up , on the braided rug, in the living room. No entertainment center- we just made do playing 8- tracks. Book case , made almost all out of cement blocks. Our dining room had a massive table and chairs in it, as well as a coffin, on top of the table, that belonged to a roomie of mine, who was learning magic!! Sometimes, if we had a stoner party, he would freak a whole bunch of people out, by lying in it, and waiting until everyone was buzzed, and then he would jump out!!Water beds were just starting to happen- and i had one of them. sort of lumpy, wavy.
 Girlflower
Msg: 48
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 6:28:54 AM
Went to a party and I was the "hostess" for a student abroad... Hump Etchmetchian (never forgot the name).... ! little prude that I was back then... (hahahahahaha waiting for marriage I was...lol) he opens his apartment door naked... and proceeded to have the party in the nude... did I get an eyefull... gee the good ol days....lol.... I still have some of the art I did back them... kinda of fun to look at those designs we used.. nothing like looking back and finding that happy go lucky person we all were...
 cdn_guy
Msg: 49
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 9:55:00 AM
Aaaahh ... patchouli oil. I'd almost forgotten about that scent. My first real love back in the 60's was a patchouli oil girl. I've not smelled that scent since back then, but I'm sure if I did, it would all come back, as vivid as the day I last said good-bye to her -- the way the sunlight glistened in her auburn hair, the way the breeze blew against her pretty summer dress, those purple and white spring flowers that she liked so much, the way she could never quite tune her guitar by herself ... and that smile ... oh yes, that smile ... could melt a man in seconds.

Mmmmmm ... the scent of patchouli oil.

cdn guy
 am70sguy
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 9:57:33 AM
It passed by????
I guess I should have gotten the clue when they quit making the mens levie big bells...
 bayrab
Msg: 51
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/20/2007 11:56:16 AM
easier in what w ay, artz? In that we didnt need a bottle of ibuprofen after??? hahaha or in that chicks were easier to catch back then....

easier doesn't always = better.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Hippiedom